AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 36 42.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 41.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 10.59%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.18%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-08-13, 10:12   Link #61
Gohan78
Awakened One
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northern Italy
Tomoe is the Mycroft to Houtaro's Sherlock. She probably bought "A corpse by evening" at last year's Kanya Festival (she is an alumni of that school after all). However it was a bit too convenient that she had the doujinshi with her.

As for Mayaka's situation, I think the bullying will stop. The Vocaloid cosplayers are just Kouchi's cronies. If sempai tells them that she made peace with Mayaka, they won't bully her anymore. I'd love to see the manga club again in a future episode.

I also like to believe that Kugayama got the message from Tanabe. The president said "Good job" specifically to Tanabe after mentioning the Juumoji incident to the crowd. At the very least he guessed the "culprit".

Anyway, a really fantastic conclusion to the best arc in Hyouka. I loved how all the various subplots came together under the common theme of "expectations". Not a single scene in this arc was wasted. Bravo KyoAni!
__________________
Tibi, magnum Innominandum,
signa stellarum nigrarum
et bufaniformis Sadoquae sigilim.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline  
Old 2012-08-13, 10:14   Link #62
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hahahahahahahahaha
Age: 25
A very satisfying conclusion to this arc. I almost cried at Mayaka's scene. I didn't expect that.
__________________
A politically ignorant person who embraces only hedonism as the main philosophical doctrine.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline  
Old 2012-08-13, 10:42   Link #63
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Actually, I meant exactly what I said.
I never wrote, or implied, that you didn't.

I wrote that I think that you might be putting it too strongly. In other words, I don't think that I fully agree with you.


Quote:
Wherever people gather together, a pressure to conform will naturally arise. As the gathering steadily becomes larger, the need for conformity grows stronger along with it.
I would put it differently. Whenever people gather together in sufficiently large numbers a desire (if not need) for there to be a leader of the group manifests itself. In having such a leader, inequality is not merely tolerated, but downright codified.

These leaders are entrusted with powers and responsibilities that the average person doesn't have. Hierarchies (which have inherent inequality) often, if not typically, also come into play. The leader is expected to generally reflect the norms and traditions of the society that s/he arises within, but s/he's also entrusted in shaping/evolving those norms and traditions to at least some degree. Leaders are somewhat limited by cultural norms, traditions, and laws, but not entirely so.


Quote:
Such is what I believe to be the birth of society as we know it, so I don't think it's too much to say that society is founded on principles of egalitarianism, but I digress.
Well, then I disagree with you. Society is founded on the principle of entrusting leaders to help guide society and represent its collective will, be those leaders Kings, Queens, Presidents, Prime Ministers, Premiers, Governors, Mayors, Priests, Police Chiefs, CEOs, Managers, etc..

Society is not founded on egalitarianism, imo. It respects egalitarianism to a degree, just like it respects individualism to a degree, but that is all.


Quote:
I didn't mean to undermine the idea of individualism, but I honestly interpreted the show's take on the whole talent inequality thing as predominantly pessimistic, which was probably enhanced the melancholic feel of the entire episode.
While I respect that interpretation, my own is different. I think this episode is bittersweet, in the way that I already described in a previous post.

Did Mayaka and Satoshi seem all that unhappy in the final scene of this episode? Sure, there's some sadness there, but I don't think I'd call it melancholic.
__________________

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-08-13 at 10:58.
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2012-08-13, 10:47   Link #64
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
so..... this 'expectation arc' finally get its conclusion....

this inferiority's feeling between the players are very huge....
Chitanda - Iris
Fukube - Houtarou
Ibara's senpai - Anjou Haruna
Vice president Tanabe - President Kugayama

Mayaka and Satoshi also have some development in their relationship.... I think I can imagine some scene after Mayaka try to comfort Fukube.. xD

and Houtarou... you're awesome... xD
I just can't believe all of this stuffs are started because they want to sell overprinted anthologies
neatly done!
__________________

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline  
Old 2012-08-13, 13:19   Link #65
GalacticPulsar
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 19
Actually looking back at the previous episodes, this was not the first time Oreki manipulated someone. In ep 3,he manipulated Tōgaito(the guy who was smoking in the classroom) into returning the anthologies to the Classics Club .
GalacticPulsar is offline  
Old 2012-08-13, 16:04   Link #66
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
This was a very disappointing conclusion to the arc.

They really wanted to push out this idea about the genius who us common people always have to look up to and feel inadequate to in comparison, and that sometimes this genius may not even like using their talents that much for a specific task.

The arc came down to this same realization on three different fronts: Oreki with the student council President who wanted his friend to keep working on the manga, Mayaka's senpai who could never make as good as manga as her friend, and of course Satoshi with the fact that he feels he could never match Oreki.

Sorry but really? We waited all these episodes for this? On a narrative level I just find this a tad underwhelming.

I appreciated the development of Satoshi in this arc very much, it was lovely seeing his outer exterior crack a little bit in the face of his jealousy. However, having the entire arc be about the same thing to me was just a bit too redundant for my own liking.

I also have a sense of being led around by the nose by Mayaka's character arc. She gets treated like crap, and then it ends like that? I don't really see any meaningful growth on her front when initially I thought it might be going somewhere more interesting. Just not a terribly interesting turn of events.

Not going to even get started on how stupid the conclusion to Chitanda's little character arc was either.

Yeah mark Kanya festival as the second worst arc after EBA.
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2012-08-13, 19:36   Link #67
Snuffle
likes cute things
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Searching for more imoutos
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I also have a sense of being led around by the nose by Mayaka's character arc. She gets treated like crap, and then it ends like that? I don't really see any meaningful growth on her front when initially I thought it might be going somewhere more interesting. Just not a terribly interesting turn of events.

Not going to even get started on how stupid the conclusion to Chitanda's little character arc was either.

Yeah mark Kanya festival as the second worst arc after EBA.
I would question whether this was the worst arc in the series considering there aren't many happy and fun events like the cooking contest or the quiz show (aside from the hot springs). However, I would have to concur with pretty much everything else you've said.

Mayaka's arc had some interesting happenings but felt cut short. I'm hoping there would be some sort of continuation to conclude her character development (even if it's only her by herself thinking), otherwise, it would just look like some sort of filler.

But um ya... Chitanda... What was the point in all that? It probably could've had some meaning, but maybe it was just executed poorly? She doesn't need to know how to persuade people like Irisu... She already has her own effective way of doing that _without_ making the other party feel like shit.
Snuffle is offline  
Old 2012-08-13, 22:13   Link #68
Julio C
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara
Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Can somebody explain Mayaka's situation and why she cried at the end? I was left confused. Was the girl she was talking to, the one who did the manga? I just go the impression that it was that, but I am unsure. Still pretty emotional.
__________________
Julio C is offline  
Old 2012-08-13, 22:35   Link #69
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Can somebody explain Mayaka's situation and why she cried at the end? I was left confused. Was the girl she was talking to, the one who did the manga? I just go the impression that it was that, but I am unsure. Still pretty emotional.
That short hair girl was Mayaka senpai, the one being a huge bitch throughout this arc. Do you recall Mayaka looking for "A corpse by evening", to bring to her senpai? Well instead of that manga, she found another "Body Talks", but that manga was not on the same level as "A corpse by evening" (but it was still good). Well the irony was, that manga belong to this senpai, that Mayaka is feuding with. She only figure it out, thanks to the cat drawing, because it was the icon of that manga as well (back of book). My memory bit fuzzy, but I recall it thanks to the flashback.

Mayaka x Fuka-chan!
__________________
vansonbee is offline  
Old 2012-08-14, 00:28   Link #70
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Making metal ... for fish
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Can somebody explain Mayaka's situation and why she cried at the end? I was left confused. Was the girl she was talking to, the one who did the manga? I just go the impression that it was that, but I am unsure. Still pretty emotional.
The girl she was talking to was one of the cosplayers (and one of her seniors) at the start of the arc, Ayako Kouchi. The one with the Vocaloid cosplayer hangers-on. Mayaka gets into a debate with Kouchi about whether or not "masterpieces" exist, and if it's possible for a work to be born a "masterpiece." She mentions a one-off work called A Corpse By Evening and says she'll bring it the next day, so that the other girl can see what she's talking about.

As it turns out, Mayaka can't find A Corpse By Evening, but does find another one called Body Talk, which she thinks is good as well, and still many levels above hers.

When she tells Kouchi that she couldn't find A Corpse By Evening, Kouchi's friends suggest that Mayaka was just doing an ass-pull to get them off her back. Kouchi tells her friends that if they hadn't heard of the work, then they should kindly STFU.

At the end of the arc, Mayaka ends up borrowing Oreki's copy of A Corpse By Evening, and she brings it to Kouchi. As it turns out, she already had a copy of the work, and she kindof agrees with Mayaka about the nature of masterpieces . . . so much so that she stopped reading A Corpse By Evening halfway through and buried it at the back of her closet so she'd never have to see it again, and so she could be in denial about the nature of masterpieces.

Kouchi reveals that she knew the writer of A Corpse By Evening, and felt a substantial inferiority complex toward the writer . . . since the writer was not a big fan of manga . . . and yet, the writer came up with a masterpiece manga as her very first (and as far as she knew only) entry in the field. While doing this, she sketches some graffiti on the rail.

Kouchi, obviously distraught, tells Mayaka that she refuses to read A Corpse By Evening, because then she'd be overwhelmed by how OMG AWESOME it is, and she'd be eagerly awaiting more work from the writer . . . which isn't going to ever happen.

After Kouchi leaves, Mayaka looks at the doodle on the rail, and realizes that it's the logo from the back of Body Talk. The same manga that she'd previously asserted that, while not the masterpiece that A Corpse By Evening was, it was still "a hundred levels" above her work.

It then hits her that she'd been debating about masterpieces with a girl whose own work was significantly better than her's . . . a girl so crushed by a non-fan manga genius that she's retreated to the safety of denial. In other words, she'd fought with a girl who'd already fought the same battle over masterpieces, talents, innate talents, and expectations that those of lesser talent hold of those of greater talent, lost miserably, and was still light-years ahead of where Mayaka was. It's a realization that does bad things to her feelings of self-worth.
__________________
Go into the water. Live there. Die there.
GMT is offline  
Old 2012-08-14, 00:41   Link #71
Hyper
Irregular Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
And about the whole 'difference in talent' thing, I really never bothered about it quite much. It wasn't really something one should mull over too deeply. I'm good at writing, he's good at doing maths, she can draw, he can drive, she's good at fighting - once you really think about it, what is the point comparing your weakness against the another person's strength? Perhaps it's because the characters portrayed are very young, but it may have been slightly exaggerated in my opinion. We are unique the way we are. Even if I'm supposedly 'talentless' compared to him in let's say, deduction, there WILL be something along the same path that I can do better than the genius.
I like this one by Einstein:
Quote:
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
Of course, he is a genius. So he get to say that.

That's a large part of why I took one point off from this episode actually. I think the talent theme was not really wrapped up. The show presented the issue but didn't present a solution. OK, life is unfair, but now how are they going to live with it?

It is likely that it was intentional though. From this arc which is from Satoshi's point of view, Houtarou looks like he is at the top of the food chain. However, Houtarou has seen the higher sky himself in the form of his sister. We only have a couple episodes left so I don't have much hope, but I do want to see this get explore more.

The way I see this issue in real life is that people are different. While there are exceptions, they are not superior or inferior to one another, just different. What we (and the education system) should try is to find the thing that the individual is good at and develop it.
Hyper is offline  
Old 2012-08-14, 00:44   Link #72
MartianMage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: outer space
@Reckoner

While I would agree with you that the ending was actually pretty meh(you have to admit the whole Juumonji thing was silly and it's no wonder it failed making the entire thing pointless) I won't say that this arc was outright bad. The middle parts were fun to watch IMO but yeah the end wasn't that good.
__________________
Homura: Die monster! You don't belong in this world!
Kyubey: It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
Homura: Tribute? You steal girls's souls, and make them your slaves!
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is online now  
Old 2012-08-14, 01:45   Link #73
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
I would question whether this was the worst arc in the series considering there aren't many happy and fun events like the cooking contest or the quiz show (aside from the hot springs). However, I would have to concur with pretty much everything else you've said.

Mayaka's arc had some interesting happenings but felt cut short. I'm hoping there would be some sort of continuation to conclude her character development (even if it's only her by herself thinking), otherwise, it would just look like some sort of filler.

But um ya... Chitanda... What was the point in all that? It probably could've had some meaning, but maybe it was just executed poorly? She doesn't need to know how to persuade people like Irisu... She already has her own effective way of doing that _without_ making the other party feel like shit.
I really don't get where you people get the idea that Chitanda's good at persuasion. She nags. It works when the other party has too much goodwill for her not to oppose a firm refusal and run away from her. It didn't work against the newspaper guy, or Tanabe.

And while Irisu's method made Houtarou feel like shit, it was mostly due to circumstances and Houtarou being a freak. In most cases, a girl having "expectations" of a guy will make him feel good, whether she overstates or understates some things or not.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2012-08-14, 02:23   Link #74
ellessarr
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I really don't get where you people get the idea that Chitanda's good at persuasion. She nags. It works when the other party has too much goodwill for her not to oppose a firm refusal and run away from her. It didn't work against the newspaper guy, or Tanabe.

And while Irisu's method made Houtarou feel like shit, it was mostly due to circumstances and Houtarou being a freak. In most cases, a girl having "expectations" of a guy will make him feel good, whether she overstates or understates some things or not.
if u look right on scene u gona see her eyes no bright when she talks this means she dont used the hypnos bright eyes, she just tried irisu's metod but failed miserable

i give 9/10 on this for the same reason of some guys(the unsolved bulling problem), and for the "houtaro hates" i think us are not looking to him on all directions, houtaro personality is a basico MC shell personalite(a variety of tsundere), he have obvious inferiority complex problems toward him big sister, this make him believe he's a "normal gray person who have almost no special life", this make him on this way toward othes person and for this come chitanda the person who he falls in love but is unable to accept this because accept her love gona make him totally break the "shell" who is the think he dont want for now, and for the ppls who claims "he only sexual interest on her" this not totally true infact he loves her the hints already showed:

ep 1 when he first get caught by her hypnos eyes the scene showing the flowers and her hair growing, and first time he was not able to deny a request to someone

ep2 again he was unable to say no to her and get grabed to all places by her easy

ep 6 when chitanda play about saying "want to save energy" he see her like finaly find her angel/soulmate(just to be crushed when she says "was just kidding")

ep7 is really more about "sexual interest"

ep 11.5 was the most big hint of him love: when they get alone on the lunch time after satoshi and mayaka leaves, when him and chitanda start to talk and him talk about being important(because houtaro is the type of person who demands attention because he sister problem overshadowing him) and when she replay "who him need be important only to her(only she, the person that matters) he started to make a really good expression before she completed the sentence saying that others are also important after this his expression goes to normal, but she again say he is important to her, and after they ears the crying baby He speaks softly this can be really important for him(her happy).

ep 15 when he get alone with mayaka and he confess who he can't say no to chitanda and mayaka notices houtaro feellings for chitanda

the problem with houtaro is he is the type of person who need the others "to force him to goes out the shell", and about confession for now looks likes he "wants her does the first confession rater than him" because like the shell characters he's afraid of confesse to her and get broken or think he under her level's of expectation(and get rejected by the love person is even worse than be used) some of the times i pointed was clearly shown who whe wanted her really saying "i love you", this dont means who in the end he gona get the courage to confess first but for now he just trying to shine to the person whos care to trying to make her confess first.

that is mine point

ps srry for some bad english errors( at last not mine native language)
ellessarr is offline  
Old 2012-08-14, 02:44   Link #75
joeboygo
mechaii
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 34
Just to be clear, are there people here that think Chitanda's googly eye effect was meant to literally depict some sort of supernatural power? I was under the impression that it was just a visual gag to make patent her earnestness and sincerity. All this time I thought people were kidding around with the hypno-toad references, but I'm not so sure anymore.
joeboygo is offline  
Old 2012-08-14, 02:47   Link #76
ellessarr
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboygo View Post
Just to be clear, are there people here that think Chitanda's googly eye effect was meant to literally depict some sort of supernatural power? I was under the impression that it was just a visual gag to make patent her earnestness and sincerity. All this time I thought people were kidding around with the hypno-toad references, but I'm not so sure anymore.
well at last everyone who trully crossed with her eyes was unable to say "no" to her(houtaru The most on they are "SUPER EFFECTIVE", irisu and mayaka).

edit: and on the first ep when houtaro made a "case" about the spider club just to check how her "eyes powers works", was agood hint and she alse have almost superhuman(almost dogs levels) senses(ear the man working o the floor above then, smell the ink in the book and too afar from the painting club
ellessarr is offline  
Old 2012-08-14, 07:07   Link #77
alarmadadna hadi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: With the runaways
Quote:
That's a large part of why I took one point off from this episode actually. I think the talent theme was not really wrapped up. The show presented the issue but didn't present a solution. OK, life is unfair, but now how are they going to live with it?

It is likely that it was intentional though. From this arc which is from Satoshi's point of view, Houtarou looks like he is at the top of the food chain. However, Houtarou has seen the higher sky himself in the form of his sister. We only have a couple episodes left so I don't have much hope, but I do want to see this get explore more.

The way I see this issue in real life is that people are different. While there are exceptions, they are not superior or inferior to one another, just different. What we (and the education system) should try is to find the thing that the individual is good at and develop it.
Spoiler for For The sake of dear dear space:


Quote:
The arc came down to this same realization on three different fronts: Oreki with the student council President who wanted his friend to keep working on the manga, Mayaka's senpai who could never make as good as manga as her friend, and of course Satoshi with the fact that he feels he could never match Oreki.

Sorry but really? We waited all these episodes for this? On a narrative level I just find this a tad underwhelming.
It wasn't just a narrative and thematic thing, but a part of the mystery, it functioned as a hint as some of us guessed the motive of juumonji through reading between the lines of the different characters conflicts.

And, is it just me, or did houtaro show us his very first "real" smile?
__________________
Saku to Purgatory Mountain visual novel'd
http://www.mediafire.com/?j2ht2956l31e288

Last edited by alarmadadna hadi; 2012-08-14 at 07:23.
alarmadadna hadi is offline  
Old 2012-08-14, 09:00   Link #78
Qilin
Romanticist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
IThat's a large part of why I took one point off from this episode actually. I think the talent theme was not really wrapped up. The show presented the issue but didn't present a solution. OK, life is unfair, but now how are they going to live with it?
That was exactly the point of the episode for me actually.

The solution here is that there is no solution. The only thing they can possibly do is to just suck it up and accept the reality. I could even view it as a sort of "rite of passage" that most aspiring youths undergo as they slowly become integrated into the clockwork of society. Life simply goes on from there, as each individual remains powerless against nature's fickle roulette wheel.

That is the single realization I found in the episode that struck me as melancholic and somewhat bittersweet.
__________________
Damaged Goods
"There’s an up higher than up, but at the very top, down is all there is."
Qilin is offline  
Old 2012-08-14, 09:43   Link #79
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boyzone
This isn't the first arc they've dealt with the whole talent/expectations stuff, and there are still four more episodes left. The series may have more to say on the matter yet, so I think it's a bit early to jump to conclusions with what Hyouka is trying to convey on this subject.
__________________
            |
   \  ( ^p^ )/
      ̄ ̄ /
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline  
Old 2012-08-14, 09:55   Link #80
Qilin
Romanticist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
This isn't the first arc they've dealt with the whole talent/expectations stuff, and there are still four more episodes left. The series may have more to say on the matter yet, so I think it's a bit early to jump to conclusions with what Hyouka is trying to convey.
I'd argue that this arc is the first one to address the issue of talent from the perspective of the common man. The earlier arcs were much too focused on Houtarou's internal struggle to accept himself to give much attention to the perspective of everyone else.

The fact remains that this episode marks the end of a major arc and the final image it conveys goes a long way towards its interpretation as an arc. I'm not "jumping to conclusions" here. I'm looking at the entire arc as a whole and what it might have meant.
__________________
Damaged Goods
"There’s an up higher than up, but at the very top, down is all there is."
Qilin is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.