AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-08-18, 07:16   Link #1921
sky black swordman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
I've been confusing the Chapter 1 of Vol. 10 to the Chapter 1 of the Alicization Arc and vice versa recently.





Well Yuuki was living the life she couldn't do in the RL, so it DOES strike me curious what would have happened if Kirito dual-wielded against Yuuki. Also, did he use Excalibur in her fight with him? (I forget that)
It happens dont worry.

Al I dont think so. I think he use the other sword on his back.

I remember that during the fight he said something to Yuuki and stopped fight seriously.
__________________
Date A Live -Tohka Yatogami
sky black swordman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 08:37   Link #1922
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Send a message via Skype™ to ronelm2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
I remember that during the fight he said something to Yuuki and stopped fight seriously.
lol if only Kirito took her seriously *clicks tongue*


...Kirito x Yuuki anyone? (I'm a hopeless shipper. )
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 10:25   Link #1923
M.A.D
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Kirito is a competitive type when it comes to games, so it stood to reason that he really had gone all out against her, and he was well and truly lost, dual wield or otherwise. Of course, if someone says that Kirito gets stronger when he's fighting to protect someone, then I can say that Yuuki wasn't fighting with her loved one's lives on the line either, so let's not go that far. Kirito's lost here simply demolished his title as a Marty Stu, so it's not a bad thing either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
It happens dont worry.

Al I dont think so. I think he use the other sword on his back.

I remember that during the fight he said something to Yuuki and stopped fight seriously.
What he said to her was something like "Are you also a resident of this world?", which referred to her Full Diving 24/7. However, he said it after he had lost, and he really was seriously fighting her to the finish.
M.A.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 13:58   Link #1924
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
Kirito's lost here simply demolished his title as a Marty Stu
For what is worth, when people complaint about a character being too perfect or too competent, is usually about more than just never losing a fight.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 14:11   Link #1925
Rayrah
Femme Fatale
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
For what is worth, when people complaint about a character being too perfect or too competent, is usually about more than just never losing a fight.
Ehhh, there's a lot to more a Gary Stu than just being too perfect or too competent.. The majority of people who use the term, and do so for dregatory purposes, usually have no idea what it actually means, don't even realise that it has no precise definition, and that it's rarely seen outside of fan fiction. But of course, this is the Internet, and being ignorant is something we're all good at. Not saying that this is the case for you, though.
__________________
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 14:32   Link #1926
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Ehhh, there's a lot to more a Gary Stu than just being too perfect or too competent..
The term (Gary Stu or whatever) doesn't really matter. People usually use that term for lack of a better one to name whatever they're concerned about. I don't see the point in arguing whether they're using it properly or not when what's matter is whatever criticism they might have about the character.

And although I wouldn't use that term myself, I do have some issues with Kirito's characterization. No, not only Kirito, but how Kawahara handles characters in general actually.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-08-18 at 17:25.
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 14:36   Link #1927
EnigmaticAxiom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The term (Gary Stu or whatever) doesn't really matter. People usually use that term for lack of a better one to name whatever they're concerned about. I don't see the point in arguing whether they're using it properly or not when what's matter is whatever criticism they might have on the character.

And although I wouldn't use that term myself, I do have some issues with Kirito's characterization. No, not only Kirito, but how Kawahara handle characters in general actually.
What's wrong with Kirito's characterization, I'm curious? I rather like SAO characters, though I admit there is something in them that I dislike, I just can't put my finger on it. I definitely don't like AW characters (I just want to jab porky in the eye for no particular reason), so you're probably right on it being a Kawahara thing. I wish I could put my finger on it, though.

And when did the term "Gary Stu" come up? I had to google it because I thought I missed something, but it seems to be some idiotic phrase I've never heard of before seeing it in this thread.
EnigmaticAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 14:51   Link #1928
Rayrah
Femme Fatale
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The term (Gary Stu or whatever) doesn't really matter. People usually use that term for lack of a better one to name whatever they're concerned about. I don't see the point in arguing whether they're using it properly or not when what's matter is whatever criticism they might have on the character.
Hm, yes, there's an air of truth to your words. However, whatever criticism they may have about a character, using that label/trope/whatever the hell it is as a basis for deciding whether a character is good, well-written, and etc or not is not only a sign of one not being able to express themselves well, but also (usually) makes for a piss poor argument. In my experience, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticAxiom View Post
And when did the term "Gary Stu" come up? I had to google it because I thought I missed something, but it seems to be some idiotic phrase I've never heard of before seeing it in this thread.
Gary Stu is the male version of a "Mary Sue". It first came up in 1973, and was coined by Paula Smith who wrote somewhat of a parody of Star Trek called "A Trekkie's Tale", I believe. 4chan, and especially /a/ seem to absolutely love the term. But eh, it's /a/.
__________________
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 15:11   Link #1929
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
We have no concrete indication of whether he was fighting seriously, but I think the fact that he did not dual wield, and him realizing the opponent's unique condition halfway through the fight, and that the girls around him believe and discuss that he wasn't going all out is indicative of the author's intentions. He's trying really hard to say that Kirito was only defeated because he wasn't fighting seriously. It's certainly in line with how he always paints Kirito as the Ultimate Swordsman. The outcome doesn't really matter, though, since that was not an important fight for Kirito.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 20:30   Link #1930
sky black swordman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
lol if only Kirito took her seriously *clicks tongue*

...Kirito x Yuuki anyone? (I'm a hopeless shipper. )
Yeah.
I think Asuna was a Kirito x Yuuki anyone shipper.
She did feel a bit jealousy because they had a bit in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post

What he said to her was something like "Are you also a resident of this world?", which referred to her Full Diving 24/7. However, he said it after he had lost, and he really was seriously fighting her to the finish.
Quote:
"Even though I'm not sure, but shortly before the duel was concluded, when their blades are locked together, my brother seemed to have said something to Absolute Sword... Immediately after that, the distance between the two widened and my brother wasn't able to avoid Absolute Sword's charge and lost..."
__________________
Date A Live -Tohka Yatogami
sky black swordman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 02:11   Link #1931
endarion88
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gensokio
Age: 26
i have a question about the warmith of heart side story, i read that the original web version had a big difference compared to the published one (the one on b-t) anyone know if there is a translation of the original web version somewhere?
__________________

if you love jrpg support progect phoenix! http://projectphoenix.info/
endarion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 10:26   Link #1932
noobita
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
I guess, expecting a great fighting scene from SAO is a great mistake? I just re-watch Accel World, and the actions and fighting scenes in Accel World were abundance, and not to mention, it was freaking epic. SAO fight is just simply incomparable.

So, tell me, will there going to be a lot of fighting scene as good as Accel World later in the novel? Because at this rate, I may lose interest on SAO. The dragon fight is just ok.
__________________
noobita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 10:43   Link #1933
Rayrah
Femme Fatale
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
... eh, I thought the fights in Accel World have been pretty lackluster except for a select few thus far. I know knowledge of source material, so I'll just keep quiet..

Wait. I thought you read the novels? But yes, there will be quite a few awesome fight scenes.
__________________
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 10:45   Link #1934
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
There are a few important and cool duels coming as well as two floor boss battles which are both quite epic imho. Right up next week should be one duel (albeit a boring one) and possibly the start of a boss battle but expect the majority of it (74th floor boss) in two weeks. Right after that (probably around episode 10) should be the first good duel, with another one to follow in about two weeks after that.

Accel World fights really drag on and on IMHO, I find them quite boring. So I might not be the best reference for you
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 10:46   Link #1935
Znail
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
I guess, expecting a great fighting scene from SAO is a great mistake? I just re-watch Accel World, and the actions and fighting scenes in Accel World were abundance, and not to mention, it was freaking epic. SAO fight is just simply incomparable.

So, tell me, will there going to be a lot of fighting scene as good as Accel World later in the novel? Because at this rate, I may lose interest on SAO. The dragon fight is just ok.
We don't know how well they will do them in the anime, but there are several fighting scenes that actually take up time in the novel. The dragon fight wasn't really a major battle as Kirito was basically just beating it up, until Lisbeth goofed up.

There will be a couple of important fights in 2-3 episodes.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 15:12   Link #1936
M1sFyr3
I eat babies
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I like the SAO design, though fighting would be cool, the world of SAO is probably mostly generic MMO grind (in my opinion), other than boss fights and special events. It makes sense to have less action scenes, and to be more of other things. Another reason could be that they've mostly been doing side stories, with mysteries or Kirito meeting new people. I do think they will have more fighting later on, considering the couple of bosses.
__________________
M1sFyr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 17:34   Link #1937
Znail
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
They also skipped a fair bit of normal adventuring so far as well. In the novel version of episode 2 so did Kirito actually meet Asuna inside a dungeon before the boss meeting and observed her fighting style, that is why he got interested in the first place.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 19:52   Link #1938
XxSleepyxX
Learner
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: HONEY~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
They also skipped a fair bit of normal adventuring so far as well. In the novel version of episode 2 so did Kirito actually meet Asuna inside a dungeon before the boss meeting and observed her fighting style, that is why he got interested in the first place.
Actually that dungeon meeting shouldn't be aired until next weeks episode. I don't get why they used it so early.

The pacing of SAO is good. SAO is completely different Accel World. Its true Accel World has more fights, but in SAO character development is more important. Thats the reason why they've been using the side stories to develop characters. I admit changing the way Asuna and Kirito met is a lowblow to novel readers but anime does that all the time. Like I've mentioned time and time again a anime is to draw the attention of anime watchers not exactly novel readers. Its to gain attention for the original source material.
__________________
XxSleepyxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 20:14   Link #1939
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Send a message via Skype™ to ronelm2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSleepyxX View Post
Actually that dungeon meeting shouldn't be aired until next weeks episode. I don't get why they used it so early.

The pacing of SAO is good. SAO is completely different Accel World. Its true Accel World has more fights, but in SAO character development is more important. Thats the reason why they've been using the side stories to develop characters. I admit changing the way Asuna and Kirito met is a lowblow to novel readers but anime does that all the time. Like I've mentioned time and time again a anime is to draw the attention of anime watchers not exactly novel readers. Its to gain attention for the original source material.
I'm gonna agrue and say the pacing of Aincrad Arc is technically bad if you look at it from a technical and chronological perspective, mostly because of the large time-skips. It's saved from such judgement because Vol. 1 starts at the near end of the whole thing. (I mean... if the author really pumps it up and starts Progressive 1 year per floor... we'll be done in around 2080!)
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 21:07   Link #1940
noobita
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
... eh, I thought the fights in Accel World have been pretty lackluster except for a select few thus far. I know knowledge of source material, so I'll just keep quiet..

Wait. I thought you read the novels? But yes, there will be quite a few awesome fight scenes.
Well, I only read chapter that related to SAO nad few chapters of Mother Rosario. Didn't read GGO, Alicization, and Fairy Dance. Mainly because I have terrible understanding on how battle works in text/novel format. So I usually skipped them.

Never liked Accel World's futuristic setting, especially the robotic avatar, but I have to admit that the animated battle scenes were quite fun and entertaining to watch. As for SAO, I like the medieval setting of SAO, but there isn't any good fighting scene in SAO with leave me in despair. So far, the best one was the Kobold Illfang one (anime). Sure that character development is needed, but they should balance it out a bit...at least in anime. They rushed and cut down a lot of things in anime.
__________________
noobita is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, gaming, harem, kirito, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.