AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 07
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 35 23.33%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 32.67%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 37 24.67%
7 out of 10: Good... 14 9.33%
6 out of 10: Average... 5 3.33%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 2 1.33%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.33%
3 out of 10: Bad... 2 1.33%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 1 0.67%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 3 2.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-08-20, 03:27   Link #181
zaz122
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
The scanning/tracking ability helps solo players out by giving detailed monster positions reducing the chance of a "bad pull" occurring. It also helps to know if there is pk'ers waiting in ambush since solo players are more vulnerable to robberies/pks than a full party.
zaz122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 03:42   Link #182
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Well, that wasn't a bad episode, but I can't say that all those girls falling for Kirito every episode isn't starting to irk me. Every decently attractive female character (Asuna, Lizbeth, Silica, Sachi) except those who are already with someone else (Yolko) are falling in love with him. I won't call him a Marty Stu since he's relatable to male viewers in a sense, but I kind find this wish-fulfillment-protagonist thing overused and disappointing, since I really did like the premise. It's always Kirito saving the day, and once in a while Asuna will tag along and help, etc etc. I suppose I just set my expectations too high - but at the first episode, I really thought it was going to be something on par with Madoka Magica or Steins;Gate.

Why the heck did Kirito look down upon the town from the bell tower to search for Lizbeth, anyway? Isn't Asuna her friend? Won't she be able to find her location immediately, as seen with Yolko in Episode 5?
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 03:48   Link #183
n120cky
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
It's bit contradicting with Kirito said that if a Pretty Girl will die alone, it would be better if he also die, because he use his body as a bumper, what if he die and Liz didn't.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
Why the heck did Kirito look down upon the town from the bell tower to search for Lizbeth, anyway? Isn't Asuna her friend? Won't she be able to find her location immediately, as seen with Yolko in Episode 5?
May be he doesn't want Asuna to know he looking for Lizbeth


I think this episode just The author way to add another girl to Kirito's harem. The dark repulser bit like Asuna sword I guest.
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 03:55   Link #184
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
It's bit contradicting with Kirito said that if a Pretty Girl will die alone, it would be better if he also die, because he use his body as a bumper, what if he die and Liz didn't.
You took his word too literal. What he meant/implied was he will do everything to protect them/prevent them from dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
Why the heck did Kirito look down upon the town from the bell tower to search for Lizbeth, anyway? Isn't Asuna her friend? Won't she be able to find her location immediately, as seen with Yolko in Episode 5?
*Liz ran away*

Kirito: Asuna, I will go to look for her!
Asuna: Wait! I have her on my friend list.. We can................

*Kirito ran out of store*

Asuna: ...use it to look for her...........
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 04:04   Link #185
n120cky
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
You took his word too literal. What he meant/implied was he will do everything to protect them/prevent them from dying.
Yeah, to think about maybe it for case where it's a bottomless abyss.
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 06:26   Link #186
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
Why the heck did Kirito look down upon the town from the bell tower to search for Lizbeth, anyway? Isn't Asuna her friend? Won't she be able to find her location immediately, as seen with Yolko in Episode 5?
Kirito, to himself "hmmm, so she's got a crush on me from that adventure and she's Asuna's best friend. I'm much more interested in Asuna and need to gently let Liz know I'm not looking. And she's savvy enough to realize she's just been friend-zoned. I wonder if I should ask Asuna to find her, because then she'll totally follow me to where her best friend is crying with a broken heart."

Not so much, I'd think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
Yeah, to think about maybe it for case where it's a bottomless abyss.
Probably beats survivor's guilt, which Kirito seems to have a lot of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
I think this episode just The author way to add another girl to Kirito's harem. The dark repulser bit like Asuna sword I guest.
To be fair he does seem to be rejecting each of his potential haremittes (that aren't Asuna).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
*Liz ran away*

Kirito: Asuna, I will go to look for her!
Asuna: Wait! I have her on my friend list.. We can................

*Kirito ran out of store*

Asuna: ...use it to look for her...........
win!
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 06:54   Link #187
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
Well, that wasn't a bad episode, but I can't say that all those girls falling for Kirito every episode isn't starting to irk me. Every decently attractive female character (Asuna, Lizbeth, Silica, Sachi) except those who are already with someone else (Yolko) are falling in love with him.
I think the official word of the subject is that Sachi wasn't in love with him (and he wasn't in love with her). They didn't really have a romantic relationship. You can read it however you want, she was sleeping on his bed after all, but she was not intended to be part of the harem. Maybe she saw him like a little brother or something.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 07:09   Link #188
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I think the official word of the subject is that Sachi wasn't in love with him (and he wasn't in love with her). They didn't really have a romantic relationship. You can read it however you want, she was sleeping on his bed after all, but she was not intended to be part of the harem. Maybe she saw him like a little brother or something.
Having romantic feelings for someone when you apparently spend every waking minute in constant fear of dying would probably be more Stockholm syndrone than any real romantic feelings. She seemed more interested in feeling safe / being assured that she wasn't going to die. He continued to lie about his level, hide his background. That isn't really a solid setup for romance.

The anime did nothing to suggest Kirito or Sachi had romantic feelings for the other (other than sleeping in the same bed in a virtual MMO).
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 07:11   Link #189
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Having romantic feelings for someone when you apparently spend every waking minute in constant fear of dying would probably be more Stockholm syndrone than any real romantic feelings. She seemed more interested in feeling safe / being assured that she wasn't going to die. He continued to lie about his level, hide his background. That isn't really a solid setup for romance.

The anime did nothing to suggest Kirito or Sachi had romantic feelings for the other (other than sleeping in the same bed in a virtual MMO).
Yeah, his presence was more of a comfort/safety thing to her.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 07:19   Link #190
Pen3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Her name was shown in the appraisal window when she checked the sword's stats.
Spoiler for Later on:
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 07:57   Link #191
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
As I said, I can understand these girls crushing over him, but I don't see how people think they love him. It's not the same thing. Except Asuna cos they spent a lot more time together.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 08:36   Link #192
M1sFyr3
I eat babies
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Yeah, his presence was more of a comfort/safety thing to her.
There wasn't that much on their relationship, but I agree, kind of protective brother/sister thing I think.
__________________
M1sFyr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 10:11   Link #193
Otani-kun
Beta Tester
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
From what I gathered in this episode, it's not like Lizbeth was actually in love with him or even liked him, she just wanted that feeling of reality, didnt she?

I'm probably wrong though, she could just have had a crush on him.
Otani-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 10:22   Link #194
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otani-kun View Post
From what I gathered in this episode, it's not like Lizbeth was actually in love with him or even liked him, she just wanted that feeling of reality, didnt she?

I'm probably wrong though, she could just have had a crush on him.
Maybe Kirito's not special and she gets that way any time a reasonably cute guy shows up at her shop.

(Anime needs more loose women!)
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 10:32   Link #195
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
Most laughably, remember in the first episode where 90% of the cute girls turned into dudes? Because SAO sure as hell doesn't.
So because a lot of 'girls' in the first episode turned out to be guys, it's a plot hole when real girls show up later in the story? That's very logical.

As for your later arguments about it being unrealistic for so many of the girls Kirito comes across to be cute, well, almost all the guys in the series are very handsome. People prefer to look at characters that are drawn attractively, simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako
Maybe Kirito's not special and she gets that way any time a reasonably cute guy shows up at her shop.

(Anime needs more loose women!)
That it does. Maybe she gives the shy "I can be your own personal blacksmith... teehee" line to every guy she meets, and Kirito was just fortunate enough not to fall for a succubus that would rip his heart out.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 10:47   Link #196
DXMichael
Stare Into My Eyes...
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Anime World
Age: 19
I personally think that she herself believed that she loved Kirito, but in reality she was just rushing to get something to desperately wanted. It took a day or 2 before she realised that it was 'love' between them, when to be honest, she just felt left out when she saw that Asuna had a special someone at the start of the anime. She used sentences like:

"Asuna, so you've found someone precious"

She then goes other to a picture to comfort herself after that and says:

"I wonder if i'll find someone soon"

Then Kirito just so happens to enter the shop and so on so on. Her desires probably got the better of her and rushed her into things.
__________________
Gintaro from Gingitsune
DXMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 11:25   Link #197
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
The story is basically told from her perspective so I think we can rule out her using this as way to keep customers. Note that she never asked him to pay either...

The basic theme of her behavior is "fake world, real people" as someone eloquently said in another thread. She was looking for something real in the fake world she finds herself stuck in, and found that reality in the "Warmth of the Heart". Getting close to someone, risking her life with someone. It's just reminding her of something she forgot.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 11:26   Link #198
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Sometimes you can make up for an one-sided fight with sheer spectacle, and I think that happened here (was I honestly the only one on this thread that loved that "sky full of sunlight" shot of Kirito and Liz in mid-flight?)
No, I liked that as well, it was probably the best thing to come out of the fight, but a good action scene consist of more than that. A scene like that had little to do with the battle itself and could easily been represented elsewhere. I know the show can do better (see episode 2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
Spoiler for response to author explanation:
Spoiler for re author's note:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
As I said, I can understand these girls crushing over him, but I don't see how people think they love him. It's not the same thing. Except Asuna cos they spent a lot more time together.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. The whole reason those crushes exist to begin with is because those girls have feelings for him, Asuna included. As you said, Asuna has the highest chance of ending up with Kirito, but it's merely due to her being in similar situation and position (Clearers) to strength that growth. This does not mean the affections of the other females are suddenly trivial, otherwise why bring it up? Like I said earlier, I would have preferred Liz and Kirito building a relationship based entirely on camaraderie or something else rather than a rushed romantic interest that would ultimately go nowhere (there's no ambiguity on who is Kirito's future ). I also feel the same regarding the other females (Saichi excluded I guess).

I just hope this stops when AsunaxKirito happens instead of another new girl falling him for whatever reason. We don't need a harem, faux or otherwise since surely Kirito isn't the only decent male in the game.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 11:47   Link #199
Trajan
Six Shooter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
So because a lot of 'girls' in the first episode turned out to be guys, it's a plot hole when real girls show up later in the story? That's very logical.
I didn't mean to suggest that it was a plot hole, but rather that in episode 1 the series went out of its way to highlight a world full of "regular people" but then has focused almost exclusively on cute girls.

I think there's a lot of wasted potential in having a setting that brings together a wide variety of people, both in age and gender, and then focusing almost exclusively on the cute girls. A side story where Kirito meets an 80 year old man who, because of SAO is as spry as a teenager, would be nice. Or perhaps a woman in her 40s who has fallen in love with an NPC (b/c perhaps the AI is advanced enough for them to seem real) and doesn't want the game to end because she knows the NPC will "die." Instead we get episode after episode of cute girls doing cute things, which, while great for DVD sales, really doesn't lend itself to compelling storytelling.

One could argue that Grimlock and Griselda are an example of what I'm describing, but Grimlock had one scene and Griselda was already dead, so it doesn't really counteract the double dose of cute that Asuna and Yoruko provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Spoiler for re author's note:
Spoiler for response:
Trajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 12:35   Link #200
jcdietz03
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I don't know Japanese question:
Is it true that 温度 / ondo can be "warmth" in Japanese in addition to "temperature?"

If so, someone really should submit a request for amendment to JMdict.
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekly episode discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.