AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 07
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 35 23.33%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 32.67%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 37 24.67%
7 out of 10: Good... 14 9.33%
6 out of 10: Average... 5 3.33%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 2 1.33%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.33%
3 out of 10: Bad... 2 1.33%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 1 0.67%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 3 2.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-08-20, 18:50   Link #221
MrPopo
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
"Hardcore" might have been the wrong word to use. However I do expect the primary target audience of this game are gamers and the majority of that subgroup are guys.

I'd be willing to give up on Sachi for the sake of argument. However I think it's not up for debate that Silica, Liz and Asuna all crush on Kirito to some degree. The show's done this 3 times already, that's pretty lazy and repetitive.

Still, that's not the focus of my complaint. What's important here is that there has been a skewed focus on Kirito developing...emotionally charged relationships with cute girls. Whether or not these relationships form in a realistic manner isn't all that relevant. The point is that these relationships shouldn't have had the chance to form in the first place. In an MMO setting such as this, cute girls should be a minority, yet a lot of the relevant characters introduced thus far fall into that category. That's a huge strike against the setting because it's not what the viewer expects, thus it makes it hard for them to suspend their disbelief.
__________________
MrPopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 20:00   Link #222
Znail
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopo View Post
"Hardcore" might have been the wrong word to use. However I do expect the primary target audience of this game are gamers and the majority of that subgroup are guys.

I'd be willing to give up on Sachi for the sake of argument. However I think it's not up for debate that Silica, Liz and Asuna all crush on Kirito to some degree. The show's done this 3 times already, that's pretty lazy and repetitive.

Still, that's not the focus of my complaint. What's important here is that there has been a skewed focus on Kirito developing...emotionally charged relationships with cute girls. Whether or not these relationships form in a realistic manner isn't all that relevant. The point is that these relationships shouldn't have had the chance to form in the first place. In an MMO setting such as this, cute girls should be a minority, yet a lot of the relevant characters introduced thus far fall into that category. That's a huge strike against the setting because it's not what the viewer expects, thus it makes it hard for them to suspend their disbelief.
Even, if only 1 in 5 are girls, so does that still mean a random person have 20% of being a girl, so it's not that strange to meet one. And Lisbeth's gender wasn't random. Kirito went to her shop as she was a friend of Asuna and she has several female friends for obvious reasons.

Lets not forget that Kirito actually have some male friends too, so it's not like it's all girls around, just that the guys don't crush on Kirito. But this also kind of explains why there are more girls around then expected, it's because girls tend to like Kirito

But in the end so do you have a point, guys tends to like having girls in the story, that is why they show up. If this was aimed mostly at an female audience then we should expect only guys to show up in the story.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 20:23   Link #223
KleenexGhost
Measure Feeling Match
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sunriseland
Can't we all just agree that the supporting cast of characters we've seen so far are pretty good?
__________________
"Do not pretend. Retribution for forgiveness, betrayal for trust, despair for hope, darkness for light, dark death for the living." - Kirei Kotomine
KleenexGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 20:40   Link #224
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
Can't we all just agree that the supporting cast of characters we've seen so far are pretty good?
Dunno, this is the first time I've seen an anime viewer complain there were too many cute girls in the new show ^_^

But I agree, I like the supporting cast of characters.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 21:31   Link #225
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdietz03 View Post
I don't know Japanese question:
Is it true that 温度 / ondo can be "warmth" in Japanese in addition to "temperature?"

If so, someone really should submit a request for amendment to JMdict.
Ondo is indeed "temperature", which the official sub also uses (if I'm not wrong). But translation is not just about substituting words with meanings from J->E dictionaries. It's an art as much as a skill. Personally, if I bother (and usually I don't), I use a mix of J->J dictionaries and an English thesaurus; in fact I seldom use J->E dictionaries and prefer to use ALC for TL examples or (real) meaning illustrations because J->E dicts can be misleading at times. Using 'Warmth' is definitely more appropriate in context IMHO, but it will not be accurate to have it as a definition for Ondo.

Note this: When we talk about 'warmth' (how warm something is) or 'coolness' (how cool something is), aren't we talking about temperature? And it's in context, because this story is with regards to humans emotions, and using 'temperature' in English sounds rather awkward. Just my 2 cents.
__________________
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 00:45   Link #226
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Earth...hopefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
Can't we all just agree that the supporting cast of characters we've seen so far are pretty good?
Nope. Don't like a single character in this show.
__________________

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 03:17   Link #227
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
just that the guys don't crush on Kirito.
Are you sure about that?


Anyway, re: Crushes

Pardon my temporary sullying of her memory, but Sachi looked like she was ready to fall for anyone who could protect her from the scary outside world (both literally and figuratively).

In the case of the other two girls, Kirito has been acting a lot like a badass, saving their lives and shit, it's not THAT unlikely for them to get a bit flustered. In either case there wasn't enough time for it to develop beyond a simple crush, so the point is moot.

The only thing I'll say about Asuna is: The point is moot.


As for all of these girls being cute, well, it's TV, what do you expect?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 03:44   Link #228
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
As for all of these girls being cute, well, it's TV, what do you expect?
Yeah, that's a good angle. If this were a live action adaptation, I would think they would still choose generally-attractive actors for all the roles. And in that scenario, I'm not sure you can really say "it breaks my suspension of disbelief that this movie is full of good-looking actors, which is so unrealistic for a story featuring gamers!" And besides, it not like female gamers are necessarily unattractive either (then again, I'm biased because I'm older brother to two of them ).

I sort of take this "so many girls, and they're all attractive!" as a bit akin to an earlier conversation about the way the story is choosing the scenes to showcase. If you think of these last episodes as "Kirito's selected highlights from the game 'till now"... it may be that his most significant moments in the game "just so happened" to all involve attractive women. I'm not sure if that's all that unlikely a view for a boy his age...
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 05:42   Link #229
anigu
Game maker
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
Can't we all just agree that the supporting cast of characters we've seen so far are pretty good?
No, I don't like Lizbeth. The others are fine, though. Especially Silica. Then again, maybe that's because I'm a lolicon at heart.
anigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 11:30   Link #230
Julio C
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara
Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Just watched this episode. That Lizbeth is such a cutie.

Are we we ever going to get to the main storyline or is this show going to be like this all the way? If it does get to the main storyline will it take place after episode 2 or continue forward in the timeline?
__________________
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 11:47   Link #231
Krono
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Just watched this episode. That Lizbeth is such a cutie.

Are we we ever going to get to the main storyline or is this show going to be like this all the way? If it does get to the main storyline will it take place after episode 2 or continue forward in the timeline?
Yes, we should get to the main story line, and yes, it'll continue forward in the timeline.
Krono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 11:48   Link #232
Somnus
Kissing the sky
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Just watched this episode. That Lizbeth is such a cutie.

Are we we ever going to get to the main storyline or is this show going to be like this all the way? If it does get to the main storyline will it take place after episode 2 or continue forward in the timeline?
Funny you ask this, the "main arc" should be starting right away IIRC. Everything is being done in continuity, so besides the usual anime flashback, there'll be no jumping back and forth in the timeline.
__________________
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 11:54   Link #233
Deltaray
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Just watched this episode. That Lizbeth is such a cutie.

Are we we ever going to get to the main storyline or is this show going to be like this all the way? If it does get to the main storyline will it take place after episode 2 or continue forward in the timeline?
Main storyline starts with next episode, and it will continue forward in the timeline, everything is in chronological order.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 12:08   Link #234
MrPopo
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
As for all of these girls being cute, well, it's TV, what do you expect?
Yes, that's precisely what my issue is about. The knee jerk counterargument is "this stuff isn't unusually because it's TV", but that's precisely my point. By acknowledging that "it's TV", suspension of disbelief is broken right there. If the viewers can't buy into the credibility of the setting, which is the main selling point that separates this show from just another generic fantasy, then the show is doing itself a disservice from a storytelling perspective. The fact that the payoff for this disservice is to steer this show closer to harem territory is salt on the wound. I may be optimistic for saying this, but I feel that the show's core concept has enough appeal that it doesn't have to incorporate harem elements to raise sales (notice I said harem elements, please don't accuse me of labeling this show as a harem).

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I sort of take this "so many girls, and they're all attractive!" as a bit akin to an earlier conversation about the way the story is choosing the scenes to showcase. If you think of these last episodes as "Kirito's selected highlights from the game 'till now"... it may be that his most significant moments in the game "just so happened" to all involve attractive women. I'm not sure if that's all that unlikely a view for a boy his age...
I guess that does make sense and each episode was significant in it's own way. Still doesn't mean I have to like the pattern I'm seeing here.
__________________
MrPopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 12:19   Link #235
Znail
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopo View Post
Yes, that's precisely what my issue is about. The knee jerk counterargument is "this stuff isn't unusually because it's TV", but that's precisely my point. By acknowledging that "it's TV", suspension of disbelief is broken right there. If the viewers can't buy into the credibility of the setting, which is the main selling point that separates this show from just another generic fantasy, then the show is doing itself a disservice from a storytelling perspective. The fact that the payoff for this disservice is to steer this show closer to harem territory is salt on the wound. I may be optimistic for saying this, but I feel that the show's core concept has enough appeal that it doesn't have to incorporate harem elements to raise sales (notice I said harem elements, please don't accuse me of labeling this show as a harem).


I guess that does make sense and each episode was significant in it's own way. Still doesn't mean I have to like the pattern I'm seeing here.
Just for the record, you are one viewer not several viewers and deffinitly not the elected voice of all viewers. That your personal suspension of belief is broken isn't really a problem. A lot of people have their own personal viewes about how things should be and this is yours.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 12:22   Link #236
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopo View Post
Yes, that's precisely what my issue is about. The knee jerk counterargument is "this stuff isn't unusually because it's TV", but that's precisely my point. By acknowledging that "it's TV", suspension of disbelief is broken right there. If the viewers can't buy into the credibility of the setting, which is the main selling point that separates this show from just another generic fantasy, then the show is doing itself a disservice from a storytelling perspective.
You're prob. not winning this one in the real world where profits are required and DVD/BD sales are king.

It's a fair point, but not at all realistic.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 12:28   Link #237
MrPopo
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
Just for the record, you are one viewer not several viewers and deffinitly not the elected voice of all viewers. That your personal suspension of belief is broken isn't really a problem. A lot of people have their own personal viewes about how things should be and this is yours.
You're right, I phrased that part badly. I do have arguments for my opinion, but it is just my opinion.
__________________
MrPopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 13:14   Link #238
dmaxzero
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
I don't think it has anything to do with being a "casual viewer" or not. I've never so much as glanced at the light novels, and I don't think I'm having any problem following the show or appreciating it the way it's presented, nor do I think it's "awkward" this way. I actually like the "short story" presentation for the most part. Anecdotal evidence in the thread suggests that some feel this way as well, but others do not. Like every show, there will be people who don't like the way it's presented, keep being weighed down by the things they consider flaws, or want the show to be something different than it is. But I'm sure there are some people who had similar complaints even when reading the novels, but they probably aren't here to talk about the anime (because they weren't anticipating it).

In the end, I wouldn't take the fact that some people have issues with the presentation to mean that it isn't friendly to the casual viewer. I don't think the issue is that it's hard to follow, understand, or appreciate for what it is, it's simply that some people were hoping that it would be something else. That's a normal part of the discovery process.
I would elaborate some more but most likely you ll gonna infract me again... so I wont.. ^_^
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 13:15   Link #239
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yeah, that's a good angle. If this were a live action adaptation, I would think they would still choose generally-attractive actors for all the roles. And in that scenario, I'm not sure you can really say "it breaks my suspension of disbelief that this movie is full of good-looking actors, which is so unrealistic for a story featuring gamers!" And besides, it not like female gamers are necessarily unattractive either (then again, I'm biased because I'm older brother to two of them ).

I sort of take this "so many girls, and they're all attractive!" as a bit akin to an earlier conversation about the way the story is choosing the scenes to showcase. If you think of these last episodes as "Kirito's selected highlights from the game 'till now"... it may be that his most significant moments in the game "just so happened" to all involve attractive women. I'm not sure if that's all that unlikely a view for a boy his age...
... I can totally seen Klein going "Kirito, remember when we went into that dungeon and fought a boss and then 20 red players, just the two of us?"
"So many dungeons... Nope, that one doesn't ring a bell. Was there a girl involved?"
"... No."
"That'd explain it, then."
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 14:40   Link #240
Znail
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... I can totally seen Klein going "Kirito, remember when we went into that dungeon and fought a boss and then 20 red players, just the two of us?"
"So many dungeons... Nope, that one doesn't ring a bell. Was there a girl involved?"
"... No."
"That'd explain it, then."
It's a bit extra funny as one of the side stories that was left out of the anime involved Kirito teaming up with a guy
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekly episode discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.