AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-08-21, 11:54   Link #221
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Chapter 8 scanlations are out!

So we hear from a survivor from the vassal kingdoms and how they were utterly annihilated.

That arrogant prince last word are correct:

"This is no battle! This is.....This is Slaughter!"
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 12:22   Link #222
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Chapter 8 scanlations are out!

So we hear from a survivor from the vassal kingdoms and how they were utterly annihilated.

That arrogant prince last word are correct:

"This is no battle! This is.....This is Slaughter!"
Yay! God, this is so friggin' awesome.. I break into a totally evil smile when I read this. Reminds me of why I play Shogun 2 and line up lines of matchlocks on a hill with fire rocket artillery battering the enemy walls down!
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 13:41   Link #223
walt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
anybody know about subj's sales in Japan?
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 13:56   Link #224
FRS
Lurker on the threshold
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: France
Age: 37
Artillery uber alles, poor guys, they never stood a chance.

I wonder if the Empire will be able to marshall some magic users to support their troops soon enough.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 13:59   Link #225
Xacual
The color of a Hero
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
Artillery uber alles, poor guys, they never stood a chance.

I wonder if the Empire will be able to marshall some magic users to support their troops soon enough.
Do you think magic users would actually matter? Look at the dragon chapter, they said not even the best elves and mages had ever defeated or driven off a fire dragon before which implies they're already below the basic JSDF infantry.

Also I'd assume they had mages in their armies already. I mean if you're in a fantasy world where magic is available, you'd think most armies would keep at least one group of mages for support to begin with.
__________________
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 14:27   Link #226
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
the loli goth priestess would own Akihabara if she goes to Japan.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 14:36   Link #227
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Do you think magic users would actually matter? Look at the dragon chapter, they said not even the best elves and mages had ever defeated or driven off a fire dragon before which implies they're already below the basic JSDF infantry.

Also I'd assume they had mages in their armies already. I mean if you're in a fantasy world where magic is available, you'd think most armies would keep at least one group of mages for support to begin with.
Indeed. So far it's been looking like the Empire's military strength is almost entirely based around conventional medieval soldiers (augmented by exotic auxiliary beast soldiers, and war animals). The most dangerous thing they've run into so far has been that fire dragon...and it got crippled by a motorized recon patrol lacking any seriously heavy weapons. Right now it's just not looking like the Fantasy World armies have any practical way of opposing the JSDF.


The only wild card right now is that someone in the Fantasy World can open gates to other worlds. That's something WILDLY ahead of Modern Earths capabilities, not to mention a far more impressive feat compared to the fairly limited magical displays we've seen so far. I'd almost be inclined to think there might be SUBSTANTIALLY more powerful magical entities somewhere in this world than what has been encountered so far.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the loli goth priestess would own Akihabara if she goes to Japan.
I don't think so. Akihabara is probably now less Otaku culture mecca, and more of a giant fortified military installation.

Both ends of the gate need to be defended, material and personnel need to be funneled back and forth between the gate, along with scientific staff in order to study the gate Phenomena. This doesn't leave allot of room for Maid cosplay paraphernalia appreciation.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-08-21 at 14:51.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 14:44   Link #228
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post

The only wild card right now is that someone in the Fantasy World can open gates to other worlds. That's something WILDLY ahead of Modern Earths capabilities, not to mention a far more impressive feat compared to the fairly limited magical displays we've seen so far. I'd almost be inclined to think there might be SUBSTANTIALLY more powerful magical entities somewhere in this world than what has been encountered so far.
i don't think that is in doubt. Just look at Rory Mercury, our Loli gothic Priestess, almost 1000 legal. Takes a lot of power to do that.
__________________

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2012-08-21 at 15:13.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 14:53   Link #229
FRS
Lurker on the threshold
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: France
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Do you think magic users would actually matter? Look at the dragon chapter, they said not even the best elves and mages had ever defeated or driven off a fire dragon before which implies they're already below the basic JSDF infantry.

Also I'd assume they had mages in their armies already. I mean if you're in a fantasy world where magic is available, you'd think most armies would keep at least one group of mages for support to begin with.
It depend on what a magic user ca do and how many are there, for exemple there is dimensional travel, so can mage teleport ? if so how many at once and how far away, because a mass teleport in the middle of the night in the camp could be alot more difficult to handle than guys in rank charging straight in front of your gunline.

And i dont think we have seen mage deployed at the moment.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 14:59   Link #230
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i don't think that is in doubt. Just look at Rory Mercury, out Loli gothic Priestess, almost 1000 legal. Takes a lot of power to do that.
Indeed.

The fact that the magical world has people like Rory in it is going to severely curtail who gets allowed access to the gate. A dozen people like Rory disguising themselves as Refugees to get into the Star Fort could easily kill hundreds of JSDF soldiers even if they didn't have any weapons on them.


It's like how the Nazi Vampires in Hellsing were able to slaughter the Wild Geese mercenaries once they got into hand to hand combat inside the mansion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
It depend on what a magic user ca do and how many are there, for exemple there is dimensional travel, so can mage teleport ? if so how many at once and how far away, because a mass teleport in the middle of the night in the camp could be alot more difficult to handle than guys in rank charging straight in front of your gunline.

And i dont think we have seen mage deployed at the moment.
Worse. A mass teleport of soldiers into the starfort...augmented by Rory level HTH combatants.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 15:14   Link #231
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Indeed.

The fact that the magical world has people like Rory in it is going to severely curtail who gets allowed access to the gate. A dozen people like Rory disguising themselves as Refugees to get into the Star Fort could easily kill hundreds of JSDF soldiers even if they didn't have any weapons on them.


It's like how the Nazi Vampires in Hellsing were able to slaughter the Wild Geese mercenaries once they got into hand to hand combat inside the mansion.



Worse. A mass teleport of soldiers into the starfort...augmented by Rory level HTH combatants.
If we're going to do that, I wonder if long range magical bombardment is possible? The answer to that of course is no, otherwise it'd be used already! I think there was a spoiler about a mage using wind to block arrows, but obviously failed when it tried to stop bullets
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 15:18   Link #232
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
If we're going to do that, I wonder if long range magical bombardment is possible? The answer to that of course is no, otherwise it'd be used already! I think there was a spoiler about a mage using wind to block arrows, but obviously failed when it tried to stop bullets
i think it is possible but not practical.

most likely only really high level mages could do long range magical bombardment. And those type are extremely rare.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 15:19   Link #233
Seitsuki
Onee!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Worse. A mass teleport of soldiers into the starfort...augmented by Rory level HTH combatants.
Be like deep striking a bunch of Khorne 'zerkers right in the midst of that fancy Tau gunline. Hilarity ensues.


Also that army was so pretty :c look at the ordered ranks.. the precision with which they formed up.. I'm kinda sad they got obliterated..
__________________
thanks to Patchy ♥
Seitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 15:24   Link #234
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Be like deep striking a bunch of Khorne 'zerkers right in the midst of that fancy Tau gunline. Hilarity ensues.


Also that army was so pretty :c look at the ordered ranks.. the precision with which they formed up.. I'm kinda sad they got obliterated..
Oh man, 40K .. it's been awhile. The one thing any of the battles and these kinds of strategic maneuvers always imparted on me was..

The importance of logistics and air/naval/space superiority. You can only teleport those guys in if your fleet is still in orbit.. and not in.. pieces..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 17:07   Link #235
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
If we're going to do that, I wonder if long range magical bombardment is possible? The answer to that of course is no, otherwise it'd be used already! I think there was a spoiler about a mage using wind to block arrows, but obviously failed when it tried to stop bullets
I doubt it. Otherwise they wouldn't have been so surprised when they started getting shelled.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 17:16   Link #236
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post

I don't think so. Akihabara is probably now less Otaku culture mecca, and more of a giant fortified military installation.

Both ends of the gate need to be defended, material and personnel need to be funneled back and forth between the gate, along with scientific staff in order to study the gate Phenomena. This doesn't leave allot of room for Maid cosplay paraphernalia appreciation.
ok, not akihabara but wherever the new otaku mecca is setup, she would rule it.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 17:33   Link #237
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
^ Actually, the gate opened in Ginza.. not Akihabara, no?

The people that died are the uber rich and trendy :P
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 18:39   Link #238
Xacual
The color of a Hero
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Indeed.

The fact that the magical world has people like Rory in it is going to severely curtail who gets allowed access to the gate. A dozen people like Rory disguising themselves as Refugees to get into the Star Fort could easily kill hundreds of JSDF soldiers even if they didn't have any weapons on them.

It's like how the Nazi Vampires in Hellsing were able to slaughter the Wild Geese mercenaries once they got into hand to hand combat inside the mansion.

Worse. A mass teleport of soldiers into the starfort...augmented by Rory level HTH combatants.
Given Rory's character and the fact she seems to like the JSDF guys, I'm inclined to believe the other apostles would as well. Plus I really doubt there's many Rory level combatants at least in service of the Empire.
__________________
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 19:41   Link #239
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
^ Actually, the gate opened in Ginza.. not Akihabara, no?

The people that died are the uber rich and trendy :P
Oh, whoops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Given Rory's character and the fact she seems to like the JSDF guys, I'm inclined to believe the other apostles would as well. Plus I really doubt there's many Rory level combatants at least in service of the Empire.
As a general rule of thumb, you should never discount the possibility of aggression from people who worship Khorne


I'd be inclined to agree about the Empire though...if they had Soldiers with that kind of super human combat ability, they'd have tried deploying them after the first army or two that got annihilated...but keep in mind. The Empire isn't the only potentially hostile power in this world.


I'd be a bit surprised if beings of Rory's were hyper exceptionally rare in the fantasy world though. The refugees seemed to have familiarity and respect towards Rory, without seeming awestruck like she was some kinda legendary figure. To me that suggests beings like her aren't that rare in this world.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 19:56   Link #240
Xacual
The color of a Hero
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
As a general rule of thumb, you should never discount the possibility of aggression from people who worship Khorne

I'd be a bit surprised if beings of Rory's were hyper exceptionally rare in the fantasy world though. The refugees seemed to have familiarity and respect towards Rory, without seeming awestruck like she was some kinda legendary figure. To me that suggests beings like her aren't that rare in this world.
I don't know about that. Just because her strength is awe inspiring doesn't mean most people are going to be always awed by her. I mean the little kids for instance didn't recognize her as anything special. Also we don't know anything about her God yet so calling it Khorne just because it's a "God of Darkness" and it's apostle kills people with a giant axe is kind of bad?

From what we've seen the reason those bandits were "invited" to be killed was due to their own actions which implies the God is something like once people cross over a certain line they are free to be culled but as long as they don't cross that line they're safe. The fact that Rory is going along with and helping the JSDF could be seen that they aren't close to crossing said line which also means it's unlikely the other apostles would think differently.

Also going back to my first point, maybe the people aren't as awestruck by her because they know they have nothing to fear from an Apostle of Emroy? I mean let's say you see an Apostle or something every 5 years(time variable, this is just an example) and you know nothing will happen to you if you live a good life, eventually you're not going to really pay too much attention to their visits or traveling because you'll know you're safe because you've done nothing to attract specific attention. Those bandits understood immediately what was going to happen to them upon seeing Rory so they were terrified, a normal farmer or villager would have no reason to be scared.
__________________
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fantasy, military, military science fiction

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.