AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-08-20, 06:35   Link #1461
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
Did anyone find it weird that Taichi sent an email to his younger sister to apologise? They live in the same house after all. If it were me I would have apologised face to face, or slipped a handwritten note under her room door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Email probably refers to their text msg.
That's probably it. If I'm not mistaken most Japanese carriers don't offer short message service (SMS) but do offer email for the same purpose. Japanese use email like we use SMS apparently.
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 06:44   Link #1462
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
It's actually because cell phone internet is highly developed in Japan, rendering SMS largely obsolete. Why have a separate SMS service when you can do everything by having a SMS-style email account based on the initial mobile internet service?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 09:00   Link #1463
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Argentina
I thought it was just a TL error, but it does make sense.

"Meeru" = Mail = E-Mail.

If you look closer, every series that is set on the "current" era (School Days) shows an e-mail type of system in their phones.

Sender, subject, etc.

Arturia
__________________
Arturia's Writing Den

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 10:44   Link #1464
Sphire
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
For that scene I want to point out that it might be a translation ambiguity.
Taichi's line was more towards that of "I'm disappointed that you're only that sort of (low sort of) people." Meaning he normally sees her as a respectable figure and now learn that she's only the opposite sort.
And Inaba's respond was "I'm sorry that I'm merely that sort of people." which doesn't really imply any feelings (towards Taichi) from the sentence itself, aside from being hurt for Taichi directly calling out her shadow and knowing that it's true.

Note, this is only and only from the sentence itself. While it may be true that coming from Taichi would hurt her more than it should, but I don't think she's trying to imply anything else towards Taichi with that respond.

"Guess I'm not good enough for you" felt a little ambiguous in that sense, for me at least.



Not so sure about the "kind" part. I mean if you're the troll master and you want to maximize your enjoyment value, you wouldn't want to kill off your "toy" amirite? Reasonable, yes. But definitely not kind.
Hmm, interesting. It does kinda alters things slightly, and I guess it would still fit in with the train scene (since Inaba would still be depressed.

Haha, so true on the HeartSeed being kind part. Always better to keep your subjects alive for torture, . I guess I was being sarcastic when I called him kind. He ain't really being kind in the first place (even if he has positive motives).
__________________
Sphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 10:54   Link #1465
Zeross
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: france
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
That's probably it. If I'm not mistaken most Japanese carriers don't offer short message service (SMS) but do offer email for the same purpose. Japanese use email like we use SMS apparently.
totaly, even their very old phones (pre-smartphone) use email as text messages
__________________
Zeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 14:04   Link #1466
Blonto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post
Haha, so true on the HeartSeed being kind part. Always better to keep your subjects alive for torture, . I guess I was being sarcastic when I called him kind. He ain't really being kind in the first place (even if he has positive motives).
But...But, he gave them sweets! Doesn't that mean anything to you?!
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 14:14   Link #1467
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
KokoCo 07 []

I still agree with Taichi's general philosophy. And deep down, I think the Iori we saw at the start of the series - the playful, fun-loving one, is probably the closest to her true personality, though a person's true personality is indeed a mixture of many different facets of themselves. People are naturally full of contradictions. So I mostly agree with Taichi's heroic desires, and just want Hime to open herself up a little more. Or maybe she's been helping everyone along through her own means, kind of like Fujishima. Like her advice to Aoki at the beginning of the episode. Maybe there's a hero in her somewhere, too.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 18:52   Link #1468
GalacticPulsar
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 19
This was a pretty meh episode. Not really much development in this one. All this drama in this show is just kind of silly imo. The first arc was more interesting since the events in the first few episodes had more momentum.
GalacticPulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 01:30   Link #1469
Snuffle
likes cute things
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Searching for more imoutos
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticPulsar View Post
This was a pretty meh episode. Not really much development in this one. All this drama in this show is just kind of silly imo. The first arc was more interesting since the events in the first few episodes had more momentum.
Interesting, it's actually the opposite for me. I found the body swapping arc very bland and not used to it's full potential, while the burst of inner feelings arc is much more intriguing,
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 04:08   Link #1470
Qilin
Romanticist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 23
Good enough episode for me. Heartseed not showing up is a definite plus.

I like how this episode brings up an interesting problem. It's easy to see how they're so quick to use Heartseed as a scapegoat for the incidents. While there's nothing incorrect about doing so, it is clear that they are only doing so to shift the responsibility for their actions from themselves, a self-defense mechanism of sorts. It can't articulate it too well, but it seems that this episode asks some pretty good questions: How should human beings deal with their "inner desires"? Do they simply exist to be suppressed like what Himeko and Yui are already doing? Or are they issues that should be integrated into the expression of the self?

Given all the self loathing at work here, I think this show is headed towards the latter, that is, the path of self-acceptance. As such, the critical point here is that they start taking responsibility for their own impulses and accept the consequences. As long as they keep denying it, nothing will happen.

On another note, I'm glad that this episode finally went and subverted Taichi's character like I wanted. It appears that he's the kind of person that imposes his unrealistic standards onto others. I still can't sympathize with him much, but it's a step above what we've had so far, so I'm good with it.
__________________
Damaged Goods
"There’s an up higher than up, but at the very top, down is all there is."
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 17:48   Link #1471
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
You guys are so mean It's a beauty mark man, beauty mark!
I don't mean anything against Iori, in fact, she's my favorite of the series, and the one I'd most want to actually go to school with. Never a dull moment when she's around... And if there is, she'll just liven things up by randomly yelling "YAHOO!"
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 19:04   Link #1472
Shimapan
Try me! <3
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 31
Didn't really like ep. 7... for the most part, it was utterly pointless.

First Taichi wants to go a visit Yui to "help". All the others have to hold him back, to keep him in check. Taichi's white knight syndrome starts to look downright pathological.

The rest of the episode was pretty much only all four of them shouting at others:
  • Inaban shouting at Yui. While what she said made sense (HS might do something drastic if they're not interesting), shouting it at the already instable Yui was bad.
  • Iori shouting at her classmate over trivial stuff. Could be solved by mediation.
  • Aoki shouting a HS, threatening to kill him. He really sounded as if he would do it. It would be seriously bad if he tried to do that while HS is in the teacher's body.
  • Taichi shouting at Inaban. This was totally uncalled for and by far the most hurtful of all of them. Yet still, even as he realised what he had done, he was being an asshole and didn't even apologize or anything, but simply let her go. I really felt like kicking him for that.

As I said at the beginning, all this shouting was extremely pointless. Last episode, you could make out clear objectives. Inaban's desire for Taichi was unleashed so she's more honest with her feelings to Taichi. Yui beat up the rowdies to show her that man are not to be feared at all, and that she can even deal with several of them with no problem. Very similar to what Taichi did, just a number larger. Curiously, it didn't have the desired effect, but in the very opposited had go her into shock and made her lock up herself in her room.

Having them shout at others though served no purpose whatsoever, and and it didn't accomplish anything at all either. Making all of them shout at others was thus totally pointless - unless HeartSeed suddenly turned malicious and did all that with the prime objective of harming them and making them hate each other. That however would really surprise me, as so far HS hasn't done anything with the prime purpose of harming them and making them hate each other, not even the jump-off-the-bridge staff.

I really hope this confusing and pointless stuff is cleared up in the next episode.
__________________
Shimapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 19:21   Link #1473
s2012k1993
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I have an interesting hypothesis concerning Heartseed's trolling/experimentation. I don't think it has any obvious faults.

Say a person has a set of desires. By desires, I mean certain ideas and actions that benefit one's welfare, however indirect they may be. Of course, whether a desire benefits one's welfare will be totally dependent on the person in question. Now, I can assign a numerical value to a person's desires; the higher the number, the more crucial that desire is to one's welfare.

Normally, when we take an action, we subconsciously debate which desire is more important and act on that. More often than not, multiple desires dictate our decision. I have a desire to write a post on AnimeSuki. I also have a desire to grab a piece of chocolate and enjoy eating it outside. My biggest desire, however, is to arrive for my date on time. Realizing that if I act on my most crucial desire, the date of course, I might not have a chance to write down my thoughts on AnimeSuki's KC forum and eat the delicious chocolate, I decide to be a little late to my date and enjoy my chocolate while writing a post on AnimeSuki. Such decision making happens all throughout one's life.

Now, suppose there are a few desires that concern one's welfare way more than others. There will be times when one might have to act on these desires. However, one is never completely unconscious of his or her other smaller desires. Even though my desire to attend the date is very important, I don't forsake some smaller desires completely for the sake of this one desire.

What Heartseed seems to have the ability to do is to make one forget all of his or her other desires, when proper time comes to act on a big desire. Inaba has a desire to be with Taichi. When the proper situation comes, Heartseed erases Inaba smaller desires (to finish the paper, to be concerned about the relationship between Iori and Taichi) in order to push Inaba to act on the sole desire to release her sexual tensions with Taichi. The same can be said for the others as well.

This implies that Heartseed not only can understand people's desires, but he might also be able to see through time and find the proper time to cancel other desires in favor of one's top desire(s) to entice the most entertaining response.
s2012k1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 19:25   Link #1474
Snuffle
likes cute things
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Searching for more imoutos
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
[*]Taichi shouting at Inaban. This was totally uncalled for and by far the most hurtful of all of them. Yet still, even as he realised what he had done, he was being an asshole and didn't even apologize or anything, but simply let her go. I really felt like kicking him for that.

I really hope this confusing and pointless stuff is cleared up in the next episode.
That's being pretty harsh on Taichi don't you think? Inaba has done much worse especially to him. Not saying that gives him the right to talk to her like that, but Inaba does questionable things to others out of her OWN violation while Taichi was expressing feelings due to Heart Seed's control which he would normally keep to himself.

I thought this whole show was about Heart Seed teaching these kids that they need to break out of their shell and be more honest and trusting etc. That's how I see it anyway. So I don't really think all of this is pointless.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 19:38   Link #1475
Shimapan
Try me! <3
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
That's being pretty harsh on Taichi don't you think?
No, not at all.
Actually, the more I think about Taichi, and the more is revealed about him, the more I'm convinced that he has some sort of pathological disorder.
His urge to help others, totally disregarding personal safety, is way beyond what ordinary people would do. Something must've made him the way he is, something very traumatic, most likely. Possibly he did something very bad in the past, or generally behave very badly, until a certain occurence which had a large impact on him. As a result of his actions and the eventual catalyst, he developed a massive amount of self-hate and now does everything he can to help others, in an attempt to somehow erase or ease the burden of the bad things he did before.
__________________
Shimapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 19:43   Link #1476
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
What makes his desire to help people more suspicious than Himeko's desire to not help anybody? I'm not saying Taichi is completely in the right, but either extreme is detrimental. At the very least, altruism can have a positive effect on other people, both to the people it helps and possibly inspiring others. Complete selfishness and lack of trust don't have those benefits.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 19:50   Link #1477
Snuffle
likes cute things
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Searching for more imoutos
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
No, not at all.
Actually, the more I think about Taichi, and the more is revealed about him, the more I'm convinced that he has some sort of pathological disorder.
His urge to help others, totally disregarding personal safety, is way beyond what ordinary people would do. Something must've made him the way he is, something very traumatic, most likely. Possibly he did something very bad in the past, or generally behave very badly, until a certain occurence which had a large impact on him. As a result of his actions and the eventual catalyst, he developed a massive amount of self-hate and now does everything he can to help others, in an attempt to somehow erase or ease the burden of the bad things he did before.
I completely agree with you. I've always felt Taichi's obsession to help people has to do with something that has scarred him in the past, now the only way he thinks he can find salvation is to chase down every problem and try and fix it. I also think there is also some kind of connection with him liking wrestling so much, the wrestlers need to endure and he is fascinated by that for some reason.

My previous comment was more directed towards with you wanting to kick him though.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 20:10   Link #1478
MrPopo
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2012k1993 View Post
I have an interesting hypothesis concerning Heartseed's trolling/experimentation. I don't think it has any obvious faults.

Say a person has a set of desires. By desires, I mean certain ideas and actions that benefit one's welfare, however indirect they may be. Of course, whether a desire benefits one's welfare will be totally dependent on the person in question. Now, I can assign a numerical value to a person's desires; the higher the number, the more crucial that desire is to one's welfare.

Normally, when we take an action, we subconsciously debate which desire is more important and act on that. More often than not, multiple desires dictate our decision. I have a desire to write a post on AnimeSuki. I also have a desire to grab a piece of chocolate and enjoy eating it outside. My biggest desire, however, is to arrive for my date on time. Realizing that if I act on my most crucial desire, the date of course, I might not have a chance to write down my thoughts on AnimeSuki's KC forum and eat the delicious chocolate, I decide to be a little late to my date and enjoy my chocolate while writing a post on AnimeSuki. Such decision making happens all throughout one's life.

Now, suppose there are a few desires that concern one's welfare way more than others. There will be times when one might have to act on these desires. However, one is never completely unconscious of his or her other smaller desires. Even though my desire to attend the date is very important, I don't forsake some smaller desires completely for the sake of this one desire.

What Heartseed seems to have the ability to do is to make one forget all of his or her other desires, when proper time comes to act on a big desire. Inaba has a desire to be with Taichi. When the proper situation comes, Heartseed erases Inaba smaller desires (to finish the paper, to be concerned about the relationship between Iori and Taichi) in order to push Inaba to act on the sole desire to release her sexual tensions with Taichi. The same can be said for the others as well.

This implies that Heartseed not only can understand people's desires, but he might also be able to see through time and find the proper time to cancel other desires in favor of one's top desire(s) to entice the most entertaining response.
Heartseed is probably manipulating things to a certain degree, but I don't think we can say he's singling out the cast's top desires. Tachi is an extreme example of a white knight, helping people is his ultimate source of pleasure and similarly, seeing people suffering is his ultimate source of pain. In this recent arc, we see Tachi pondering and performing acts that don't conform to his usual white knight self. For example, in episode 5, Tachi gets the impulse to sock that lesbian girl because she was putting the moves on Iori. Here we have a case where a lesser desire, having Iori to himself, overpowers a stronger desire which is Tachi's desire to be a white knight (I suppose it's debatable which really is the stronger desire, but I'd be prepared to argue for my case). These lesser impulses provide ample entertainment, maybe even more than seeing someone act out their top desires because we get to see a side of that character we don't usually see.
__________________
MrPopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 21:36   Link #1479
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
What makes his desire to help people more suspicious than Himeko's desire to not help anybody?
The fact that he's male?
__________________
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 21:41   Link #1480
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Shouldn't altruism be a universal trait of humans that's worth looking up to in anybody, regardless of gender?
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.