AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-08-27, 09:10   Link #581
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hyakka Ryoran
Age: 24
Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
Out of curiosity, is it because of the novel you're able to say this, or is there an hint that I'm missing ? I rewatched every episodes looking for hints, and haven't really caught anything other than Watashi trying to prevent fairies from reproducing in the first episode (implying she had issue with that before).
Because of the novel. It's not like it was with Haruhi which had the stories switched originally - it was done because the animators wanted to do so, so I can't find the reason for watching for this "hints" or something like this.
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 09:19   Link #582
Kaylia
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I can't express how genius this episode was. Not exactly sure what the exact purpose of this episode was, but I think it was to criticize humanity's reliance on over-consumption. Also I'm surprised no one invented contraceptives for that island! Those faeries were breeding like ants!

Regardless, best episode of the series so far. Even beats that manga industry parody arc.
http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/featur...-why-they-fail
http://catastrophemap.com/easter.html

The direct inspiration for this episode is most likely Easter island. Their civilization flourished, but they cut down all trees, the land eroded, crops wouldn't grow, and they all died horribly. Sound similar? Mankind has failed quite a few time before.

Like every others episode so far, Jinrui is pointing mankind's self-destructive behavior. In this case, I think it's exactly what we saw: overpopulation+over consumption. If nobody worry about exponential growth like this before it's too late, you can always hit a point of no return, and that's what happened.

The example is striking for a small island, but many forget that the our Earth is also limited in size and resources, and we could reach that point easily if we let thing continue they way they do.


There might have been a jab at GMO in there as well, but it's hard to tell with fairies crazy technologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
Because of the novel. It's not like it was with Haruhi which had the stories switched originally - it was done because the animators wanted to do so, so I can't find the reason for watching for this "hints" or something like this.
I suspected this was the case, but that doesn't mean the director can't enhance a story by adding their own touch. If they took the initiative to air episodes out of order, they probably took the initiative to give the viewer a chance to put them back in the correct one. That doesn't mean it's there yet, there is still 3 episodes to go, but it would be surprising if they don't address the order one way or the other.


Jinrui has been incredibly clever so far, and trying to figure everything out for fun is plenty of fun. That's more than enough for me to watch for these "hints", even if most viewers only cares about the cute girl and fairies doing funny things. Not to say I don't enjoy that as well >_>.

Last edited by Kaylia; 2012-08-27 at 11:54.
Kaylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 09:40   Link #583
AmeNoJaku
dead-pan
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Europe
The episode was great and all, but compared to the rest was the less mystifying and required the least effort to understand it... also the subs are still over-localizing, I really do not understand why they translated "banzaix3" as "god save the queen"
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 12:44   Link #584
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Age: 29
I used to assume that the Human Monument project was intended to represent vaporware on a massive scale, just something being thrown around to demonstrate how ineffectual humans were at getting anything done, but this episode makes me wonder if it's meant more as an impending death-knell for civilization, Easter Island style. Many people pointed out the comparisons, and I notice that approximations of the Moai were among the fairies ill-conceived efforts.

This show is relentlessly satirical. The fairies of course provide microcosms of the subject matter being lambasted, but Watashi's so biting, cynical, and occasionally amoral that she completely earns her top billing.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 13:35   Link #585
Kaylia
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I used to assume that the Human Monument project was intended to represent vaporware on a massive scale, just something being thrown around to demonstrate how ineffectual humans were at getting anything done, but this episode makes me wonder if it's meant more as an impending death-knell for civilization, Easter Island style.
I think it does...to a certain extent.

My interpretation of Jinrui has a whole is that humanity never thinks of the consequences of their actions, they never show any sign of curiosity (beside Watashi), and they consumes recklessly everything they find. They are smart, but they aren't trying to understand their surrounding.

The Human Monument Project is ultimately a glorification of what caused the previous downfall, yet, they are embracing the newly discovered without thinking "what the hell happened to the people before us". Ultimately, whatever the old civilization did wrong, they are repeating it through the Human Monument Project.

Last edited by Kaylia; 2012-08-27 at 13:50.
Kaylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 06:23   Link #586
rickadams
Yggdrasil DJ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
This is referenced briefly in episode 9.
__________________
rickadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 09:43   Link #587
Saishy
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
And what happened to the bullied fairy? Did he really die? D:
__________________
Saishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 10:01   Link #588
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
The episode was great and all, but compared to the rest was the less mystifying and required the least effort to understand it...
Indeed. Not enough electric boogaloo.
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 10:09   Link #589
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Extreme? They're just doing what all human societies did, is in process of doing or will do in the future (see the Polynesians on Easter Island for a carbon copy example)
I wanted to say the same thing. Basically, every species with a drive for growth and expansion will be the one to rule its habitat. Humans scaled down because a stronger species stepped in. I wonder if this was a natural occurence or humans actually reflected on their tendencies and started restraining themselves.
__________________
cyth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 21:54   Link #590
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lost in the Fairy Forest
8 days on the island and the fairies clear cut the whole island in 3
__________________
Master_Yoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 21:56   Link #591
chaos_animagic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Them fairies are sooo cute... LOL

BTW, the above might be right.

The fairies duplicate themselves when they feel like they accomplished something (or having fun)
And the fairies are all of same age and size, not to mention they all seem to have massive intelligence once they're "born?".
The knowledge they have is probably more than the highest IQ in human history.

The fairies do not need to "learn" to do anything... unlike humans have to attend school or learn how to do stuff, Fairies just... Know... LOL


The stuff fairies invent or build in 1 day probably will take humans 10 years to do...
(I mean... fairies that never visited or saw human monuments before... suddenly can make all of them... and extremely fast too)
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 22:02   Link #592
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/featur...-why-they-fail
http://catastrophemap.com/easter.html

The direct inspiration for this episode is most likely Easter island. Their civilization flourished, but they cut down all trees, the land eroded, crops wouldn't grow, and they all died horribly. Sound similar? Mankind has failed quite a few time before.
The Easter Island thing is a myth. The civilization there didn't collapse until South American slave traders showed up and kidnapped a large portion of the population. See Dr. Peiser's From Genocide to Ecocide (pdf) for a thorough debunking of the enviro-disaster theory.

Last edited by Utsuro no Hako; 2012-08-28 at 22:12.
Utsuro no Hako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 22:08   Link #593
chaos_animagic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
stupid Slave Traders... they always ruins everything ;(
(slave traders still exist to this day....)
(btw, what would happen if you turn fairies into slaves? endless rain? LOL - could be an unlimited source of water.)
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 22:31   Link #594
AzureWrath
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I'm not sure if I should use spoilers for literary books, but I see this as a Japanese take on The Time Machine with a more satirical voice on our culture.

Spoiler for The Time Machine plot:


I'm not sure if making chibi humans is a common troupe for deconstructing humanity, but I thought it would be nice to share this. It seems to me that both authors had something to say about the state of humankind and that a hyperbole was the vehicle that both took.

EDIT: Oh ya, if I'm not mistaken, the protagonist isn't named in The Time Machine. Quite the coincidence huh : p
__________________
AzureWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 12:51   Link #595
klare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
they live through the rise and fall of a civilisation in just 9 days haha

i think they did not reveal about the missing fairy at the start before the OP, saving for next eps?

btw this is a very fun eps
__________________
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 17:47   Link #596
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
While watching
"(Damn those fairies already got a civilisation started, and it's gonna fall soon)"
cut to the next scene: "Day5"
*falling on floor laughing*
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 01:44   Link #597
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a cruel yet beautiful world
Age: 23
Spoiler for Megami scan:
__________________
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 19:21   Link #598
Qilin
Romanticist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 23
A bit late from me, but these last two arcs have been some of the most impressive we've seen so far. This latest episode could probably be renamed as "The History of Humanity: The Abridged Version". That's what it was and I loved every bit of it.

All I can say is that the ultimate outcome of civilization as alluded to in the episode is an inevitability as long as human society exists. As long as society strives for the sustenance of the race, population increase will naturally occur, bringing along with it a pressing need for expansion and consumption. As such, I didn't really see the episode as a critique of anything. Rather, it was saying that human society is doomed to ruin by the very fact of its existence. As long we aim for survival as a race, all the destruction and over-consumption are certain to happen. If anything, let's just blame it on our abnormally high adaptive capabilities as a population. Let's face it, we're like the intrusive, immortal cockroaches in nature's grand scheme.

Oh, right. The sharp jab at religion back there was pretty nice too.
__________________
Damaged Goods
"There’s an up higher than up, but at the very top, down is all there is."

Last edited by Qilin; 2012-08-31 at 19:51.
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 10:59   Link #599
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
End of the World Party 10/01 - A Girl Who Brought Down a City

"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes!" is the apocryphal advice, and perhaps something that Mai should've followed. Back to the very beginning, before Assistant or anyone else entered the picture. I am fascinated by the idea of Mai's school days, but I can't imagine them to have been very cheery, given the atmosphere.

The naming discussion with the Fairies casts light on why it's maybe a good thing that nobody in this show has a proper name. The fairies come and go at such a quick rate that naming any of them would require them to become main characters, and therefore stick around - something they're clearly not willing to do. Even if they do have the city of New New York in miniature and a fairy version of Mazinger Z to defend them. (There's a very good reason Mazinger's pool was not located at the top of a building.)

Like last episode, an abbreviated version of the rise and fall of a city, but now with the added touch of "playing God" added to it. The series is still holding my attention, so I'm curious what sort of note it's going to go out on.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 13:37   Link #600
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hyakka Ryoran
Age: 24
Send a message via ICQ to Iby
So here goes the episode that should have been the 1st one...
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fantasy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.