AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-08-27, 20:36   Link #741
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Well, I just watched a subbed version of the OVA and I gotta say, it was big flop in my opinion. Whereas the series proper is the very best anime adaptation of an ongoing manga that I've ever seen, if this anime original had been the first episode of the series (and I hadn't read the manga, or maybe even if I had), I wouldn't have watched the rest of the series.

My biggest problem was the whole "Hell's Museum" bit. My primary objection is personal, not liking the concept of tying up women against their will. Well, I am assuming it was against Urabe's will, but we don't really know. I do realize that tying people up is how a certain segment of the Japanese population gets their sexual kicks, but it's not for me. Anyhow, I just found the whole "Hell's Museum" bit, how should I put it, too creepy for this series? No, more like out of place. It just didn't feel like it went with the flow of the anime (or manga for that matter).

I also found Oka irritatingly obnoxious, as usual, and there was one thing I just didn't get. Why would Urabe allow Oka to take her picture? Repeatedly? This was definitely a very big inconsistency. Did the anime writers forget that she doesn't like her picture taken? Guess so.

I can't say that I was terribly disappointed, as I had heard it rumored that it was going to be an anime original OVA (on top of the fact that I absolutely hated the lastest arc in the manga which came to a conclusion after anime series had ended). I would much have preferred that they had gone with one of the stand-alone episodes of the manga, of which there were several they could have chosen from. Frankly, I just don't get what they were trying to do with this OVA.

I have come away from watching this OVA wishing that I hadn't. Now, when I recommend that people watch the series, I'll have to add, "but don't bother watching the OVA."
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 08:53   Link #742
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Well, I just watched a subbed version of the OVA and I gotta say, it was big flop in my opinion. Whereas the series proper is the very best anime adaptation of an ongoing manga that I've ever seen, if this anime original had been the first episode of the series (and I hadn't read the manga, or maybe even if I had), I wouldn't have watched the rest of the series.

My biggest problem was the whole "Hell's Museum" bit. My primary objection is personal, not liking the concept of tying up women against their will. Well, I am assuming it was against Urabe's will, but we don't really know. I do realize that tying people up is how a certain segment of the Japanese population gets their sexual kicks, but it's not for me. Anyhow, I just found the whole "Hell's Museum" bit, how should I put it, too creepy for this series? No, more like out of place. It just didn't feel like it went with the flow of the anime (or manga for that matter).

I also found Oka irritatingly obnoxious, as usual, and there was one thing I just didn't get. Why would Urabe allow Oka to take her picture? Repeatedly? This was definitely a very big inconsistency. Did the anime writers forget that she doesn't like her picture taken? Guess so.

I can't say that I was terribly disappointed, as I had heard it rumored that it was going to be an anime original OVA (on top of the fact that I absolutely hated the lastest arc in the manga which came to a conclusion after anime series had ended). I would much have preferred that they had gone with one of the stand-alone episodes of the manga, of which there were several they could have chosen from. Frankly, I just don't get what they were trying to do with this OVA.

I have come away from watching this OVA wishing that I hadn't. Now, when I recommend that people watch the series, I'll have to add, "but don't bother watching the OVA."
You sorta have to read Discommunication and it's sequels to appreciate the OVA.
omimon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 09:28   Link #743
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
You sorta have to read Discommunication and it's sequels to appreciate the OVA.
I have read Discommunication and everything else by the mangaka, but that doesn't make me like this OVA at all.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 15:18   Link #744
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
OVA

The summer festival fun!
Urabe in a yukata... well, everyone in yukata was nice.
Tsubaki & Urabe + Ueno & Oka = double date ^^
The string lottery was interesting & kinda sweet too.
It really did bring them even closer together ^^
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 23:55   Link #745
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Definitely an episode that embraced the surreal and magical more than any of the TV eps, but I didn't mind that at all. MGX is one of the best relationship anime in recent years and this story did what all the good eps of the TV did - advance the main relationship in a believable way despite the bizarre nature of the story itself.

I especially loved the last scene between the two Kami at the shrine, and Togawa's monologue about falling in love as embracing mystery. Yuuki Hiro and Hayashibara Megumi were incredible and Matsubuya and Togawa - a list of her roles (Ranma, Nuku-Nuku, Ayanami Rei, etc.) is pretty awe-inspiring.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 03:27   Link #746
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Illusion Destroying Picture

Images
Nazo no Kareshi x
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 14:48   Link #747
StBullet
NOPE
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Test Chamber #274
"Emergency Announcement" tomorrow

A 2nd season, perhaps? Or another OVA?
__________________


StBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 15:52   Link #748
totoum
Gamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
You know what,I don't care if i'm disappointed later,I'm gonna hope it's a 2nd season announcement.
__________________
totoum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 17:12   Link #749
ArturEngel
Kiririn's minion
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Germany
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
You know what,I don't care if i'm disappointed later,I'm gonna hope it's a 2nd season announcement.
Definitally, there must be a 2nd season. I guess first one was just teasing =)
Kinda like the art of the show. Does anybody know, which studio has made it?
__________________
CHAMBER: Response to final warning: Go to Hell, Tin Can!
ArturEngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 20:24   Link #750
FDW
AH.com Ambassador
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturEngel View Post
Definitally, there must be a 2nd season. I guess first one was just teasing =)
Kinda like the art of the show. Does anybody know, which studio has made it?
Hoods Entertainment. They've mostly been known for fanservice-heavy series before this.
__________________
Blame Thande!
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 06:23   Link #751
totoum
Gamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturEngel View Post
Definitally, there must be a 2nd season. I guess first one was just teasing =)
Turns out the big thing is just an event where's they'll screen all 13 episodes and the director will be there.

I'd totally go if I lived in japan

Maybe they're just testing the popularity of the show to see if there's enough interst in it to make a second season.
__________________
totoum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 06:25   Link #752
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Turns out the big thing is just an event where's they'll screen all 13 episodes and the director will be there.

I'd totally go if I lived in japan

Maybe they're just testing the popularity of the show to see if there's enough interst in it to make a second season.
Gee, I wonder if this info could be of value to anybody...

What's the translation? How much are the tickets and where's it being held?
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 06:52   Link #753
totoum
Gamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Gee, I wonder if this info could be of value to anybody...

What's the translation? How much are the tickets and where's it being held?
Here's the raw info from the website:

Quote:
「謎の彼女X」全13話+「謎の夏祭り」一挙上映イベント開催決定!!

<新文芸坐アニメスタイル セレクションVol. 34 
     Blu-ray&DVD最終巻発売記念 謎の『謎の彼女X』上映会>

■日時:2012年12月1日(土) 22:30~

■上映作品:『謎の彼女X』全13話+「謎の夏祭り」(原作第9巻限定版OADエピソード)

■トークショー:渡辺歩監督、小黒祐一郎さん(アニメスタイル)

■場所:新文芸坐(東京・池袋)

■チケット:一般2500円/前売・新文芸坐友の会2300円

※オールナイト上映につき18歳未満の入場不可
※来場プレゼント&抽選プレゼントあり
※新文芸坐窓口・チケットぴあにて整理番号付き前売券を近日発売
※問合せ:新文芸坐 03-3971-9422 http://www.shin-bungeiza.com/
You're the local,you figure out the details
__________________
totoum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 16:13   Link #754
MAX_COLA_POWER!
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Well Well, our series is getting a dub. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...end-x-dub-cast
__________________
She's in your internets, watching you masterdebate.
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 20:40   Link #755
Pat123
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southwestern USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StBullet View Post
"Emergency Announcement" tomorrow

A 2nd season, perhaps? Or another OVA?
Since the manga is ongoing, my personal preference is a second season. However, it might be worth waiting for a few more chapters to finish first.

I was not impressed by the OVA. It was nice, but a bit cornier than the series. Urabe, especially, seemed quite out of character.
Pat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
romance, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.