AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Hyouka

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-04, 04:00   Link #1421
rulfo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
So this is with regards to the questions for episode number.

Anyway the post I was referring to earlier was this one. I don't know about the credibility of this source but here it is anyway.

Also a bit of question which volume is the OVA included in?
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 04:58   Link #1422
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Hyouka is a total of 22 episodes. There are a total of 11 volumes of the BD/DVD, and each volume has 2 episodes.

Episode 11.5 is not an OVA, it's an OAD. It will not be on any of the BD/DVD volumes, instead it will be on a blu-ray disc included with the limited edition release of Vol3 of the Hyouka manga due in on Jan 13 2013.

Syoboi is not a good source for how long a show is or when it will stop airing because they simply reproduce broadcast information as it is made available to the public from various TV stations. When there is no fixed data, their listings are based on forecasts to the end of the broadcast season. In this case they have listings up until the end of September, but it is not accurate.

Hope that helps.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 04:59   Link #1423
Hyper
Irregular Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 27
Meaning, next week episode is not the last airing episode, correct? Well, that's a good news.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 05:29   Link #1424
rulfo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Hyouka is a total of 22 episodes. There are a total of 11 volumes of the BD/DVD, and each volume has 2 episodes.

Episode 11.5 is not an OVA, it's an OAD. It will not be on any of the BD/DVD volumes, instead it will be on a blu-ray disc included with the limited edition release of Vol3 of the Hyouka manga due in on Jan 13 2013.

Syoboi is not a good source for how long a show is or when it will stop airing because they simply reproduce broadcast information as it is made available to the public from various TV stations. When there is no fixed data, their listings are based on forecasts to the end of the broadcast season. In this case they have listings up until the end of September, but it is not accurate.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for clearing that up. That makes sense to not break the 2 episode per volume scheme they have.

I was wondering where the extra episode would go.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 05:56   Link #1425
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Meaning, next week episode is not the last airing episode, correct? Well, that's a good news.
Correct. Teletama's schedule for next week shows that ep22 will be broadcasting per normal on 9/16: http://www.teletama.jp/web/Second.html
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 06:09   Link #1426
Hata
時の異邦人
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Emerald City
I agree 22 makes more sense, we have 2 stories left from book 4, while 21 (handmade chocolate) is not a good ending type of episode for the anime, the other 22 (little birds can remember) is, both in term of story and chronological order.
__________________
2014 Spring: Broken Blade, Mushishi Zoku-Shou, Sidonia no Kishi,
Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo R, Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 07:39   Link #1427
whitecloud
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
great then...so what do guys think...will second season be made? or will it be just a movie for the fifth novel? (fifth novel is the last right?)
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 08:00   Link #1428
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
The story is still ongoing. The first four books cover the first year of school. The fifth book starts the second year. The author isn't done, but he's just busy writing other stuff as well. He still does a new short story for Koutenbu now and then. They'll probably wait for more material before doing a second season. Will probably take a few years. Don't expect any sort of continuation anytime soon.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 10:11   Link #1429
teja208
Critical fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere with anime and anime discussion is fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
The story is still ongoing. The first four books cover the first year of school. The fifth book starts the second year. The author isn't done, but he's just busy writing other stuff as well. He still does a new short story for Koutenbu now and then. They'll probably wait for more material before doing a second season. Will probably take a few years. Don't expect any sort of continuation anytime soon.
Any idea what other projects Hyouka author is working on?
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 13:21   Link #1430
Nico87
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Any idea what other projects Hyouka author is working on?
According to ANN, nothing.
Nico87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 15:09   Link #1431
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Any idea what other projects Hyouka author is working on?
Btw let me add something to this: while Hyouka's story is pretty nice don't forget that the script for the TV adaptation is being helmed by Gatoh Shouji. Btw can anyone familiar with the novels comment on what effect he's had on the show's pacing, character development and other details? I'm actually rather curious as a FMP fan.
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 21:10   Link #1432
rulfo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico87 View Post
According to ANN, nothing.
ANN most of the time, lists those either Video Games or Anime/Manga related.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show...onobu_Yonezawa

One of his works even got a live action

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incite_Mill
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 05:17   Link #1433
Hata
時の異邦人
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Emerald City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
I agree 22 makes more sense, we have 2 stories left from book 4, while 21 (handmade chocolate) is not a good ending type of episode for the anime, the other 22 (little birds can remember) is, both in term of story and chronological order.
forgot to add, since we already knew 21 is the chocolate episode, we can tell what episode 22 is from the spoiler in OP2.
__________________
2014 Spring: Broken Blade, Mushishi Zoku-Shou, Sidonia no Kishi,
Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo R, Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 19:39   Link #1434
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
What I think Hyouka does best is character interactions and development. In a sense, the story focuses on that moreso than the actual mysteries that the Classics Club tries to solve. It's called a mystery, but it's not like other mystery shows where they have to solve a case involving a dead body. The mysteries are more about things you wonder about during the day or during your free time.

One avenue the show succeeds greatly on is the development of the main male lead Houtarou Oreki. Throughout the show, he's gradually changed to become somewhat different than he was at the beginning. It's nothing drastic, but it's still noticable.

Personally, I also love the color palette, BGM, and sensation from the show. It's very earthy without being too bright. To me, it really fits the atmosphere.
I'll echo this--all four leads in my view get a good deal of character development, and even Eru, who might have remained for the entire series a 2-D comedic moe-magnet (which I still would have liked) gets a lot of great characterization that makes her into a delightful character.

For me, though, Oreki is just priceless--smart, snide, and sarcastic, but without being malicious, and a soft spot for the girl he likes. There's also a real charm to his insecurity--for so many male anime leads, insecurity leads to a sort of adolescent angst that is just painful for me to watch sometimes. Oreki really is way too down on himself, but he presses on to help Eru and his friends, and they repay him by showing him that the world is not as gray as it seems.

The visuals are also just drop-dead gorgeous.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 10:20   Link #1435
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Full TV broadcast listings for shows ending in September and starting in early October have been released. Hyouka is confirmed to be 22 episodes with the series broadcast concluding on 9/16.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 00:25   Link #1436
sky black swordman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
^Thanks for the Info.

I cant say I am not a sad its ending.
__________________
Date A Live -Tohka Yatogami
sky black swordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 01:54   Link #1437
Hyper
Irregular Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
I'll echo this--all four leads in my view get a good deal of character development, and even Eru, who might have remained for the entire series a 2-D comedic moe-magnet (which I still would have liked) gets a lot of great characterization that makes her into a delightful character.

For me, though, Oreki is just priceless--smart, snide, and sarcastic, but without being malicious, and a soft spot for the girl he likes. There's also a real charm to his insecurity--for so many male anime leads, insecurity leads to a sort of adolescent angst that is just painful for me to watch sometimes. Oreki really is way too down on himself, but he presses on to help Eru and his friends, and they repay him by showing him that the world is not as gray as it seems.

The visuals are also just drop-dead gorgeous.
I think one thing Hyouka did well is developing the characters by showing what they did rather than telling us that they changed, especially in case of Houtarou. He might as well screaming his angst inside, but the only part we saw is a brief one on the movie arc. All too often, "character development" was done by screaming at us the audience as part of a dialogue or inner monologue. I'm not saying Hyouka didn't do that, but I think a lot of them was shown rather than told. For example, Houtarou's description of Eru has never changed, I think. If someone asked, his answer would be the same in episode 20 as in the first: a proper lady who is a manifestation of curiosity and a little bit annoying because she just won't let him ignore her. But when we look at his responds to her "kininarimasu" it is cleared that he changed.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 12:01   Link #1438
whitecloud
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Hey...what happen in the episode 22....episode 21 is so sad....
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 17:15   Link #1439
Jin Kizuite
Guns Galore!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: United Kingdom.
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Jin Kizuite Send a message via Skype™ to Jin Kizuite
I just don't like how its supposedly young teenagers coming up with this deduction stuff.
__________________
Get going... Badass will cover you!

Credit @ fallschirmjager
Jin Kizuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 21:48   Link #1440
rulfo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin Kizuite View Post
I just don't like how its supposedly young teenagers coming up with this deduction stuff.
How so? Too far fetched?

If that's so that's kinda weird since we have a lot of talented kids right here and there.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adaptation, kyoto animation, mystery, shounen, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.