AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-05, 23:58   Link #21
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I know people are giving Kio a lot of flake because of his resent actions but please look at the bigger picture Kio is not a real soldier. He's a kid who Flit trained/conditioned with video games to fight what he believed to be monsters and he was all for it at first, however Kio wasn't prepared for a more complexed problem of realizing there are people in these mobile suits.
That doesn't make any sense.

Since he was trained when he was very young then his skill levels should be very high. That was the whole point of Flit doing it in the first place. When Kio steps into the Gundam he would feel right at home and it'd be second nature to him. This was demonstrated when he took out that Vagan artillery without harming the city itself. Had Flit not trained Kio he could've made a reckless decision that could've caused lots of collateral damage (Ex. Kira using Strike's buster cannon to attack Ra but accidently blew a giant hole in the colony)

Quote:
In a way it was Flit whose partly at fault for the way Kio has turned out. Now that Kio sees that his Grandpa isn't really the nice righteous old man he thought he was he's confused and without proper guidance this no kill plan was the best thing he could come up with on his own.
It doesn't matter. Just because he now views things differently doesn't mean his skill level would drop.

Heck generally speaking most gundam protagonists in Kio's age bracket are dumped into a war they dont' want to fight in but as time progresses they get better and better.

Kio on the other hand just seems to be getting worse and worse.

At the very least Kira in Freedom was able to stand up to tougher and tougher enemies even with his no-kill policy. Kio can't even do jack.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 00:02   Link #22
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
That doesn't make any sense.

Since he was trained when he was very young then his skill levels should be very high. That was the whole point of Flit doing it in the first place. When Kio steps into the Gundam he would feel right at home and it'd be second nature to him. This was demonstrated when he took out that Vagan artillery without harming the city itself. Had Flit not trained Kio he could've made a reckless decision that could've caused lots of collateral damage (Ex. Kira using Strike's buster cannon to attack Ra but accidently blew a giant hole in the colony)
You missed his point. What Dark Wing is saying is that Kio wasn't trained as a soldier and thus does not have the mindset nor discipline of a soldier. There's more to being a soldier than just knowing how to pull a trigger.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 00:42   Link #23
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
You missed his point. What Dark Wing is saying is that Kio wasn't trained as a soldier and thus does not have the mindset nor discipline of a soldier. There's more to being a soldier than just knowing how to pull a trigger.
Except Kio has been involved in several battles by now and experience is very valuable so add that on top of his training with Flit he should be a very capable pilot.

And if there's an issue with the discipline and mindset about pulling a trigger he's already done it anyways so I fail to see the point in that.

Plus, he himself made the choice to continue fighting which involves disabling the suits which really is still pulling the trigger. If he had an issue with pulling the trigger to begin with he shouldn't be in that suit at all. All he's doing is not killing them but disabling them.

My point being is that his experience plus training including his x-rounder powers should make him a very capable pilot in being able to "defend" himself properly yet he can't even do that against competent pilots. He should be improving not degrading.

And I don't understand the part about Kio not knowing the Vagans were human. I was under the impression since G1 it was common knowledge that they were colonists from Mars. Heck Ezcelant even showed his face and you can see that he's human as you can be.

Last edited by SoldierOfDarkness; 2012-09-06 at 00:54.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 02:51   Link #24
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Okay let me try this again because you're taking what I'm trying to say too literally.

Yes Kio is indeed a skilled pilot trained since his early childhood but he never had the mentality of a REAL solider who has been trained in how to properly conduct himself on the battle field. A REAL solider would be able to pick up a weapon and attack his/her opponents without thinking about it because that is what they're trained to do. Kio has never been properly trained and is obviously still mentally a child how doesn't fully understand how war really works.

Also what I mean by see the Vagan as human is simple. With the combination of Flint dehumanizing the Vagan and Kio lack of knowledge of them beyond what he has seen on the battle field led him to classify all Vagan as monster that need to be destroyed. Now Kio goes to the second moon and sees that they all aren't evil as his Grandpa led him to believe.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 07:52   Link #25
Raysoul
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
People's reaction to Kio is very similar to people's reaction to Banagher during episode 4. :lol:
__________________
Gundam Age > 00 + Seed Combined
Raysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 08:59   Link #26
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Yes Kio is indeed a skilled pilot trained since his early childhood but he never had the mentality of a REAL solider who has been trained in how to properly conduct himself on the battle field. A REAL solider would be able to pick up a weapon and attack his/her opponents without thinking about it because that is what they're trained to do. Kio has never been properly trained and is obviously still mentally a child how doesn't fully understand how war really works.
So in that case, why is Kio still allowed to go to the battlefield with the FX?

Please explain this to me: why is one of, if not, the most advanced MS in the entire federation is given to a 13 yo child who had never been trained like a proper soldier, has no idea how to conduct himself like a real soldier on the battlefield, has expressed that even if it came to the point where the enemy will kill him if he still didn't fight back he would still not kill his enemy, still mentally a child who doesn't fully understand the situation he is in? Why isn't he taken away from the battlefield by his parents (he has those yeah? Two of them I think. I think he he even has an aunt and a Grandmother as well somewhere. Oh and a Grandfather ...) so that he won't end up killing himself with his idea of ''fighting his own way'' (which is no better than suicide) and the AGE FX given to a REAL soldier who had been properly trained, knows how to conduct himself on the battlefield and won't end up throwing his life away carelessly?

See, this is the problem with looking with the bigger picture and realizing that Kio is a child who has no clue what to do, because you then realize that it makes no sense for him to be in there in the first place. He is a child who has no idea of what do in this situation, has no reason to stay there, and can be taken out because he is not a soldier, but an underage kid who for some bizarre reason his mother didn't think of taking him with her away from all of this after learning about him being held as a prisoner of war with the nation they were in war with over half a century, or his Grandfather to push him away after hearing how he didn't want to follow orders, or for his father ... actually you know what, we already know that Asem doesn't give a rats ass what goes on with his family.

The entire thing is insane. Why is Kio allowed to do any of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Now Kio goes to the second moon and sees that they all aren't evil as his Grandpa led him to believe.
He meet a sick girl there ...
__________________
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 09:14   Link #27
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Yes Kio is indeed a skilled pilot trained since his early childhood but he never had the mentality of a REAL solider who has been trained in how to properly conduct himself on the battle field. A REAL solider would be able to pick up a weapon and attack his/her opponents without thinking about it because that is what they're trained to do. Kio has never been properly trained and is obviously still mentally a child how doesn't fully understand how war really works.
That's irrelevant. In his first sorties Kio was critized by Shanuala in regards to how he was conducting himself during the fight. Then he was also dealt a blow when he found out she was a traitor yet after that nothing came out of it.

That still doesn't explain why his skills have degraded. And again he himself made that decision to continue fighting his own way and if its as bad as you say it is he shouldn't be there in the first place. What did most gundam pilots do when it came down to those things? They simply refused to fight or even get in the damn suit.

ANd he's still pulling the damn trigger which involves him disabling suits, he's simply not looking to kill them so he clearly doesn't have an issue with that part.

Quote:
Also what I mean by see the Vagan as human is simple. With the combination of Flint dehumanizing the Vagan and Kio lack of knowledge of them beyond what he has seen on the battle field led him to classify all Vagan as monster that need to be destroyed. Now Kio goes to the second moon and sees that they all aren't evil as his Grandpa led him to believe.
?????

We saw nothing of that sort. He met a sick girl and all of a sudden that justifies everything that the Vagans have done in the war? The fact that Ezcelant pointed out he thought Kio was his son doesn't help that either.

We didn't even see a single Vagan who was against the war to begin with or even question why they were fighting in the first place.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 11:55   Link #28
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post

The entire thing is insane. Why is Kio allowed to do any of this?
Simple answer he's the main character of the last part of the story so we needs to be involved in the war somehow.

A more complicated answer may be that the Earth Federation is short on man power because of all the fight happening on Earth. Also Flint is pulling most of the strings here so may be he believe Kio will come around.

I still wish the series expanded on this a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
That's irrelevant. In his first sorties Kio was criticized by Shanuala in regards to how he was conducting himself during the fight. Then he was also dealt a blow when he found out she was a traitor yet after that nothing came out of it.

That still doesn't explain why his skills have degraded. And again he himself made that decision to continue fighting his own way and if its as bad as you say it is he shouldn't be there in the first place. What did most gundam pilots do when it came down to those things? They simply refused to fight or even get in the damn suit.

ANd he's still pulling the damn trigger which involves him disabling suits, he's simply not looking to kill them so he clearly doesn't have an issue with that part.
How is it irrelevant? All Flint thought Kio was how to point and shoot and he had to find out about the gray morality part of war himself and this is what led him down the path he's on now.

His skills haven't degraded he's just not using them to kill anymore which shows that his perspectives have changed since he started this journey. He is still fighting yes but doing it in a way that minimizes the amount of deaths because after all he's been given a billion dollar war machine and told do with it as he pleases.

So with no one of higher authority stepping in to stop him of course he's of course going to us it the way he wants. I do hope that some time soon he realizes you can't save everyone. If he keeps going blindly down this path he's set it will lead him to his own destruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
We saw nothing of that sort. He met a sick girl and all of a sudden that justifies everything that the Vagans have done in the war? The fact that Ezcelant pointed out he thought Kio was his son doesn't help that either.

We didn't even see a single Vagan who was against the war to begin with or even question why they were fighting in the first place.
True we didn't get much of the Vagan but like Kio we didn't see a bunch of homicidal psychos like he was led to believe they were. He saw in Lu and her brother a poor people living in a desperate situation where you only had two options. Join in the fighting or sit back and die a slow death.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 15:15   Link #29
Raysoul
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Kio can go one on one with Legillis and then you say his skills degraded? And disabling units is much harder than killing one, considering the accuracy you need.

As for Kio being allowed in the battlefield, is because he can fight and pilot a Gundam. How he fights is another question.
__________________
Gundam Age > 00 + Seed Combined
Raysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 02:40   Link #30
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Simple answer he's the main character of the last part of the story so we needs to be involved in the war somehow.
Sure, I can understand that. But in the context of the show actual show, there is no logical reason why a 13 yo is allowed to do any of the things he is doing. Even with Flit there was some resistance to him piloting the AGE-1, and he only did it at first due to Largan being injured. They went out of their way to justify it back then which is why this is so problematic now, since unlike Flit, Kio has parents and a family who should be stepping and stopping him ...

Which leads to the conclusion that the Asuno's are really just a bunch of a-holes in general who don't care about each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
A more complicated answer may be that the Earth Federation is short on man power because of all the fight happening on Earth. Also Flint is pulling most of the strings here so may be he believe Kio will come around.
Aside it from being unlikely (because then that would mean that the Vegans have managed to wipe out at least two thirds of all adult population of the human race, and at that point I doubt anyone would want to see them alive by the end) and downright irredeemable for Flit to continue to force his lone, underage grandson to fight in a war he has no understanding of what to do in, is conflicted and is seriously in danger of throwing his life away, it still does not answer why are they giving one of the most hi-tech MS in the entire Federation to the kid, when a more seasoned pilot could be using it to help win and end the war ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I still wish the series expanded on this a little more.
You and me both. I'd love to know what Romery is thinking while her only son had been trained to become a child soldier who has killed people and now is constantly placed in situations where he is a breath away from death.

Yeah, what a family ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysoul View Post
As for Kio being allowed in the battlefield, is because he can fight and pilot a Gundam. How he fights is another question.
And? A lot of soldiers can fight, it's what they are trained to do. And it's not like you need to be an Asuno to pilot a Gundam in the first place, since Largan was the designated pilot of the AGE-1, Woolf was thinking about doing it, and we have two different pilots of Gundams in the past.

So, why is the 13 yo who has no idea what to do and has resolved to throw his life away in order to not kill allowed on the battlefield?
__________________
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 05:04   Link #31
Raysoul
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Kio's X-rounder power perhaps. Flit first believe that Kio might be the 'saviour' because of his advance x-rounder capabilities.

Again, you're thinking too much as this is not the first the first mecha anime (or Gundam series) with kids being involved in the war. Even the crew at Diva have kids.
__________________
Gundam Age > 00 + Seed Combined
Raysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 18:01   Link #32
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
The kids ended up being given back to their parents though, and only stayed on the Diva due to them not being able to place them somewhere else ... for some reason.

Anyway, your right on one thing. I am giving this show more thought than I should be ...
__________________
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 16:21   Link #33
Scorpiopt
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Cant understand how people say Kio is better than shin character wise , this emo no kill stupidity has to end .
The only thing he saved was zanald's ass , letting is team mates die

They almost killed banagher as a likable character in unicorn on episode 4 with behavior like this
Scorpiopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 17:38   Link #34
Raysoul
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
The kids ended up being given back to their parents though, and only stayed on the Diva due to them not being able to place them somewhere else ... for some reason.

Anyway, your right on one thing. I am giving this show more thought than I should be ...
I am referring to Wendy and that Little fat mechanic.
__________________
Gundam Age > 00 + Seed Combined
Raysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 18:04   Link #35
Aquaman OS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Aside it from being unlikely (because then that would mean that the Vegans have managed to wipe out at least two thirds of all adult population of the human race, and at that point I doubt anyone would want to see them alive by the end) and downright irredeemable for Flit to continue to force his lone, underage grandson to fight in a war he has no understanding of what to do in, is conflicted and is seriously in danger of throwing his life away, it still does not answer why are they giving one of the most hi-tech MS in the entire Federation to the kid, when a more seasoned pilot could be using it to help win and end the war ...
The Age FX was built and tuned for use around Kio's X-Rounder abilities by the Age system. Only he can get the most use out of it. As seasoned as a pilot is, if they don't have the X-Rounder power required they're better off using a regular MS. And since the only other X-Rounder the earth forces seems to have is Flit, and he's weaker X-Rounder wise than Kio is, they've no choice but to let Kio keep using it and hope his half assed fighting will be enough.

Considering how short on X-Rounders the earth forces seems to be, (only 4 ever shown, Flit, Kio, Girard and Reina and the last two are dead) it's unlikely they could find a better match than Kio. And if they can't work the funnels properly than the FX is no powerful than the other units.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 18:30   Link #36
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Kio, why get in the Gundam in the first place? Give it to grandpa and go home... you whiny little *blank.*

Flit thinks Kio is a savior 'cause he's old and Kio inherited his powers... duh. Flit is a more powerful, more experienced X-rounder.

Anyhow, Flit is going to end up saving the day. Flit is the main character of this series... it will start and end with him.

Flit might die...
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 10:38   Link #37
Revolutionist
Puppet Master
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Behind You
Kio is a stronger X-Rounder than Flit, and pretty much everyone else in the show, with perhaps one exception:Ezelcant. For all we know he could even surpass him anyway because his potential is immense according to Flit.
__________________
I cannot give you back your homes, or restore your dead to life, but perhaps I can give you justice, in the name of our King. ~ Ned Stark
Revolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 03:32   Link #38
Znozzy
Praise the sun!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 24
If anything, his SSJ powerup with burstmode should proove that his X-Rounder powers are still growing. don't think we've seen anyone pull that much X-Rounder power out in a pure fit of rage, except Girard.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 22:42   Link #39
Raysoul
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
As much as I like AGE, I really feel bad for Kio. Not because he is a "whiny little kid who refuses to kill", but the development for his character on the last episodes isn't right or enough.

Even if he will be the star on the last episode, I think Kio needs a new generation to develop his character further, which won't happen (for now hopefully). I don't care if he still refuses to kill, but at least put what he says on action.
__________________
Gundam Age > 00 + Seed Combined
Raysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 18:15   Link #40
Rickketik
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysoul View Post
As much as I like AGE, I really feel bad for Kio. Not because he is a "whiny little kid who refuses to kill", but the development for his character on the last episodes isn't right or enough.
Shi.. I mean Kio got nerfed!
Rickketik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.