AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 09
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 112 60.87%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 44 23.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 13 7.07%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 3.80%
6 out of 10 : Average... 4 2.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.54%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.09%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-06, 12:24   Link #621
samho
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
It was explained previously in this thread.
It dropped some items which Kirito sold to Egil to share the Col with Asuna and maybe someone else.
Basically shitty drop without things like first boss epic cape, which is sad because imo last hit rewards should be something really special. There is only floor 100 bosses in this game you would expect that each and every gives some unique item that every player would wish to have, that is if they got last hit reward.

While the show doesn't tell, the last-attack bonus item from lv 74 boss is not necessary bad after all.


1) The item might be great for someone else but not for Kirito / Asuna's character setup (this is true for most if not all MMORPG, such as drop a tradeable tank item for a caster character, and in SAO you are not going to reroll another character just for the benefit of those shinny drop )

2) The cape at floor one isn't that epic. I'm not saying it's not good at all, but it's safe to assume that Kitiro keep wearing it (and any other black / upgraded cape) for displaying: "I'm THE beater".

3) It's my belief that this series isn't really loot oriented, so we don't really need to know the whole character gear setup ( ) before enjoy it. Knowing those important characters with their signature items ( i.e. Kirito with his black cape and twin blades, Asuna with her rapier and KoB uniform, Kelin with his Katana and Samurai style armor, and so on) is more than enough IMO.


It also worth pointing out that since Kirito and Asuna did have a conversation about loot drama back to episode 6, he may want to make the loot distributing easier (just sell them all and split the cash).
samho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 12:30   Link #622
Karakuri
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portugal
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Karakuri
Quote:
Originally Posted by samho View Post
While the show doesn't tell, the last-attack bonus item from lv 74 boss is not necessary bad after all.


1) The item might be great for someone else but not for Kirito / Asuna's character setup (this is true for most if not all MMORPG, such as drop a tradeable tank item for a caster character, and in SAO you are not going to reroll another character just for the benefit of those shinny drop )

2) The cape at floor one isn't that epic. I'm not saying it's not good at all, but it's safe to assume that Kitiro keep wearing it (and any other black / upgraded cape) for displaying: "I'm THE beater".

3) It's my belief that this series isn't really loot oriented, so we don't really need to know the whole character gear setup ( ) before enjoy it. Knowing those important characters with their signature items ( i.e. Kirito with his black cape and twin blades, Asuna with her rapier and KoB uniform, Kelin with his Katana and Samurai style armor, and so on) is more than enough IMO.


It also worth pointing out that since Kirito and Asuna did have a conversation about loot drama back to episode 6, he may want to make the loot distributing easier (just sell them all and split the cash).
I agree with nearly everything you said.
The only thing I " disagree " is that Kirito would've been wearing the Black Coat/Cape just to say " I'm the beater ".
I think he prefers black clothes, I mean, no one else cares about Beta Testers at this point ( The only reason he wished to become a " Beater " is because he wanted to be the only one dealing with the hate towards the Beta Testers ). Why would he wear only black clothes? I mean, the Coat/Cape and his Nickname is already enough to show them he's the Beater ( Sure there are people like Kuradeel who don't know that, but hey...Kuradeel ain't that really that smart anyways, lol )
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 13:39   Link #623
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
Kirito is in the ironic position of being well-known to the upper tier players, and relatively unknown to the lower tiers
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 14:52   Link #624
Rakshasa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 下北沢、東京
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Kirito is in the ironic position of being well-known to the upper tier players, and relatively unknown to the lower tiers
Also he walks around in equipment that looks very unimpressive, which probably makes a lot of people underestimate him.

But yeah, his life is gonna change a bit next episode it seems.
__________________
libTorrent - A BitTorrent library and ncurses client for *nix.
Rakshasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 15:09   Link #625
chaos_alfa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
Also he walks around in equipment that looks very unimpressive, which probably makes a lot of people underestimate him.

But yeah, his life is gonna change a bit next episode it seems.
Only if he loses I presume.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 16:36   Link #626
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
Only if he loses I presume.
Well, if he wins then the biggest change was what already happened in this episode -- many people all over the game will know who he is now, plus he'd be continuing to party with Asuna for an undetermined period of time. But if he loses (and he follows his promise), he'd end up joining the guild, so his life would change in a different way.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 16:39   Link #627
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
Only if he loses I presume.
If he wins, he'll be known as the player who beat the leader of KoB, the strongest guild in Aincrad.
__________________
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 20:47   Link #628
Shimapan
Try me! <3
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
1 - If Heathcliff decided to ask him for a duel, of course he must be very powerful. You shouldn't think just because someone is " OP " ( I don't really think so, since you can block his attacks, and he can't defend himself once he started his skill....but ) it doesn't mean he's the Oh-So-Mighty-Lord-Who-Won't-Die/Lose.

He had an advantage of 25% HP or so, agaisn't the Boss. It's a great ammount of advantage, he didn't solo it entirely, and if he did, he would've lost.
Not much of a difference between soloing the boss for three quarters, as he did, and soling the boss entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
2 - Kirito isn't / wasn't slacking off. The higher your level is, the harder it becomes to level up. That's how it goes, in every single game.
Of course it becomes harder to lavel up later on, but the difference is just way too huge.
Compare 70-somewhat levels in the first year to a measly 7 levels in the last six months, barely 10 %. That's ludicrous. If he had been at level 50 after the first year and then level 75 after the second year, that would've been believable, but the present difference is way too huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
3 - The writer knows what he's doing
Now that was a really good one XD
Major parts of the story obviously aren't planned at all, but rather the plot is stumbling along and reeks awfully of "Make up stuff as I go". Characters, items, skills etc. generally get introduced whenever it's convenient for the plot, and are quickly forgotten again once they've outlived their usefulness. Or do you really expect we'll ever hear again e.g. of the flower that resurrects pets, about which Kirino just conveniently happened to know just when he needed it for Silica's pet? Heck, I even doubt we'll ever hear again of Silica (bit of a shame, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
don't judge before you've seen everything - Don't judge a book by its cover.
Actually, I'm judging it by its contents - my judgement would've been far better, had I only judged about the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
He's been doing an incredible work so far.
Edward D. Wood, Jr. also did an incredible work when he wrote Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Hmm... Kirito wins and he's overpowered... Kirito loses and the author is horribad.

Tough choices there.
Quite the opposite - having Kirino lose would be the only way for the author to show that he *isn't* "horribad".
While breaking continuity with how easily Kirito defeated the boss before, it would show that the author had learned from his previuos mistake that you shouldn't make a character too overpowered, because otherwise all battles are just plain boring.
Having Kirito lose would make things at least interesting, instead of having some dull fight where Kirito wins easily once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
In the Light Novel, this scene was just like this ( IIRC ), why would they change one of the most important scenes ?
Because Kirito soloing the boss (at least by three quarters) is just plain retarded, making him look way too overpowered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
The author normally says if it can or can not be changed from the book into the anime, so obviously he would let it stay the same way...
Authors have much less of a say than you think about what gets changed and what not, when an anime is created.
They very well could (and should) have changed this boss battle into something that would've made more sense. Fixing obvious and major flaws in the source material is what every good director should do, rather than adapting them unthinkingly.
__________________
Shimapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 21:01   Link #629
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
In the Light Novel, this scene was just like this ( IIRC ), why would they change one of the most important scenes ?
The author normally says if it can or can not be changed from the book into the anime, so obviously he would let it stay the same way...
Except that no, authors rarely have anything to say to the studio. Generally speaking, Studio handle the rights and royalties with the author's editor/publisher, and discuss with the author for guidance and few points, but that's that.
It is extremely rare for authors to be personally involved in LN/manga/VN adaptations, and even moreso to have a strong position in there (it is a business after all, so they have little to nothing to do there, unless they are invited to do so). That's why adaptations nowadays are often sloppy. Past the medium requiring cuts to adapt the storytelling and story length for the anime format, it isn't rare for scripters and directors to take -drastic- liberties left and right, much to authors' dismay (obvious examples such like Akamatsu's Negima franchise).
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 21:12   Link #630
itoastmysocks
Rabbit Flavored Socks YUM
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vienna/Austria
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Hmm... Kirito wins and he's overpowered... Kirito loses and the author is horribad.

Tough choices there.
Somehow this reminded me of something you will see in every mmo board ever so often and could basically summed up with:

Quote:
Rock is fine
Nerf Scissors

-signed Paper

I really wish we had all the stats of gear and bosses and their mechanics to look at, actually since I am thinking the anime is based more on asian mmo's than western mmos I'd say soloing a boss isn't that unheard of.. I remember I could solo pretty much any BAM (that's short for Big Ass Mob, well actually Big Area Mob, but seriously.. everyone is using the first xD ) or dungeon boss in TERA aslong as it did not have an enrage timer (coincidentally with my dualwield swords warrior xD )
itoastmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 21:39   Link #631
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
Skyrim's dargon encounters are essentially boss fights that you can solo, though it's possible to make insanely OP gear - I have suceeded in making a bow that will one shot normal dragons, and when I finally went up against Alduin he was down in two hits. With a Fus Ro Dah for good measure.

That said regards SAO, from what I've read in interviews the author is working closely with the animation team on this series.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 21:59   Link #632
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Not much of a difference between soloing the boss for three quarters, as he did, and soling the boss entirely.



Of course it becomes harder to lavel up later on, but the difference is just way too huge.
Compare 70-somewhat levels in the first year to a measly 7 levels in the last six months, barely 10 %. That's ludicrous. If he had been at level 50 after the first year and then level 75 after the second year, that would've been believable, but the present difference is way too huge.
This is the comment that someone would make, who has never played an MMO with high level caps. Please. Just stop.
__________________
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 21:59   Link #633
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Quite the opposite - having Kirino lose would be the only way for the author to show that he *isn't* "horribad".
While breaking continuity with how easily Kirito defeated the boss before, it would show that the author had learned from his previuos mistake that you shouldn't make a character too overpowered, because otherwise all battles are just plain boring.
Having Kirito lose would make things at least interesting, instead of having some dull fight where Kirito wins easily once again.
Even though I too expressed some surprise at this element, I think you may be overstating it a little bit. If that happens, I don't think it would be "learning from his previous mistake" because that implies that it wasn't planned this way all along. His partying with Asuna, Asuna being stressed out by what's happening in the guild, his previous duel with Kuradeel, his unexpected victory in the boss battle (revealing his up-till-now secret, but foreshadowed skill), and his impending duel with Heathcliff are all intrinsicly linked. If the story does end up going such that he gets defeated in the duel, then it means that he was being brought up in order to be torn back down -- that the entire sequence of events (starting with Episode 8, and even earlier) was designed to transition Kirito from a solo player to a guild member, while drawing attention to the fact that he had this balance-altering special power. Yes, I'm sure they could have done the whole thing in a different way that would have omitted the special power element, but it was properly foreshadowed, and it's safe to assume that this has some sort of relevance going forward too.

In the end, it's easy to call things flaws and claim that the anime writers had some sort of responsibility to fix it, but who knows what the impact of such a change would be? Even if you don't like the way certain elements played out, I think we can only fully judge the suitability of the elements once we understand the whole story. Claiming that they should have altered the events is like "changing the past to change the future" -- we can't know yet what impact a modification will have on how things turn out.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 22:00   Link #634
Karakuri
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portugal
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Karakuri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Not much of a difference between soloing the boss for three quarters, as he did, and soling the boss entirely.



Of course it becomes harder to lavel up later on, but the difference is just way too huge.
Compare 70-somewhat levels in the first year to a measly 7 levels in the last six months, barely 10 %. That's ludicrous. If he had been at level 50 after the first year and then level 75 after the second year, that would've been believable, but the present difference is way too huge.



Now that was a really good one XD
Major parts of the story obviously aren't planned at all, but rather the plot is stumbling along and reeks awfully of "Make up stuff as I go". Characters, items, skills etc. generally get introduced whenever it's convenient for the plot, and are quickly forgotten again once they've outlived their usefulness. Or do you really expect we'll ever hear again e.g. of the flower that resurrects pets, about which Kirino just conveniently happened to know just when he needed it for Silica's pet? Heck, I even doubt we'll ever hear again of Silica (bit of a shame, though).



Actually, I'm judging it by its contents - my judgement would've been far better, had I only judged about the cover.



Edward D. Wood, Jr. also did an incredible work when he wrote Plan 9 from Outer Space.



Quite the opposite - having Kirino lose would be the only way for the author to show that he *isn't* "horribad".
While breaking continuity with how easily Kirito defeated the boss before, it would show that the author had learned from his previuos mistake that you shouldn't make a character too overpowered, because otherwise all battles are just plain boring.
Having Kirito lose would make things at least interesting, instead of having some dull fight where Kirito wins easily once again.



Because Kirito soloing the boss (at least by three quarters) is just plain retarded, making him look way too overpowered.



Authors have much less of a say than you think about what gets changed and what not, when an anime is created.
They very well could (and should) have changed this boss battle into something that would've made more sense. Fixing obvious and major flaws in the source material is what every good director should do, rather than adapting them unthinkingly.
For starters - Holy damn, I saw an update in here, came to check...many things were directed to me O.o I feel flattered.

1 - Sorry, the difference is huge. Unless you haven't played an MMO/MMORPG, I can let that one pass. 25% is huge, and I think everyone should think the same way. I mean, come on 25% is 1/4...Even in exams, if a right answer gives you 25% it's a big advantage, just think for a bit...

2 - I'm quite sure that in every game, that isn't what you're saying. Everytime your lvl goes up, you need more exp. At high levels it sometimes start even being the double of your last level experience. This is probably the case. If you don't think like that, go play an MMO and try to get to lvl 90 in less than 3 years. ( If it has a cap of like, 100 or so, since this " world " has 100 floors, the cap should be lvl 100. ) - Had to edit this, since I forgot. -> 3 years without using " double experience " items or so, which you can normally buy with " real money ", because I think you can't do that in this game, and probably if you can use sometimes " double experience items ", it's probably pretty rare.

3 - It isn't just as it is convenient, atleast not to me. And yes, probably we will hear about all those characters. You're not going to expect them to keep appearing in every single episode, are you? How would the plot develop then? " Oh my, he is having an adventure with litle Silica, too bad he can't go to the front lines, since she isn't a high level person. " - Too bad Lizbeth already appeared, which shows you're wrong in that part. ( What I mean is, they haven't forgotten about those characters. ) ( That flower, I think they won't mention it anymore, there's no reason to mention it, atleast I can't see any reason. )

4 - By now I already know you can't be pleased easily, I'm not even gonna try to give you some reasoning in here, I already know you're a hater, atleast in this anime. Lol.

5 - " Edward D. Wood, Jr. also did an incredible work when he wrote Plan 9 from Outer Space. " - Seriously? Seriously???? What does this have to do with this? So what if he did an incredible work? Reki Kawahara did an incredible job in here too, if you don't think so, just say it. You don't like the anime? Don't watch, geez I don't know how people can be so difficult...( Have you read the novel? If you did, well, I must tell you, not many people think Reki Kawahara didn't do a good job. ) - If you were being sarcastic, I must tell you, I never heard of him, nor his " Plan 9 from outer Space "

Nothing to say about the other comment you made, since it wasn't directed to me

6 - It doesn't make him really " Over powered ", he nearly dies, with the Boss starting with less HP, cmon man, think a bit, how is someone, who nearly dies, agaisn't someone who has his HP lowered by 25%, defeating with that big advantage, and still nearly dying, being OP? I really can't understand this.

7 - Actually, I had read about this somewhere, I can try to find and show you, in case you think I'm lying. I only read once about this, so yeah, you're probably right. Please, don't kill me for not going as deep as you to know if your information is 100% accurate... - But still, that fight agaisn't the Boss wouldn't be changed by any person who actually thinks. It was made that way, to show his new skills and show how powerful yet dangerous those skills are.
Even then, the author has some " talks " in this one. If he wants to something be made 100% as it was in the manga/LN, either they accept, they try to make a bit diff but not far different, or the show won't go on. Just like..let's say ( I heard this somewhere ) Naruto, the author said he never wanted Naruto's hair to be cut in fights or w.e ( IIRC ). - If I'm wrong about this too, well, sorry. I wasn't trying to act like I know a lot of things about this, since I've never really searched about this, atleast not much. My bad.

But please, just tell me, are you seriously thinking he has been " slacking off "? Have you ever played an MMO game? ( Not being ironic or anything, I really want to know how could you say that if you played MMOs... )

Edit: I was just confused, the Director is the one who says how it is, however, the author does still choose some things, doesn't he?

Last edited by Karakuri; 2012-09-06 at 23:07.
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 23:27   Link #635
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
I'd say Kirito's skill is on the over-powered side, it's the whole point of it being a super-rare-super-secret skill. But on the narrative side, there is nothing wrong with that in-universe. We see this all the time in most action anime.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 23:50   Link #636
Krono
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Not much of a difference between soloing the boss for three quarters, as he did, and soling the boss entirely.
A world of difference actually. The first is barely possible to do, the second gets him killed. Let's be generous and say none of the further hits the boss took damaged it enough to be noteworthy, and it's HP was still at about 75%. We'll also generously say Kirito was at at about 66%. The last blow of Kirito's combo killed the boss, so the combo does about 75% of the boss's health in damage, and Kirito took about 65% of damage to his health in return.

So starting with both at 100%, Kirito uses the same combo. The boss drops to about 25% HP, and Kirito to about 35% HP. At this point, Kirito's locked into a cooldown before he can use other skills. The boss on the other hand, has shown no sign of being stunned by Kirito's combo. It is free to continue it's attack, or use skills of it's own. And we've already seen that just blocking it's basic attack easily drains 34% of Kirito's HP. The boss is pretty much guaranteed a clean hit or two at this point, which will be sufficient to finish off Kirito. Even if we assume there's no cooldown, Kirito has one sword caught by the boss, and one sword embedded in the boss. He's wide open for a finishing blow before he can get into a proper stance to activate another skill.

Quote:
Authors have much less of a say than you think about what gets changed and what not, when an anime is created.
They very well could (and should) have changed this boss battle into something that would've made more sense. Fixing obvious and major flaws in the source material is what every good director should do, rather than adapting them unthinkingly.
The problem with this line of logic, is that you have no idea where Kirito having this skill is going, so it's impossible for you to say this is a major flaw in the source material at this point.

For example, Kirito and Asuna discussed the increase in difficulty in monster AI after floor 70. The boss room for level 74 had an anti-crystal trap that prevented escape, or instant healing. As far as you know, the crazy amounts of level grinding required by Kirito's solo style of play has merely made him the first to unlock one of the final tier skills that will become commonplace and required to survive the exponentially more difficult final 25 floors.

Or it could represent a bug in the system. A skill that was supposed to have been dummied out for balance reasons, but an incomplete job was done leaving Kirito to unlock it. Kayaba's let it be because he's curious to see how it all plays out, and he's over-confident that it ultimately won't matter, and true to cliche, that over-confidence will come back to bite him.

Both these scenarios and more could be thrown out of alignment by removing the dual-wielding reveal, or weaking it's power. You can't call it a major flaw in the source material, until you know what the author actually does with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Except that no, authors rarely have anything to say to the studio. Generally speaking, Studio handle the rights and royalties with the author's editor/publisher, and discuss with the author for guidance and few points, but that's that.
It is extremely rare for authors to be personally involved in LN/manga/VN adaptations, and even moreso to have a strong position in there (it is a business after all, so they have little to nothing to do there, unless they are invited to do so). That's why adaptations nowadays are often sloppy. Past the medium requiring cuts to adapt the storytelling and story length for the anime format, it isn't rare for scripters and directors to take -drastic- liberties left and right, much to authors' dismay (obvious examples such like Akamatsu's Negima franchise).
While it's true that authors are usually uninvolved in the production of anime, and are content to let the studios do whatever they want, my impression is it heavily depends on the studio and the author, rather than being a true industry standard.

Some studios just prefer to do their own thing, and some manga or novel authors are either too busy to provide much input, trust the studio's judgment over their own as to how an anime should be done, or a variety of other reasons for largely leaving things to the studio.

In SAO's case, I'd say that it leans more towards adapting things the way the author wants. Even if he's too busy for general consultation, they're attempting to remain as faithful to the source material as is practical, and probably sat down with the author at some point to figure out what they needed to include and what they could and couldn't cut and/or change.

Case in point, as far as I know, the short story they adapted for episode two hasn't been published by Dengeki, just on the author's website. They'd be unlikely to be adapting it if they hadn't discussed it with the author at some point.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 00:02   Link #637
Kamui04
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
1 - Sorry, the difference is huge. Unless you haven't played an MMO/MMORPG, I can let that one pass. 25% is huge, and I think everyone should think the same way. I mean, come on 25% is 1/4...Even in exams, if a right answer gives you 25% it's a big advantage, just think for a bit...

2 - I'm quite sure that in every game, that isn't what you're saying. Everytime your lvl goes up, you need more exp. At high levels it sometimes start even being the double of your last level experience. This is probably the case. If you don't think like that, go play an MMO and try to get to lvl 90 in less than 3 years. ( If it has a cap of like, 100 or so, since this " world " has 100 floors, the cap should be lvl 100. ) - Had to edit this, since I forgot. -> 3 years without using " double experience " items or so, which you can normally buy with " real money ", because I think you can't do that in this game, and probably if you can use sometimes " double experience items ", it's probably pretty rare.

6 - It doesn't make him really " Over powered ", he nearly dies, with the Boss starting with less HP, cmon man, think a bit, how is someone, who nearly dies, agaisn't someone who has his HP lowered by 25%, defeating with that big advantage, and still nearly dying, being OP? I really can't understand this.


But please, just tell me, are you seriously thinking he has been " slacking off "? Have you ever played an MMO game? ( Not being ironic or anything, I really want to know how could you say that if you played MMOs... )
Just to add some comments for Shimapan. Tthe more he talks the more I'm convinced he has never touched an MMO or even an offline RPG. Like many people said RPGs and MMO Exp requeriments increases each level.

From FFXI which is the MMO I played the most time. On lower levels 1-30 one would gain easily 3-5 levels in a day. Later with the gradual exp/lvl increase one would need to spend a day grinding to get a level and by the time one got up to 60+ where 75 was the cap for many years, one would spend a few days maybe a week to gain a single level. Ragnarok Online which, from what I've read was one of the inspirations for the Author, also followed such a leveling curve. All that before WoW came and every MMO from then on was more focused on pleasing the casual gamer and started giving away free exp just by standing there and breathing or even while offline...

As for the topic of overpowered? Well FFXI had some last resort skills which you'd activate once every two hours (more like two days in game time). Stuff like gaining invincibility for a minute for a paladin. Monks throwing punches non-stop and without delay for a minute. Warriors making every hit a critical hit. Mages casting without interruption, using mana or delay and the sort.
People been know to destroy bosses using combinations of those skills with other buffs. And the exploits of skilled people soloing bosses where normal people would need a group are a plenty in youtube. And you say Kirito was overpowered? He'd would be comparable to those kind of players.

Another guy in another site was complaining about the first episode, that everything was a plothole about the NerveGear and Kayaba's plan. So I commented, the first episode is limited to 20-22 minutes. So what did he expect? That Kayaba himself would break the 4th wall, sit with him and answer all his questions and try to cover the plot holes that he's trying to poke? Calculate how much time did people spend typing some kind of logical explanation as to why the plots is like this or that, or that people need a Willing Suspension Of Disbelief. One time a group of friends gathered to watch an anime, we were halfway into episode one and one guy was getting on my nerves since he wouldn't stop talking, and why are this aliens attacking them? and why did this guy know and could climb on this plane? And how did he know this girl? shouldn't this be a plot hole, and why didn't they explain this or that blah blah blah. I just simply stopped the video and told him, hey buddy we're barely halfway into the first episode out of 26 and you keep asking questions non-stop which most will be eventually answered as you watch it sooner or later. So either sit down and watch or I'm going to summarize the whole plot in 10 minutes and spoil it for you, since it seems it's what you wish with all your questions.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-09-07 at 04:03.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 01:01   Link #638
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Not much of a difference between soloing the boss for three quarters, as he did, and soling the boss entirely.
Even ignoring the fact that 25% of (for example) 1 million is still 250k, I'd like to point out that raid bosses in WoW have been soloed before. (Onyxia comes to mind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Of course it becomes harder to lavel up later on, but the difference is just way too huge.
Compare 70-somewhat levels in the first year to a measly 7 levels in the last six months, barely 10 %. That's ludicrous. If he had been at level 50 after the first year and then level 75 after the second year, that would've been believable, but the present difference is way too huge.
Yyyeah... This comment just shows how little you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Now that was a really good one XD
Major parts of the story obviously aren't planned at all, but rather the plot is stumbling along and reeks awfully of "Make up stuff as I go". Characters, items, skills etc. generally get introduced whenever it's convenient for the plot, and are quickly forgotten again once they've outlived their usefulness. Or do you really expect we'll ever hear again e.g. of the flower that resurrects pets, about which Kirino just conveniently happened to know just when he needed it for Silica's pet? Heck, I even doubt we'll ever hear again of Silica (bit of a shame, though).
And this comment is basically presenting an assumption in the form of a fact, when it really is just an assumption. A rather unfounded assumption, I might add, because there is way more evidence to the contrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Quite the opposite - having Kirino lose would be the only way for the author to show that he *isn't* "horribad".
While breaking continuity with how easily Kirito defeated the boss before, it would show that the author had learned from his previuos mistake that you shouldn't make a character too overpowered, because otherwise all battles are just plain boring.
Having Kirito lose would make things at least interesting, instead of having some dull fight where Kirito wins easily once again.
Or I might be wrong and you just have a really strange idea of "good writing".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Because Kirito soloing the boss (at least by three quarters) is just plain retarded, making him look way too overpowered.
I refer to my first comment about soloing Onyxia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Authors have much less of a say than you think about what gets changed and what not, when an anime is created.
They very well could (and should) have changed this boss battle into something that would've made more sense. Fixing obvious and major flaws in the source material is what every good director should do, rather than adapting them unthinkingly.
Or maybe they just disagree with you that there's a flaw in the first place.


[mod edit: removed unnecessary ad hominem...]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-07 at 01:30.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 01:18   Link #639
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
I agree with the notion that people should work on how to present themselves.

Discussion is held on the basis of respect towards the other party.

This also goes to those reacting. If you act in a similar manner and tone, then it's really only going to add fuel to the fire.
__________________

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-07 at 01:31. Reason: edited to remove direct references to a specific person
erneiz_hyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-07, 01:18   Link #640
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
And this comment is basically presenting an assumption in the form of a fact, when it really is just an assumption. A rather unfounded assumption, I might add, because there is way more evidence to the contrary.
In fairness, since they were published after, it's entirely possible the side-stories were written after the main one was completed.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.