AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 17 28.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 33.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 27.12%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 8.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-03, 22:09   Link #41
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lost in the Fairy Forest
Chitanda look so cute in that kimono to bad it wont last loog enough to see her in the formal kimono one
__________________
Master_Yoma is offline  
Old 2012-09-04, 01:31   Link #42
whitecloud
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
How many episode did hyouka really have anyway...?ann say 24 and tvtrope has picture of broadcasting schedule that imply hyouka for 24 episode..so which one is it 21 or 24?

And by the way..by this season is the novel vol 4 completely finished being animated or there are chapter that are un-animated?
whitecloud is offline  
Old 2012-09-04, 02:02   Link #43
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
If I were Satoshi I would have opened the door, toss in their coats, and close it again

And maybe come back after an hour or so

Still, was it too much to ask for them to huddle together for warmth? I'll bet that's the first fanart we'll see of this episode.
AGREE 1000x

It didn't quite have the same vibes as last episode, but damn all the shots of Oreki looking Chitanda up were killer

That PV at the end... was that Virtual-On?

__________________

On Simple Solutions: "I bought the airline. It seemed neater."
LoweGear is offline  
Old 2012-09-04, 02:56   Link #44
rulfo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
How many episode did hyouka really have anyway...?ann say 24 and tvtrope has picture of broadcasting schedule that imply hyouka for 24 episode..so which one is it 21 or 24?

And by the way..by this season is the novel vol 4 completely finished being animated or there are chapter that are un-animated?
Just saw that post. Now it's 24 episodes?

I can see 2 extras getting broadcasted.

Now this is even more confusing.
rulfo is offline  
Old 2012-09-04, 03:22   Link #45
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
To reiterate, the show will be having 22 episodes in total, which adds up to the BD count (11 BD, 2 episodes each). The final episode is apparently airing as normal as well on the 16th.
__________________
Arabesque is offline  
Old 2012-09-04, 04:02   Link #46
rulfo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
To reiterate, the show will be having 22 episodes in total, which adds up to the BD count (11 BD, 2 episodes each). The final episode is apparently airing as normal as well on the 16th.
I feel that further discussion of this is out of place. I'll bring it up in the general thread.
rulfo is offline  
Old 2012-09-04, 22:08   Link #47
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It does color the bath incident differently. I mean, I'm sure she's attractive naked, too.
I think this episode confirms that Eru is actually quite cunning under that naive exterior of hers, and that goes back to at least the hotsprings episode, and maybe before. I more and more think at least on some level, Eru knew that her ability in even the first episode to get Oreki to indulge her curiosity went beyond exasperation, and involved his physical inability to resist his attraction toward her. Part of her hyper aggressiveness before was just her quirky personality, but it seemed to also be a convenient way for her to get physically close to Oreki with some degree of plausible deniability (which I think she's still too bashful to do without)--ep. 19 was the most spectacular example of that. But the kimono scene showed her relying not so much on masking what she wanted to do with her eccentricities, and on a more straightforward form of flirting. And I think it's clear Oreki is responding well to it. Him carrying things for her was a nice touch.
Aquifina is offline  
Old 2012-09-04, 23:28   Link #48
Hyper
Irregular Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
I think this episode confirms that Eru is actually quite cunning under that naive exterior of hers, and that goes back to at least the hotsprings episode, and maybe before. I more and more think at least on some level, Eru knew that her ability in even the first episode to get Oreki to indulge her curiosity went beyond exasperation, and involved his physical inability to resist his attraction toward her. Part of her hyper aggressiveness before was just her quirky personality, but it seemed to also be a convenient way for her to get physically close to Oreki with some degree of plausible deniability (which I think she's still too bashful to do without)--ep. 19 was the most spectacular example of that. But the kimono scene showed her relying not so much on masking what she wanted to do with her eccentricities, and on a more straightforward form of flirting. And I think it's clear Oreki is responding well to it. Him carrying things for her was a nice touch.
I don't see it that way, to be honest. Remember that she has to ask Irisu how to persuade people and failed using that advice. Her "charm" only works on Houtarou naturally and not because she intended it to be so. I've said that before in the episode thread that I think her comment about the mixed bath was meant to show that she is an old-school type. (Someone mentioned that traditionally, onsen was always mixed until the western culture came in.) That comment was a part of her "high status family's lady," similar to how she is so worry about sparking a rumor while representing her family. It is something that we will comment, like Houtarou, that there's a world we have no idea about. It also add a little bit to her "mysterious" character as well.

I can see why a lot of people see it differently, but I simply see her offer of using her obi as just what it is. She simply try to provide the last option. It's not like she'll be completely naked if her kimomo comes off. It does, however, shows that she trust him enough to rather let him see her wrapped in a loose kimono than letting the rumor spread. Or she just value her family's image more than her dignity. Or both.
Hyper is offline  
Old 2012-09-05, 00:19   Link #49
BlazeHero
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cali
I thought it was interesting that there was no mystery rather a puzzle they were going to solve. Great shipping too, loved the interaction between Oreki and Eru
__________________
BlazeHero is offline  
Old 2012-09-05, 04:30   Link #50
rulfo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Well that was a slow of me. I only noticed up until now that Kaho's VA is the same as Ayase's VA(Oreimo). No wonder she sounds familiar.

On a side note it's too bad Kaho didn't get much screen time in this series. Both her and Irisu are the ones I consider to look really good.
rulfo is offline  
Old 2012-09-05, 06:01   Link #51
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
I don't see it that way, to be honest. Remember that she has to ask Irisu how to persuade people and failed using that advice. Her "charm" only works on Houtarou naturally and not because she intended it to be so. I've said that before in the episode thread that I think her comment about the mixed bath was meant to show that she is an old-school type. (Someone mentioned that traditionally, onsen was always mixed until the western culture came in.) That comment was a part of her "high status family's lady," similar to how she is so worry about sparking a rumor while representing her family. It is something that we will comment, like Houtarou, that there's a world we have no idea about. It also add a little bit to her "mysterious" character as well.
Certainly I believe that her comments and actions are meant innocently. The joke is that if you look at this pattern of behavior through shipping goggles, you can build a remarkable case on circumstantial evidence that she is an S-rank seductress who has Oreki on marionette strings. Contrast that image with her derping her way around the cultural festival and completely failing when she tried to be manipulative on purpose. The comedy becomes evident.

Eru's not doing it on purpose, at least not on any conscious level, but I think that Hyouka as a show is pretty deliberately scattering these little tidbits for shipper consumption.
ThereminVox is offline  
Old 2012-09-05, 06:10   Link #52
Hyper
Irregular Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Certainly I believe that her comments and actions are meant innocently. The joke is that if you look at this pattern of behavior through shipping goggles, you can build a remarkable case on circumstantial evidence that she is an S-rank seductress who has Oreki on marionette strings. Contrast that image with her derping her way around the cultural festival and completely failing when she tried to be manipulative on purpose. The comedy becomes evident.

Eru's not doing it on purpose, at least not on any conscious level, but I think that Hyouka as a show is pretty deliberately scattering these little tidbits for shipper consumption.
Well, my shipping goggles just work a little differently. They need no seducing from one another. They just naturally charmed by the other's true self. That's how I see an OTP.
Hyper is offline  
Old 2012-09-05, 09:25   Link #53
Qilin
Romanticist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 23
Oh god. The ship-teasing is reaching unbearable levels. This is especially painful since we know that it won't be going anywhere.

Other than that, a wonderful episode. This is likely the closest we've gotten to a true slice-of-life series (please bear with me for using the term) in, maybe, a few years. The portrayal of Japanese culture and tradition, particularly that of New Year, in this episode was just excellent. There's just something in shows like these that allow you to appreciate the world around you. All-in-all, I'm glad to see the episode pay attention to the little intricacies in the nature of Japanese society. It really gives you a feel of how far away their world is from ours.

That aside, I also enjoyed it for some golden interactions between Eru and Houtarou.
__________________
Damaged Goods
"There’s an up higher than up, but at the very top, down is all there is."
Qilin is offline  
Old 2012-09-05, 17:50   Link #54
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Well, my shipping goggles just work a little differently. They need no seducing from one another. They just naturally charmed by the other's true self. That's how I see an OTP.
Yeah, I don't there's any sort of overt manipulation going on, but both characters have great chemistry, and it shows, even if they don't realize it themselves. She's just flirting with the boy she likes, and he's responding. That they're not completely aware of what they're doing doesn't mean what they're doing is any less natural.

From what I remember of my own teenage years, there was a lot of awkward obliviousness to the flirting I did, but I still did it, even if I didn't fully realize it.
Aquifina is offline  
Old 2012-09-05, 17:54   Link #55
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anywhere I can draw inspiration from
Age: 32
Man, Chitanda kimono was out of this world! When they got locked in the shed I was hoping that Chitanda and Oreki would chuddle up with each other to keep warm

Only one episode left
__________________
Jmac is offline  
Old 2012-09-05, 17:58   Link #56
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
Yeah, I don't there's any sort of overt manipulation going on, but both characters have great chemistry, and it shows, even if they don't realize it themselves. She's just flirting with the boy she likes, and he's responding. That they're not completely aware of what they're doing doesn't mean what they're doing is any less natural.

From what I remember of my own teenage years, there was a lot of awkward obliviousness to the flirting I did, but I still did it, even if I didn't fully realize it.
A rare appearance from Aquifina. You need to post more mate, I always liked reading your posts back in the day
Dr. Casey is online now  
Old 2012-09-05, 19:21   Link #57
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
A rare appearance from Aquifina. You need to post more mate, I always liked reading your posts back in the day
Thanks for the kind words!

You know what also struck me about this episode, now that I think about it? Chitanda's social graces and polish. When she has to (i.e. when representing her family), she seems more than capable of fulfilling her responsibilities, even though her "normal" personality at school is so different.

I know a lot of people were negative on her character starting out, since she seemed to be there just to be cute and zany (I honestly would have been fine with that), but I'm impressed how the writers have fleshed out her character considerably. For me, the writers started to show more explicitly that she had real smarts during the film arc, when she played such a crucial role in figuring out the real story behind the movie script. Chitanda is clearly not some autistic savant who has a photographic memory but can't analyze the raw data in a coherent fashion. And in ep. 19, she really does help Oreki out with her questions and criticism when they're figuring out the counterfeiting case.

Last edited by Aquifina; 2012-09-05 at 19:40.
Aquifina is offline  
Old 2012-09-06, 16:37   Link #58
Pen3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
It would be nice if they gave Kaho more development and screen time. She gives off a unique elegant vibe and comes from the same society as Erisu and Eru minus being manipulative or ditsy moeblob. What makes her unique is how she can tease or you could take it as flirting. Maybe she hides a mischief personality that you couldn't tell just by looking. Satoshi did state that Kaho "is too much for him to handle" and she made Oreki show a face reaction we haven't seen him do before. I think i rewatched that scene over a few times lol

Also she is a Meganekko and looks cute as a Miko XD

Last edited by Pen3; 2012-09-06 at 16:47. Reason: Excuse my grammar i am typing with my phone.
Pen3 is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 03:08   Link #59
Gohan78
Awakened One
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northern Italy
^
Kaho-san already caught my eye during the Kanya Festival as a cute fortune-teller but seeing her in her full miko attire was delightful!

It must be said that KyoAni has a great talent for drawing pretty girls. Even the mob characters during the Kanya Festival arc were such cuties!
__________________
Tibi, magnum Innominandum,
signa stellarum nigrarum
et bufaniformis Sadoquae sigilim.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 04:07   Link #60
alarmadadna hadi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: With the runaways
I found it curious how Kaho asked about Satoshi by name but couldn't remember Mayaka's easily, too bad I don't think we'll be given more details on how they are related.

Quote:
You know what also struck me about this episode, now that I think about it? Chitanda's social graces and polish. When she has to (i.e. when representing her family), she seems more than capable of fulfilling her responsibilities, even though her "normal" personality at school is so different.
This is an aspect I really enjoy in this show, the way the characters behave changes clearly and considerably depending on who they interact with, just like that they gain 3D quality.
__________________
Saku to Purgatory Mountain visual novel'd
http://www.mediafire.com/?j2ht2956l31e288
alarmadadna hadi is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.