AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-06, 22:19   Link #221
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
You are the voice of the GOP in these forums, and if I know why you want Obama to lose then I will be closer to understand the rest of the GOP voters.
Actually, no he's not. There are a few other posters who speak for whats left of the sane part of the GOP, several of whom can put coherent thoughts together and not sound like the idiot peasant lackey of the king who believes the lie that he's part of the court while they dump offal on hiim.

I can have useful conversations with them. In this case, we're just getting a poster child example of why the GOP is careening off a cliff.

And yeah, I was disappointed in Obama's speech, but mostly because it was very mild in comparison with Elizabeth Warren, Bill Clinton, or Joe Biden. Warren nailed the corruption (that is ruining both parties), Clinton gave the informative lecture on basic arithmetic, Biden went for the heartstrings ... Obama just seemed muted compared with some of his past speeches. OTOH, he was on point with his bullet items, detailing the specifics of why the GOP has become toxic for America, bad for the community, bad for small business, and bad for the world.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-09-06, 22:57   Link #222
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
I'm disappointed in both of them.

And while I know he's not going to win, I'm not wasting my vote on either Obaminey or Mittrack.

My vote is going to the only choice I think I have in this election.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline  
Old 2012-09-06, 23:35   Link #223
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually, no he's not. There are a few other posters who speak for whats left of the sane part of the GOP, several of whom can put coherent thoughts together and not sound like the idiot peasant lackey of the king who believes the lie that he's part of the court while they dump offal on hiim.

I can have useful conversations with them. In this case, we're just getting a poster child example of why the GOP is careening off a cliff.

And yeah, I was disappointed in Obama's speech, but mostly because it was very mild in comparison with Elizabeth Warren, Bill Clinton, or Joe Biden.
Well, after what we got from the three of them, it's not too surprising Obama's speech didn't quite top theirs. Especially next to Clinton, who is essentially the master politician, no matter what else you may think of him.
Xagzan is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 00:26   Link #224
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I'm disappointed in both of them.

And while I know he's not going to win, I'm not wasting my vote on either Obaminey or Mittrack.

My vote is going to the only choice I think I have in this election.
Another Johnson fan has sprung from the woodwork. Good times.

That being said, the DNC put on a great convention. Strong on message, beautifully presented (from the organically shaped podium to the free flowing colours and tones and of course strong use of technology), and some great speeches and orators. The is one of the best presented conventions I have seen in years, at least since 2004, probably even longer (the 1984 RNC convention was quite good).

Last edited by james0246; 2012-09-07 at 01:20. Reason: wrong convention...
james0246 is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 04:27   Link #225
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
New York Times has a fact check on the Obama and Biden speeches. They really didn't make too much stuff up in comparison to the "behind the looking glass" upside-down nonsense spewed out by the GOP last week. However, there were a number of items the NYT do call out.

Speeches are about persuasion after all.... but I don't think anyone beat Clinton on the deluge of facts he presented.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/us...-speeches.html
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 06:05   Link #226
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Call this a gut feeling, but what truly frightens me is how there is an insidious radicalization on the Democrat side and among “liberals“ in general. The desperate movements of the new GOP seems to have had the paradox effect of making the other side feel ever more rightous, to the point of being able to brush aside opposite views with accusations of fascism and racism, while ignoring diversity of view.

In a way even the insane current GOP is right: the US is now in a hard-core split between the conservatives and the liberals. The fantasy pictures of the Constitution being trampled upon by Obama (as representing the Democrats) does have a lining of truth to it.
Sumeragi is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 06:11   Link #227
Netto Azure
→ Asada Shino
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space Battle Cruiser Gurokken
Not really sure about "Radicalization" of the Democrats. Considering most "Liberals" in the US could be considered Center-Right in some European political spectrums.
__________________
Netto Azure is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 06:14   Link #228
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Radicalization as in the hardening of views. I find that all sides are becoming far less tolerant than even four years ago, never mind twelve.
Sumeragi is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 06:33   Link #229
Netto Azure
→ Asada Shino
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space Battle Cruiser Gurokken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Radicalization as in the hardening of views. I find that all sides are becoming far less tolerant than even four years ago, never mind twelve.
Ah as was mentioned a while back, the ideological realignment of both parties has been in progress for decades. It's just that today that realignment is mostly in place. For all the talk of both parties being similar, if people look closely there is a huge difference in beliefs and priorities.

As for not being tolerant...I seriously think the President bent over backwards to negotiate in good faith with the Republicans to find some middle ground. Heck some even argue that Democrats are spineless wimps who bow to Republican demands.

But as for the rhetoric that probably nauseates you...it's something of a vicious cycle. If one starts by completely rejecting anything the other side proposes, the other side just feels that it's useless to negotiate and the whole thing just becomes a war of attrition.
__________________
Netto Azure is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 06:49   Link #230
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Radicalization as in the hardening of views. I find that all sides are becoming far less tolerant than even four years ago, never mind twelve.
When one side is so adamantly against/for something that is detrimental to human beings as a whole, to the point that waffling on the issue at all is tantamount to agreeing with them (since, after all, it wouldn't stop them), then you're naturally going to have people harden their views.

When one side just plugs their ears and goes, "Lalalala I can't hear you", and instead of doing any level of true debating just spits out talking points full of lies, of course the other side is going to become less tolerant of their bullshit.

This isn't radicalization, this is adapting to the climate being forced upon the system by the real radicals.
GDB is online now  
Old 2012-09-07, 07:17   Link #231
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
When such “adaption” means bashing almost all seemingly conservative views, there is something wrong. It's a trend I've been noticing: People are now becoming more intolerant of any opposige view, and they think it's solely a reaction to the GOP. It's gone further than reaction into action.
Sumeragi is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 07:56   Link #232
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
I haven't seen any more bashing of "all" conservative views any moreso than there's been for the last few decades. I see bashing of ridiculous GOP views that are detrimental to society and humans as a whole, but if you can give me a valid reason for infringing on human rights I'm more than welcome to hearing it.
GDB is online now  
Old 2012-09-07, 08:27   Link #233
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Call this a gut feeling, but what truly frightens me is how there is an insidious radicalization on the Democrat side and among “liberals“ in general. The desperate movements of the new GOP seems to have had the paradox effect of making the other side feel ever more rightous, to the point of being able to brush aside opposite views with accusations of fascism and racism, while ignoring diversity of view.

In a way even the insane current GOP is right: the US is now in a hard-core split between the conservatives and the liberals. The fantasy pictures of the Constitution being trampled upon by Obama (as representing the Democrats) does have a lining of truth to it.
Dems being radical? What are you talking about, Obama is practically a Republican.

To claim the American Democrats as radicals would require the rest of the Western world be labelled as the Soviet Union.

No, seriously. Which part of the Democratic platform is Far-Left?
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now  
Old 2012-09-07, 08:34   Link #234
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Read the following posts after that particular post.
Sumeragi is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 09:51   Link #235
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
We did, you're simply not making sense or you need to explain your self better. When one person in the room is bashing everyone else with a bat and they respond to that, they aren't "radicalizing their views" towards that batty person. Its a misuse of the language.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 09:53   Link #236
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Read the following posts after that particular post.
Once again, I fail to see how Dems have hardened. They have become Republicans of old; doesn't that mean the exact opposite from hardening? Dems became like their old enemies while their enemies went insane.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now  
Old 2012-09-07, 09:54   Link #237
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
I've heard that this kind of thing went on a lot in Germany during the Weimar Republic.
DonQuigleone is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 10:28   Link #238
monsta666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London, England
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I've heard that this kind of thing went on a lot in Germany during the Weimar Republic.
Let us then hope the US does not meet a similar fate to the Weimar Republic... And should that fate transpire then let us hope even more that the US would not react in a similar manner to the German people.
monsta666 is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 10:31   Link #239
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42° 10' N (Latitude) 87° 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta666 View Post
Let us then hope the US does not meet a similar fate to the Weimar Republic... And should that fate transpire then let us hope even more that the US would not react in a similar manner to the German people.
I would say... the US would actually fracture among the different states/regions, should something like that happen.
Kyuu is offline  
Old 2012-09-07, 10:37   Link #240
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
These sort of obstructive tactics are signs of a dysfunctional democratic system. If things continue along that path, it doesn't bode well.
DonQuigleone is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.