AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 10
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 114 53.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 48 22.54%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 25 11.74%
7 out of 10 : Good... 10 4.69%
6 out of 10 : Average... 7 3.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 1.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.47%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 4 1.88%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-09, 00:29   Link #181
Znail
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Power does tend to attract people other then the nicest of guys...
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 00:32   Link #182
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Also that scene with Asuna stripping to her undergarments. I must admit it was pretty cute... until she went full out tsundere mode on Kirito because he acted like an idiot in that scene. Talk about mega cliche . Oh well, it's implied the two got laid so I guess that's a +1 lawl.
I'm willing to overlook it since they changed the order of events in a rather significant way:

Cliched Tsundere Scenario 1A

1) Guy says something that can be interpreted as pervy.

2) Girl goes into tsun-tsun mode.

3) Guy explains he didn't mean it that way.

SAO Tsundere Scenario

1) Guy says something that can be interpreted as pervy.

2) Girl accepts the offer and begins stripping.

3) Guy explains he didn't mean it that way.

4) Girl goes into tsun-tsun mode.

Between Asuna and Inaba (and Urabe last season) it's nice to see anime acknowledge that girls can have sexual desires that they're willing to act upon without being deranged yanderes.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 00:40   Link #183
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Apologies if someone has covered this, but did anyone else find it out of character that Kirito has just killed a man for the first time, and instead of shock and remorse he has an "I'm going to Disney World!!" moment and kisses his girlfriend? It's not that Kuradeel wasn't a terrible person (and a terrible Scooby Doo caliber villain, too) but the point is, Kirito isn't a terrible person - shouldn't he feel great distresss about what just happened?
Yeah, I found it a bit odd too. But I wonder if this is intentionally designed to highlight a difference between Asuna and Kirito - She's more conventional hero and he's more anti-hero. If you couple this with last episode (Asuna being the one to rush into battle to save others first, Kirito only snapping out of it once Asuna is involved), I think that the anime is presenting Asuna as the conventional real hero, and Kirito as a more badass anti-hero.


Also, I think that a mitigating factor here is how Kuradeel's pleas for mercy were clearly just a front to do a sneak attack at Asuna. That made Kuradeel seem a bit more beyond redemption, and also a bit more of a serious threat. If Kuradeel's pleas for mercy were sincere then I think Asuna and Kirito would have spared him and just sent him to SAO's version of jail.


All of the above being said, I think that most people would be shaken up after killing a man, even if it was in completely legitimate self-defense. That's a big part of the reason why I would have preferred it if the romance bit was saved for its own episode, because it's kind of jarring to go from Kirito killing in self-defense right into happy romance, sex, and even matrimony.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 00:40   Link #184
noobita
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
I used to laugh and make fun of Asuna's stalking character, but I never imagined that Asuna's stalking personality actually saved Kirito in this episode. I am surprised.

and Kirito, he is just too kind. He should says something like," Just die, rubbbish" when Kuradeel accusing him as "murderer".
__________________
noobita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 00:44   Link #185
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
I used to laugh and make fun of Asuna's stalking character, but I never imagined that Asuna's stalking personality actually saved Kirito in this episode. I am surprised.

and Kirito, he is just too kind. He should says something like," Just die, rubbbish" when Kuradeel accusing him as "murderer".
...saying... OK would have been better....

*imagine Kuradeel's reaction..

But, yeah, that's Kirito..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 00:55   Link #186
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Well, I like how Asuna was the one to save Kirito this time instead of the other way around. I'm not that much of a Kirito/Asuna shipper, since due to these timeskips there isn't actually much to see about how they actually fell in love (honestly, they seem to just fall in love on the get-go without any elaboration on it), and this episode was really a bit too rushed on that fact, but ah well.

Hehe Kirito regrowing his arm
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 00:59   Link #187
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
All in all I'm quite happy with this ep. Sure, not everything got adapted, but all in all it's a good effort, and we all knew it wasn't going to be perfect.

But it's very well done.

As for Asuna using her unarmed skill on Kirito, think about it. The last few days, it seems like everything is going wrong for her. Kuradeel puts her into an uncomfortable position with Kirito, then acts all stalkery and creepy - resulting in Kirito bailing her out, Asuna is facing significant stress as 2IC of KoB and manager of the boss strategy meetings and doesn't seem to have too many friends, she wants to take time off and that's thwarted, she nearly died against the Gleameyes and feels Kirito nearly died because of her, and now when she wants to take time off Heathcliff wants to duel Kirito.

And then at the end of all this Kuradeel tries to PK Kirito. She feels tremendous guilt for that - notice at the end of that scene how she reaches for Kirito's hand, draws away, and tells him that she'll leave him alone.

Give the poor girl a fucking break. She's had an awful week. She's distraught. She's upset. She had a plan of how she was going to get closer to Kirito and take some time off and recharge and relax. She was so happy. And now her entire plan has crumbled into dust. Her pride and feelings are hurt, and Kirito has been almost killed, because of her. And wrapping the tattered remnats of her dignity around herself, she tries to tell Kirito she won't bother him...

And then he kisses her. He holds her close. Promises to never let go. Pledges his life to her. And her heart is filled with hope. She feels a bittersweet happiness. That quiet love that she's held inside her fills heart to the brim, overflowing and infusing her self. When he makes that little request she's scared and happy at the same time, because something that she fantasized about is going to happen....

...and then that dumbass she came to love mentions that she misunderstood his intentions, after she made a romantic dinner and made her intentions clear.

She didn't really intend for that punch, but it sorta happened, and all the stress and tension she's been under fuels that punch. Thankfully the player protection code presumably still works, as they were able to continue, even if the mood was ruined.

(Not really a fan of tsundere heroines who always hit guys, but I have to admit, thw two times Asuna has hit Kirito he did deserve it.)

Pre-emptive note: Surprisingly, nothing I've said here is actually from the light novels, but drawn intirely from anime and my own inferences, as Vol. 1 doesn't touch on Asuna's POV.

That said, an amusing little detail from the LN that got left out from the post-Kuradeel resolution:

Spoiler for Light novel tidbit:


XD XD XD
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 01:04   Link #188
GundamZZ
残念美人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Kirito and Asuna shows how surprising the shy people can do. Kirito says that he wants to stay with Asuna for one night. It gives Asuna a wrong impression. It shows Kirito's mental age is still in elementary school. Doesn't he feel nervous when he is in same room with a girl. Again, had sleepover party with Sachi, and he didn't do anything to her. Then again, Sachi probably curses him for such a stupid virgi. Scratch that, maybe Sachi only thinks Kirito as a friend. To show the affection, Kirito need the girl to take the initiative.

When Kirito expressing near death experience, the first person flashes into his mind is Sachi, Then, Asuna flashes into his mind twice. Surprising, it's not his "younger sister". It seems Kirito is very concerned about her.

Kirito's state of mind is probably something as
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
流麗のヒステリア Hysteria of flowing beautifully
三つ腕のリヒティ Lichty of three arms
重剣のクロエ Chloe of giant sword
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 01:05   Link #189
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post

(Not really a fan of tsundere heroines who always hit guys, but I have to admit, thw two times Asuna has hit Kirito he did deserve it.)
He deserved to get hit because he had a bit of cold feet about sex? Seriously?

Look, the punch was indeed a bad mega-cliche as Pocari Sweat pointed out. It can be dismissed (it was one of the nitpicks I never bothered to mention until now), but it's not something that should be actively defended, imo.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 01:05   Link #190
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Spoiler for Light novel tidbit:


XD XD XD
If Asuna said that on the spot... Kirito would have cried...

And say.. marry me now!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 01:09   Link #191
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
I thought her decking him was hilarious, really. I'm okay with that. Realistically your first sexual encounter isn't going to go perfect, so why should his?
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 01:15   Link #192
Znail
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I'm willing to overlook it since they changed the order of events in a rather significant way:

Cliched Tsundere Scenario 1A

1) Guy says something that can be interpreted as pervy.

2) Girl goes into tsun-tsun mode.

3) Guy explains he didn't mean it that way.

SAO Tsundere Scenario

1) Guy says something that can be interpreted as pervy.

2) Girl accepts the offer and begins stripping.

3) Guy explains he didn't mean it that way.

4) Girl goes into tsun-tsun mode.

Between Asuna and Inaba (and Urabe last season) it's nice to see anime acknowledge that girls can have sexual desires that they're willing to act upon without being deranged yanderes.
I wouldn't consider that Tsundere really as she actually had a pretty valid reason to be upset, but I guess that was your point as well. The clasic Tsundere uses abuse to hide their true feelings, but Asuna got violent as she was actually angry.

Spoiler for Kirito did have a good excuse that calmed Asuna down; comparison to the novel for the current content:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-09 at 01:35. Reason: improved spoiler tag
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 01:17   Link #193
Netto Azure
→ Asada Shino
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Great Void, Jötunheimr
Ah a lot of stuff happening in this episode. So many touching scenes. :3
__________________
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 01:19   Link #194
shakeofinfinity
Learning the Guitar
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the depths of hell SATSUGAING with krauser
Age: 24
After watching this, many mentioned chapter 16, and i went to read it, it was so cute and awesome.
Those who havent, should go and read.
__________________
sdfsfdsfdsfsdfdsfdfdfdsdsdsdsdsdsddddddddddddddddd ddddddfds
shakeofinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 01:19   Link #195
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
Spoiler for Kirito did have a good excuse that calmed Asuna down; comparison to the novel for the current content:
Spoiler for Addition to the spoiler, comparison to the novel:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-09 at 01:36. Reason: improved spoiler tags
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 01:22   Link #196
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
He deserved to get hit because he had a bit of cold feet about sex? Seriously?

Look, the punch was indeed a bad mega-cliche as Pocari Sweat pointed out. It can be dismissed (it was one of the nitpicks I never bothered to mention until now), but it's not something that should be actively defended, imo.
No, he got punched for sending the wrong signals. He didn't get cold feet about sex, he was leading Asuna on (albeit unintentionally, but that's what it feels like to her) by saying something suggestive and not considering the implications. She's mortified and embarrassed, especially after she made that romantic dinner and drew up her courage. Can't say I blame her.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 01:23   Link #197
Znail
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Spoiler for Addition to the spoiler, comparison to the novel:
That is not quite canon.
Spoiler for almost novel:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-09 at 01:36.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 01:25   Link #198
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
She's mortified and embarrassed, especially after she made that romantic dinner and drew up her courage. Can't say I blame her.
The funny thing is she started it right after drinking tea... not more that 1 minute after, I was wonder if she's not in herself or just excited and nervous...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 01:28   Link #199
zero7090
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Rushed episode is rushed. The animation go down at the kuradil scene.

Spoiler for comparison to the novels:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-09 at 01:33. Reason: When comparing to the novels, please use spoiler tags
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 01:50   Link #200
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
The subs I watched had her ask if they could take time off from the front lines, not leave the guild.
You know what's funny? Kirito's whole reason to fight Heathcliff (oh the cat lover, so he can't be all bad, right? ) was in order for Asuna to take some time off the frontlines. Well, even though Kirito lost, in the end, they are going to take time off the frontlines anyway. The whole duel with Heathcliff was never needed, except to dupe Kirito into joining the guild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Regardless, Heathcliff's smile in that moment should tell us all we need to know about him. I've watched enough anime to know that that wasn't the smile of a good guy. Nevermind the author's very obvious past in playing old-school MMOs, where leaders of "top guilds" were pretty much never actual nice people.
Leaders of top guilds were not nice to general people because people keep bothering them, while all they want to do is play the game with their friends. People tend to nag and want to join the guild, and it gets tiring after awhile. If you are friends with one, they are usually really cool people.

As for Heathcliff being a bad guy or not, I'm sure he is not pure saint of heart, like most people are. In general, he probably does what is right, but sometimes, as a leader, tough decisions need to be made. Then again, we really don't know much about him yet, so we'll have to see where this leads.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.