AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 10
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 114 53.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 48 22.54%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 25 11.74%
7 out of 10 : Good... 10 4.69%
6 out of 10 : Average... 7 3.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 1.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.47%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 4 1.88%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-11, 11:44   Link #461
Rakshasa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 下北沢、東京
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
^ He was being sarcastic. Note the "/sarcasm" tag at the end.
The sarcasm tag doesn't change what seems to be his interpretation of the parent poster.
__________________
libTorrent - A BitTorrent library and ncurses client for *nix.
Rakshasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 11:46   Link #462
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
The parent poster is me by the way and I feel he understood me perfectly.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 12:06   Link #463
Karakuri
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portugal
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Karakuri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
The parent poster is me by the way and I feel he understood me perfectly.
When I read rak's comment I was like...man...did I really misunderstand him??? Woa I'm feeling stupid...Then I read your comment...thank god I didn't misunderstand xD
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 12:11   Link #464
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
They sure are marching through the story fast. I don't know how I feel about that TBH.
Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-11 at 12:20. Reason: Please put all novel comparisons behind spoiler tags
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 12:26   Link #465
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:
Spoiler for Reply to comparison:
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 12:31   Link #466
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Personally I find it refreshing for the couple to happen halfway/relatively early in the story, as opposed to everywhere else where they only hook up at the end. (lookin' at you, Shakugan no Shana)
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 13:01   Link #467
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
The marriage thing makes sense given the context though. The amount of marriages skyrockets during times of uncertainty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
When I read rak's comment I was like...man...did I really misunderstand him??? Woa I'm feeling stupid...Then I read your comment...thank god I didn't misunderstand xD
Unless we are both misunderstanding eachother, in which case it would be funny.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 13:07   Link #468
Karakuri
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portugal
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Karakuri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
The marriage thing makes sense given the context though. The amount of marriages skyrockets during times of uncertainty.



Unless we are both misunderstanding eachother, in which case it would be funny.
1 - Yeah, I agree in this one, I didn't even feel this marriage was rushed at all, since they don't know if they can live another day, if they were in real life, they wouldn't do this. For sure. Atleast Kirito wouldn't mention marriage...now Asuna...hmmm...

2 - Erm...I think we didn't misunderstand each other...but I'm not gonna mention this anymore...hehe
Edit: Now I'm curious about this...look at what you've done!!! Wasn't it because he said Kirito should've just done it, and it was " stupid " - if you could say so - to think about sex after marriage? ( The only thing I can't understand is why he thinks Kirito hasn't done it...though... ) - Well, if I misunderstood you, I will ROFL IRL, and I mean it. Lol. - Not to mention...he's just a 16 year old boy...I'm only a 17 year old boy, and I don't really care much about sex, tbh..lol

Last edited by Karakuri; 2012-09-11 at 13:41.
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 13:31   Link #469
TheDrifter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
i just love how these characters go crazy over digital food. each episode they add this food filler.

overall an ok episode. messed up how the knight die, but oh well.
TheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 13:31   Link #470
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anywhere I can draw inspiration from
Age: 32
It's nice to see the girl do the saving for once. Good change of pace "D
__________________
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 13:38   Link #471
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
The marriage thing makes sense given the context though. The amount of marriages skyrockets during times of uncertainty.
I don't know if the in-game marriage means more or less than a RL one.

On the one hand, the fact that it's just a game means that society at large won't see it as quite as binding as a real marriage. And the material commitment is less - no expensive ceremony, no shared real estate investment except for stuff that they plan on leaving behind when they exit the game...

On the other, as they said in Murder Case, it's a sign of great trust in a dangerous world.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 13:47   Link #472
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
What I get from the ending scene of this episode is that they fully intend to treat it as an actual marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
i just love how these characters go crazy over digital food. each episode they add this food filler.
TASTY digital food.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 13:56   Link #473
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't know if the in-game marriage means more or less than a RL one.

On the one hand, the fact that it's just a game means that society at large won't see it as quite as binding as a real marriage. And the material commitment is less - no expensive ceremony, no shared real estate investment except for stuff that they plan on leaving behind when they exit the game...

On the other, as they said in Murder Case, it's a sign of great trust in a dangerous world.
Essentially, the in-game marriage is only as special as the wedded make it between each other.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 14:57   Link #474
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
I see the opinion is divided between the shippers and the way-too-fast opinions.

They're actually compatible. I share both. Yay Kirito x Asuna, and, well, it's way too fast.

Triple_R mentioned it in at least a few posts deep somewhere in this thread, and I agree with it -- that the scenes themselves are great, but the transition is just way too fast.

I understand that Kirito and Asuna have had quite a few developments already, that the stage is set, and I was actually smiling half in disbelief and half pleasantly surprised by the anime daring to take it to the next step. But this happened, in running time, less than five minutes after another major event where Kirito for the first time actually killed someone, Asuna blaming herself for it and tearfully begged her leave, their first, trauma-driven kiss, and Kirito confessing "my life is yours" to placate her. My brain was still waiting for all the ramifications for these very important developments (like, uh, reporting to the guildmaster) and was just not, not ready to appreciate the lurve, and therefore what would have been a wonderfully climaxing romantic scene had less than its deserved orgasmic impact. It's like a Shakespearean play: you need a bit of lollygagging and bantering and other things happening between the important events that conclude each Act.

This really should have been two episodes.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 15:23   Link #475
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
This really should have been two episodes.
I don't think you could really keep the same momentum and sense of flow if you split it up. I mean, basically the only way you could have done it is if you stretch it out like crazy so you made a cliffhanger in the first episode at the point that Kuradeel betrays them. Then, in the second episode, Kuradeel dies to end the first-half, and then you have 10 whole minutes to go from "my life is yours" to the ending (because ending on the marriage proposal is good form). The only way to fill that time is perhaps with the murder aftermath, but this breaks the flow and the impact of Kirito's words. The aftermath of the murder really doesn't matter because he's a villain and now he's dead -- what Kirito said and the change in their relationship is much more important in the grand scheme of things. I think it's a lot better, pacing wise, to make a passing reference to the murder at the beginning of the next episode as part of the transition to Kirito and Asuna moving to the 22nd floor, so they can continue moving forward with the more important issues.

So yeah, I don't think two episodes would have improved anything. If anything, I suppose adding a few extra minutes to the episode if they could might smooth over the transitions, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it will weigh that heavily, because obviously the main story is yet to come (we still have 15 episodes to go).
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 15:28   Link #476
EnOfEridu
a.k.a Enki
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
the flow thing.
I agree with this. In my opinion, up until ep 6 or 7, the series was waaaaay to slow. I didn't saw where were they going, they just showed me the Kiritos adventures with his harem (or not).

I liked the crazy flow. We get a lot in a single package. A previous opinion said that this was no Naruto, Bleach or similar, and i'm grateful. Too long a fight, too long a theme and I get bored. And I don't need another Bleach in my life.

But opinions tend to vary. Of course, I always wield the hammer of rightness, remember.
__________________
I can see it... i can see the ending
EnOfEridu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 15:29   Link #477
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
I think most viewers are confused that their relationship already made it to this level when there's still half a series to go. They probably can't imagine what else could possibly happen because most anime don't do much beyond this point, because reaching this point is usually the, er, point.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 15:51   Link #478
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I think most viewers are confused that their relationship already made it to this level when there's still half a series to go. They probably can't imagine what else could possibly happen because most anime don't do much beyond this point, because reaching this point is usually the, er, point.
As I mentioned, I was pleasantly surprised that they dared go all the way, as opposed to unpleasantly. I also thought the buildup in the overall series was just fine. My problem was with the flow in the episode itself. Big, dramatic things happen and then another dramatic thing happens and then another in rather quick succession, all with different moods to them (badass, dangerous, tearful, romantic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnOfEridu View Post
I liked the crazy flow. We get a lot in a single package. A previous opinion said that this was no Naruto, Bleach or similar, and i'm grateful. Too long a fight, too long a theme and I get bored. And I don't need another Bleach in my life.
Trust me, I can't stand slow shit. I don't even start on the Big Three, and even short series with extraordinarily mellow pacing (like Inu x Boku SS) are difficult.

Sword Art Online, on the other hand, have been moving pretty fast, both time-wise and in terms of content, at least in my opinion (though you're free to disagree, which doesn't change the fact that I'm right :P). This episode is actually a lot easier to digest than episode 3, which was running at breakneck speed as if it couldn't wait to kill off Sachi and the Black Cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
So yeah, I don't think two episodes would have improved anything. If anything, I suppose adding a few extra minutes to the episode if they could might smooth over the transitions, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it will weigh that heavily, because obviously the main story is yet to come (we still have 15 episodes to go).
I didn't really think this out (not my job, lol), and you did make a good point with your analysis of how it could have been problematic. But I can't change my feelings, it was...not quite a mood whiplash, but certainly lacking in...foreplay. I mean, first night and a marriage proposal, man.

Say, in-between the confession of his life and the aftermath of their night together, they could easily stretch out that ten minutes or twenty (well, maybe not twenty) where a lot of things could be said and done and I think most fans would not have had a problem (being that they're all KiriAsu shippers and all). Precious moments, heartfelt conversations that, yes, deal with the fact that Kirito really did end up killing a person to defend Asuna, plans for their little getaway (before Kirito turned it into a full blown honeymoon with his later proposal), a bit of a romantic comedy, etc.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 15:58   Link #479
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 23
Shouldn't there also be a consideration that marriage in the game isn't like marriage in real life . Yeah there's a hyperrealistic aspect to this game that has been made very apparent, but there are still inadequacies to game (Like the process of cooking food being boring). It's just not quite the same, despite how immersive it is.

I see the marriage proposal as more of them officiating their relationship rather than a life time devotion to anything. Kirito only pledged to getting her out of the game with all his abilities. They haven't even mentioned meeting in real life yet, or anything like that.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 16:05   Link #480
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I didn't really think this out (not my job, lol), and you did make a good point with your analysis of how it could have been problematic. But I can't change my feelings, it was...not quite a mood whiplash, but certainly lacking in...foreplay. I mean, first night and a marriage proposal, man.

Say, in-between the confession of his life and the aftermath of their night together, they could easily stretch out that ten minutes or twenty (well, maybe not twenty) where a lot of things could be said and done and I think most fans would not have had a problem (being that they're all KiriAsu shippers and all). Precious moments, heartfelt conversations that, yes, deal with the fact that Kirito really did end up killing a person to defend Asuna, plans for their little getaway (before Kirito turned it into a full blown honeymoon with his later proposal), a bit of a romantic comedy, etc.
I don't think it's necessary, because they have the whole rest of the show to develop that part of their relationship. Marriage in SAO just means they're sharing their items and inventory. It's an important symbolic gesture, sure (one that was carefully foreshadowed), but he was no less committed when he said "My life is yours, Asuna", nor was she when she said "I'll protect you forever". In fact, he could have "proposed" right then and there and the effect would have been basically the same. This is just basically putting a name to their commitment.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I see the marriage proposal as more of them officiating their relationship rather than a life time devotion to anything. Kirito only pledged to getting her out of the game with all his abilities. They haven't even mentioned meeting in real life yet, or anything like that.
Yeah, I guess I'd probably meet you somewhere halfway here. The key point is that they're in a committed romantic relationship that, in the world of SAO, is called marriage. As was already pointed out, in this sort of death game it's a profound sign of trust (since you share all items/money/inventory, so you're trusting your partner with everything), but it is still different than real-life marriage.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.