AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-08-31, 17:51   Link #181
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
i disagree.... it's rather easy to become a "good person" in an MMO.
Agree. It's pretty easy.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 11:10   Link #182
maelstormCaT
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Agree. It's pretty easy.
Yeah, but SoA is NOT an MMO.

It's close to real life.
In fact, it is real life.

and since its such a well defined game world, some people just couldn't help but to acted on their inner desires and dark sides.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-09-13 at 15:37.
maelstormCaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 17:39   Link #183
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Send a message via Skype™ to ronelm2000
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstormCaT View Post
Yeah, but SoA is NOT an MMO.

It's close to real life.
In fact, it is real life.

and since its such a well defined game world, some people just couldn't help but to acted on their inner desires and dark sides.
How is it again that people can exchange the O and the A but not the S and the A?

The greatest limitation of RL is the fact people already knew you for who you are back there. But in a world like SAO where people really didn't knew each other (of course Beta players somehow knew each other somehow) it is actually a lot easier to play the hero role and help others, instead of being someone everybody hates... even if you DO have inner dark desires, it is easier to keep them because of this mere fact. (I know I have in RL when facing my college friends.)

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-09-13 at 16:14.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 19:40   Link #184
Mich666
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
Spoiler for Volume 10, but no Volume 10 related stuff (just about the sword):


I summarized a list of Kirito's strengths and flaws:
1. Master of Game Memory
Floor 1 Boss uses Nodachi? No biggie, he's memorized ALL the Katana sword skills. (not spoilered because this is an LN SS detail that's not mentioned.) This is the reason for ALL of his awesomeness. (including memorization of every single detail about stuff he had abused so much. Details require LN spoilers.)

2. Plot Luck
Let's see.... I don't think I should explain it do I? Meeting 5 pseudo-harem girls (in the LN 7... no 8 depending on your choice). Getting ridiculous stuff that's supposedly rare. However, when he abuses this, it creates a problem called Plot UnLuck.

3. Scarred Protectiveness
In Aincrad, when you're a party member with Kirito, he'll NEVER allow you to go to a dangerous situation without the necessary failsafe. This was one of the inevitable results of RNR...
Spoiler for Vol 1 or Last Aincrad Eps [Floor 75]:


4. Determinator
He. does. not. simply. give. up. Seriously!
Spoiler for Vol 1 or Last Aincrad Eps [Floor 75]:


5. Genre Savvy
LN spoilers aside, Kirito implicitly knows several anime cliches. Let's see... his answer to Scilica when he saved her... how he says stuff is... awfully similar to some manga/anime lines... however this can often go for bad edges; see spoiler:
Spoiler for Caliber SS (Fairy Dance SS):


=====
Flaws:
1. His BSOD lasts longer
No, he has never truly recovered from the scars he had incurred. Even if he did, he took him a long time to do so. He has never ever truly recovered from the events in RNR. He laments the fact that the reason he was in Aincrad in the first place was because he stayed away from his family...
Spoiler for Vol 1 [Last Aincrad Eps]:

Spoiler for Fairy Dance or [Alfeim Online Arc]:

Spoiler for Phantom Bullet:


2. Simply Too Rash
He simply takes mysteriously or ridiculously suspicious offers too affirmatively. No, not going to take a walk in the LNs again.

3. Plot UnLucky (could be an extension of Simply Too Rash)
Spoiler for RoTS [Floor 3]:


4. Imouto Complex
Speaks for itself Causes...
Spoiler for Fairy Dance:


5. Irresponsibility
He didn't took Klein's offer because he didn't want to take responsibility for Klein's friend's deaths. He didn't tell his level in RNR because he didn't wanna take the responsibility of his own fears (being called a Beater, etc.) After RNR though, he might have taken over most of this negative insight, but assumed a more "Hero" style approach...

6. Not Thrifty
This is one of the reasons he's ALWAYS broke, both in Aincrad (during the late eps), and after the GGO Arc. (sure it helps for a certain someone, but come on..! )

7. Overconfidence
Spoiler for Compilation of all Big Bad Battles:



...if you have stuff to add then add it! :3
his worst flaw to me is he view everything from metagaming perspective, even when talking to girls.. and his "relation" with asuna, he views her as someone really strong and as partner but not as a girl - well, it surprised me he kissed her in ep10, but later in that ep (that sex refusal) he was back to his normal self.. and that marriage proposal? again, I bet he is doing it cause there are some ingame adventages of sharing house, items and so on, not thinking what it means in real world (marriages in MMO are always somewhat easy to propose).

btw - I have seen some comments that they really shared a night together after all (asuna naked in bed) and left it off-screen what do you think? (but I guess not) When asuna was getting undressed I thought "great, finally some anime that is not afraid of having mature sex relationship between characters (even off-screen)", but reaction kirito had ruined it all)
Mich666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 20:26   Link #185
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich666 View Post
he was back to his normal self.. and that marriage proposal? again, I bet he is doing it cause there are some ingame adventages of sharing house, items and so on, not thinking what it means in real world (marriages in MMO are always somewhat easy to propose).
I don't think even Kirito doesn't know the severity of asking a girl to marry him- there is no "Gokai da!" for that, regardless of the setting.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 20:38   Link #186
Lycodrake
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 22
And then "meta-gaming" was a term to mean "clueless protagonist".

But seriously, why is it so surprising that he'd respond that way? Let alone view her as a friend, ally, and companion first?
I could be wrong, but...it's the very fact that he views her as those first that adds to Asuna's attraction to him.
__________________
Lycodrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 22:22   Link #187
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Kirito is a
Spoiler for TGWOK Reference:
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 22:41   Link #188
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
No, he's just your standard low self esteem protagonist who doesn't really believe that anyone would be in love with him. So he assumes that girls who approach him are just being nice.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 08:29   Link #189
Lycodrake
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 22
No, he's not like Keima.
And I don't believe he has low self esteem.
I believe it's more of a matter that he's not your average hormonal idiot.
__________________
Lycodrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 10:06   Link #190
richardtengcy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Singapore
Spoiler for Kirito in novel arcs:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-14 at 00:26. Reason: Added spoiler tags
richardtengcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 11:25   Link #191
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Spoiler for Best novel arc for Kirito:
__________________
Nothing is Impossible

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-14 at 00:27.
BladeEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 17:31   Link #192
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Spoiler for Best novel arc for Kirito:
__________________
- Kicking it old school.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-14 at 00:27.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 17:43   Link #193
Karakuri
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portugal
Age: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Karakuri
Spoiler for Best novel arc for Kirito:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-14 at 00:27.
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 19:02   Link #194
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardtengcy View Post
Spoiler for Kirito in novel arcs:
Spoiler for The Shocking Truth:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-14 at 00:27. Reason: Added spoiler tag to quote
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 20:54   Link #195
richardtengcy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Spoiler for The Shocking Truth:
Spoiler for What i like about Phantom Arc on Kirito:
richardtengcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 09:02   Link #196
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Spoiler for The Shocking Truth:
This and
Spoiler for Phantom arc:
__________________
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 10:21   Link #197
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Send a message via Skype™ to ronelm2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardtengcy View Post
Spoiler for Kirito in novel arcs:
Spoiler for reply w/ latest translated novels:
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-26, 21:22   Link #198
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Maybe if they showed how Kirito grinded his way up to Level 75, even if it's just for 5 minutes, he could have been more tolerable if not acceptable. Somehow, every good MMO player has to start from something. A good MMO player is not cultivated overnight.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-26, 21:26   Link #199
Rayrah
Femme Fatale
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Maybe if they showed how Kirito grinded his way up to Level 75, even if it's just for 5 minutes, he could have been more tolerable if not acceptable. Somehow, every good MMO player has to start from something. A good MMO player is not cultivated overnight.
But they did? We don't see him go from lv1 to lv75 overnight or anything like that. And we've been shown him killing monsters. Grinding isn't about killing low level monsters that net little exp. It can also be killing very few powerful monsters for more exp. One example of Kirito "grinding" was his fight vs. the Lizardman.
__________________
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-26, 21:32   Link #200
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Maybe if they showed how Kirito grinded his way up to Level 75, even if it's just for 5 minutes, he could have been more tolerable if not acceptable. Somehow, every good MMO player has to start from something. A good MMO player is not cultivated overnight.
I'm guessing you mean level 70, which would be the lead up to fighting Nicholas the Renegade. The light novel went into decent detail about how hard he was pushing himself, and it definitely would've been nice to see (especially since it would've given Klein and Argo some more characterization too).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.