AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-15, 02:14   Link #23601
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

On the embassy protests, I want to compliment the people on the street and the officials in the various countries who are appalled by the violence and are saying straight out that much of the violence is hooliganism and thuggery. Like several who were interviewed said, the video was trash but answering trash with violence was deeply embarrassing to them.
Old 2012-09-15, 03:02   Link #23602
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

But on the other hand, what exactly can the moderate majority do to curb the rise of extremists in their countries? The extremists are the most vocal of all voices. They appeal to many of the uneducated and poor, and by doing so their number is on the rise. They have access to weapons and form local militias all over the Arab world, now that there are fewer dictators to keep control. In a democratic and lawful state, the moderates can triumph over the extremists just by numbers. But as chaos spread and fear grows, fewer people are willing to confront the extremists. Politicians become scared and try to applease them. Many Arab countries look well on the way to become Pakistan than Turkey to me.
Old 2012-09-15, 03:34   Link #23603
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

China's Xi finally appears in public amid rumors over health
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88E01B20120915

Google rejects White House request to pull Mohammad film clip
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88D1MD20120915
Old 2012-09-15, 03:41   Link #23604
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

There doesn't seem to be western coverages of the mass looting and rioting in China going on for the past two weeks?

Hundreds and hundreds of photo are available in both Chinese and Japanese media, showing tens of thousands of mobs looting and pillaging stores, markets, and burning buildings, targeting Japanese-owned business such as Jusco supermarket.

Photos, mostly from Chinese news media
Spoiler for for space:

Chinese looting riots aren't anything new, but the difference is, this is happening daily for the past several weeks straight.
Old 2012-09-15, 03:55   Link #23605
killer3000ad

Anti-film protest in Sydney turns violent
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-09-15, 04:25   Link #23606
Destined_Fate

This is why I'm not religious anymore.

Those poor children are already being brainwashed at a young age to hate...
Old 2012-09-15, 04:55   Link #23607
Key Board
Carbon

If you ask me, there's just using religion as an excuse and they're very angry people at their core

why are they so angry? a lot of reasons

1) Israel, the US support for it, and the apathy of the rest of the Western world.
2) The English language, Hollywood movies, Coca Cola, KFC, music.. Western cultural hegemony
3) being under an oppressive government
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2012-09-15, 10:06   Link #23608
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Two Marines killed in Taliban attack on Afghan base where Prince Harry is stationed

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/0...8KEN7J20120914

Quote:
(Reuters) - Two U.S. Marines were killed and other Americans were wounded on Friday during a Taliban attack on a base in southern Afghanistan where Britain's Prince Harry is stationed, U.S. officials told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity.

A spokesman for NATO-led forces in Afghanistan said Harry was on the base at the time of the attack but was unharmed.

Old 2012-09-15, 12:12   Link #23609
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Go to the "What is your job" thread and you will see what these people are actually doing - and to list a few :

Sumeragi - Sales Director
Vexx - MIB
SeijiSensei - Political Science Professor
Kyero Fox - Mechanic
Ganbaru - Chef
Xellos - Financial Planner
TinyRedLeaf - Editor
Insurance Sales, not Financial Planner.
Old 2012-09-15, 12:13   Link #23610
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Insurance Sales, not Financial Planner.
I am trying to be politically correct. Insurance salesman sounds......crude.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-15, 12:17   Link #23611
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

*throws salt at Xellos*

*holds up a cross*

There is running water between us, and you are not invited to my house.
Old 2012-09-15, 12:39   Link #23612
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
*throws salt at Xellos*

*holds up a cross*

There is running water between us, and you are not invited to my house.
what hey,

that stuff only works on used car salesman.
Old 2012-09-15, 12:57   Link #23613
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

curses, I knew I should have stocked up on silver ammo.
Old 2012-09-15, 12:59   Link #23614
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
curses, I knew I should have stocked up on silver ammo.
Use garlic and stakes.

Me and My Money: Jack Bogle

Quote:
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Old 2012-09-15, 13:00   Link #23615
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Use garlic and stakes.

Me and My Money: Jack Bogle
It works in practice. However if everyone saved that much in the U.S. right now, you'd plunge into a worse recession..
Old 2012-09-15, 13:02   Link #23616
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
It works in practice. However if everyone saved that much in the U.S. right now, you'd plunge into a worse recession..
Alot of finance newsletters are saying that would happen to China because they save too much.

I just follow a simple rule - make sure you know what you are saving for. Don't save for no reason and give the damn bank a reason to lend out your cash with a dubious opportunity of getting it back.

And if you have no reason to save your money for, go hang yourself.

Old 2012-09-15, 13:11   Link #23617
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
And if you have no reason to save your money for, go hang yourself.
Even if someone do not intend to keep something for when they are going to retire, having a safety net for any urgency should be enough of a reason.
Old 2012-09-15, 13:15   Link #23618
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Xi Reappears, but does Hu want to stay on?

Some fascinating reporting about how the upcoming Chinese leadership transition appears to have created turmoil within the top levels of the CCP. The author suggests that Hu Jintao has no desire to step down and may be inflaming tensions over the Senkakus as part of that strategy. Another view attributes the conflicts with Japan to growing military control over China's foreign policy as the civilian leaders squabble.

Quote:
Some political insiders say Mr. Hu is escalating the disputes over several islands to make the case that he needs to stay on. State television has had nightly reports about China’s inalienable claim to the islands also claimed by Japan, Vietnam and the Philippines. A campaign to push the military to pledge its loyalty to the party has also been used to bolster support for his leadership. Some commentaries in military newspapers have called on officers to unify around the party led by Mr. Hu.

“Hu Jintao is not ready to yield power,” said the scholar. “This is being done to serve his politics.”

Some others, however, have a slightly different view. They say the power struggles have weakened civilian control, which has already slipped in recent years. This has allowed the military to push its agenda, including enforcing territorial claims.

“This has allowed the military and hard-liners to run foreign policy,” said a Beijing-based academic with ties to the leadership.
Whatever is happening, large anti-Japanese demonstrations certainly did not break out in over forty cities across China "spontaneously."

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-09-15 at 13:49.
Old 2012-09-15, 13:25   Link #23619
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Even if someone do not intend to keep something for when they are going to retire, having a safety net for any urgency should be enough of a reason.
This is the real problem with people. Sometimes I don't get it why people want to hoard their money when it could be better of growing elsewhere and doing more good for the economy by giving someone else higher pay.

Insurance isn't evil, just that we don't buy everything the agent sells us, and get the simple ones that will cover you for hospitalisation and temp disability injuries if you are hard up on cash. Investment isn't a cheat, just don't put our money in there when we have no idea where it is going (that is why I am pro-DIY investing and anti-leave-it-with-a-fund-supervisor). And savings doesn't actually create illiquidity in the market, it helps you to tide over a period of unemployment should your employer go belly up.

It then boils down to how much you actually spend on yourself per month. Start from there, set aside some money to cover your ass today and tomorrow, and save the rest for unemployment and retirement. Then there is the question : when do you want to retire?

Old 2012-09-15, 13:31   Link #23620
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
On the embassy protests, I want to compliment the people on the street and the officials in the various countries who are appalled by the violence and are saying straight out that much of the violence is hooliganism and thuggery. Like several who were interviewed said, the video was trash but answering trash with violence was deeply embarrassing to them.
I haven't seen the video and don't have the time/interest, but... If this is how the majority of practitioners of Islam (in these countries, specifically) are reacting, perhaps there is a problem with the faith and it deserves criticism? Do they even stop and think, wow, we sure are reacting like three year olds here being so worked up over a video someone made. This is doing wonders for our faith's PR campaign....

Well, of course they don't, but they should....
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international