AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-16, 09:12   Link #1841
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Retracing my steps.....
Pretty much echoing a lot of others in saying that the older version of the fight was better. This madhouse version was well done in and of itself, but when compared to the old version it's really not even close.

Lets just take the scene at the beginning when uvo crushes the beer can and uses it as a deadly projectile at Kurapica who simply swats it away with his chain lashing out like a bolt of electricity. That alone made the fight seem like it was really "high-level" dangerous.

I also want to note that the music of the old version was simply sublime. If you are new the the HunterxHunter story and this anime is the only one you've seen, do yourself a favor and go watch this fight from the old anime. One of the best fights in anime history. As nice as it was the Madhouse version cannot make that same claim.
__________________
"Do what I do in every friendship and relationship, give 5%" - Ron Bennington
TooPurePureBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 09:17   Link #1842
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I think the direction is what really makes the different in the old version. It makes you see how much Kurapika is hurting inside despite appearing all cold and shit.
The thing is...in this version, Kurapika really isn't hurting inside. Rather, when he's torturing Uvogin, he's moreso unable to understand the man. The difference is in the gaze and his actions afterward. Kurapika in the 1999 series is remorseful--despite a very defiant and unrelenting Uvogin. Whereas here:


That's the face of a killer. He didn't regret a single thing.

Madhouse eclipsed the 1999 series in every way. 10/10
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 09:33   Link #1843
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
I guess it depends on what you view as an 'accurate' representation of Kurapica. The way I see it, he's already resigned himself to his fate as an avenger long before the story even started. It also shows that although he embraced his revenge, he, somewhat paradoxically, still dislikes violence and killing. He understands this, but lives with it, and finds that he cannot understand how the minds of these spiders work, who can apparently fight and kill without feeling anything. This results in a complete lack of empathy for the guy he just killed. He didn't enjoy his little killing spree, but it did bring him closer to his goal.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 09:36   Link #1844
roadrunner123
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Does anybody know the download link for hunter x hunter 2011 mp4 format?
roadrunner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 09:44   Link #1845
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 09:57   Link #1846
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I guess it depends on what you view as an 'accurate' representation of Kurapica. The way I see it, he's already resigned himself to his fate as an avenger long before the story even started. It also shows that although he embraced his revenge, he, somewhat paradoxically, still dislikes violence and killing. He understands this, but lives with it, and finds that he cannot understand how the minds of these spiders work, who can apparently fight and kill without feeling anything. This results in a complete lack of empathy for the guy he just killed. He didn't enjoy his little killing spree, but it did bring him closer to his goal.
In the fourth episode, Kurapika mentions that his goal is to only "capture" and imprison the Phantom Troupe. If you recall, in the previous episode, Leorio explicitly had a line that said "Maybe he's already captured a couple!"

No one expected Kurapika to murder Uvogin, but that's how deep his rage is felt. He didn't kill reluctantly...he tortured and killed a man, then buried his body in the desert. There's nothing pure or innocent about it.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 10:02   Link #1847
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I have to agree that the old version is better probably mostly because of the soundtrack and the type of art. I got a hell of a lot more tension in the old version than in this version. In the old version, Kurapika's murderous intent was far more palpable. And I really didn't like some of BGM that was used, especially that annoying orchestral choir signing one that was used when Kurapika was torturing Uvo.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 10:18   Link #1848
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
In a sense glad I didn't really watch the old version. So I could walk away from this episode with a, "nice job Kurapika" feeling.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 10:26   Link #1849
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
In a sense glad I didn't really watch the old version. So I could walk away from this episode with a, "nice job Kurapika" feeling.
Yeah, me too. I can see comparing it to the old version for academics sake. But in reality, the old version is out of print and won't be back. The only version that has a shot at release now is the new version, esp with film coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post

No one expected Kurapika to murder Uvogin, but that's how deep his rage is felt. He didn't kill reluctantly...he tortured and killed a man, then buried his body in the desert. There's nothing pure or innocent about it.
A village got obliterated. I have no problems with him killing them all.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 11:00   Link #1850
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
In a sense glad I didn't really watch the old version. So I could walk away from this episode with a, "nice job Kurapika" feeling.
You still should watch the old version even if it's only to see a different take on that scene. It wouldn't be any different than reading the manga, which is different in tone and presentation too.

You don't need to compare if you don't want to, but considering this is a key scene in the Hunter x Hunter series, I think it's worth watching every version available (including the manga, of course)
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 11:24   Link #1851
Albafica
Pisces no saint
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: France
I really like how Kurapika looks like in the old serie (episode 56). Kurapika kill one guy for the very first time, his hands have blood now, his reaction at the end of the episode was really good in my opinion. It showed an human side. Kurapika looks so cold in this episode, wanted to kill Uvogin so much; but he's still an human.

The atmosphere,the tension in the old version was awesome in this episode, in my opinion.
__________________
Albafica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 12:02   Link #1852
bbsbwk
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Wow what an amazing episode, I was holding my breath during the sequence Kurapika torturing Uvogin and his death. The 2011 version totally blew the 99 version away. The new version's characters are totally spot on, I couldn't stand the 99's depiction of a struggling, face-covering "i'm inn paaaiinn" conflicting and emotional Kurapika because it was just completely OFF from the manga! Not to mention overkill and corny as hell. It seems that the 1999's staff just didn't understand the characters at all and just wanted to write a PC version to keep Kurapika 'good' and not a bad influence to kiddie audience or something. They totally ruined the frightening moment you feel for Kurapika by making him so emo and sappy (99 ver made me dislike the character).

In the new version, just like the manga, Kurapika is cold, and was way more concerned in testing his abilities. He got a first taste of the confusion he felt by Uvo's "kill and feel nothing for others but care deeply for his own kin" way. He should be confused, angry but totally convicted, there is NO remorse or anguish whatsoever, and 2011 version handled that beautifully. The result is way more brutal and moral conflicting, and way more powerful and actually more human. In a story telling structure, Kurapika hasn't reach that point of 'struggling" yet, the 99 version just jump way ahead themselves and RUIN the conclusion of this battle. The new version handled it way more respectful and mature. The animation is fluid and beautiful. And look at those translucent conjurer chains!

The 2011 version kept Uvo dignified during his death, he accepted his fate at that point like the manga, while the 1999 version made him too 'angry' (the 99 versions just keep getting things wrong) . The 2011 version is just so much better, I'm so happy that finally there's an adaptation that got Togashi's story right.
bbsbwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 12:14   Link #1853
noktown
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbwk View Post
Wow what an amazing episode, I was holding my breath during the sequence Kurapika torturing Uvogin and his death. The 2011 version totally blew the 99 version away. The new version's characters are totally spot on, I couldn't stand the 99's depiction of a struggling, face-covering "i'm inn paaaiinn" conflicting and emotional Kurapika because it was just completely OFF from the manga! Not to mention overkill and corny as hell. It seems that the 1999's staff just didn't understand the characters at all and just wanted to write a PC version to keep Kurapika 'good' and not a bad influence to kiddie audience or something. They totally ruined the frightening moment you feel for Kurapika by making him so emo and sappy (99 ver made me dislike the character).

In the new version, just like the manga, Kurapika is cold, and was way more concerned in testing his abilities. He got a first taste of the confusion he felt by Uvo's "kill and feel nothing for others but care deeply for his own kin" way. He should be confused, angry but totally convicted, there is NO remorse or anguish whatsoever, and 2011 version handled that beautifully. The result is way more brutal and moral conflicting, and way more powerful and actually more human. In a story telling structure, Kurapika hasn't reach that point of 'struggling" yet, the 99 version just jump way ahead themselves and RUIN the conclusion of this battle. The new version handled it way more respectful and mature. The animation is fluid and beautiful. And look at those translucent conjurer chains!

The 2011 version kept Uvo dignified during his death, he accepted his fate at that point like the manga, while the 1999 version made him too 'angry' (the 99 versions just keep getting things wrong) . The 2011 version is just so much better, I'm so happy that finally there's an adaptation that got Togashi's story right.
Agreed.

If he was going to regret what he did,he shouldn't have used that crushing heart technique in the first place rather than use it and go emo about it.


I especially liked this version for the fact that he DIDN'T go emo about Uvogin's death.He knew this was coming.These guys are professional killers and are one of the strongest bands in the WORLD,deaths are unavoidable.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 12:25   Link #1854
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I don't get the vibe that 2011 Kurapika isn't tortured or conflicted by what's going on - rather, I sense a person very much wavering on the precipice between his initial good nature and his lust for violent revenge. I think the key question was when he asked Uvo what he felt when killing innocent people, and the answer was "Nothing." Because Kurapika can't kill anyone - even someone as stained by blood as Uvo - without feeling something, and it's very clear he does feel something when he kills him. Rage, hatred, but also despair over what he feels is happening to him.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 12:25   Link #1855
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
He didn't kill reluctantly...he tortured and killed a man, then buried his body in the desert. There's nothing pure or innocent about it.
Perhaps I wasn't very clear, but I wasn't implying that. I'm just saying he doesn't actually enjoy it the same way the spiders do.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 12:28   Link #1856
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think the key question was when he asked Uvo what he felt when killing innocent people, and the answer was "Nothing." Because Kurapika can't kill anyone - even someone as stained by blood as Uvo - without feeling something, and it's very clear he does feel something when he kills him. Rage, hatred, but also despair over what he feels is happening to him.
I agree. What Kurapika feels in the old and new versions of this fight is basically the same. And it's not regret or remorse, but him realizing he can't kill without feeling anything even though his victim is the Ryodan (I'd call that humanity). The old version just makes this more explicit.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-09-16 at 12:55.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 13:37   Link #1857
SHINOBI-03
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
EPISODE 47

Spoiler for Part 1:



Spoiler for Part 2:

Last edited by SHINOBI-03; 2012-09-22 at 13:56. Reason: insults
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 13:51   Link #1858
Albafica
Pisces no saint
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: France
Moments where you says it's pathetic for Nippon, it's absolutly false for me. Well you're a HxH2011' fanboy when I'm a 1999 fanboy, so I disagree with you in a lot of your reviews. And your comparaison about this episode is really bad. You said that you liked the moment where Kurapika said "you will atone though death", but you take 0 shots of this moment in the manga or the previous serie, to compare, which is far epic than this one.

Yeah it's my opinion, like your post is yours, but says "pathetic" all times in a post is a bit pathetic too....
__________________
Albafica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 13:58   Link #1859
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
Nippon’s adaptation on the other hand was a complete failure
I disagree. You didn't like it and that's fair, but it isn't a failure at all. Adaptations are called that way for a reason. It doesn't have to be 100% faithful to the source material.

On another note, your screen caps reminded me how much I loved the art direction in the old series, specially during this arc.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 14:05   Link #1860
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Am I the only one who finds it depressing that so much of this thread is devoted to fans of either version telling the other how much their version sucks?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.