AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-21, 02:23   Link #4901
Eeni
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: refrigerator box
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoRanger View Post
Heero and Duo and Duo and Wufei is worse because of the fanfics, and unfortunatelly most girl fandom hates Hilde because she screwed with their Yaoi dreams
The only reason that I disliked Hilde at the beginning was because when she first shows up she kinnda reminded me of Noin. And thinking back on it now, Hilde was probably the first clone of an already existing character. I mean, seriously, she looked like she could be Noin's litter sister or even a younger version of Noin. Although, by the end of the series I did grow to like her a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou Souji View Post
Well Trowa isn't really miserable. Neither is Wufei. Quatre got drunk and spilled his soul but he isn't that miserable either. Duo is the only one who is truly leading a miserable life. Heero didn't really live but having to kill Relena probably has him miserable but we know he wont do it.
By the way Duo is portrayed in FT, you would never imagine that he is miserable, but then again, it's in his nature not to show his misery. Anyways, did he even show any remorse or something in the chapter(s) that dealt with his past? Or when talking about Hilde?
WuFei seems to be isolating himself, like he regrets something...
And I have no idea what the others are doing, so ya..............
__________________
There was never a great talent without a bit of insanity.

I don't think I've ever seen so much nonsense in so little space. -FalsePrime

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Eeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 04:51   Link #4902
Purdys99
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
I absolutely agree with the part I put in bold. There is glaring lack of focus on the characters themselves and their relationships. Whatever interaction we get is usually either buried under philosophical messages or symbolism, impeded by the writers' inability to write sane characters of different sex (namely Heero and Relena) or is so minuscule, you hardly notice. But the thing is, it's there. You just have to look for it. Hard.
I completely agree with you, especially the last part. Also, sorry for the belated reply. However, I never forgot this post b/c you bring up so many thoughtful points. Sometimes I think I'm the only person who has these opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
The best example I can think of is the relationship between Duo and Trowa. Yes, there is one.
Duo has a number of good reasons to at least dislike the guy; he showered him with missiles when they first met, blew up his Gundam, threw him into jail and even punched him. But is Duo mad at Trowa when they meet again in space? No, he's relieved. He even feels depressed that Trowa lost his memories. Furthermore, he even goes through the trouble of "saving the guy who destroyed [his] partner," proving that no, he did not forget what Trowa had done to him but he wasn't holding a grudge either. Fast forward a few episodes when Trowa gets his memories back and what do we see them do? Play chess and generally look like they're buddies. What really drives the point home for me is when they part on Libra and Duo apologizes to him for having to leave him alone. He thinks "don't get yourself killed" and Trowa thinks back "you, too Duo."

What we can piece together from all this is that Duo himself is not a person to hold grudges but is very forgiving. Heck, he's pretty hard to offend in the first place. When Trowa fires missiles at him again in EW, Duo looked like he genuinely believed he'd die there. But when they meet up again instead of going "Dude! This is the second time!" or "What the heck is wrong with you?!", the only thing he does is jokingly remark that there's nothing wrong with helping a friend in need. Completely unrelated.
He's also very companionable. Looking at Trowa's character, it's likelier Duo asked him for that game of chess than the other way around.

Trowa gets character development, too (of the funny kind). When Heero knocks Duo out in EW, he hands him over to Trowa and instead of letting Duo plop onto the ground or something, Trowa actually lifts him to his shoulder before handing him over again. No big deal, you say. But do you remember how he first treated a half-dead Heero when he self-destructed? Yeah, major development there. xD
You know, its so funny that you mention Trowa... I actually think he has the MOST clear cut character arch out of all the characters in GW. Sure you can make an argument for the likes of Relena, Zechs, Quatre who also went through a lot of trials and growth but to me Trowa's personal journey is the most clearly portrayed. He goes from going very cold, stoic, single minded to the point of recklessness/suicidal to a very gentle, caring person. And what's more, they very subtly showed signs of these traits right from the beginning to make it all the more believable (ex. saving Heero, accepting Quatre's friendship, his natural kinship with animals). And its ever slowly fleshed out, from his nearly getting killed, to losing his memories, connecting with Catherine and the Circus, to regaining his memories, his subtle comraderie with Duo and Quatre. The progression is subtle, and while there is improvement to be desired, its all layed out for the audience to see. There's also that scene b/t him and Noin in Antartica. He argues the fate of a soldier is to have an enemy while Noin says a soldier's fate is to have someone to care for to protect. He never understands this until the very end of the series. Therefore, I think Trowa is the most well written character out of the series. Easily the top 3. Then again, his competition isn't that steep.:P

Now contrast Trowa's arch to Relena's arch. Relena went from a girl hot with vengeful anger to the point of wanting to burn down a whole building full of people to the head of a Pacifist nation and school....o.O Uh, say what now? Seriously! They leave her off with her contemplating arson, we don't see her again until Antartica and even then that doesn't give us any reason how and why she's let go of her anger to become a freaking pacifist all of a sudden. There's no progression: forget going from A to C, she goes from A to W w/ zero reasoning. The writers didn't think that her sudden transformation needed any explanation? @_@

I love your analysis of Duo too! How he never seems to hold a grudge against Trowa inspite of everything he put him through, so therefore he's just not the type to hold grudges. I like that interpretation very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
I guess GW displays an extreme case of "show, don't tell" (which understandably isn't many people's cup of tea) and I'm honestly not sure if the writers were fully aware of it or not, but to me at least the characters come off as thought out extremely well. They all act differently, as real people would (note: "as," not "like"). When every single action of theirs, as mundane as it is, can be taken as a hint of what sort of person they are (due to lack of clarification, no doubt), resulting in a potential multitude of personalities in the entire cast (as implied as they are), I'll view it as good writing. Or rather, I'll view it as having put effort into it instead of just going the easy way and shoehorning them into stereotypes. Even if it's still anything but sufficient.
I do agree with the "Show, don't tell" argument, however, though there is showing, I do believe the execution could've been way better. If I dare say so, sometimes GW is waaaay too subtle. I mean, what audience were they aiming for exactly? Not to stereotype teenagers here, but when it comes to entertainment, complex philosophical thoughts on war and peace isn't exactly the top of their list, is it? But I digress. If all of the characters were written with the same care and slight of hand as Trowa was, I think the 'show' could've been a lot better. If were to compare GW to a recent show, its a lot like Mad Men. The part in bold applies perfectly to Mad Men. That show is purely character driven so almost every line, every action says something about the character. Nothing is ever fully explained; a scene plays out before you and its completely up to the audience to find their own meaning in it. Maybe that was what GW was trying to do, which is why it kinda became a bit of a mess. I dont' think they had perfected their story formula quite yet when going for this style... A better example of this type of story telling would be say Noir, an anime I highly recommend. While the plot, again, is very very difficult to understand and again, nothing is fully explained, the atmosphere, characters, and music are wonderful. There are a lot of things in Noir that are very similar to GW as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
To tell the truth, the "cookie cutter archetype" is the only part in your statement I can't grasp. I admit, I haven't seen many Gundam series but from what I understood, GW was supposed to be the exact opposite of MSG in terms of premise; instead of having a civilian be turned into a soldier, you start off with a fully trained assassin regaining his humanity somewhere along the way. Instead of fighting in an army, the GW pilots are terrorists fighting against it. And instead of (initially) fighting for self-defense, the GW pilots are usually the ones initiating attacks. I'm generally hard-pressed to find comparable characters to the GW pilots from any anime...
Hmm. Well aren't the likes of Relena and Zechs copied from the first Gundam series? Isn't Zechs another version of Char and Relena is based on...uh, the female protagonist? (forget her name) Hmm, maybe I got it the other way around. I can name a lot of other mecha series that came AFTER GW, where the characters are a lot like the ones in GW. Examples: Gundam 00, Gundam Seed, Code Geass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Which is why I adore the Blind Target CD drama.
:O Is there an english translation for the CD drama or do you listen to it in japanese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
If you aren't ten, most battles are downright boring when compared to the impressive battle choreography Seed or 00 sport for example.
Omg, those battles! I'm not really sure if they were horrible. Maybe it only seemed that way b/c of that God AWFUL guitar music that accompanies them! Oh god, that has to be the most obnoxious, distracting, and unfitting music I've ever heard from any movie or tv show ever!>.<! HATE IT. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Anyway, I can't really blame anyone for not wanting to go through the series numerous times to grasp every meaning because, while I don't really have a problem with it, it is horribly paced, the plot is too big to fit into 47 episodes (which is why you have to watch GW thrice to get it), the wording at parts is downright confusing because the creators are trying to cram entire ideologies into single sentences and if you aren't paying attention, the characters may come off as severely bland. And there's also the little matter of having to ignore certain things because no one knows what the creators were smoking that day...
Nonetheless, GW has incredible potential and is well worth the time needed to understand it. True, you have to fill a lot of gaps yourself but GW was never a show to spoon-feed its audience, so from here on it's personal preference. But I will not concede to GW having a bad plot or one-dimensional characters or whatever else there is that people wrongly accuse it for. You can argue about the execution but not its core.
Touche. Very well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
And before anyone asks, I have no idea why I'm babbling so much.
I like your babbling. People have lost sight on what a good babble can do.
Purdys99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 10:31   Link #4903
susyia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brazil
for those who do not know
Blind target cd novel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_zBE...5A531BE7556ADE
susyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 10:42   Link #4904
susyia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brazil
oh and quatre and doroty ......
just thinking about it gives me goosebumps
ok the series showed that she is really very kind and stuff... but i don't know she's a little sadic i can't imagine she and quatre because she will torture him with her comments and psico looks ...... they will not be happy at last if quatre is a masochist
susyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 11:18   Link #4905
DuoRanger
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: who knows?
They are the same thing, Quatre is more calm while Dorothy is the Action Girl, both suffered from their past traumas mainly because they lost their parents for the war, but Quatre didn't go mad like Dorothy who became obcessed with War and Grimdark, She buried her fellings, and Quatre along with trowa managed to bring them back(FoTNS prot detected Inquisitor).

Re-Watch the last 5 episodes susyia, you will see that.

Last edited by DuoRanger; 2012-09-21 at 11:48.
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 11:43   Link #4906
Tendou Souji
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRelena View Post
You have to remember that Gundam Unicorn was it's own entity while FT is going off something already established. And how often is it that prequels/sequels actually take the source material and make it better and/or stay within continuity in any genera? Also, if their going to fix FT they might as well just rewrite the whole thing from scratch since it's generally bad from the very first prolog. And lastly, even if they did manage to make a credible story based sequel, I wouldn't care because I don't need another adventure where Earth and Space are on the brink of war. We did that once already and we don't need to do it again.

Here are some good ideas - if they want to get people into the sires again, how about animating the Episode Zero mangas along with Blind Target. I can't remember how long I've wanted those to become an official part if the TV the series. Not only would the origin stories of main characters be more widely known (because not everyone read the mangas) but it would also put an end to the "Is Heero x Relena canon" debate forever. Maybe they could even change the animated Blind Target so that Midi Une is the one that approaches Trowa from his past instead of some random guy named Ralph, who was never once seen or mentioned in his EZ backstory. It would make a hell of a lot more sense.

Another possibility is that they could remake the original series with minor changes to the story - like maybe inserting manga material like this fucking awesome scene right here.

Spoiler for ":


However, if they had to twist my arm and make a sequel of some kind, I would personally, like to see separate OVA's where they show each Gundam pilot after 4 or 5 years and tie up the loose ends in their personal lives/relationships. Sort of like the last episode of Gundam 08th MS team (read or watch it if you don't already know about it. Good show)

I would be extremely amused to see how an actual romance between Dorothy and Quatre would work out (just for the lolz). Some clarification on Wufei and Sally's relationship would be sort of nice too. And I would pay good money to see Trowa x Midi Une happen in the canon material; don't know how it would work but I would love to see it. Midi was such a missed opportunity and so was Sylvia Noventa to a lesser extent.

I guess the point I'm making here is, he obviously wants to "revive an already dead sires" so why not use material he already has instead of destroying whats there with an entirely new plot and clone characters. It just seems stupid to me.

Unicorn is basically a sequel to Char's Counterattack. It follows up on it and ties into all of early UC with Minerva, Marida, the MS used, Bright, Kai, Beltochika, The Axis Shock and the whole plot of Laplace Box. Unicorn is nowhere near a standalone thing. If you knew the ending you would know that. It is basically the key to all of UC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeni View Post
By the way Duo is portrayed in FT, you would never imagine that he is miserable, but then again, it's in his nature not to show his misery. Anyways, did he even show any remorse or something in the chapter(s) that dealt with his past? Or when talking about Hilde?
WuFei seems to be isolating himself, like he regrets something...
And I have no idea what the others are doing, so ya..............
Duo shows tons of remorse. He was always saying that Hilde should forget about him and go marry up. He is taking care of their son and trying to get him on the right path and doesn't deny him. He feels he has no right to say anything to Hilde.
Wufei has always been a loner. Even more so than Heero but he is working with the others so he isn't really isolated. Kathy is always around him.

Quatre and Trowa were building the suits but lately Quatre been a bit out of wack because of his sister stealing one of his suits and running off. His "Space Heart" stuff is used more in this. She has it too. Quate passed out after he defeated Prometheus because of the strain he had from fighting his sister.
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 12:14   Link #4907
rereremo
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rereremo View Post
For these names:

Katrina is Relena's aunt in fact, but in public it's her mother who carries the name.
Cathrine is Trowa's elder sister.
Kathy is Sally Po's daughter.
ََQuatrine is both Quetre's mother & newest sister's name.

Is this right?

Does it differ to write "Quatrine" like "Katrine"? It's the Arabian way of pronouncing "Cathrine" name, like "Joseph" would be pronounced "Yousof". I mean, Quetre is Arabian right?
Finally the thread got active again, so I guess someone will answer me
rereremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 13:29   Link #4908
Tendou Souji
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Destiny may have been crap but I really don't think the story was worse than FT's. It's pretty hard to beat something that features freezing characters, fighting via virtual piano playing and enemy suits called "Merciless Fairies" while taking itself seriously.
But I can't argue with the characters part. The FTs may be clones with silly back stories and questionable natures but they sure never danced off cliffs.
I don't get you. Either Gundam Wing is your only giant robot series or you hate giant robot series. Watch some super robot series. Cryogenic is common in robot series. Blue Gender had Cryogenic. Bebop had Cryogenic. Those were both on Adult Swim so it is easy to have exposure to them. G Gundam had the mobile trace system. UC shows had people piloting robots with their minds, freezing robots with their minds, building robots with their minds, souls trapped in boxes, clones etc. But you want to complain about virtual keyboards? Seriously? Something that sounds cool and allows a unique mobile doll piloting style is complained about? What is wrong with you people? It is basically the same thing Dorothy was doing but without using the Zero System. She was able to accurately control the dolls and give Heero and Duo Jr trouble. The Dolls did well. It worked and sounded cool. Macross has people singing to attack in their suits. Macross is built off of singing while dogfights happen. As far as names go we have Full Frontal and Quatro Bagina. The guys name is basically 4 vagina. Gundam is no stranger to craziness. Frozen Teardrop is pretty tame compared to what is out there in this genre.

Frozen Teardrop is in no way worse than Destiny at anything comparable.
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 15:01   Link #4909
Purdys99
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou Souji View Post
Quatre got drunk and spilled his soul but he isn't that miserable either.
Whoa whoa wait! Hold up! Quatre got drunk?! o.O Details please!

Guess that means he's not muslim then.
Purdys99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 15:35   Link #4910
susyia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brazil
well in FT he's a 40 old year man so drink is not a big deal..... but he was complaing about life is hard and stuf.... he choose to close himself not marry not happy not love anyone beacuse he don't deserve
well dorothy could fix that ....yeah maybe they make a good couple....
I personally would kik his ass because it has been for over 30 years... guilty is guilty but hey come on he could do his best to compensate the past and why do he have 29 sisters if they do not interfere in his life and not let it be this type of person
susyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 16:20   Link #4911
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by rereremo View Post
Finally the thread got active again, so I guess someone will answer me
It's the way I started spelling it. She could be named after her mother or she could be named after Quatre... it doesn't really matter lol.
__________________
「では、人間は、何故、戦うのか?
戦うことに存在意義があるのかもしれない。
戦っている人間には充実感がある。
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And itís also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 17:10   Link #4912
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rereremo View Post
Finally the thread got active again, so I guess someone will answer me
I thought your question had been answered...?
Anyway, in FT Katrina is Relena's grandmother and Sabrina is her grandaunt. Or maybe it's the other way around... In any case, there's a Katrina in Relena's grandmother's generation. The series' novelization claims that Katrina was the name of Relena's mother though. So we have either a retcon or more Catherines.
The rest is right. As for writing "Quatrine" or "Katherine," it has nothing to do with Arabian spelling, seeing as "quatre" is not Arabian but French for "four," but with theme naming and keeping all the Catherines apart. In the English translation of Episode Zero Quatre's mother's name was given as "Quatrine." Correct me if I'm wrong but I think in FT it said that Quatre's younger sister was named after her. That and she's Quatre's clone, so it would make sense to spell her name as "Quatrine." Hope that answers your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou Souji View Post
I don't get you. Either Gundam Wing is your only giant robot series or you hate giant robot series. Watch some super robot series. Cryogenic is common in robot series. Blue Gender had Cryogenic. Bebop had Cryogenic. Those were both on Adult Swim so it is easy to have exposure to them. G Gundam had the mobile trace system. UC shows had people piloting robots with their minds, freezing robots with their minds, building robots with their minds, souls trapped in boxes, clones etc. But you want to complain about virtual keyboards? Seriously? Something that sounds cool and allows a unique mobile doll piloting style is complained about? What is wrong with you people? It is basically the same thing Dorothy was doing but without using the Zero System. She was able to accurately control the dolls and give Heero and Duo Jr trouble. The Dolls did well. It worked and sounded cool. Macross has people singing to attack in their suits. Macross is built off of singing while dogfights happen. As far as names go we have Full Frontal and Quatro Bagina. The guys name is basically 4 vagina. Gundam is no stranger to craziness. Frozen Teardrop is pretty tame compared to what is out there in this genre.

Frozen Teardrop is in no way worse than Destiny at anything comparable.
I understand what you say. Yes, cryogenics are not uncommon in any series with advanced technology. Heck, even Dragonball had them. And I'm not surprised to see it in FT either. I guess I'm the wrong person to explain this, but many people feel it's a cheap plot device and that it doesn't belong to GW.
Personally, I don't mind that it happened but why it happened. And I don't mean the explanation in the novel itself but the author's decision. So far the only sound reason I can come up with why Sumizawa chose to freeze Relena and Heero, thus basically skip their development, was because he wanted to talk about everyone's kids (or sisters or random hobo look-alikes) without having to resolve Heero's and Relena's stories yet. Or rather, he wanted to save them for this new story with new characters. In theory that sounds fine.
But sadly, Sumizawa's insistence to have essentially the old Gundam team assembled again, substantiated by the presence of visual clones of the other pilots, is getting in the way, and as such, the idea comes off as cheap to me. If FT looked less like GW on Mars, I wouldn't even bother mentioning it. Alas, it doesn't and the "Relena, I'll kill you" plot isn't helping shake the notion of a rehash either.

As for the virtual piano playing, well, this is a simple matter of differing opinions. I'm sorry but I find it ridiculous. Both because it reminds me of card games on motorbikes (though I'm sure it could be made to look awesome if animated), and because it doesn't fit into GW. The "craziest" way we saw controlling a robot in GW were by Dorothy and Zechs, who had a battle system help them do it with their minds, since the system works by feeding data directly into the pilot's brain yadda yadda. The way it was explained made sense. And yes, there were no outlandish mind powers or songs or whatever involved.
But referring to other series, just because they're of the same genre, doesn't make much sense in this case, does it? Besides, their ideas aren't strange within their own shows. To take the examples you listed, UC may have had people controlling robots with their minds but the concept of Newtypes wasn't sprung on the audience in a sequel but existed from the start of the series. And G Gundam's mobile trace system made sense. What didn't make sense was a man defeating a giant robot with a scarf.
See, if it had been done like in Soul Eater, where listening to music helps a fighter focus, I would've been okay with it. But this poor excuse for incorporating more classical pieces is making me laugh because I don't see how actually playing a piece during a battle translates as controlling robots. I mean, what? Do Gundam pilots take music lessons now when they train?
I'm sorry, the way it's delivered is silly compared to everything that was used previously in GW. But again, I mean no offense, it's just my own opinion.

The same goes for the names. It doesn't matter if Char is called Quatro Bagina or Full Frontal; he's not in Wing. I'm pretty sure Sumizawa never had anything to do with him. What I'm judging FT by is its prequel and that is solely Gundam Wing. And when we go from names like "Deathscythe" and "Heavyarms" to "Snow White" and "Merciless Fairies" ...I believe it's legitimate to voice one's disapproval.

So yes, I concede, compared to other series out there, FT is pretty tame. But compared to Wing, it's full of goofy ideas.

I would also like to inquire what makes you dislike Destiny so immensely. Aside from killing its characters, I don't see how its story (aside from the last part) could warrant this much distaste. But seeing as this might not be the right place, perhaps a PM would be in order?

Lastly, I would like to apologize that my statement upset you. I realize now that my choice of words can be taken as deprecating toward people's preferences and that I'm out of line demeaning a novel without being asked for my opinion in the same thread provided to its fans to discuss it. I shall watch my words more carefully from now on. Sorry.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 17:11   Link #4913
Tendou Souji
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdys99 View Post
Whoa whoa wait! Hold up! Quatre got drunk?! o.O Details please!

Guess that means he's not muslim then.
When Quatre and Trowa first met up on Mars Quatre treated Trowa to alcohol. Quatre got drunk and talked about how hard it was to live and get old. Then he went on to talk about how when he built Wing Zero as a kid it was more like it was built by his hatred and rage than himself so there was no way he could do it again.

Basically the conversation led to Quatre explaining the new suits but in a very Quatre way using alcohol. It was a great scene to me.
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 17:36   Link #4914
Tendou Souji
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
II understand what you say. Yes, cryogenics are not uncommon in any series with advanced technology. Heck, even Dragonball had them. And I'm not surprised to see it in FT either. I guess I'm the wrong person to explain this, but many people feel it's a cheap plot device and that it doesn't belong to GW.
Personally, I don't mind that it happened but why it happened. And I don't mean the explanation in the novel itself but the author's decision. So far the only sound reason I can come up with why Sumizawa chose to freeze Relena and Heero, thus basically skip their development, was because he wanted to talk about everyone's kids (or sisters or random hobo look-alikes) without having to resolve Heero's and Relena's stories yet. Or rather, he wanted to save them for this new story with new characters. In theory that sounds fine.
But sadly, Sumizawa's insistence to have essentially the old Gundam team assembled again, substantiated by the presence of visual clones of the other pilots, is getting in the way, and as such, the idea comes off as cheap to me. If FT looked less like GW on Mars, I wouldn't even bother mentioning it. Alas, it doesn't and the "Relena, I'll kill you" plot isn't helping shake the notion of a rehash either.

As for the virtual piano playing, well, this is a simple matter of differing opinions. I'm sorry but I find it ridiculous. Both because it reminds me of card games on motorbikes (though I'm sure it could be made to look awesome if animated), and because it doesn't fit into GW. The "craziest" way we saw controlling a robot in GW were by Dorothy and Zechs, who had a battle system help them do it with their minds, since the system works by feeding data directly into the pilot's brain yadda yadda. The way it was explained made sense. And yes, there were no outlandish mind powers or songs or whatever involved.
But referring to other series, just because they're of the same genre, doesn't make much sense in this case, does it? Besides, their ideas aren't strange within their own shows. To take the examples you listed, UC may have had people controlling robots with their minds but the concept of Newtypes wasn't sprung on the audience in a sequel but existed from the start of the series. And G Gundam's mobile trace system made sense. What didn't make sense was a man defeating a giant robot with a scarf.
See, if it had been done like in Soul Eater, where listening to music helps a fighter focus, I would've been okay with it. But this poor excuse for incorporating more classical pieces is making me laugh because I don't see how actually playing a piece during a battle translates as controlling robots. I mean, what? Do Gundam pilots take music lessons now when they train?
I'm sorry, it's silly compared to everything that was used previously in GW. But again, I mean no offense, it's just my own opinion.

The same goes for the names. It doesn't matter if Char is called Quatro Bagina or Full Frontal; he's not in Wing. I'm pretty sure Sumizawa never had anything to do with him. What I'm judging FT by is its prequel and that is solely Gundam Wing. And when we go from names like "Deathscythe" and "Heavyarms" to "Snow White" and "Merciless Fairies" ...I believe it's legitimate to voice one's disapproval.

So yes, I concede, compared to other series out there, FT is pretty tame. But compared to Wing, it's full of goofy ideas.

I would also like to inquire what makes you dislike Destiny so immensely. Aside from killing its characters, I don't see how its story (aside from the last part) could warrant this much distaste. But seeing as this might not be the right place, perhaps a PM would be in order?

Lastly, I would like to apologize that my statement upset you. I realize now that my choice of words can be taken as deprecating toward people's preferences and that I'm out of line demeaning a novel without being asked for my opinion in the same thread provided to its fans to discuss it. I shall watch my words more carefully from now on. Sorry.
The thing is that a robot feeding data directly into someones brain is insanely crazy already. Wing Zero was already crazy. The virtual keyboard is basically a controller for the dolls. Quatrine doesn't have the Zero System. She plays music though. Music is based on rhythm. Evangelion actually had an episode based on rhythm and used music. Quatrine uses the keyboard to allow the dolls to move in unreadable patterns and they can change strategy on the fly by changing the tempo and beat. It was a great idea and well executed. It was basically like a controller sending out signals. Mobile Dolls only exhibit that degree of skill when they are under the Zero System. Again, I find it amazing. The Ride of the Valkyries scene with Wufei was terrible however.

Newtypes in UC weren't crazy with hax until Zeta. Amuro himself didn't start having newtype flashes and things until later in the series. Char never exhibited strong newtype powers. Lalah was the closest to a strong newtype in early UC and she didn't do anything but control her bits really. It wasn't until Zeta when Kamille was summoning ghosts, creating mile long swords and crap that newtypes became haxy individuals. You couldn't tell Amuro and Kamille were the same evolution based on the things they did in their series unless you were told.

Gundam Wing was never a series known for having amazing names. Nearly everyone important was named after a number and the OZ suits were named after the Zodiac. Not that difficult to come up with. Alex and Mueller were named Blue Angel and Red Cancer. Snow White while weird isn't that much of a jump. Giving it 7 dwarfs was logical but face palm worthy though.

Destiny is easily the worst thing to come out of Gundam. The whole final battle was basically stock footage. No characters developed, Shinn had his show stolen from him, Cagalli cried all series, Kira was a robot, Lacus was a plot device, Athrun couldn't think for himself, Lunamaria hooked up with the guy who killed her sister, Rey randomly was a clone and evil, Durandal was forced into the villain roll, the EA were basically written out of the story, Neo was Mwu and didn't even care about the Extended, the Extended were underdeveloped, the final battle ended in flawless victory, Yzak and Dearka randomly decided to follow Terminal in the final battle, Meer was a pointless underdeveloped character, Heine died after 2 episodes when he should have mentored the Minerva crew etc etc etc etc etc
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 18:18   Link #4915
Tendou Souji
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Here is some stuff from 2ch

Spoiler for picture:

Don't recall this picture being posted. Better shot of Epyon White


MS girl Wing Gundam Ka in winter colors
Spoiler for picture:
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 18:34   Link #4916
FalsePrime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
That Epyon White Image had been posted, it was what made me so stoked for the a Recolor because it really works.

Hadn't seen the Winter Color EW Girl though, it really works and I would totally buy one if they ever released it.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 20:51   Link #4917
DuoRanger
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou Souji View Post
Here is some stuff from 2ch

Spoiler for picture:

Don't recall this picture being posted. Better shot of Epyon White
Es Tu Optimus Prime?
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 21:26   Link #4918
Tendou Souji
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalsePrime View Post
That Epyon White Image had been posted, it was what made me so stoked for the a Recolor because it really works.

Hadn't seen the Winter Color EW Girl though, it really works and I would totally buy one if they ever released it.
I hope Snow White uses that color scheme. It is really nice.
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 21:53   Link #4919
FalsePrime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Didn't we already make out Snow White's feet in one of the pictures (Colored standing side by side with Warlock?) in which we could make out it's foot color? For some reason I rememeber thinking the only thing we had confirmed was a whitish face and red feet.

I will go ahead and double check all the FT's released so far to see if I see any color on it's feet.

Nope all the colored pics in the Novels have the feet covered.

Granted I still doubt it would happen, but damn I would love it if they used it. I will be really sad if we have just the normal Gundam Color scheme or even worse Zero's reused.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 23:00   Link #4920
Tendou Souji
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Well the official name of the color scheme is Snow Fall. Hopefully Snow White uses something similar because it is too nice to be a one off color scheme.
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gundam wing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.