AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-23, 22:15   Link #801
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I feel tempted to purchase Guild Wars 2 because I had been anticipating it way back when as it was first announced. I don't really have the free time for an MMO though. How does this game appeal for casual players? The lack of subscription fee, as with the original Guild Wars, makes it look all the more appealing.

Anyone remember old Droknar's runs on the original Guild Wars campaign? Very nostalgic to me, lol.
I think you answered your own question concerning the appeal.

The only turn-off, I suppose, for the casual player, is there not being some automated grouping tool. Whether that's an issue for you or not is up to you of course, but dungeons in GW 2 aren't the central piece of activity virtually every western MMO builds their game around, so as a super casual player, I sincerely doubt not running dungeons would mean much to you.

As far as the cash shop and the likelihood you buy items there so as to get a real view on whether it's a "free" game or not, here's my take:

Nearly everything in the cash shop is pointless or useless or fluff or a combination of the three. However, there is one vitally important thing you will almost certainly pay for if you're even remotely serious about playing this game: bank slots. If you become more than casual, there's a decent likelihood you'll also pay for additional character slots, but bank slots are almost a given for many players.

You can largely get away without buying additional bag slots. As a super casual player, I'd probably recommend you starting your own guild if you have no plans on joining one. Then slowly work your way to a Guild Vault, which will give you even more bank space. Remember that you get 10 points per character you log in if you decide to make your own guild (as long as those characters are above level 10). So, that's 50 Guild influence, at a bare minimum, you can gain a day (likely higher if you actually bother to do anything other than simply logging in and logging out). It's 2,500 total influence to buy your Guild Bank.

As for the one item that is likely the most tempting to a new player who doesn't know any better that you should not waste money on buying? Keys. The chest they open are utterly worthless. I seem to have a vague memory of them, at one time, having a chance of having real loot, but these days, they give you pointless fluff, though I believe a recent change also gave you a chance to get some a cash shop disposable item. ie: One use res stone, etc. So, they've gone from utterly worthless to almost utterly worthless. Still nothing I'd ever recommend paying real money for. The going price for Black Lion Chests on the Tradepost would seem to back up my opinion (go for practically nothing).
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 01:31   Link #802
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Do not. diss. the Cuddles. I couldn't think of any good names for a Charr character so I decided to come up with something silly instead. I've gotten several compliments on it in-game.

I'll be sending out a friend request to everyone that posted they were on SoS I guess. There's enough now that I may as well stick around for the time being.
How can a big rampaging Charr be cuddly......

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 02:35   Link #803
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

^^ Fabric softener.
Old 2012-09-24, 06:28   Link #804
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
^^ Fabric softener.
I think it is time you get off the drugs.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-24, 06:30   Link #805
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Wait until you see the giant male charr called 'Taylor Swiftclaw". But calm your balls, the toon Taylor Swift happens to be a blonde female human. A rare display of sanity from the gamers. Though when that person whispered me for a party invite, I had a slight suspicion it was going to be a huge fat male norn. That doesn't exclude the possibility that the person playing that character is a huge norseman.

Anyways, I thought SoS is a full server?

My friends and I just cleared Citadel of Flame naked yesterday. Wheeee . I think each of us died once. I got knocked down a cliff.

My currently most active toon is my huge fat male norn necromancer 'Orkkabayue'. Currently in Garnished Toast. Might move to a lower populated and lower ranked server because we are WvW fanatics and it's not fun being separated by queues or winning without having to do anything.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 06:31   Link #806
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Wait until you see the giant male charr called 'Taylor Swiftclaw".

Anyways, I thought SoS is a full server?
Managed to get in.

Though I think I need help on powerlevelling........I am level 42 on main and it is really getting slow to level.

Old 2012-09-24, 06:38   Link #807
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post

As for the one item that is likely the most tempting to a new player who doesn't know any better that you should not waste money on buying? Keys. The chest they open are utterly worthless. I seem to have a vague memory of them, at one time, having a chance of having real loot, but these days, they give you pointless fluff, though I believe a recent change also gave you a chance to get some a cash shop disposable item. ie: One use res stone, etc. So, they've gone from utterly worthless to almost utterly worthless. Still nothing I'd ever recommend paying real money for. The going price for Black Lion Chests on the Tradepost would seem to back up my opinion (go for practically nothing).
Definitely seconding this. I have a stack of like 20 chests just sitting in my bank and keys to open some of them and I just don't even want to. All I ever get from them are transformation tonics and I really don't need more of those clogging my inventory. Especially because I tend to be an MMO hoarder and can't ever bring myself to just throw them out. It's just better for me to never open them, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
How can a big rampaging Charr be cuddly......
Have you seen his soft fur? Heard that adorable terrified scream he makes when falling from any height of an inch or higher due to the best bug in MMO history? Experienced what happens when you pull his tail? Actually forget I mentioned that last one...
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 06:54   Link #808
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Though I think I need help on powerlevelling........I am level 42 on main and it is really getting slow to level.
Go cooking -> food -> WvW. And you want to do skirmish and fast captures, not follow huge zergs around in back-and-forth open field battles.

Other way is just do your 100% World Completion, with food.
Old 2012-09-24, 07:36   Link #809
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Have you seen his soft fur? Heard that adorable terrified scream he makes when falling from any height of an inch or higher due to the best bug in MMO history? Experienced what happens when you pull his tail? Actually forget I mentioned that last one...
I think it is a bad idea to pull a Charr's tail.

Quote:
Go cooking -> food -> WvW. And you want to do skirmish and fast captures, not follow huge zergs around in back-and-forth open field battles.

Other way is just do your 100% World Completion, with food.
I am new to this WvW thing. How does that work?

Old 2012-09-24, 08:17   Link #810
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan

Quote:
Managed to get in.

I'm already 80 but working on 100% world completion and still need to do many lower level zones, so if you happen to be in one I have not done I can come help you next time I'm online (in about 8 hours). Won't speed things up immensely but I've discovered that even being downleveled I kill stuff extremely fast.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 08:45   Link #811
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
I am new to this WvW thing. How does that work?
World versus World? It's the -B- button if you didn't rebind it. It opens up server vs server vs server stats, then you can choose from any of the 4 battlegrounds. You get ridiculous exp from doing just about anything. Best exp comes from capturing locations. Stonemist castle > Garrison > Keep > Tower > Supply Camp.

But supply camps is the way to go for power levelling as they're so much easier to take.

Anyone who steps into WvW gets auto-scaled to level 80. But your level does matter as the scale isn't perfect (on purpose). A full exotic level 80 will be nearly impossible for you to kill. It's a field of 50+ castles/forts/regions and a territorial war game. All enemies from other servers are anonymous 'Invaders' and/or 'Defenders'. Open PvP.

I think taking Stone Mist castle gives me 88,000 exp? Or 122,000. I don't remember. It scales with level though. But taking 3 keeps = 1 level up I think.
Old 2012-09-24, 09:12   Link #812
Aesthetic Shampoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
That being said, i was getting a little bored so i decided to try WvW for the first time. Hammering at a door for a good half hour only to find another door to hammer down put me off GW2 for a couple of days
I must be doing it wrong
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 09:42   Link #813
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

WvW is bad for solo'ing. I mean there's tons of solo'ers, I don't want to really say they're playing the game wrong but the experience is terrible compared to having a group. I picked up my first friends simply by being part of the same event and judging them based on the way they talk (if they talk at all) and play. If they're someone who possess any mature level of cooperation, they're someone that's good for adding to your list of contacts for WvW.

An organized team of 5 can do so much in WvW. The key is don't stay with the Zerg and pointlessly fight in open space. The one that goes around and 'snipe' captures are always the ones that get things done (more rewards, more fun). It's also a lot more fun to sneak around and win 5v3's or lose 5v50's. Than a back and forth 70 player vs 70 player battle.

Of course you have to pay a lot of attention to the map. Keeps are very hard to take but in the scenario where there is a formidable assult by your server, you should join them with your group. Whenever we see cross-swords on a gate wall on the map, we send one of our guys and he/she will make a judgement whether we should participate or not. An enemy keep needs at least 20 allies to take (unless everyone is sleeping, then 5 is enough). You need rams and the people with supply to build rams. If there's people on the walls with upgraded defenses, you're going to need 50 people. If that force is nowhere near that setup, it's a waste of time to join them. This is the same logic that makes it harder for large groups to do one thing, but that's just the way it is unless there's some gigantic organized guild leading an assault.

You get free siege equipments from doing each of the 4 jumping puzzles in WvW (1 per borderland). Then always carry supply. With flame rams, gates go down a lot faster.
Old 2012-09-24, 10:12   Link #814
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Can anyone tag me now for WvW?

Old 2012-09-24, 10:25   Link #815
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

What do you mean tag you? D:
Old 2012-09-24, 10:59   Link #816
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
What do you mean tag you? D:
Tag team for WvW.

I am about to sleep because I have something on tomorrow, but I can share a couple of hours.

Old 2012-09-24, 11:59   Link #817
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS

I think Wvw reward is totally suck. But heck it was fun.

Especially during weekend when all battlefields are almost full with people. Of course the level of organisation is terrible. But when you can somehow link 10 guys into defending a supply camp against numerical forces instead of rushing meaningless with the zerg , that's when the fun start.

I saw my side map being wiped out by the lack of 3-4 smart players before, and it was painful then, but make every player's role more significant, and every victory later more sweet. We lack another 3-4 more to defend that supply camp against a group of 10-15. We lost the supply camps and could not push them out. Supply can't reach the local keep, and later it was zerg by numerical forces. Then today , I and a few others fought all night to defend the supply route, while the majority of my nation's zerg was elsewhere. It was hard fought but we got a hold of it at last, and it feels freaking awesome, seeing players come up together for common goal
Old 2012-09-24, 16:16   Link #818
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Trying to get by, but as I suspected. I keep disconnecting, maybe my connection is not good enough. Because it was running smoothly until constant disconnects every 2-4 minutes. I was atleast able to play characters until level 6-7-8. I'll just hope that my connection will jump up in the future.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 20:44   Link #819
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

A quick question before I decide to buy the game. As of current version, is it viable to make a pet maining ranger with only canine pet? I heard the pet system is still a bit unresponsive right now, is it true?
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-24, 21:18   Link #820
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

Quote:
I think it is time you get off the drugs.
Jealousy s quite unbecoming.