AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 22 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 86 57.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 26.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 8.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.33%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-22, 09:26   Link #161
bastek66
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Age: 26
Alternate ending, dont forget turn subs on.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
bastek66 is offline  
Old 2012-09-22, 13:14   Link #162
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
...hey...its tai*** and hi**ko reincarnated...
Bahamut is offline  
Old 2012-09-22, 21:40   Link #163
supermegasonic
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
dat ending, wasn't expecting it, and even more surprised is that that is actually something he wanted to say. remember in the beginning when he didnt give a crap??
__________________
supermegasonic is offline  
Old 2012-09-22, 22:16   Link #164
mylifeforaiur
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
was browsing KyoAni's official site for Hyouka (http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/kotenbu/interview/) and found the following line in one of Futoshi Nishiya's comments for Episode 22:

Spoiler for Japanese text:


For those who can understand Japanese, is my translation correct that he was very embarrassed while working on the 2nd half where Eru and Houtaro have come to understand each other?

Last edited by mylifeforaiur; 2012-09-22 at 23:40.
mylifeforaiur is offline  
Old 2012-09-23, 05:03   Link #165
Rakshasa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 下北沢、東京
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylifeforaiur View Post
was browsing KyoAni's official site for Hyouka (http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/kotenbu/interview/) and found the following line in one of Futoshi Nishiya's comments for Episode 22:

Spoiler for Japanese text:


For those who can understand Japanese, is my translation correct that he was very embarrassed while working on the 2nd half where Eru and Houtaro have come to understand each other?
More correctly; that they became aware the other was aware.
__________________
libTorrent - A BitTorrent library and ncurses client for *nix.
Rakshasa is offline  
Old 2012-09-23, 11:16   Link #166
Solafighter
Hige
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: God only knows
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Alternate ending, dont forget turn subs on.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Best.Ending.Ever.
__________________
Solafighter is offline  
Old 2012-09-23, 11:18   Link #167
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I'm not fluent, but my translation wouldn't be that he became "very embarrassed," more that he felt the same awkward bashfulness they did. And that's more or less what I felt, too. They were so irresistibly attracted to each other, but were embarrassed about it, and were always feeling the awkward approach/avoidance of innocent romantic feelings. The "itchiness" in the quote feels to me like the way those feelings just hover beneath the surface, making them uneasy.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline  
Old 2012-09-23, 12:07   Link #168
rulfo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
I wonder what would it feel like to be in one of the staff members shoes when they read the part of the script where Oreki never said those words.

Literally that part made me scream in disbelief.

Last edited by rulfo; 2012-09-23 at 12:28.
rulfo is offline  
Old 2012-09-23, 12:49   Link #169
Rakshasa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 下北沢、東京
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I'm not fluent, but my translation wouldn't be that he became "very embarrassed," more that he felt the same awkward bashfulness they did. And that's more or less what I felt, too. They were so irresistibly attracted to each other, but were embarrassed about it, and were always feeling the awkward approach/avoidance of innocent romantic feelings. The "itchiness" in the quote feels to me like the way those feelings just hover beneath the surface, making them uneasy.
There is no reference to how the two felt, only how he felt when writing about the situation.

Also embarrassed is a perfectly reasonable translation, since this was an internal emotion rather than description of how someone acts.
__________________
libTorrent - A BitTorrent library and ncurses client for *nix.
Rakshasa is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 01:54   Link #170
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
There is no reference to how the two felt, only how he felt when writing about the situation. Also embarrassed is a perfectly reasonable translation, since this was an internal emotion rather than description of how someone acts.
He didn't have to refer to the two directly since he was describing their bashful teretere kind of embarrassment, not the hazukashii kind of ashamed embarrassment. They may be the same in an English dictionary, but my impression is that the Japanese words do not refer to the same emotions.

I felt as if the English "very embarrassed" might give the wrong impression to an English-speaker reading it. It seemed to me that the writer was implying a feeling of bashfulness in sympathy with our two heroes, not personal embarrassment. The use of the word "embarrassed" might imply to an English reader that he was ashamed of what he was doing, and I didn't think that was what he meant. 1. Am I making myself clear? 2. Might this make sense?
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline  
Old 2012-09-24, 20:33   Link #171
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
He didn't have to refer to the two directly since he was describing their bashful teretere kind of embarrassment, not the hazukashii kind of ashamed embarrassment. They may be the same in an English dictionary, but my impression is that the Japanese words do not refer to the same emotions.

I felt as if the English "very embarrassed" might give the wrong impression to an English-speaker reading it. It seemed to me that the writer was implying a feeling of bashfulness in sympathy with our two heroes, not personal embarrassment. The use of the word "embarrassed" might imply to an English reader that he was ashamed of what he was doing, and I didn't think that was what he meant. 1. Am I making myself clear? 2. Might this make sense?
I don't read Japanese, but I think I get the drift of the distinction you're making.
Aquifina is offline  
Old 2012-09-26, 14:55   Link #172
Zeriand
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
One of the most beautiful ending I've ever seen yet, and probably the only anime I've seen so far that outdid its original light novel. That alone is an amazing achievement.
Zeriand is offline  
Old 2012-09-26, 23:31   Link #173
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriand View Post
One of the most beautiful ending I've ever seen yet, and probably the only anime I've seen so far that outdid its original light novel. That alone is an amazing achievement.
It didn't adapt a light novel and friends who have read the novel tell me it did an A-okay job adapting the novel but I wouldn't know if that means that it surpassed the novel or that it was decent. People go in with such low expectations when it comes to anime adaptations that the adaptation doesn't really have to surpass or even match the original for it to impress them. Most of the time, those who have read the source just want to see the characters in motion ._.

But that doesn't take away anything from Hyouka the anime and as an anime-only viewer, I was thoroughly entertained all the way through.
__________________
Forsaken_Infinity is offline  
Old 2012-09-27, 00:41   Link #174
Hyper
Irregular Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
It didn't adapt a light novel and friends who have read the novel tell me it did an A-okay job adapting the novel but I wouldn't know if that means that it surpassed the novel or that it was decent. People go in with such low expectations when it comes to anime adaptations that the adaptation doesn't really have to surpass or even match the original for it to impress them. Most of the time, those who have read the source just want to see the characters in motion ._.

But that doesn't take away anything from Hyouka the anime and as an anime-only viewer, I was thoroughly entertained all the way through.
Yeah. I personally think that "just want to see it in motion" mentality is bad. All too often the manga/light novel/novel just got "animated" but not "adapted". I've only read the translated volumes of Hyouka (1-2) and I think the staff did a pretty good job adapting it. It's not only the matter of better or worse but knowing how to use the advantage of the medium. For example, in the novel the author can make an explanation longer with little to no impact on the reader, while an anime viewer will be bored by the same amount of text. On the other hand, we can see all the body languages in the anime. They really took advantage of that in Hyouka.
Hyper is offline  
Old 2012-09-27, 00:52   Link #175
Zeriand
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
It's not just bad, it's very bad. The practice has come to poison viewers that a lot of them can't even differentiate whether an anime is good or bad. My favorite scene is animated = insta 10/10, while totally ignoring that the fact that it was animated horribly and had projected none of the feelings that should've been there.

In fact, most episodes of current running series such as Muv Luv Total Eclipse and SAO are exactly like that - though SAO did not have budget issues and thus is a lot more watchable - but if we compare them to Hyouka, they didn't even come close in terms of pure quality.
Zeriand is offline  
Old 2012-09-27, 00:57   Link #176
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriand View Post
It's not just bad, it's very bad. The practice has come to poison viewers that a lot of them can't even differentiate whether an anime is good or bad. My favorite scene is animated = insta 10/10, while totally ignoring that the fact that it was animated horribly and had projected none of the feelings that should've been there.
Actually (and not to take this too far off-topic)... there may be some people that are like that, but I've found that there are just as many (if not more) who complain endlessly whenever the anime makes the slightest deviation from the source material, whether or not there might have been a good reason for the modification. So I think it sort of goes both ways. Your source material fans can be your biggest cheerleaders, but also your biggest critics. (And in both of those cases, objectivity is somewhat in question... )

With this franchise, we didn't get a lot of that either way because the franchise was generally unknown (in English circles, particularly), and you're working with a very highly-regarded staff who are unlikely to be doubted.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline  
Old 2012-09-27, 02:41   Link #177
Hyper
Irregular Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 27
To go back on Hyouka, this conversation remind me about the first instant Hyouka caught my attention (aside of KyoAni doing it, admittedly). It was Yonezawa-san comments to the anime and the fan here. I couldn't pin it down at the time, but now I think what caught my attention was he didn't say the usual "I'm glad to see them moving" but "When Oreki and the others, who only existed on paper, finally take shape and begin to move, I wonder how the feel of their tale will change." It showed that he and the staff really focus on adapting rather than just animating the story.

I think the "animating" part is mechanical. Anyone with enough money can make high quality animations. The art of an anime lies on how to "adapt" the source material (if there is one). What can be kept or discarded. Which scene can be enhanced by the pictures and which scene has to be modified because it doesn't fit the anime format, and so on. I think Yonezawa-san comment was on the spot. The moment his work became an anime, it has already changed. What needs to be done is taking advantage of that. While I have not read the novel on this one, I think this last episode is a good example. The pink hue, the gust of wind, the music, and the falling sakura really enhanced that last scene.

(See, I finally get back on the topic )
Hyper is offline  
Old 2012-09-27, 11:21   Link #178
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
To go back on Hyouka, this conversation remind me about the first instant Hyouka caught my attention (aside of KyoAni doing it, admittedly). It was Yonezawa-san comments to the anime and the fan here. I couldn't pin it down at the time, but now I think what caught my attention was he didn't say the usual "I'm glad to see them moving" but "When Oreki and the others, who only existed on paper, finally take shape and begin to move, I wonder how the feel of their tale will change." It showed that he and the staff really focus on adapting rather than just animating the story.

I think the "animating" part is mechanical. Anyone with enough money can make high quality animations. The art of an anime lies on how to "adapt" the source material (if there is one). What can be kept or discarded. Which scene can be enhanced by the pictures and which scene has to be modified because it doesn't fit the anime format, and so on. I think Yonezawa-san comment was on the spot. The moment his work became an anime, it has already changed. What needs to be done is taking advantage of that. While I have not read the novel on this one, I think this last episode is a good example. The pink hue, the gust of wind, the music, and the falling sakura really enhanced that last scene.

(See, I finally get back on the topic )
I totally agree with this point--I've read a chunk of the novels translated into english, and while there are a few places where I prefer it to the anime, the anime truly does take advantage of the visual medium to evoke emotions in a way that's awfully hard to do in print--especially when translated from Japanese to English. I haven't read the novel equivalent of ep. 22, but it's very much my impression that the visuals you cite are things distinctive to the anime adaptation.
Aquifina is offline  
Old 2012-09-27, 11:22   Link #179
Ruby Princess
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 24
What elements of the novels do you prefer to the anime, Aquifina-kun?
Ruby Princess is offline  
Old 2012-09-27, 12:31   Link #180
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Princess View Post
What elements of the novels do you prefer to the anime, Aquifina-kun?
I don't want to push this thread too far off-topic, so my reply is here.
Aquifina is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.