AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-30, 11:45   Link #2301
Dop
We can't stop here...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
I've enjoyed this series much more than I'd ever expected to, and while the final analysis will have to wait until the last batch of episodes come through, and we see if overall the plot made sense, I thought it was one of the better shows of last season.

After the last few Shin Oonuma shows which I could not stick, this (to me) confirms my suspicion that he's a much better director when he stops trying to be Shinbo.

Of course it could all fall down in the last four episodes. I think whether the ending actually makes sense or not (and I think we need to know Heartseed's rationale) will decide whether the series on the whole is good or just OK.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 11:48   Link #2302
kazzuya13
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
The biggest question is left at the ending when Nagase Iori said:"Do I really love him"
Furthermore the theory of every action has a reaction meaning that even though it doesn't explain there is always a reason as to why they turned the way they turned out. "You" can't be the current "You"without the encounters in your past and every moment that past creat the present of oneself.
To make it short there has to be a reason why Heartseed is doing this and why Taichi is a selfless freak. and this is just my theory but from my experience of watching and reading. The answer always lies in the past meaning before the story even began.

And I wonder what their next arc will be about?...
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-30, 19:37   Link #2303
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoiro Nguyen View Post
It's a cultural thing, I guess. Japan's moral code is pretty different of the USA's.

In Japan, teachers have huge respect from people.
So Inaba's mom trust Gotou because he's her daughter's homeroom teacher and he wouldn't do anything to Himeko.

Well, that's just a wild guess.
Ummm.... In the USA, teachers, like anyone else, are strangers to most of the parents. They are not like close friends or relatives, where a trust is built. Considering a lot of the teacher stories you would hear in the news, it is understandable why leaving a teacher alone with a student in the bedroom is not a good idea. At most, they could have a conversation in the living room/family room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudding321 View Post
Besides, parents don't believe in the teachers. They want their kids to have the same moral values as them so they can be obedient and make decisions of their like. Well, I don't live in USA. I'm just guessing, really.
Well, partially true. Teachers have their own agendas and values, and they don't necessarily align with the parents. However, parents are not as concerned with keeping the same values in the conversation at their home, but they are definitely more concerned about any physical or mental afflictions cause by the meeting. They just want to make sure nothing goes out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
Seriously, Taichi. It's not like they injected you with truth serum. They would have believed him if he just said something bad will happen if he talks. See, this is what I don't like in anime. When characters do stupid things not because they have to, but because they can.
Although Taichi definitely deserves some blame for admitting everything, it was Inaba's perception and adamant persistence that initiated it. Sometimes, she is too intelligent for her own good. However, her pressure is also something that can be overbearing and too much for Taichi to handle. They both deserve to share the blame.

This show has been a pleasant watching from day one. It is definitely one of the better shows this season. I never realised how much complaining about the show was until I read the last few pages. In general, I've stayed away from this thread, and it definitely helped with my enjoyment of the show. It was a fun, slice of life show, with a little drama thrown in between. It did not try to be more than what it is, although it did get a little over-dramatized sometimes, but overall, a fun series. I'm looking forward to the next arc, which will hopefully resolve the love triangle that we currently have (although right now, it's more Taichi loves Iori, Inaba loves Taichi, and Iori is still searching for her feelings).
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 00:55   Link #2304
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Salvage is awesome, can't wait for the single. However, I still prefer Kokoro no Kana; it just worked so well in the anime.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 01:48   Link #2305
APNki
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
The Blu-rays are going to have use a different opening theme: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-opening-theme
APNki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 02:38   Link #2306
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Serious? Then what's the point of... ??

EDIT:

After reading the article... Aren't they using that new OP now? Because they've only mentioned the first OP...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 03:07   Link #2307
MasterVampire
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
The series was not bad.

I wish they did more ecchi or fanservice with the bodyswapping.
I also wish they did the romance better.
And also cut out all that emo stuff which was happening in the middle.
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 03:57   Link #2308
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I can see that there are a lot of ways in which Kokoro Connect tries to break conventions you see in typical harem/VNs. Taichi's White Knighting isn't made out to be the best thing in the world. Aoki's "ineffective wingman" issue is actually dealt with and later turns out to have his own issues. The girl's various issues are either more mundane than they initially appear to be or are things they have to resolve mostly on their own rather than through a typical VN MC's white knighting. The fact that there is actually more than two female characters in love with the MC is a source of conflict for both rather than "harem hijinks" lulz.

The problem is that whilst the story tries hard to break conventions, it ends up more or less falling into the other typical conventions in doing so. Taichi's White Knighting has (so far) been given the same old answer: It may not be entirely altruistic but still worth doing anyway. Aoki becomes less of a wingman and more of a character in his own right but thanks to the show's narrative and direction, he still never actually has a scene without Taichi in it and still ends up lacking that necessary amount of autonomy. The girl's issues being mundane generally come across as anti-climactic rather than convention breaking thanks to the way the drama is built up so straight and the love triangle is dealt with in a typically optimistic and safely ambiguous "let's have it both ways!"

All this is perfectly illustrated when so much drama is built up with Iori realising her identity (which i thought was excellent), only for us to find out that the whole initial cause of the conflict ended up being based on a simple misunderstanding and there was never any real threat to begin with (A total anti-climax so they could play things safe again)

In the end I still enjoy this show a lot and want to see the remaining episodes. But I really do wish it would be a bit more consistent.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 04:26   Link #2309
Gohan78
Awakened One
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northern Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzuya13 View Post
The biggest question is left at the ending when Nagase Iori said:"Do I really love him"
Yeah, I think that this question validates Iori's behaviour in the second arc. At first she wanted to keep the status quo with Taichi despite their mutual confession. Later she allowed Inaba to enter the race for Taichi's heart. I think that Iori isn't sure if her feelings for Taichi are genuine or just another mask that she put on to please him.

Kako Random definitely needed a fourth episode because this finale was rushed. I didn't like that Taichi spilled the beans so easily. They could have showed the other clubmates pressuring him, instead he folded immediately. Then Iori's family problem, which was hinted several times in previous episodes, was solved too easily.

Despite these flaws, I still enjoyed this arc because it put the spotlight on Yui and Aoki, who definitely needed more screentime.
I won't make a final judgment on KC because the last 4 episodes are rightfully part of the series. So far I think that it's an above average show who tried to do something different from the usual school drama anime but it didn't capitalize on its interesting premises. At the very least it wasn't random harem anime #147658.
__________________
Tibi, magnum Innominandum,
signa stellarum nigrarum
et bufaniformis Sadoquae sigilim.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 08:08   Link #2310
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Saitama, Japan
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
The last arc was definitely a major letdown to me compared to what Kokoroco had to offer the first two arcs.
Really, the issues brought regarding Aoki/Yui relationship and Iori's family issue were so mundanely solved that I agree with Flawfinder that it is borderline an insult.
It isn't helped by the fact we still don't have any idea what's the deal with Heartseed, worsened by the introduction of n°2 (to which seems to be a "simple" rogue factor that will not be addressed ever again).

At this point, the series really failed to execute a proper development for the 3 aforementioned characters: surely, due to Aoki's persistent attitude, one would wonder why he is so attached to Yui (whereas enough food for thought was given for the apparent attraction between Iori and Taichi), but at this point, the gimmick used to flesh this out was really forceful, which isn't even complimented by a remotely realistic conclusion.

Yui was also affected by this arc, with the introduction of a hell pushy character, which in the end really didn't bring up an important fact whatsoever. Hell, it wasn't really helped with Aoki's part being weirdly entwined in the lot.

Iori's problem was even worse, considering how laughable the situation was presented: true that you would expect family tension with the given situation and that Iori wouldn't be prone to talk with her friends about that, which was legitimately hinted thorough the series.
However, the solution was an abysmal copout, managing to squeeze a plaguing issue to a comic relief (if any violent and abusive husband would chicken out the moment their abused wife yells a bit, the world would be definitely less crippled by abused wife cases). It is even worse when the series uses a sledgehammer to show how the family problem gnawed Iori's very lifestyle and personality, even making a "back to square one" option alluring, to finally get "that".

Really, the series had a very good momentum during the first arc, and could keep the steam up on the second arc (albeit various little complains, mainly Aoki being useless, Fujishima's non serious interventions and Taichi being shown as a "flawed good guy" without really any substance shown in there), but in the end, it just crashed and burned to me.
Hell, it actually did so at the very end of the second arc, with the "happy love triangle" despite how uneasy it is, and how it magically disappeared thereafter.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-10-01 at 08:27.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 08:22   Link #2311
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
I'm just hoping things are picked up in he fourth arc. Frankly this one was a bit too rushed for my liking.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 08:52   Link #2312
Lantern
<(゜∀。)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Flying in the Air
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I'm just hoping things are picked up in he fourth arc. Frankly this one was a bit too rushed for my liking.
I hope so too.

Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:


The only thing I'm worried now is whether 4 episodes will be enough for Michi...

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-01 at 11:01.
Lantern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 09:05   Link #2313
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Serious? Then what's the point of... ??

EDIT:

After reading the article... Aren't they using that new OP now? Because they've only mentioned the first OP...
Sounds like the producers decided to ditch eufonius altogether and that means not only dumping them from the last two episodes but erasing their participation in the series as a whole.

We have always been at war with Eastasia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The last arc was definitely a major letdown to me compared to what Kokoroco had to offer the first two arcs.
While I'd rank the first arc as the best, I found the second arc a letdown and the third a mild recovery. I just didn't find "lowering your inhibitions" that interesting a trick since it basically made them act like characters from 90210 or The OC.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 09:31   Link #2314
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Earth...hopefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The last arc was definitely a major letdown to me compared to what Kokoroco had to offer the first two arcs.
Really, the issues brought regarding Aoki/Yui relationship and Iori's family issue were so mundanely solved that I agree with Flawfinder that it is borderline an insult.
Yay, someone who reads my blog

Anyways, I look at the three arcs like the first three seasons of Glee. First arc, I didn't like, but I do get the appeal somewhat. Second arc was bad and failed to live up to the ideas of the first arc. Third arc was just crap. Someone put it best when they said they should have just stuck with the body swapping idea and ran with that for 13 episodes.
__________________

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 10:03   Link #2315
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Israel
Age: 18
I disagree, I think the rest of the arcs were good as well.

Well, finished the TV anime. Now to wait for someone to get their hands on the Blue Ray. ):
__________________
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 12:25   Link #2316
maximilianjenus
[E]
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I agree on what seems to be the common view, this show is like a swimmer who is winning most of the race the forget to swim back when the rest of the swimmers do and ends up not even finishing the race. the set up was great, the explored themes were nice, but a lto fo the characters felt cartoonish and several fo the ways to sovle problems were from dumb (kick in the nuts ) to downright insulting (a motehr and child who llve each other enough to forget about themselves yeet can't speak for more than 2 minutes). I am glad I stopped reccomending this series but I did nto really feel like dropping it.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 12:36   Link #2317
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
"Do I really love Taegashi Taichi?"

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS D:

Forget everything else that happened in the episode. That line alone has me even more hooked for the last four eps.
__________________
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 13:09   Link #2318
Mimi-Senpai
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nyeh
Here's the problem with the anime in my opinion: It wasn't adapted the way it should have been. Because in the inner Kokoro Connect series it's acutely commendable and flows the right way. However, I have to admit that the anime did lack a few aspect that the Studio didn't bother to add, which lead to a dispute with the skeptical congregation. The series could have been a 24 eps season with 6 eps covering each arc. I know, it might of slow the pace but it's the most penetrating procedure to please the audience and their inquiry and avoid the tense of feeling it was rush and their annoying feedback later on ( where I wish I could break a wall through the internet and punch them directly into their face ).

Here's is where I believe the Studio didn't failed : Seiyuus, I really like each seiyuu and they did an egregious engagement with their voice range, (especially Miyuki Sawashiro & Aki Toyosaki). OP & ED, the first OP is alright with me but what really caught my attention where the ED. I believe they did a great job ( though we're still missing ED 4 ) with them and the method of switching the ED with each arc.

Here's what alter me with the Studio: Art, it wasn't horrible but seriously....Why would you guys not care about the art? Though, in times it was alright but I believe it could have been better and it should be better, because in their PV the art was different and warming. OST, I like each soundtrack but they could of add more. They repeated a few so many time in one eps, lol. Adaption, bitches, you know you could of gone with the flow ~ . Anyways, I'm really picky with animes art, ost, and dialogues and the story and god, I could go on. But comparing The melancholy of haruhi suzumiya adaption with kyoto animation with Sliver Link, Kokoro Connect deserves more sophisticated attention with their novel. But more important it is my favorite phenomenon series both in and outside of the anime/manga/lightnovel world with my favorite themes of psychology and philosophy. Thank you for adding more weight to my chronic stress, and you too, Bertrand Russell.
__________________


“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

Last edited by Mimi-Senpai; 2012-10-01 at 13:57.
Mimi-Senpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 13:24   Link #2319
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Earth...hopefully
I mentioned the art/animation on my own blog, but here's what I thought of it: It was also neutered. I've never liked Silver Link's stuff, but I did recognize their stylistic animation. This anime put the animation in the opening and ending, but in the actual anime itself, there was almost none of it.
__________________

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-01, 13:40   Link #2320
Mimi-Senpai
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nyeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawfinder View Post
I mentioned the art/animation on my own blog, but here's what I thought of it: It was also neutered. I've never liked Silver Link's stuff, but I did recognize their stylistic animation. This anime put the animation in the opening and ending, but in the actual anime itself, there was almost none of it.

Here's a funny concept, I never came across to your blog, lolz. However, having Akiyuki Shinbo as assistant director in Silver Link I would expect better with KC. He did an awesome job with Negima!? (spin off), Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Maho Sensei Negima!: Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba ( i know, long title, ah, Ken ) , Dance in the Vampire Bund, ect, in his Shaft work. I guess Silver Link didn't knew with that they were getting into. Because Yukiko Horiguchi art is freaking pulchritudinous in anime : K-on and Lucky Star; her novel illustration, too. If you compare the anime and LN illustration of KC, you'll see the alteration. Hopefully, if Second season occurs, I hope Silver Link does a better job, or, a better studio adapts it. And I can't judge Silver Link's other work, I still have Baka and Test to watch but don't have the time since I'm dealing with my other fandoms, work, social life, and college.. -_-

Spoiler for Link to the art that I mean...:
__________________


“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
Mimi-Senpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.