AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 04
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 61 32.11%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 59 31.05%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 42 22.11%
7 out of 10: Good... 19 10.00%
6 out of 10: Average... 4 2.11%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 0 0%
4 out of 10: Poor... 4 2.11%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 1 0.53%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-08-03, 11:06   Link #301
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Possible, though I'd be rather surprised. If he didn't want compensation in the first place wouldn't expect him to ask for the stuff back. Besides if he does want to see her again in the real world best to leave her in a state where she's got the best chance to survive and that'd be with good items. Considering he'll be fighting on the frontlines losing a few pieces of equipment (that is probably far below his level anyways) won't be an issue. In the end think this event was worth giving up some equipment for Kirito. Helped that guild leader out and got to help smooth out some personal feelings about his sister (well technically cousin). Nothing wrong with helping a friend out by leaving them in a better state than you found them.

Of course in the end probably would never actually know. Since when we see her again if she does have the same equipment could be she managed to acquire it herself or if she doesn't then she found better equipment and has the items safely in her inventory. Think it fits more with Kirito's feelings at the end of the episode to leave things as they are and head on back to the front lines.
lol I doubt he was lending them to her. Its good to give even on MMOs. Even on life and death MMOs XD This SAO is like Diablo III on hardcore hero mode(which is how I play all of the Diablo games).

Anyway as for the frontlines. I hope we get to see an episode of what the frontlines actually are. I mean is it a war zone. Like Call of Duty.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 11:49   Link #302
Xacual
The color of a Hero
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordblazer View Post
Anyway as for the frontlines. I hope we get to see an episode of what the frontlines actually are. I mean is it a war zone. Like Call of Duty.
I think you're thinking of it the wrong way. SAO is based on clearing a 100 floor tower and beating the boss of every floor, not some kind of warlike activity. The frontlines in episodes 1 and 2 was floor 1 because that's as far as they had gotten up the tower at the start. Since Kirito has a house on the 50th floor we know the frontlines are now past that somewhere, on some floor 50+.
__________________
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 13:01   Link #303
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I think you're thinking of it the wrong way. SAO is based on clearing a 100 floor tower and beating the boss of every floor, not some kind of warlike activity. The frontlines in episodes 1 and 2 was floor 1 because that's as far as they had gotten up the tower at the start. Since Kirito has a house on the 50th floor we know the frontlines are now past that somewhere, on some floor 50+.
No, I understand clearly. I am using an analogy. Not so much saying it is warlike, but in how the players talk about it, it might as well be a war zone because of the level of unknowns on each floor. The players behind get the benefit of having knowledge of what lies ahead, and strategies to successfully clear those challenges. The front line players don't get this luxury. It's succeed or die, with no advance knowledge of what they will be facing. That's pretty much warlike to me, that's what I call a battlefield/conflict zone. I dunno. I'm thinking too much about it because of my field IRL is conflict analysis. Soo everytime I'm in a conflict zone. There is for me a level of unknown and a lot of it has to do with the fact that our security during research may not be enough. Soo in this way I kinda can relate to this anime XD


Anyway what I am curious about is how come the gov'ts in this series can't just get all the patients in one area and use a short-range emp blast to get them out of the game safely?
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 13:51   Link #304
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I'm pretty sure the survivors of the front line have learned to run away, and are confident in their ability to retreat in good order when it starts to look tough...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 13:54   Link #305
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordblazer View Post

Anyway what I am curious about is how come the gov'ts in this series can't just get all the patients in one area and use a short-range emp blast to get them out of the game safely?
because if it doesn't work thousands of kids will die.

Name a politician who is willing give that kind of order?
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 13:59   Link #306
Sute443
Sasaki-ist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordblazer View Post
Anyway what I am curious about is how come the gov'ts in this series can't just get all the patients in one area and use a short-range emp blast to get them out of the game safely?
I've been wondering that since the first episode. My solution is to think that the helmets are hardened against EMP.
__________________
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 14:15   Link #307
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
I've been wondering that since the first episode. My solution is to think that the helmets are hardened against EMP.
Well I guess, this begs the question as to how such technology is available for civilian use? I also am curious if the EMP fails and kills a bunch of ppl, I dunno, It'll put an end to the madness and well yea collateral damage and what not. I'm pretty sure a hardlined political party might have more interest in holding the company and the creator accountable. Maybe we should write a LN series that parallels this but in a more Ghost In the Shell style (political thriller). I dunno.. Anyway it's a bit off topic.

I am looking forward to episode 5 tomorrow, and I do hope they show the lead group because it will be interesting to see the unique challenges they face. I am sure the casualty rate is highest among them.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 14:34   Link #308
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordblazer View Post
Well I guess, this begs the question as to how such technology is available for civilian use?
EM shielding isn't some military secret. Just look at the door of your microwave and notice the mesh screen -- that's there to prevent the microwaves from escaping. It's entirely plausible that whatever technology NervGear uses to scan the brain needs to be protected from outside interference and the device would be shielded as a matter of course.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 21:04   Link #309
supermegasonic
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
also the fact that this is the future, so stuff for us that might be hard to get is easy enough for them.

i think its better to think of it like this; the scientist found every possible way of breaking his own machine, and he put steps to measure against all of them
__________________
supermegasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 23:18   Link #310
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordblazer View Post
Well I guess, this begs the question as to how such technology is available for civilian use? I also am curious if the EMP fails and kills a bunch of ppl, I dunno, It'll put an end to the madness and well yea collateral damage and what not. I'm pretty sure a hardlined political party might have more interest in holding the company and the creator accountable. Maybe we should write a LN series that parallels this but in a more Ghost In the Shell style (political thriller). I dunno.. Anyway it's a bit off topic.
That just gave me an idea for a SAO/GITS crossover, with the Major and her crew vs.
the mad scientist as they try to save the gamers.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 23:30   Link #311
styr
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 28
I've always thought that SAO could potentially be a predecessor for the system used in The Matrix by the machines that controlled humans by imprisoning them within a virtual prison.

Very similar, I believe. Kinda scary if you think about it. Instead of Kayaba, it is sentient machines holding the majority of the human race in a SAO like environment.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 23:35   Link #312
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post
I've always thought that SAO could potentially be a predecessor for the system used in The Matrix by the machines that controlled humans by imprisoning them within a virtual prison.

Very similar, I believe. Kinda scary if you think about it. Instead of Kayaba, it is sentient machines holding the majority of the human race in a SAO like environment.
If they make it out of the game alive, I wonder how much physical therapy the gamers
will require before they can walk around normally again? Their bodies have been idle/comatose
for a LONG time.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 00:55   Link #313
Eratas123
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Scicila's 13, right? Makes me wonder how young some of the other players are.
__________________
Eratas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 05:00   Link #314
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: At the darkness beyond time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
EM shielding isn't some military secret. Just look at the door of your microwave and notice the mesh screen -- that's there to prevent the microwaves from escaping. It's entirely plausible that whatever technology NervGear uses to scan the brain needs to be protected from outside interference and the device would be shielded as a matter of course.
It is said that the nerve gear works trough microwaves, wich could be nullified with emp, since there isn't a direct link with the brain, there's no way to protect the signal, arguably any side effects of using a emp would prevent them from risking more lives in the game, this taking a realist approach, but this is like asking why didn't gandalf flew frodo to mordor.
__________________
zeniselv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 07:01   Link #315
Esebian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
It is said that the nerve gear works trough microwaves, wich could be nullified with emp, since there isn't a direct link with the brain, there's no way to protect the signal, arguably any side effects of using a emp would prevent them from risking more lives in the game, this taking a realist approach, but this is like asking why didn't gandalf flew frodo to mordor.
Actually for EMP-shielding a some micrometer thick metal foil is enough and every weak EMP would be worn off. Problem is if you make it strong enough for overcoming the metal foil it is unknown what happens to the brain, if they are unlucky the same thing like with the microwaves would happen -> noone will try this

And this foil could be easily integrated in the helmet, it only must be isolated from the electronics of the helmet.

And also I think the same as you, this is an Anime, no documentation It's fine to ask about the backstory but criticizing it only because you don't believe it could happen is a bit over the top xD
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 14:54   Link #316
Adigard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Scicila's 13, right? Makes me wonder how young some of the other players are.
Depending on how well the anime adapts the story, you'll find out the exact answer sooner or later. But that's a spoiler for a different thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordblazer View Post
Anyway what I am curious about is how come the gov'ts in this series can't just get all the patients in one area and use a short-range emp blast to get them out of the game safely?
The anime has utterly avoided any mention of the real world (other than a few scenes during the tutorial in Ep1), so in SAO the player's are left to wonder what's going on outside. Honestly that's probably better all around, because it instills a lot of "who knows" for everyone involved.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 18:48   Link #317
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sullivan County, NY
Age: 38
WOW~!!!

No one he was helping died this episode. In fact, someone got brought back to life!

What series am I watching, suddenly...!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
If they make it out of the game alive, I wonder how much physical therapy the gamers will require before they can walk around normally again? Their bodies have been idle/comatose
for a LONG time.
This is anime... As soon as they get out they will spring back up and be all good. No metal scars required, either.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-08-05 at 12:06. Reason: double post...
PonSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 10:53   Link #318
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
a loli appeared

warming-heart episode....
although the time skip is still little too much for me
in episode 3, Kirito is still lvl 48
now, he's lvl 70...

I'm looking forward to see Silica again in future episodes... too bad that she got sister-zoned by Kirito
__________________

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 16:09   Link #319
Hagoshod
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
Okay let's see what's going on over in episode 4.

And it's.... the sick pet episode? Really? The sick pet episode? Someone has a sick / dying / dead pet and the characters need to journey to some isolated magical MacGuffin in the middle of a difficult dungeon and bring it back to revive the pet? Wasn't it enough when .hack already did this episode TWICE?

I know people defend this show by saying no no no you've got it wrong it's not really a straight .hack clone because it has a completely different set up and it's just set in the same genre. But it's not helping when it's doing stuff like this.
Quote:
Sure, and I totally didn't watch Transformers: Dark of the Moon before I wrote http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7253681/1/Betrayal_Redux
This is how Shadohog feels about things.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 11:09   Link #320
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
I guess it is the only episode where I don't have much to complain about except the obvious... RUSHED!
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekly episode discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.