AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-02, 08:10   Link #1
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
One Piece - Chapter 683 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

---

Full chapter spoilers have been released a little early.

Quote:
-Monet traps Luffy in a giant igloo (which he is having trouble escaping from). She acknowledges that she could not defeat Luffy in a physical fight, so she attempts to put him to sleep by lowering his core temperatures to knock him out. Luffy escapes by breaking through the floor, falling into the ventilation ducts below. Monet leaves the scene.

-Meanwhile, Chopper, having mastered Monster Point, is using the form to try and prevent the children from consuming their "candy" and irreversibly damaging themselves. Since he refuses to harm the kids, they quickly overwhelm him and attempt to gain the candy.

-Finally, Law confronts Vergo and attempts to retake his heart, but Vergo stays one step ahead of Law and subdues the Shichibukai. Once Law is K.O.d, Smoker appears. Chapter ends.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-10-02 at 09:20.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 08:37   Link #2
Trax
Rock beats scissors
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
So... Luffy doesn't actually get to fight Monet, but some other Strawhats probably will. I doubt Luffy will be stuck down there for long, but who will his real opponent be?

Law got his ass kicked by Vergo, but now it's Smoker's turn at last. Should be interesting.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 08:47   Link #3
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
I hope I can see Law put on more fight... but looks like it won't happen before he got back his heart...
kick Vergo's ass, Smoker... it's been a while since last time I see Smoker's fight
__________________

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 11:10   Link #4
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Any reason why Luffy didn't attack Monet, other than the possible reason of her being a girl?
__________________
vansonbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 11:53   Link #5
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Any reason why Luffy didn't attack Monet, other than the possible reason of her being a girl?
well, she was hugging him.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 12:23   Link #6
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Any reason why Luffy didn't attack Monet...
Because he is wondering if he should ask her to join the crew .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 12:23   Link #7
itachi-san314
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
dang, law got trounced. it is weird seeing him hatless =) i'm really looking forward to the smoker vergo battle!
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 12:24   Link #8
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Because he is wondering if he should ask her to join the crew .
I would love that, but didn't the author somewhere stated he would avoid adding careless to many crew members, especially one that can fly constantly in a sailing adventure series.

The chance's are slim and I feel she could be a potential victim of the bird man
__________________
vansonbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 12:39   Link #9
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Wow, I'm kinda surprised that I haven't seen an explosion of "OMG, Law with no hatz!!!" around here.


Anyways, cool chapter. We pretty much DO have confirmation that Monet has a snow-based power, and the fact that Vergo kicked Law's ass further cements just how powerful Doflamingo's top officers are. But now the long-awaited VA vs. VA duel is about to begin.....


As far as the ministory goes, I'm almost 100% certain that G5 is gonna destroy Coribou's ship with little effort.
marvelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 13:01   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

Anyways, cool chapter. We pretty much DO have confirmation that Monet has a snow-based power, and the fact that Vergo kicked Law's ass further cements just how powerful Doflamingo's top officers are. But now the long-awaited VA vs. VA duel is about to begin.....
Vergo does have Law's heart...
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 13:05   Link #11
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
^Yeah, but even putting that aside, he still smacked him around even without squeezing the heart (using armor haki, rokushiki, etc).
marvelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 13:57   Link #12
ZGoten
Custom User Title
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Wow, I'm kinda surprised that I haven't seen an explosion of "OMG, Law with no hatz!!!" around here.
Thank goodness for that. There's too much Law love around here anyway. I'm not particularly fond of the guy.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited to see the fight between Smoker and Vergo, because I finally want to see what else Smoker can do with his devil fruit besides ... becomming smoke. From what we've seen so far of his powers, it would be pretty save to assume that he has the weakest logia abilities of the series. I mean even Caribou showed more creative use and just overall effectiveness with his slime powers. I hope Smoker can prove us wrong.
__________________
Truth is elusive to those who refuse to see with both eyes.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 15:00   Link #13
Rainbowman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 1431 Highland Drive
If Monet's snow powers are from a Devil Fruit, I'd say it might be paramecium. Only saying this out of speculation of course. Predictions for next week: Law recovers from that last K.O. to help Smoker against Vergo.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 15:00   Link #14
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Raftel
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE Send a message via Skype™ to SOGESNAKE
Wow, it was actually really weird for me to see Law without his hat. Guess it's time no to see how strong Smoker has gotten in a somewhat fairer fight without him losing his heart or the lack of air. Thouuuugh... I do think this fight will actually become Smoker & Law vs Vergo eventually.
__________________
SOGESNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 15:45   Link #15
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Guess it's time no to see how strong Smoker has gotten in a somewhat fairer fight without him losing his heart or the lack of air.

Except that Smoker STILL lacks his heart, remember? It's just that CC hasn't done anything to it so far (and may the good lord help Smokey if Caesar suddenly decides to inject some hazardous chemicals into that heart at some point).....
marvelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 15:58   Link #16
The Small One
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Germany
Hm, what if Smoker decides to finish off Law first before going against Vergo?
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 16:04   Link #17
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^Yeah, but even putting that aside, he still smacked him around even without squeezing the heart (using armor haki, rokushiki, etc).
By the time we saw Law and Vergo, the fight was already in progress (evident in how Law was damaged). For all we know, Vergo could have been squeezing Law's heart prior to what we witnessed, which led to Law being at a disadvantage and getting overwhelmed subsequently. Don't forget that Law used counter shock which did noticeable harm to Vergo. By all accounts, Vergo doesn't really strike me as being vastly superior to Law, and by extension Smoker as well.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 16:10   Link #18
Mateus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
So I wonder if the ones who had been referring to Vergo in chapters past as a fake or an imposter are just in denial or if he really is a clone/fake.
__________________
Account closing soon, found original account, thanks.
Mateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 16:13   Link #19
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
So I wonder if the ones who had been referring to Vergo in chapters past as a fake or an imposter are just in denial or if he really is a clone/fake.
They're just in denial. Vergo is simply an asshole that tricked many people. But that's to be expected since he works for Doflamingo.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 16:38   Link #20
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
By the time we saw Law and Vergo, the fight was already in progress (evident in how Law was damaged). For all we know, Vergo could have been squeezing Law's heart prior to what we witnessed, which led to Law being at a disadvantage and getting overwhelmed subsequently. Don't forget that Law used counter shock which did noticeable harm to Vergo. By all accounts, Vergo doesn't really strike me as being vastly superior to Law, and by extension Smoker as well.

While you certainly make a good point here, I just sort of felt that Vergo was the superior one here precisely BECAUSE he withstood Law's Counter Shock. That, and he was fighting on fairly equal ground with Sanji prior to breaking his leg, so I'm definitely feeling his strength is the real deal here (I know you pointed out before that Sanji most likely wasn't at his best against Vergo either due to the injuries he sustained when Nami was swapped with him, but still).



Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Hm, what if Smoker decides to finish off Law first before going against Vergo?

That wouldn't really make any sense. Mainly because Smoker (and even us, the audience) still doesn't have a clear idea of Law's motives at PH in the first place. He was able to crack down on Crocodile at Alabasta because Croc straight-up confessed his plans to him. The same can't be said for Law, who's even being targeted by his own former crew now.....


Simply put, Smoker just can't go around arresting/killing them warlords left and right without good reason, y'know.
marvelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.