AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-06, 13:07   Link #1641
Esebian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvdFlcgX-08

Spoiler scenes and new op and ed song samples too.
Rly good both the OP and the ED and actually now I'm quite fired up for the kendo fight
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 13:21   Link #1642
Deltaray
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 21
Just noticed how stupid Recon looks like, wonder if he just sucks at avatar editing.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 13:25   Link #1643
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
No, he spent a huge amount of money to look exactly like that. On the other hand, nobody takes the guy who can be ANYWHERE, unseen, seriously when he looks like that.
__________________
- Kicking it old school.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 13:42   Link #1644
Netto Azure
→ Asada Shino
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space Battle Cruiser Gurokken
I don't mind Recon's avatar. Great for blending in lol considering his specialty.
__________________
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 13:46   Link #1645
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Yeah, I like the upcoming OP and ED themes too, possibly more than the first OP and ED. The second ED at least definitely sounds better than the first.

Unfortunately I'm not looking particularly forward to damsel-in-distress-ified Asuna for the rest of the series. I was holding onto the one-in-a-million chance that they might change it up, but it looks plenty like it'll turn out just like the novels, as I expected.
I still don't see why the story called for her being changed from a combat character in Aincrad to a princess locked in a cage for ALO. I can think of at least one good way to do the story and keep Asuna in combat while keeping the story about Sugou trying to NTR her into marrying him and such, and that's just off the top of my head.

I'm just not a big fan of how Japanese anime generally tends to view the damsel in distress schtick as the end-all-be-all method of doing a good story.
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 13:46   Link #1646
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
He looks exactly like someone who got screwed over by the random features sliders.
__________________
- Kicking it old school.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 13:53   Link #1647
Esebian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Yeah, I like the upcoming OP and ED themes too, possibly more than the first OP and ED. The second ED at least definitely sounds better than the first.

Unfortunately I'm not looking particularly forward to damsel-in-distress-ified Asuna for the rest of the series. I was holding onto the one-in-a-million chance that they might change it up, but it looks plenty like it'll turn out just like the novels, as I expected.
I still don't see why the story called for her being changed from a combat character in Aincrad to a princess locked in a cage for ALO. I can think of at least one good way to do the story and keep Asuna in combat while keeping the story about Sugou trying to NTR her into marrying him and such, and that's just off the top of my head.

I'm just not a big fan of how Japanese anime generally tends to view the damsel in distress schtick as the end-all-be-all method of doing a good story.
Well unlike the normal damsel in distress she at least tries to break free and (by the keycard) plays a major role for her rescue but ye she MAYBE could have done more
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 13:53   Link #1648
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
This is also why Kirito and Asuna survive. Ten seconds hadn't passed, and the clear conditions included 'fixing everyone's health at maximum' .. TECHNICALLY, the last boss lived too. He just fried his brain through a different method.
Hm, when were those clear conditions announced or whatever?
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 13:55   Link #1649
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esebian View Post
Well unlike the normal damsel in distress she at least tries to break free and (by the keycard) plays a major role for her rescue but ye she MAYBE could have done more
Well as I said I can think of a story scenario the author of the novels could have done that would keep the plot of Sugou trying to marry her and get her family's company while keeping her a combat character travelling through ALO with Kirito. Thus I don't see why Asuna had to be plot-limited to making futile attempts and merely helping with her rescue in the first place.
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:00   Link #1650
Esebian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Hm, when were those clear conditions announced or whatever?
Hmm? We somehow seem to change the meanings of some words XD The only clear condition of the game was reaching the 100th floor and beating the last boss, from what happens afterwards was only announced that all alive players would be set free, well those who had their 10 secs running most probably were rescued aswell as they were still ingame but that isn't stated somewhere so that are just my thoughts
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:00   Link #1651
NoirX
寂然のキツネ
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Send a message via Skype™ to NoirX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Hm, when were those clear conditions announced or whatever?
In LN, it's on Vol.2 (Black Cats SS), it also got mentioned in the anime version of Black Cats SS in episode 3
Quote:
Approximately 10 seconds. This is from the time when a player's HP falls to zero, and the body shattering into polygons, to Nerve Gear sending out electrical signals to fry the player's brain in the real world. I cannot help but imagine how Sachi must have felt during the short span of 10 seconds, from her body disappearing till her Nerve Gear frying its owner's brain. It must have been extremely painful for her. In this span of 10 seconds, what was she thinking? I cursed myself repeatedly.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic205802_6.gif
NoirX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:04   Link #1652
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
It serves the narrative purpose of forcing Kirito to do something he would not have done otherwise. He has to go back in. He has to face the thing that terrifies him, deep down, and reclaim the piece of himself he left back there.

Because the Black Swordsman's destiny remains in VR, without it he's incomplete.
__________________
- Kicking it old school.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:11   Link #1653
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esebian View Post
Well unlike the normal damsel in distress she at least tries to break free and (by the keycard) plays a major role for her rescue but ye she MAYBE could have done more
Doesn't change the fact that she's trapped for most the arc, which is the issue here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
It serves the narrative purpose of forcing Kirito to do something he would not have done otherwise. He has to go back in. He has to face the thing that terrifies him, deep down, and reclaim the piece of himself he left back there.
That sounds cool and all, but using Asuna's character for that it's awfully cheap, and a disservice to her character to boot.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:23   Link #1654
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
It serves the narrative purpose of forcing Kirito to do something he would not have done otherwise. He has to go back in. He has to face the thing that terrifies him, deep down, and reclaim the piece of himself he left back there.

Because the Black Swordsman's destiny remains in VR, without it he's incomplete.
And the 300 people trapped in their Nervegears after the game was cleared? That's not a reason for Kirito to go back in?

Asuna would be right there trying to get back in to save them, and that's what my whole other story is about. Instead of Asuna being trapped in the game:

Sugou taunts them both with the 300 prisoners. Asuna wants to go in and save them, if Kirito wouldn't want to go in otherwise, he'd surely go in again if Asuna went back in.
Sugou, being the sadistic bastard he is, would be teasing and taunting them the whole way, trying to get Asuna desperate enough to choose for herslef to marry him to save the 300 hundred. Kirito kills this plan, however, and they both (with Lifa and Yui of course) eventually find how to free the 300 and the two of them proceed to kick Sugou's butt together.

Locking up Asuna isn't needed to get Kirito back in the game; the above is more than sufficient. And like I said earlier, this is all just off the top of my head; with the proper planning and storyboarding obligated with all story development, it could be fleshed out much better.
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:29   Link #1655
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
There are many different ways to make the same story works. The author turned Asuna into a damsel because he wanted to play that card, not because it was the only possible way for the story to continue.

There's really no point in arguing about that. It was the author's choice, and while I think it was very poor choice, it is what we've got.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:29   Link #1656
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esebian View Post
Hmm? We somehow seem to change the meanings of some words XD The only clear condition of the game was reaching the 100th floor and beating the last boss, from what happens afterwards was only announced that all alive players would be set free, well those who had their 10 secs running most probably were rescued aswell as they were still ingame but that isn't stated somewhere so that are just my thoughts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
In LN, it's on Vol.2 (Black Cats SS), it also got mentioned in the anime version of Black Cats SS in episode 3
No, no, I'm not talking about the 10 seconds thing.. I was talking about this part: "clear conditions included 'fixing everyone's health at maximum'." When was this mentioned? Or was it a condition of the duel?
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:32   Link #1657
Deltaray
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 21


From survivor aka logout list.

So PoH did survive the whole thing, only one we dont know anything more about in novels.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:36   Link #1658
jpwong
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
No, no, I'm not talking about the 10 seconds thing.. I was talking about this part: "clear conditions included 'fixing everyone's health at maximum'." When was this mentioned? Or was it a condition of the duel?
It's from part 4 of the "Warmth of the Heart" story

Spoiler for Novel:
__________________
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:36   Link #1659
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
No, no, I'm not talking about the 10 seconds thing.. I was talking about this part: "clear conditions included 'fixing everyone's health at maximum'." When was this mentioned? Or was it a condition of the duel?
It's mentioned in Warmth of Heart, in the last lines of the chapter.

Spoiler for to cut down on size:


RE: 'Why Asuna'

I honestly feel like Kirito would not have gone in if it weren't for Asuna. 300 people? He felt weak and hollow. Debilitated. Certainly, Asuna being trapped didn't help there. But it was realizing Asuna was TRAPPED, that it wasn't just 'They didn't log off for some reason...' It made it personal. It made him ANGRY again. He needed that anger.

Yes, it was cheap heat, but it was heat less cheap than a lot of cheap heat that gets taken as high art.
__________________
- Kicking it old school.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:38   Link #1660
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Ahh, right. Thanks, you two.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.