AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-07, 04:35   Link #61
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I don't know what and how the hell this happened, but damn Sukitte's opening is pretty darn good. I've read a few chapters of the manga and all I could say was that it was damn generic but I'm at awe on how they manage to make this look so refined. It's like I'm watching Sankarea again in terms of how well directed this was.

Honestly, the only thing that happened in the first chapter was A) Mei kicks Kurosawa after establishing that she's a quiet girl with no friends B) A stalker was following her and he had to call Kurosawa for help and he ends up kissing her to ward the stalker away. Everything in that first chapter was done so blandly and with no feel and it felt like a rehash of every stereotypical shoujo that I watched.

In this episode though. . . Mei's social awkwardness is elaborated with damn fine direction. Kurosawa slightly less of a "bishie" (well he still is but it's toned down a bit). The way the stalker was portrayed was skillfully done. Really, I'm just at awe here. And this is coming from ZEXCS, the generica of generic anime. It also doesn't hurt that it completely does justice of the manga's rather noodle-y pretty designs.

I'm like 100% sold on this.
__________________
Traveler on Revenge / Ahelo Sigs / Saimoe Report! Signature by ganbaru
ahelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 07:25   Link #62
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
A reasonably good first episode that was a mix of toning-down the source material, as well as surpassing it.

In the first instance, the outcome of the initial sequence was toned-down and left too much to the imagination. The manga was more explicit as to what happened to Mei after her "friends" ran away. Too violent, perhaps? What you saw here doesn't seem to give full justification to Mei's decision to live without friends, which was the direct result of this incident. Perhaps we'll see an extended version of this dream sequence in the future.

Secondly, Nakanishi's jerkiness has also been toned-down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
His friend was actually teasing her insistently knowing who she was in the manga, but here it just looked like she kind of over-reacted for no reason.
Exactly this. It was not accidentally, but intentionally that he bumped into Mei just to show Kurosawa how funny it was to watch her reaction. However, Kurosawa didn't react as Nakanishi expected, but, in fact, reacted pretty much as portrayed in the anime.

On the other hand,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
The way the stalker was portrayed was skillfully done.
I'll agree with this. A definite improvement which felt much more realistic than the manga.

The impression that I got from Kurosawa in the anime is the same impression that I got when reading the first chapter of the manga: he sees Mei as another girl to add to his harem, albeit, perhaps a more difficult conquest, unlike all the other girls who fawn all over him.

My only real "complaint" is that the anime Mei doesn't seem to have quite all of the cute facial expressions that the manga Mei has.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 07:49   Link #63
Bern-san
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I agree with the previous posts.
A shame the anime didn't portray Nakanishi being a jerk and that he purposely did that to Mei.

The flashback I think it is explained later so maybe they will give the details in the future episodes?

The rest of the episode was great and Mei sounds as cute as I imagined.
__________________
Bern-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 08:22   Link #64
mistress_kisara
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
I don't know what and how the hell this happened, but damn Sukitte's opening is pretty darn good. I've read a few chapters of the manga and all I could say was that it was damn generic but I'm at awe on how they manage to make this look so refined. It's like I'm watching Sankarea again in terms of how well directed this was.

Honestly, the only thing that happened in the first chapter was A) Mei kicks Kurosawa after establishing that she's a quiet girl with no friends B) A stalker was following her and he had to call Kurosawa for help and he ends up kissing her to ward the stalker away. Everything in that first chapter was done so blandly and with no feel and it felt like a rehash of every stereotypical shoujo that I watched.

In this episode though. . . Mei's social awkwardness is elaborated with damn fine direction. Kurosawa slightly less of a "bishie" (well he still is but it's toned down a bit). The way the stalker was portrayed was skillfully done. Really, I'm just at awe here. And this is coming from ZEXCS, the generica of generic anime. It also doesn't hurt that it completely does justice of the manga's rather noodle-y pretty designs.

I'm like 100% sold on this.
THIS

Great execution, hopefully this continues..
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 10:10   Link #65
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Well, everyone has already said what I wanted to say =03. Just an excellent, all-around adaptation of the manga. My hopes were high, and I was not let down; in fact, I was impressed. This was truly like an advanced version of the manga.
__________________
Even young love hurts MAL account

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 10:16   Link #66
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sullivan County, NY
Age: 38
I haven't watched it yet, but I have a few observations before jumping in and giving it a chance:

1) The art style looks like shojo manga with the muted colors and skinny, tall characters. (I wish I could explain this better. It just looks different that the usual school harem anime art style.) This show isn't another harem anime though, at least I don't think it is/hope it isn't.

2) The place I am going to watch it describes the genera of this show as "evil love." I have never seen a show described that way. That alone perks my interest in this show.

I'm also glad to hear, even with the off assortment of people who are writing and animating this show, it remains close to the manga in both style and substance (throughout episode 1 at least.)

Okay, now to find time to watch it ^_^
__________________
PonSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 10:32   Link #67
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonSquared View Post
2) The place I am going to watch it describes the genera of this show as "evil love." I have never seen a show described that way. That alone perks my interest in this show.
Because I'm lazy, I'll say Kirito said it pretty well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
Well one of the series themes are relationships and the ups and downs regarding it. I'm sure it'll lead to good character and story development as long as they do it right in terms of situations that provides such development that doesn't seemed forced.
There is no "evil" here, at least in this first episode. Don't want you to get your hopes up as if some new idea will be done here.
__________________
Even young love hurts MAL account

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 10:42   Link #68
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Kurosawa & Mei. Total opposites.
He wants to get closer, she keeping her distance.
I think she's a bit dense, but will probably let him in eventually.
That Kurosawa sure is one persistent guy ^^
In her hour of need he didn't betray her...
So far, it's nice.
Looks like it's gonna be an autumn full of romance.
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 11:36   Link #69
bastek66
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Age: 26
I wish Crunchy pick this up, because I want to watch in in human language.
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 14:20   Link #70
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
There is no "evil" here, at least in this first episode. Don't want you to get your hopes up as if some new idea will be done here.
I'm aware that there will be some changes from the original content to the anime adaptation. Like I said, as long as the story and character development makes the anime flow naturally, then I'll have no problems with it... for now. I'm just waiting to see where this goes and so far everything has been running smoothly, at least to me.
__________________
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 14:47   Link #71
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Hey Kirito I just watch the first episode and I just read up all the Manga chapters and I became interested in it. Is this weird?
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 15:18   Link #72
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
Quote:
Hey Kirito I just watch the first episode and I just read up all the Manga chapters and I became interested in it. Is this weird?
No dude, and I really wanted to talk to you about this. But it seems that you're enjoying the series, and that's good because I am too. The first episode didn't disappoint and I hope that the direction the anime will go on will be a great experience.
__________________
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 15:53   Link #73
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
No dude, and I really wanted to talk to you about this. But it seems that you're enjoying the series, and that's good because I am too. The first episode didn't disappoint and I hope that the direction the anime will go on will be a great experience.
I liked the series , looking forward how they will adapt with the Manga. Well each chapter has 50 pages so I am guessing they will at least have 12 chapters animated. I felt weird reading the Manga though because it is one of the few Shoujo I enjoyed reading. So it was new to me since most Shoujo have similar situations and problems with lack of execution on them.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 15:54   Link #74
royrbff
Foxhound
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 33
Send a message via MSN to royrbff
Definitely i going to follow this show, i expect to see a good character development with a nice slow pace.

I found Mei really interesting.
royrbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 16:03   Link #75
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
Haven't read the manga, but from what i've seen i like it so far. THe kiss sequence looked like it was executed perfectly for me.
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 18:53   Link #76
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I read the manga a few weeks ago, didn't it was getting an anime.

First episode seemed okay. I agree about the facial expressions being missed. I don't think Mei's voice really fits. The manga imo was okay, standard shojo. I feel the anime will probably tone down things a bit, since the manga is rather heavy on promiscuously.

I think this series is gonna get overshadowed by the other sudden kiss at the end shojo series, Tonari though.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 23:41   Link #77
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I think this series is gonna get overshadowed by the other sudden kiss at the end shojo series, Tonari though.
You hit it right on the head. While the male leads aren't similar, but I can't help but comparing the two when both have the female leads choose to be 'friendless forever', who in their high school years has an incident that triggers their change in their stance, and then have their first kiss stolen from them.

And I dunno if it's because I saw Tonari no Kaibatsu first, but this feels the weaker of the two shows, despite me being a big fan of Kayanon. :shrug:
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 01:25   Link #78
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
mmm, even if probably I'd choose this one over Tonari (if I had to choose, I don't like comedy usually) it's true that this first episode showed a pretty generic premise. But the way it was portrayed was really really good, as already said, the episode overcame its own apparent limits Yes, the boy sudden interest felt a bit forced/sudden to me, but anyways it's ok.
What I don't like, but it's not Sukitte problem, is this recurrent need to stole the kiss so early in the story, but I guess is a sort of distinctive trait of this genre, sort of, so I have to bear with it
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 07:05   Link #79
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 38
The guy is a chick magnet, yet isn't interested in them enough to take it a step further. Instead, he picks the most anti-social girl in the school, who isn't exactly ugly herself, probably seriously misunderstood. And yet, I'm totally fine with this premise, because it worked so well in this first episode.

From the moment they showed the man in the bakery, I knew he'd be bad news, judging by the way he looked at her. I also expected Kurosawa to proclaim himself as being her boyfriend, though I didn't expect him to give her a full kiss on the lips. Now we'll see how she reacts to that, and whether or not she'll open up to him (and possibly others) more now.
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 11:37   Link #80
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
I liked the series , looking forward how they will adapt with the Manga. Well each chapter has 50 pages so I am guessing they will at least have 12 chapters animated. I felt weird reading the Manga though because it is one of the few Shoujo I enjoyed reading. So it was new to me since most Shoujo have similar situations and problems with lack of execution on them.
This series seems more natural and slow paced compared to the other Shoujo's I've read. Especially since the characters themselves feel more "real" and "straightforward" in their way right regarding their personalities and views on life etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
mmm, even if probably I'd choose this one over Tonari (if I had to choose, I don't like comedy usually) it's true that this first episode showed a pretty generic premise. But the way it was portrayed was really really good, as already said, the episode overcame its own apparent limits Yes, the boy sudden interest felt a bit forced/sudden to me, but anyways it's ok.
What I don't like, but it's not Sukitte problem, is this recurrent need to stole the kiss so early in the story, but I guess is a sort of distinctive trait of this genre, sort of, so I have to bear with it
Well since we've covered the first chapter of the manga, the kiss was to show off Mei receiving her "first" something during her years of lack of social interactions. It'll makes things for her a little more complex since her first kiss was taken by the most popular guy while she's just ordinary, but quite mature and cynical for her age. It's surely a gateway to introduce the romantic development between her and Yamato in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
From the moment they showed the man in the bakery, I knew he'd be bad news, judging by the way he looked at her. I also expected Kurosawa to proclaim himself as being her boyfriend, though I didn't expect him to give her a full kiss on the lips. Now we'll see how she reacts to that, and whether or not she'll open up to him (and possibly others) more now.
The kiss will surely open up worlds for her considering that the most popular and good looking guy kissed a plain mature girl like her. It's definitely a sure way to start a romantic development between the two characters, and how that'll affect the people around them.
__________________
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, friendship, romantic comedy, shoujo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.