AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Little Busters

View Poll Results: Little Busters - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 20 14.18%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 19.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 35 24.82%
7 out of 10 : Good 32 22.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 7.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 2.84%
4 out of 10 : Poor 7 4.96%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.71%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.84%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-08, 03:22   Link #141
Marcus H.
Concealed Chuunibyou
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
By the way, relentlessflame, even as an anime-only viewer I can easily connect the dots to what is going on, and what Reckoner said is just about what sums up my overview of the series. One just needs to watch out for the characters' actions themselves, which some may overlook as just "a character doing something".

Also Reckoner, I noticed your article about Key fans is all the more relevant to the current issues with Little Busters. To quote on that, "Why can't we all be happy?"
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Spring 2014: No Game No Life, Date A Live II, Magica Wars, Fairy Tail and Isshukan Friends.
Winter 2013/2014 Catch Up: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren, Sakura Trick and Little Busters! EX.
Log Horizon, Strike the Blood and Tokyo Ravens from Fall 2013.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 192. Plan to watch: 31.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 03:40   Link #142
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
By the way, relentlessflame, even as an anime-only viewer I can easily connect the dots to what is going on, and what Reckoner said is just about what sums up my overview of the series. One just needs to watch out for the characters' actions themselves, which some may overlook as just "a character doing something".
Well, my own statement (in my post just above that one) came from my own viewing experience too, and I don't think is disagreeing either. But whether even that explanation is sufficient to give people a good sense of what to expect from this show is still sort of debatable. I think I know what they're going for in general terms, but there are still a lot of unknowns as far as specifics go. In any case, it requires a bit of a leap of faith, and if someone didn't really enjoy the episode that much as it was, they may have mixed feelings.

In other words, if someone is really trying to argue that the themes were *not present* or *impossible to see*, then I wouldn't agree with that either. But that doesn't mean either that this will assuage everyone's trepidation about whether they'll end up enjoying this show or not, or change the fact that they had a hard time enjoying the episode. There's not only one valid perspective.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 03:40   Link #143
Kimidori
Let's Play
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Most of that was explained in the episode almost right around the same time as the events were taking place. Kengo and Masato can only fight when Kyousuke is around because he always keeps its from reaching a dangerous level. Kyousuke just got back from Tokyo looking for a job, and like Kengo says next year Kyousuke will be gone since he'll have graduated. Riki who seems very disheartened at this thought brings up the idea of just doing something like they would have when they were kids.

The baseball thing might be hard to pick up but if you notice they were at the baseball diamond and Kyousuke as you yourself said is whimsical so he just went with what was at hand.

The quote thing was Kyousuke's homework as he said, though you can assume the teacher probably meant looking up famous ones rather than writing down random things his friends said, but this is just you know friends hanging out and messing around doing their homework together. Not anything complex at all.

The whole "mission" with Rin recruiting was just funny antics / trying to see if they could get girl members for their team, guys aren't allowed in the female dorm so Rin is the only one that could ask other girls in the evening.

This was all in the episode.
I see, but all of this was not properly explained or executed in this episode at all, the episode feel just too... random.
__________________
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 03:49   Link #144
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
I see, but all of this was not properly explained or executed in this episode at all, the episode feel just too... random.
Well, in fairness (I'm trying to see both "sides")... I would argue that it was properly explained, at least. I have to admit that I think I understood all the points Xacual mentioned when I watched the anime episode as well (as an anime-only viewer). But, perhaps the randomness made it hard to follow what was going on. It's a bit more cryptically assembled than it could have been, at least... so whether it was "properly executed" may be open for debate. (But I think that's a pretty hard debate to have, because a lot of it comes down to each person's own personal experience.)
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 04:03   Link #145
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
I watched the opening episodes for two other new series (K, and Magi) before watching the first episode of LB. I shouldn't have. This episode felt so flat in so many ways which ranges from the voice acting to the music selection to the timing of some of these dialogues that were used to generate comedic moments and silliness. I'm not even going to lament on the animation. Let me just end the talk about animation by saying that I'll laugh at any claims who has seen even a glimpse of above average animation in this episode. In today's age of everything digital/CG where the standard has been steadily going up, the attempt at overall animation in this episode was below the norm, well unless the studio is focsing in a show about boobs-and-ass.

It didn't help at all that the content of the episode was so boring and random along with the mediocre execution in the voice acting. This time around it might be a true test for a Key story to draw in the interest of an audience all by itself without the added incentive of very good overall animation, superb management of voice acting, and timely back ground music (which can enhance a dry plot to an enjoyable level.) I didn't play the game, and I can tell you that if I didn't have a certain expectation built in from my previous experience at watching other anime-adaptation of Key stories, I probably don't even come back for the 2nd episode. I'll watch few more episodes before deciding if I can conitnue or, should just let the series finish before picking it back up.

1st episode gets a 5 out of 10.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 04:06   Link #146
Marcus H.
Concealed Chuunibyou
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Quote:
I watched the opening episodes for two other new series (K, and Magi) before watching the first episode of LB.
I shouldn't have.
You shouldn't have, really. We're talking about GoHands against J.C. Staff here.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Spring 2014: No Game No Life, Date A Live II, Magica Wars, Fairy Tail and Isshukan Friends.
Winter 2013/2014 Catch Up: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren, Sakura Trick and Little Busters! EX.
Log Horizon, Strike the Blood and Tokyo Ravens from Fall 2013.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 192. Plan to watch: 31.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 04:08   Link #147
eplipswich
The Anime Maniac
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 27
I guess this 1st episode kind of gives the "random" feeling because of the random wackiness of several scenes, like that particular black-haired guy (sorry, I don't remember their names just yet), the randomness from the red-haired guy, and pretty much most of the funny scenes feel kinda awkward. Sure, I actually understand this whole episode as a whole, but it just feels awkward, because they're kind of doing random stuff out of the blue. But after someone said the red-haired guy is a very random type of person, I can accept that.

To those who doubt this randomness, I think people have to give this show time, and I will too. There is definitely more than just randomness in this show, and I can see a deeper meaning in this show.

As for animation quality, well, I'm not really too bothered about it. It isn't really that bad, anyway. Not as good as KyoAni, but hey, I watch animes for the entertainment and story, not much for the quality. (of course, better graphics are always a plus, but not too great of a necessity.)
__________________
Currently Watching:
Attack on Titan, Suisei no Gargantia, Ore no Imouto Season 2

I only watch highly recommended animes ~ ~
eplipswich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 04:10   Link #148
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The key theme (supported by the OP/ED, the flashback, and the monologuing) is that their time together as a group of friends is running out, and they want to have one last hurrah before they all part ways. And to do that, they're going to wrap in a bunch more people and their "adventure" will unfold. All the rest of the elements in the episode support this theme.
Thank you. That was a very key element and theme that can easily be overlooked. When you put it in that perspective, then this does seem like a last hurrah.

The anime production team might not have done a very good job presenting and organizing the material for the first episode, but forum members always do a great job piecing it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
This is where your argument totally loses me because you try to paint these different scenes as disconnected when in reality the group of friends titled "Little Busters!" were always people who went off and did wacky things. In the very first scenes with the fight between Masato and Kengo and Rin, Riki goes on to talk about how "this is a perfectly normal scene for me."

There is a whole flashback sequence that Riki narrated about his childhood and how he was befriended. How they would go on random little adventures as a group of friends is also talked about. And in many ways they are still the same group of people, always going off and doing wacky things and having fun as friends.
So in essence, what you are saying is that they are a group of friends that do random things. Okay, I can buy that, since the first episode did really show a lot of random things that make people go "why?" If they were going for Sket Dance or Gintama approach, then I can understand that. However, even with Gintama and Sket Dance, there was a purpose to the random things they do. For now, it really does not seem like there is actually any true purpose other than to have fun. I guess that could be theme itself, but watching others having fun just for the purpose of having fun usually is not a strong compelling story.

I'm sure it will get fleshed out later on, and the drama will start to kick in. Right now, everything is only basing off of the first episode. Maybe if they did this as a 1-hour special, it might have been better served. However, presented as is, it leaves much to be desired.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 04:12   Link #149
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Let me just end the talk about animation by saying that I'll laugh at any claims who has seen even a glimpse of above average animation in this episode. In today's age of everything digital/CG where the standard has been steadily going up, the attempt at overall animation in this episode was below the norm, well unless the studio is focsing in a show about boobs-and-ass.
Okay, well, I'll let you laugh at me a bit. I think the in-between animation for the movement of characters in many of the dialogue scenes was much smoother and more on-model motion than what you see in your average TV anime today (and not just the "boobs-and-ass" shows). But, I also grant that there were many scenes that were sparsely animated and relied on shortcuts to avoid the need for broad/complex motion. So I found the experience to be mixed overall. It's like where there was motion, it was often above average -- but a lot of places had no motion at all.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 04:16   Link #150
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Not a VN player but someone posted this earlier
Heh, although that line could be taken out of context e.g. main character said something that sounded like a girl and not that his voice sounded like a girl.
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 04:18   Link #151
Aspirety
Voyager Witch
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Otowa, Australia
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Aspirety
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Heh, although that line could be taken out of context e.g. main character said something that sounded like a girl and not that his voice sounded like a girl.
I've been found out. XP
tbph I'm not even sure about the context, I was just skipping through the game and found that line and chucked it online for a laugh :P
__________________
Aspirety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 04:56   Link #152
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by eplipswich View Post
I guess this 1st episode kind of gives the "random" feeling because of the random wackiness of several scenes, like that particular black-haired guy (sorry, I don't remember their names just yet), the randomness from the red-haired guy, and pretty much most of the funny scenes feel kinda awkward. Sure, I actually understand this whole episode as a whole, but it just feels awkward, because they're kind of doing random stuff out of the blue. But after someone said the red-haired guy is a very random type of person, I can accept that.
If the randomness alone could have been faulted, I wouldn't be so critical. No, the execution of these dialogues felt so out of place that the intended comedic moments just fell through. For example, after Rin throws that pitch to Masato, Kyousuke declares a title for Rin which shows up in the screen. This type of moment isn't unique to this episode. We have seen something similar in Clannad and Kanon. I didn't scoff or rolled my eyes at the couple more attempts briefly following the first, but I could have. They weren't funny. It felt redundant by the second time because the timing of the execution of the voice acting were so bad. There are many such little things lacking which added up quickly to make this episode an underwhelming one. Finding the correct pacing is the most important thing when it is already made clear the story is going to be a lengthy one.

The point here is that can this show capture the interest of a viewer who is watching this story for the first time in a weekly manner? After watching episode 1, I can say that it hasn't done anything to capture my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Okay, well, I'll let you laugh at me a bit. I think the in-between animation for the movement of characters in many of the dialogue scenes was much smoother and more on-model motion than what you see in your average TV anime today (and not just the "boobs-and-ass" shows). But, I also grant that there were many scenes that were sparsely animated and relied on shortcuts to avoid the need for broad/complex motion. So I found the experience to be mixed overall. It's like where there was motion, it was often above average -- but a lot of places had no motion at all.
I was commenting about the attempt at overall animation effort which is a combination of movement, background imagery and detail, and character design. Even if we are talking solely about the movement, my experience is that there isn't anything that stood out movement wise. Higher frame rates for the motion of the mouth for a smoother dialogue scene doesn't exactly contributes to an above average animated movement. It's the consistency of it where the audience don't even have to think in those terms and just take it as it is in a matter of fact manner because that becomes the established norm. This studio is capable of it. If anyone has seen Yumekui Merry, Nodame Cantable, or Index, then you know the studio is very capable of performing at a highler level when it comes to overall animation. Without even getting into a bunch of static images (and your shake-and-bake technique to give the illusion of moving), the overall animation effort lacked imagination in the episode, especially when it comes to background imagery.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 05:10   Link #153
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
It was bugging me that Riki's voice sounded too girly.
Finding out it was voiced by Yui Horie made more sense...then I realised it's almost the same as Raika's voice in Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! in a slightly less dead-panned manner.
Not sure how I should be reacting to that revelation, to be honest.

The show definitely feels a little out of focus, at the moment. It's probably because a lot of characters have been given attention to in just this episode alone, that it feels a little difficult to know what (or is it who?) I should be focusing on.
An ok start, but hasn't jumped out to me like a few other series starting this season.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 05:13   Link #154
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Even if we are talking solely about the movement, my experience is that there isn't anything that stood out movement wise. Higher frame rates for the motion of the mouth for a smoother dialogue scene doesn't exactly contributes to an above average animated movement. It's the consistency of it where the audience don't even have to think in those terms and just take it as it is in a matter of fact manner because that becomes the established norm.
Well, to be clear, I wasn't talking about lip flaps, I'm talking about the actual motion of the characters. It's almost like a certain "effect" -- I noticed it particularly during the opening fight scene. While I did recognize that there were some shortcuts taken on the one hand, the way it's animated is different than most shows (like it's at a higher framerate?).

Anyway, in terms of the overall presentation, I'll wait to see a few more episodes.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 05:57   Link #155
Dop
We can't stop here...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Putting cards on the table here, I come to this show knowing nothing about the original VN. But then again, when I watched Air, Kanon or Clannad I knew nothing about those VNs either. And like when I watched those other anime series, I'm taking this on entirely on its own merit.

I liked the first episode, for an introduction it was good fun, but I expect it'll be a few episodes before it gets going.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 08:04   Link #156
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
But there was an "Ecstacy" version which was an eroge.
and then, it got a complete all ages version again. It is really just not worth calling it an eroge, especially the content of it.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 10:10   Link #157
Rengemaru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garden...
Age: 28
As one of the oldest and die-hard KEY fans around, I deem the first episode still inappropriate for judging. It had its flaws and such, but the redeeming factor was retaining much of the "unexpected mystery" KEY work has been always famous for.

I haven't read the LB VN yet and the spoilers I know are just general points and elements about the story. However, the first episode tricked me into believing that the spoilers I know are almost "nonexistent" and it's just a normal school comedy anime.

I know lots of people are not happy with this average introduction of the series. But hey, just like in horror movies where everything gets still and quiet and then BAM! Something jumps into the screen and scares the hell out of you. The same could happen here. It keeps tricking you with being a plain series and then whips you right in the face. This could have the same, or just like with AIR TV; actions and behaviors seemed normal or a little weird at first but had a much deeper meaning later on.

We'll just have to brace ourselves and see this to the end.
__________________
Grains of Knowledge:
Life requires a high demand of the mighty M skill.
Rengemaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 10:26   Link #158
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
The first episode seemed like standard, generic Key to me, albeit wasn't as flashy as the Kyoani or P.A Works openers. It started off on the lighthearted, slapstick side like all Key animes have but since I know how their formula works (lighthearted & silly now, melodramatic & serious later) I think I know what to expect. That being said, it doesn't mean it's great, but it wasn't unbearable. Got a chuckle here or two, but otherwise most of the comedy fell flat. I do find Rin extremely annoying though, since I am no fan of female characters physically beating their male counterparts.

One thing I do really like about LB so far is that it seemed to be (at the moment anyway) "group based". IIRC other key animes have been more or less a "harem" with a principal male lead sorrounded, moe and kawaii girls but I'm not seeing that yet (well except for the very last bit) In fact I actually got Anohana vibes from this in that it seems to be focusing on friendship, and whilst that show was on the serious side, here we see friends just goofing around. Which is a huge plus for me really.

Overall, decent first episode. Will watch more and see if I can find a character I can fag about (atm it seems to be Kyousuke lol) and brace for the melodrama thats inevitably going to come.

EDIT:

One thing to note was that it was blatantly obvious that the series was going to be overhyped/overrated, but I don't it's good to focus on that. Apart from the fact, it's the first episode, it's Key and the stuff they do are as predictable as Kyoani going do the next slice of life anime with "moe" in it (and yes even the excellently presented Hyouka falls into this). Which isn't necessarily a bad thing IF you know how to set your expectations. If you're coming thinking this is the next "epic" series along the lines of Madoka, Steins Gate or Fate/Zero then you're in for some major disappointment. I wouldn't even set the bar at Clannad After Story either since that's also one of a kind.

Granted, the visuals were pretty subpar considering J.C. Staff -can- do great visuals if they put their heart and soul into it - see Shana and Raildex. I will laugh my ass off if Sakourou no Pet turns out to be the better looking JC Staff series.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 16:24   Link #159
Umiko
Open fire!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
So far so good. I enjoyed the episode because it was relatively faithful to the visual novel.
I like the fact that they used the same jokes and the op was fantastic. They got lazy with the animation at some parts but overall it's quite decent.
__________________
Umiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 01:45   Link #160
dark998
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 30
It's has been a long while since I read the original Little Busters, but usingthe same OST was definitely a great idea. And the titles! I loved those. Keeping those small details is always welcome.

Overall the series seems ar fun as I remember it, already looking forward to the recruitment of the others members and of course, how the scenario branching will be handled once they reach that point.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.