AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-08, 10:18   Link #2661
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I am beginning to think Kamito may be responsible for all of our heroine's woes

Spoiler for spoiler:
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 10:18   Link #2662
XFire
Harem Seeker
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In between the Light and Darkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Spoiler for Vol 4 and up:
What went wrong with the "bad" example?
__________________
XFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 12:14   Link #2663
florza
一日之计在于晨
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A place where the seasons come to a standstill
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
I am beginning to think Kamito may be responsible for all of our heroine's woes

Spoiler for spoiler:
I suggest you reread the story again, carefully, in the original text if possible.

It'd be nice if people stopped spreading false information around, based on inaccurate Chinese translations (Which may or may not be true, I don't really read them often).

Also, I'm not even sure what I should think of someone who doesn't even bother to check the names of the MAIN characters.

Spoiler for untranslated:
florza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 21:05   Link #2664
cruzziallizt
bystander
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
can someone tell me ?
is Restia will be back to be Kamito's Spirit again ?
cruzziallizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 21:14   Link #2665
whsie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle and Houston... sleeping in a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by florza View Post

It'd be nice if people stopped spreading false information around, based on inaccurate Chinese translations (Which may or may not be true, I don't really read them often).
If you don't know if it's true or not true, then don't suggest it. It's insulting to any translator on that team, which are some of the best in the community. For your information, Chinese translations normally do not get the facts wrong. If there is a difference, it might be how a sentence is expressed or a verb here or there and even then, an error is rare because of how close the Chinese and Japanese language are. And before someone refers back to certain spoilers for DxD, zzhk specifically stated that it was a spoiler and to be careful with it. That was NOT an official translation.

More often than not, if there is a factual error, it's probably due to the A) the reader's ability B) how deep the reader reads. For all we know, you could be reading in Japanese, but you didn't read it very carefully. It happens all the time.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 21:28   Link #2666
Moe Connection
Basileus Basileōn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by florza View Post
I suggest you reread the story again, carefully, in the original text if possible.

It'd be nice if people stopped spreading false information around, based on inaccurate Chinese translations (Which may or may not be true, I don't really read them often).

Also, I'm not even sure what I should think of someone who doesn't even bother to check the names of the MAIN characters.

Spoiler for untranslated:
The so called 'spoiler' he had contained a lot of personal assumptions. He wasn't saying it is true, he's only saying that might be true, which, although it's wrong, certainly does not imply that the Chinese translations are really inaccurate as you think.
__________________
Moe Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 21:40   Link #2667
florza
一日之计在于晨
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A place where the seasons come to a standstill
@whsie
I used to read the more difficult LNs in Chinese, like Campione, until I started translating from Chinese (for pure speed). Many inconsistencies resulted in me referring back to the original, and discovering mistranslations here and there. Even worse, there were completely skipped lines. Speaking from personal experience as someone who can read both the Chinese and Japanese and compare them, I can definitely tell you there are more mistakes than you think. Now, because of that, I simply translate everything from Japanese. But as far as I remember, different Chinese translations sites have different degrees of accuracy, and I did used to read from wenku8 (recommended by others, like zzhk), I can hardly imagine how many inaccuracies there are in the other fan translation sites.

@darthfanta
That's why I told him to reread the story.

And on the Chinese translations, I believe my point has been made.

Last edited by florza; 2012-10-08 at 21:55.
florza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 22:09   Link #2668
whsie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle and Houston... sleeping in a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by florza View Post
@whsie
I used to read the more difficult LNs in Chinese, like Campione, until I started translating from Chinese (for pure speed). Many inconsistencies resulted in me referring back to the original, and discovering mistranslations here and there. Even worse, there were completely skipped lines. Speaking from personal experience as someone who can read both the Chinese and Japanese and compare them, I can definitely tell you there are more mistakes than you think. Now, because of that, I simply translate everything from Japanese. But as far as I remember, different Chinese translations sites have different degrees of accuracy, and I did used to read from wenku8 (recommended by others, like zzhk), I can hardly imagine how many inaccuracies there are in the other fan translation sites.

@darthfanta
That's why I told him to reread the story.

And on the Chinese translations, I believe my point has been made.
For Campione specifically, let me ask you if you translated from official translations by the publishing company or the fan translations? Second, if you translated from a fan translation, did you translate from the early volumes or the later volumes?

Official translations are done by the pros, but they're slower by about 2 or 3 volumes. Second, for fan translations. If it's earlier in Campione's life, then chances are the fan translation was done by someone of lesser ability. Generally speaking, popular works have teams or top translators working on them. If it's early in the works life cycle, lesser translators (some who admit they have a low level of Japanese) just take works for practice and try to get the work noticed.

Lastly, even if you do take early translations, I highly doubt that there would be factual errors. Sentences? Names? Sure.

Wenku is hardly a translation site. It's just a host. You need to go the source. And if you think fan translation sites are bad, then what does that make baka tsuki?

^^ The DxD was just that. A spoiler, NOT A TRANSLATION. There wasn't even any assumptions. It was simply a supposed reader telling a hungry group of individuals a spoiler. Of course, what made that spoiler very suspicious was that the spoiler was released BEFORE the novel was released.

Last edited by whsie; 2012-10-08 at 22:20.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 22:26   Link #2669
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 2D world
Imo the chinese translation's accuracy depends on who the translator is, like the above post said there's some popular works with teams of people working on them, as well as editors, but for works that people did solo, the editing progress might be skipped for speedy release. When a translator finish a series they usually edit it before releasing the downloading version, sites like wenku merely takes the translated part before the download release by the translator ( which in many cases, had been editted), so really sites like wenku is the not-yet-editted version.
I believe some of the so called "pros" who translate for official companies had been translators on forum sites in the past, as well there's quite a lot of series translated in chinese by official companies, so there shouldn't be that many errors.
__________________
xBakaChanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 22:46   Link #2670
florza
一日之计在于晨
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A place where the seasons come to a standstill
Seeing as you have gone quite a fair bit off tangent here, my initial statement was referring to the fact that ArchmageXin was using an inaccurate source (if it wasn't clear enough) and being misinformed based on it (Because, I do assume that his Chinese is good enough to know what the words mean).

But on your point, the factual errors may not be glaringly obvious, as they usually appear on less-important details, not major plot points. I distinctly recall them skipping out lines on things like the details of spells and such. But as the above said, it does vary from translator to translator.

As for the quality on Baka-Tsuki.... I won't comment on that. But readers should have a general picture of the skill of the translators based on their translations.
florza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 07:53   Link #2671
KuroiHikari
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I'm posting here because I didnt get a reply at BT forums, but archmageXin, what's your Chinese source, because there are really some lines missing time to time, or else I find entire phrases in sentences missing, and I haven't reached the part where i find that the terms are completely different from the source.
KuroiHikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 08:10   Link #2672
chancs
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: where magic is reality
Send a message via Skype™ to chancs
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroiHikari View Post
I'm posting here because I didnt get a reply at BT forums, but archmageXin, what's your Chinese source, because there are really some lines missing time to time, or else I find entire phrases in sentences missing, and I haven't reached the part where i find that the terms are completely different from the source.
Have you tried for PM? Well, he's still inactive since 30th
chancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 19:27   Link #2673
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroiHikari View Post
I'm posting here because I didnt get a reply at BT forums, but archmageXin, what's your Chinese source, because there are really some lines missing time to time, or else I find entire phrases in sentences missing, and I haven't reached the part where i find that the terms are completely different from the source.
Sorry, I kind of have to work full time and study for my license, so I really don't have much time checking the baka-website other than to see if there is an update for Campione or something. Especially given how rare there is a update in the Seirei's thread in the forum, I gave up reading it more than two weeks ago.

If you really have a problem with my translations, you can change it, delete it whatever, that is why the whole thing is a wiki. I just finished reading the remaining 4 books and...I need a break.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 20:07   Link #2674
Seitsuki
Onee!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ
A perfect translation is a bonus, not a requirement. I'm pretty sure too that most people will agree a flawed translation is better than no translation. Complaining gets nothing done. If you're unhappy about a standard, make corrections or TL yourself. If the only contribution you can make is to whine that stuff's wrong, then please take it elsewhere instead of bothering those who do get shit done.

(Aimed at no one in particular.)
__________________
thanks to Patchy ♥
Seitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 01:00   Link #2675
NeutralZero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Earth
Seems like they've release the ch 2eng trans of the manga...
Boy... she's an ungrateful b... tsundere or not but that's quite irritating...
Her stupidity in that matter is really wonderful... just wonderful...
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 03:49   Link #2676
chancs
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: where magic is reality
Send a message via Skype™ to chancs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
A perfect translation is a bonus, not a requirement. I'm pretty sure too that most people will agree a flawed translation is better than no translation. Complaining gets nothing done. If you're unhappy about a standard, make corrections or TL yourself. If the only contribution you can make is to whine that stuff's wrong, then please take it elsewhere instead of bothering those who do get shit done.

(Aimed at no one in particular.)
Same thoughts, but you presented it more strongly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZero View Post
Seems like they've release the ch 2eng trans of the manga...
Boy... she's an ungrateful b... tsundere or not but that's quite irritating...
Her stupidity in that matter is really wonderful... just wonderful...
Really.. *runs off
chancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 04:02   Link #2677
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
A perfect translation is a bonus, not a requirement. I'm pretty sure too that most people will agree a flawed translation is better than no translation. Complaining gets nothing done. If you're unhappy about a standard, make corrections or TL yourself. If the only contribution you can make is to whine that stuff's wrong, then please take it elsewhere instead of bothering those who do get shit done.

(Aimed at no one in particular.)
So true, I'm grateful on what I could read on BT already. If NO one told me the translation is off a bit (not missing large chuck), I wouldn't even know.
__________________
Sorry, Image unavailable. Only awesome people can see it.

“Whatever your reasons may have been, you did what you did. Do not forget that the day will come when you must pay for it.”

Last edited by mike211; 2012-10-10 at 04:59.
mike211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 04:10   Link #2678
chancs
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: where magic is reality
Send a message via Skype™ to chancs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike211 View Post
So true, I'm greatful on what I could read on BT already. If NO one told me the translation is off a bit (not missing large chuck), I wouldn't even know.
We must be grateful to them for spending some of their time for the translations. Its not like they are getting paid for it.
chancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 04:32   Link #2679
Gehenna
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Indeed the translators do a great job and I can't thank them enough for the time and effort they put into their translations. Thanks a lot.

Back on topic, it seems that Rinslet (I think its her that has the wolf spirit) hardly gets any character development from what I've read on BT and the spoilers, is that true?
Gehenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 04:51   Link #2680
holyood11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Names of the characters:

Kazehaya Kamito
Claire Rouge  
Terminus Est
Ellis Fahrengart
Rinslet Laurenfrost
Fianna Ray Ordesia
kamito- MC-guy
claire-red haired- flat chest
Est Terminus- MC spirit
Rinslet laurenfrost-Blonde with the maid most of the time
Ellis- Ponytailed
Fianna Ray-Vol 2 cover girl
__________________
holyood11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, light novel, mf bunko j, romance, shounen, supernatural

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.