AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Psycho-Pass

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-13, 18:27   Link #821
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
The way they deal with the criminals itself is also flawed, especially the way they kill the individual. Why choose a gruesome and gory way to kill? Kill them in a way that it won’t explode their body into pieces. In this case it worsened the situation. The victim saw it all happen that made her coefficient go up. I do hope the show provides a satisfying conclusion like the characters going against the system and removing it. That said, i wonder how such system came to pass without people objecting to it? The most fatal flaw is that just by thinking something bad the scanner will label you a criminal. Then when the scanner is 160, you get slaughtered.
Everyone thought it couldn't possibly happen to them. But would happen to their asshole neighbor.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 19:38   Link #822
DangerMouse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'd like to know how the therapy works, too.
Looking at this as a scifi cop show like a GITS/Blade Runner/Minority Report, I imagine we will definitely get a look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Well yes, I'm actually trying to make the system defensible. Like I said it's only the first episode and we don't really know how the system works and we don't even know how and why was it implemented. Maybe this world isn't really as crazy as you're thinking it to be? Maybe Psycho Pass is actually very accurate?

@thread
As for the hassle that Akane caused...

think about it this way... if Akane didn't interfere and just let Masaoka paralyze the victim then it would have ended there. It was set to paralyze in the first place and Akane's reaction might have been misinterpreted by the victim that they are trying to kill her thus raising her stress even further and giving her a lethal judgement.
I'm looking forward to learning more about the world/setting more expansively as well as more about the system in the next episodes.

That's true I suppose, since it was set to paralyze initially, in a way the "too extreme" change in status occurred because the incident was allowed to go on longer than expected which resulted in the victim having time to raise her "threat level". Since it was put into effect for some reason, I'm guessing the system is quite accurate however I imagine that the series is going to be about the flaws of the system, one of which is clearly how quickly a person's status can change and then even go back to normal (which is pretty human).

I agree with DarkWing, I could certainly see part of the show being about our officer team ultimately having to investigate their own system.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 19:51   Link #823
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
She did, and oddly it was not very effective with somebody pointing a gun right behind her. When she tried again at the end of the episode, it worked pretty well.
Well the first time, there was an adult male pointing a gun at her. Also, a body did explode right in front of her from a similar weapon discharging. The second time, the adult male with weapon got neutralized first.

If those guys had kept their distance and put down their weapons, she might have calmed down enough the first time.

They need use hand to hand combat and restraining techniques more and that weapon less.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 21:28   Link #824
Insane
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
if Akane didn't interfere and just let Masaoka paralyze the victim then it would have ended there. It was set to paralyze in the first place and Akane's reaction might have been misinterpreted by the victim that they are trying to kill her thus raising her stress even further and giving her a lethal judgement.
I think it's quite understandable for a newbie like her. All this crime-fighting business is as alien and new to her. She may have written a thesis before her graduation (which is only tangentially related to field work), but she has zero field experience (even if she's the top ranking student from Academy). She hadn/t yet understand that her pacifism and peace loving solution won't work on the real thing. It's like a little child who isn't even able to walk on his own feet suddenly got into a bicycle.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 21:31   Link #825
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
I suppose it just didn't feel right in that situation where you really should just pick the safe option instead of running the risk of getting everyone killed in a fire. So I couldn't really feel as if I support Akane's "moral" choice.
You know I think everyone is missing out how killing or stunning her with a lit lighter in her hand while sitting in a pile of fuel is...not very smart
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 22:10   Link #826
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
They need use hand to hand combat and restraining techniques more and that weapon less.
You assume police care at all for these people. In this society anyone above 100 is no longer considered human, the "good" people think of their work like catching (and killing) rabid dogs, the "bad" people actually like their job, they can knock out and even kill humans on a regular basis and get paid for it (albeit the enforcers are probably jailed in a special facility akin to a white collar criminal prision).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 22:31   Link #827
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Why choose a gruesome and gory way to kill? Kill them in a way that it won’t explode their body into pieces.
IMO medical science has advanced so much that an old fashion bullet (even if fired by a profesional) no longer guarantees the death of the criminal. So if there are criminal organizations that would retrieve the body to nurture it back to full health, a death sentence has to become something that even their best physicians cannot bring back to life.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 22:36   Link #828
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
You know I think everyone is missing out how killing or stunning her with a lit lighter in her hand while sitting in a pile of fuel is...not very smart
I thought lighters nowadays only light up when you're pulling at the trigger. Once she's stunned, she'll let go and the lighter will turn off.
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 22:36   Link #829
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Or it could simply be Urobuchi being... well Urobucher. There might actually be no real point to the gore other than shock value.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 23:14   Link #830
Insane
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 18
Somehow i got feeling that Psycho Pass is no more than "Stress Pass". What if, say, someone, a real psychopathic, who doesn’t feel a thing about killing people, wouldn’t he just be ignored by that shitty scanner?
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 23:23   Link #831
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Somehow i got feeling that Psycho Pass is no more than "Stress Pass". What if, say, someone, a real psychopathic, who doesn’t feel a thing about killing people, wouldn’t he just be ignored by that shitty scanner?
I still think it'll detect some form of abnormal brain activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
You assume police care at all for these people. In this society anyone above 100 is no longer considered human, the "good" people think of their work like catching (and killing) rabid dogs, the "bad" people actually like their job, they can knock out and even kill humans on a regular basis and get paid for it (albeit the enforcers are probably jailed in a special facility akin to a white collar criminal prision).
Also the old guy was going to say something about being made an enforcer but I guess we'll have to wait for that explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
You know I think everyone is missing out how killing or stunning her with a lit lighter in her hand while sitting in a pile of fuel is...not very smart
Hey if you think about had she not tried to light herself and the enforcer on fire they wouldn't have to use lethal force.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 23:26   Link #832
whitecloud
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Somehow i got feeling that Psycho Pass is no more than "Stress Pass". What if, say, someone, a real psychopathic, who doesn’t feel a thing about killing people, wouldn’t he just be ignored by that shitty scanner?
perhaps...thats why the system has it flaw...it cannot detect both temporary or someone who has gone into the deep end...thats why its a latent prevention system... but unfortunately the justice system seems to take the judgement of sybil system too seriously, instead as an advice it take it more as a commandment that the target is a patient thus must be either secured or eliminated thus disregarding self judgement and acting more like a robot.
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 23:54   Link #833
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
And this Sybil makes no distinction for that. That, in what I see so far, is a very critical and dangerous flaw, because no matter what your psychological profile is, it makes EVERYONE a potential threat in the system's eyes.
Well, everyone IS a potential threat (that's pretty much fact in real life). That's why its judged on a numerical ranking system. You're in the system, just depends on how high your number is.

One of the things that expands our judgement is the critical thinking and having morals (well some of us anyway ).

Which brings me to the point I made earlier, apparently at some point the decision was made were verdicts would be done in black or white, period. Why this was designed like this, we don't know yet, but we have gotten clues that this area is pretty bad in general. Some government heads might have just decided to go on and take care of issues all together by any means necessary to rid of the overall problem.

This woman needs counceling and could be a potential threat? No time to work with her, just erase her existence and that's one less threat to the world. Its safe to say this is one one jacked up Sink or Swim world we're seeing, but it might have gotten to a point so bad where at the time they felt that was the only option available.
__________________
Tenchi Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:04   Link #834
whitecloud
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu View Post
Well, everyone IS a potential threat (that's pretty much fact in real life). That's why its judged on a numerical ranking system. You're in the system, just depends on how high your number is.

One of the things that expands our judgement is the critical thinking and having morals (well some of us anyway ).

Which brings me to the point I made earlier, apparently at some point the decision was made were verdicts would be done in black or white, period. Why this was designed like this, we don't know yet, but we have gotten clues that this area is pretty bad in general. Some government heads might have just decided to go on and take care of issues all together by any means necessary to rid of the overall problem.

This woman needs counceling and could be a potential threat? No time to work with her, just erase her existence and that's one less threat to the world. Its safe to say this is one one jacked up Sink or Swim world we're seeing, but it might have gotten to a point so bad where at the time they felt that was the only option available.
yes...but maybe in the future case we might see some "exception" to the case like in all "government" there is of course upper echelon and they dont like it when they themselves or their family is marked... thus another further flaw...
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:31   Link #835
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Well the human "hounds" used by the police are an apparent exception to the rule. So it would seem that under Sybil, there might be an exception clause that would allow you to work for the government rather than being on the run for the rest of your lives.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:38   Link #836
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Wouldn't be surprised if the exception is something as simple as being a NEED to them, or having something they want. Similar to real life where like super hackers can get a pass if they use their skills to find bigger threats. Or how police tend to use certain street criminals (known as snitches) to rat out the bigger fish.

These criminals might have earned their title as criminal with some kind of skill, and the government just found it useful. I know if I wanted to use a program like this, and didn't feel like having to deal with Cops hesitating like our MC did, I'd use someone who has no problem pulling trigger.
__________________
Tenchi Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:42   Link #837
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I'm right behind you
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Moe? We already got Tsunemori Akane, that female inspector. Her moeness in her character design - especially her cute looking eyes - just makes her feel out of place in this show with dark, edgy atmosphere.
Maybe that'll be the point of this show; she's a beacon of happiness in a ruthless dystopia. One could say moe is most meaningful when it's in a very un-moe world.

Wow, in just one episode the plot somewhat parallels what Madoka took 11 episodes to reveal. Who knows which levels of hell Urobutcher will take us to over the next 23 episodes?
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:45   Link #838
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirroha View Post
I thought lighters nowadays only light up when you're pulling at the trigger. Once she's stunned, she'll let go and the lighter will turn off.
Yes but would you know for certain it's those kinds of lighter?
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 01:29   Link #839
whitecloud
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Possible case that will be problematic to handle under cybil:

case 1 : true psycopath or trained assasin..CC rating normal, no stress, basically dominator is locked cannot shoot (must unlock manually)....i can imagine a case where our MC see a person that with normal CC, declared safe, suddenly the person just go killing spree while still maintain normal CC...

case 2 : "exception" case...special goverment agent, high ranking officer with lot of influence

case 3 : situational case...just like current case it will provide "false" reading thus incorrect judgement

any other idea?
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 01:56   Link #840
Insane
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
IMO medical science has advanced so much that an old fashion bullet (even if fired by a profesional) no longer guarantees the death of the criminal. So if there are criminal organizations that would retrieve the body to nurture it back to full health, a death sentence has to become something that even their best physicians cannot bring back to life.
Kinda agree with you, but isn't it better to leave something for forensics to work with? It would be silly to assume that all crime cases will just involve a single desperate dude. What if it is a case of a serious crime network or something that needs tracking evidence and such.....blowing up people this way will leave little evidence to work with. Not to mention with crazy guns like these they will always end up with very messy crime scenes. Imagine if there were 3 to 4 more guys involved that got exploded........Bleh*puke*.....
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, psychological, science fiction, thriller

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.