AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-15, 14:57   Link #1381
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
as my knowledge of vehicles is limited, I imagine the jeep was made of steel compared to what some modern cars are made from?
Its more likely that older cars were not build to have crumble zones that take the energy out of the collision. So, that impulse of the impact is lessened for the occupants of the cars. In that case, the old car was just sturdy, but when it collides with anything but a modern car is definitly more deadly for the driver.
Cars these days are made to crumble everywhere except for the passenger compartment - so its not an aspect of quality but safety.

Thats rather off topic though
Jinto is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 15:27   Link #1382
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Aye, I have an '85 Olds I drive for fun. Solid as a rock (steel from front to back) and a deathtrap for anyone inside. Nothing crumples anywhere, no airbags, and a steering column that would skewer the driver. The passenger's face would simply crumble on the dash even with the crappy shoulder-seat belts of the time.

In contrast, I had a '90 300Z at one point that I was in a multi-car collision - I hit the concrete guardrail head on at about 50mph (I know because I looked just as it happened). Walked away from it - the force had crinkled the front of the car to half its original length.

I guess we're talking about this because one can only tolerate swimming neck deep in counterfactual 'realities' for so long.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 15:32   Link #1383
Ruby Princess
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 24
So you're saying that there's a big difference between cars of the mid-1980s and those of the early 1990s? Hmm...
Ruby Princess is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 15:39   Link #1384
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Princess View Post
So you're saying that there's a big difference between cars of the mid-1980s and those of the early 1990s? Hmm...
That was a transition period to new technologies. Most late '80s cars looked a bit deranged tech-wise in retrospect, like transitional species. The evolution since then has been a bit more incremental aside from hybrid engines.

Okay, now we're really off topic. Back to the election:
Romney collects $170M for final ad push
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ce-final-push/
However, the "secret donor" "non-profit" SuperPACs for the GOP are dumping millions to overwhelm Dem fund raising. Problem: Secret donor == difficult to tell if donor monies are foreign or not (legal consequences).

On the social conservative front:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012...exually-active

One of the ways I tell that many "social conservative" shriek issues come down to a fear that somewhere someone is having fun and they need to punished -- rather than the smokescreen concerns they raise.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 15:44   Link #1385
Ruby Princess
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 24
Vexx, do you think it would be a helpful technology if, upon detecting a crash, the car immediately teleported all its passengers to a CRF (Crash Recovery Facility) so quickly that nobody in the wreck could come to harm? I hope to become a scientist and invent that someday. ^^; (No joke)
Ruby Princess is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 15:49   Link #1386
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Princess View Post
Vexx, do you think it would be a helpful technology if, upon detecting a crash, the car immediately teleported all its passengers to a CRF (Crash Recovery Facility) so quickly that nobody in the wreck could come to harm? I hope to become a scientist and invent that someday. ^^; (No joke)
o.O I think you'd make a lot more money selling that as a complete replacement for transportation in general. But there are a few technical details to overcome (understatement of the century).
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 15:53   Link #1387
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Why use a car when you have a transporter? (if all you are doing is going from A to B)

As for cars and regulations, it depends on how old your car is. In California, if your car was build before 1976, that it is exempt from emissions regulations, unless it gets sighted as a "gross polluter" by someone. Which would be smoke and such coming out of it at all times basically. I drive a 1972 Dodge Dart. The last time it was Smogged was when I got it about 15 years ago. It ran as good as a 1990 Lincoln Town Car for all the testing was concerned.

We've since removed some of the older emissions reduction materials added on during the late 1970s and 1980s. Mostly because they were starting to fail and make the car run poorly (vacuum leaks). It was far simplier to remove the items than repair them since they did not effect the car's performance when removed, and the car no longer needed to be checked for emissions.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 16:05   Link #1388
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
On the social conservative front:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012...exually-active

One of the ways I tell that many "social conservative" shriek issues come down to a fear that somewhere someone is having fun and they need to punished -- rather than the smokescreen concerns they raise.
I can't tell if this ''punishing fun'' reason is a worse reason than the '' I have no real proof but I belive than the vaccine is dangerous'' than Bachmann use.
__________________

ganbaru is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 16:40   Link #1389
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I can't tell if this ''punishing fun'' reason is a worse reason than the '' I have no real proof but I belive than the vaccine is dangerous'' than Bachmann use.
I have a real personal problem with a parent who would rather their daughter get this cancer because "she made a mistake" than to protect her.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 17:21   Link #1390
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
In a 80s Jeep on Prius collision, I think bumper heights might also play a role. I don't think weight plays much of a role - contrary to popular belief, modern cars aren't actually that light, and for a while new models were frequently heavier than those they replaced. Based on the speaks I'm seeking, a Nissan Leaf weights about the same as a (stock) 87 Jeep XJ (a bit over 1500kg), and a Prius is well over 1300kg as well. Those battery packs add weight, though even my dad's 2012 Elantra is well over 1200kg. Only the Smart car is dramatically lighter, and despite some lip service to the US market in the more recent generations it wasn't exactly designed with the US market in mind.
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 17:41   Link #1391
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Aye, I think SmartCars are cute as a bug - but I wouldn't use them on a highway. Village driving, getting to the train station, downtown ... yeah, sure, but that's all. Strictly urban puttputt.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 17:47   Link #1392
Lightning_Wing
1.048596
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Location?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, I think SmartCars are cute as a bug - but I wouldn't use them on a highway. Village driving, getting to the train station, downtown ... yeah, sure, but that's all. Strictly urban puttputt.
Perhaps the viability of Smart Cars as used as a more long-distance travel vehicle would increase if they got more abundant and larger transportation became segregated onto different highways.

I would imagine that this would take a fairly severe amount of change to the auto industry as a whole, however, and segregating the large interstates and other highways would be quite costly. But, it's certainly possible that this trend would occur and probably hold, especially if gasoline (and oil as a whole) continues to be a rather volatile market.
__________________
Lightning_Wing is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 17:53   Link #1393
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
They look like they will ger crushed, not only by the semitrucks with trails, but by jus about any full sized car or truck on the road. They remind me of the Ford Ka we saw in Scotland around 2001.

(Political news should pick up again tomorrow for the debates.)
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 18:02   Link #1394
Lightning_Wing
1.048596
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Location?
(ignores above post)

EDIT: Post was removed anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They look like they will ger crushed, not only by the semitrucks with trails, but by jus about any full sized car or truck on the road. They remind me of the Ford Ka we saw in Scotland around 2001.

(Political news should pick up again tomorrow for the debates.)
That's what I mean though, is that if there would be more Smart Cars and less larger vehicles then there would be less of a chance for such a collision, the playing field would be more even.

But as of now, yes Smart Cars would be smashed by any other larger vehicle. There's just way too much momentum in average vehicles compared to smaller Smart Cars.
__________________
Lightning_Wing is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 18:07   Link #1395
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
You likely won't be able to remove the larger cars because things still need to be transported from place to place long distances and short distances. That's why they are large vans and tractor-trailer trucks moving up and down the freeways in large numbers.

And that is before you get down to non-commercial cars and trucks, and the need for people to move stuff around, or just larger numbers of people around. SMART cars are too small for things like that.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 18:07   Link #1396
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Okay, please move on from the Cars discussion (I'm personally surprised no one commented on GundamFam seemingly killing others with his jeep (I imagine similarly to Kurt Russel from Death Proof )...but whatever)).
james0246 is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 19:51   Link #1397
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Retracing my steps.....
Quote:
I'm personally surprised no one commented on GundamFam seemingly killing others with his jeep (I imagine similarly to Kurt Russel from Death Proof )...but whatever)).
I lol'ed.
__________________
"Do what I do in every friendship and relationship, give 5%" - Ron Bennington
TooPurePureBoy is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 22:05   Link #1398
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Okay, please move on from the Cars discussion (I'm personally surprised no one commented on GundamFam seemingly killing others with his jeep (I imagine similarly to Kurt Russel from Death Proof )...but whatever)).
Ha, ha.
Like I'm the friggin Road Warrior or something.

When I can buy a Jeep that looks like this...then I'll be happy.



Seriously though, would you mind, James, if I started an automobile thread?
Of course I'll be babbling on and on about jeeps, but that's not to say other peopel here might not want to talk about their favorite autos.
What do you say?
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 22:14   Link #1399
Ruby Princess
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 24
If I can start a six word thread about spiders, I'm sure you can start a thread about cars. XD
Ruby Princess is offline  
Old 2012-10-15, 23:38   Link #1400
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
There is already a general car appreciation thread. It is the ideal location for these discussions...
james0246 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.