AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-14, 15:05   Link #201
Mairsile
Athletic girls are sugoi!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Age: 38
Well, the stage is set of the rest of the season:

Spoiler for New Game:
__________________
"You're a gentleman; However, being only that is useless."
Mairsile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 12:00   Link #202
Insane
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 19
Man, what the hell is going on with the second arc.

1) This arc is trying to really make us hate the antagonist… and really really hate him that simply slaughtering him wouldn't enough.

2) I am sure the season will great, but I had that feeling while watching the episode that I wanted Asuna to wake up and then live on with Kirito from where they left off.. is there a need to drag it that much further? The anime would be awesome if the first arc would be all that it had…

3) The new world design does not appeal to me… the elf pointy ears is just a turn-off… the first arc world was way prettier and nicer. Yeah, the one thing that I really appreciated about the first arc of SAO was the lack of most high-fantasy aspects (i.e. no magic, humans as only playable species, etc). I’m rather disappointed that Kirito and co. will be flying around with pixie wings for the next dozen episodes or so.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 18:16   Link #203
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
For the antagonist, as I said in the other thread, let's at least wait and see what happens and if he's really really as simple a villain as we saw portrayed this last time. If he is that simple, well, he'll clearly be defeated soundly anyway. Methinks he hasn't really thought through his brilliant plan. Hating such an idiot isn't even necessary.

As for having things "pick up where they left off"... I think that's hard precisely because of the way the first story ended -- their relationship developed so much that what realistic obstacle can get in the way? As you say, ending the story there would be one possibility, but given that it didn't end there, they have to find a way to bring Kirito/Kazuto back into the game world. It's a bit of a turn as far as the story goes, but I think it serves a purpose.

As for the new game's designs... I guess it's obvious that it'll be a matter of taste. I, for one, really like the new design -- always been a big fan of "high-fantasy". I liked the world of SAO, but the new world looks beautiful to me too from what we've seen in the OP/ED. But yeah, clearly different people will have different preferences here. In the end, the base characters are the same regardless of the avatar they're playing as anyway.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 03:00   Link #204
backbone
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: East Asia
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
1) This arc is trying to really make us hate the antagonist… and really really hate him that simply slaughtering him wouldn't enough.

2) I am sure the season will great, but I had that feeling while watching the episode that I wanted Asuna to wake up and then live on with Kirito from where they left off.. is there a need to drag it that much further? The anime would be awesome if the first arc would be all that it had…

3) The new world design does not appeal to me… the elf pointy ears is just a turn-off… the first arc world was way prettier and nicer. Yeah, the one thing that I really appreciated about the first arc of SAO was the lack of most high-fantasy aspects (i.e. no magic, humans as only playable species, etc). I’m rather disappointed that Kirito and co. will be flying around with pixie wings for the next dozen episodes or so.
1) Most epic villains usually have one ultimate rule "Hated by viewers" in order to provide awesome satisfying feelings when he get beaten up by the MC
Spoiler for Comparison to Accel World:


2) If Asuna were to be "freed" from VRMMO prison, then she would probably keep being glued to Kirito throughout the story, thus absolutely prevent any other girls to make more developments with Kirito (In this arc's case, it's Sugu)

3) It's just a matter of taste. Probably you're a hardcore fan of pure action or martial arts story that completely devoid of fantasy setting.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-16 at 03:25. Reason: added spoiler for comparison...
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 15:31   Link #205
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
2) If Asuna were to be "freed" from VRMMO prison, then she would probably keep being glued to Kirito throughout the story, thus absolutely prevent any other girls to make more developments with Kirito (In this arc's case, it's Sugu)
Sugu's story could be compelling regardless of Asuna's current status, as she's his little sister and I remember there being implications that they had a falling out before SAO's release and Kazuto's resulting two year bedtime. We could have had Asuna and Kazuto figuring out their relationship in real-life (which could be weird at times) while we got to see them navigate themselves in a world they'd left for two years. I can't imagine it would be 100% smooth sailing.

(Also - who's Miss Goldenhair from the OP? That's our other girl for this arc, other than Yui's return (yay!))

However, without putting them back into a VRMMO, it's just not the same story anymore. And Kayaba was defeated in-game, but still apparently hasn't been found. There's a thread I don't think it would be smart for the show to drop.

Re: New Evil Guy - My fiance already hates him so much she was vibrating when we watched the episode. They certainly did a good job with that part, but I think he has something to do with keeping some - at least Asuna, but maybe others - of the players trapped in the new game. It's like relentlessflame's thought - he can't be that simple, can he?
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 15:52   Link #206
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I feel like she's gonna be a character that will come to have feelings for Kirito, only to be crushed in the end. D:
__________________
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 15:11   Link #207
itoastmysocks
Rabbit Flavored Socks YUM
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vienna/Austria
Age: 31


dunno if this was posted here yet or not.. but preview for ep 16
itoastmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 17:06   Link #208
RDF2050
Gundam Meister
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 24
Spoiler for Translation:


Here is the translation done by a fan in MAL. I don't know if it correctly translated.
__________________
RDF2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 18:26   Link #209
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Hope Sugou doesn't take the touching/harassment to the next level. ;_;
__________________
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 02:58   Link #210
Nvis
Grumpy Senior
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Is Yuuki good because of her character or the player? Like quicker reaction times than even Kirito and that 11-hit combo.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 03:20   Link #211
TwilightsCall
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
Her character isn't anything special. She has insanely good reflexes, she made that 11 hit combo skill by herself, and as we saw in this episode, she's practically an acrobat when it comes to fighting both people and NPCs.

Sure, her character is probably fairly high-levelled, but I can't imagine it being any better than Kirito or Asuna's characters. Especially considering she supposedly just transferred to ALO recently.
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 03:23   Link #212
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
Sure, her character is probably fairly high-levelled, but I can't imagine it being any better than Kirito or Asuna's characters. Especially considering she supposedly just transferred to ALO recently.
Well, she kicked Asuna's ass. And while it's debatable whether Kirito gave his all, she won that one too.

So, personally, I will assume she's stronger until proven otherwise.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 03:27   Link #213
IceHism
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
Her character isn't anything special. She has insanely good reflexes, she made that 11 hit combo skill by herself, and as we saw in this episode, she's practically an acrobat when it comes to fighting both people and NPCs.

Sure, her character is probably fairly high-levelled, but I can't imagine it being any better than Kirito or Asuna's characters. Especially considering she supposedly just transferred to ALO recently.
Usually when you transfer, you keep all your stats and levels already from the other server and i'm pretty sure Kirito and Co reset all their stats/levels after the events in ALO in the second cour of the first season so it's easy to see how Yuuki could be stronger disregarding the fact that she beat both of them in a duel.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 03:34   Link #214
TwilightsCall
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
Did it seem to you like she had an unfair advantage in her duel with Asuna though? It looked to me like they were both doing fairly similar amounts of damage to each other, and I thought it was made fairly clear that Asuna lost because she was outplayed, not because she was outlevelled.

Also, as was described in the Fairy Dance arc, ALO is a skill-based system. Your individual skills (ie One Handed Sword Skill) is supposedly more important than your characters actual level, if the characters have actual levels. And judging by the fact Kirito can clearly use Excalibur (a Legendary weapon) and judging by discussion here Liz can use Mjolnir (a Legendary Weapon), if we assume they have the same requirements as other Legendary Weapons (ie Eugene's sword from Fairy Dance) they will require a Skill level of 950...out of a max of 1000.

I think it should be pretty safe to assume that Kirito is at the top end of the character strength spectrum if he's using Legendary weapons, and if Liz is capable of it too, I find it hard to believe that Asuna isn't right up there with them.
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 04:43   Link #215
The Green One
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Skill with the sword isn't the only important thing, it's speed and reflexes as well. Kirito admitted that Yuuki was faster than him and her reflexes were better. Asuna was also mentioned as being faster then him too though Kirito's reflexes were better.

In any case with the battle Asuna originally started with normal swordsplay as using high end sword skills have a lag moment afterward as they have to allow the system to guide their movements and if the enemy blocks or dodges, (or fails to finish them) they're wide open to a counter. (This was shown distinctly in the previous arc Calibur) Asuna judged it'd be too risky to eat a counter from Yuuki but when Yuuki showed her speed and reflexes in the opening exchange Asuna was forced to adjust and risk using sword skills.

She was seeking an opening to use a big attack on Yuuki which is why she surprised her with an unarmed attack, which caused Yuuki to flinch and leave her open yet she was able to recover in time to block the strikes of Asuna's sword skill and after that Asuna was stuck in a skill lag lock which left her wide open for Yuuki's 11 hit combo, Asuna broke out of the lag in the middle of the combo and used her own combo attack to counter but it wasn't enough to break Yuuki's attack which decided the match.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 04:58   Link #216
nooneagain
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: by your side
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Skill with the sword isn't the only important thing, it's speed and reflexes as well. Kirito admitted that Yuuki was faster than him and her reflexes were better. Asuna was also mentioned as being faster then him too though Kirito's reflexes were better.
was it mentioned that yuuki is faster than bullets? he can swat bullets but not yuuki's blades dayum she's hella fast then. makes me wonder how would kirito defeat her if she was an enemy. well in ep 18 she had about half of her life points left(and so is Kirito), so I guess, what kirito or maybe asuna needs is more powerful OSS than MR.
nooneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-30, 23:33   Link #217
byakutsuki
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneagain View Post
was it mentioned that yuuki is faster than bullets? he can swat bullets but not yuuki's blades dayum she's hella fast then. makes me wonder how would kirito defeat her if she was an enemy. well in ep 18 she had about half of her life points left(and so is Kirito), so I guess, what kirito or maybe asuna needs is more powerful OSS than MR.
After watching the fight so many times, I think Asuna would've probably won the match against Yuuki if not for the fact that she has the most powerful OSS in the game with 11 hits.
byakutsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-01, 06:26   Link #218
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by byakutsuki View Post
After watching the fight so many times, I think Asuna would've probably won the match against Yuuki if not for the fact that she has the most powerful OSS in the game with 11 hits.
Not at all. Yuuki's best weapon is her almost preternatural reflexes and reaction time. Remember she parried Quadruple Pain (Asuna's 4-hit OSS) at point blank. Not even Kirito would have been able to do that.

The anime portrayed as a close match to make it more engaging, but Asuna never stood a chance, and that wouldn't have changed even if Yuuki didn't have her OSS.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-01, 09:54   Link #219
nooneagain
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: by your side
^Was there any mentioned instance earlier in the anime where Asuna used Quad pain on kirito and he wasn't able to dodge it?

Last edited by nooneagain; 2014-12-01 at 10:43.
nooneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-01, 17:46   Link #220
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
^ The novel has Asuna's narration, and she keeps explaining things during her match with Yuuki.
Spoiler for novel details:
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.