AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-20, 13:04   Link #61
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Is there any progress yet or did you give up on him?
The OP said that it was a random encounter, so it's unlikely he's going to talk to the same person again. It was really more to set-up the question.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:06   Link #62
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
And yes. That's the protagonist.
Manly, honest, good-hearted man... but looks like a typical un-pretty oyaji, not a hint of bishounen in him.
He's winning the hearts of girls and ladies all over the manga readership with his sheer human quality though.

Just kinda adds to the whole perception issue spoken above.
If this manga gets animated (and with the current popularity, it may be matter of time!) it will be technically considered a "girls' show".
Sounds good, hope it does get an anime.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:30   Link #63
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Aye, this sounds like it would make a great anime (whether or not it actually sold product).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 06:54   Link #64
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Ah, this reminds me of that Ore no Imouto episode, during the Meruru cosplay contest. Ayase was attending and commented, "This is an anime for kids, right? Why are all these middle-aged men here?"

Even if a mahou shoujo is intended for the female audience, anime like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura got lots of male viewers. Then uh, isn't Fairy Tail supposed to be a shounen anime? Lots of female viewers have very strong "feelings" for certain characters like Gray Fullbuster.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 15:27   Link #65
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Periphery Demographic? I liked Sailor Moon back when I was a teen for obvious reasons.......*cough* fanservice *cough*. Still, I liked the show for its strong characterization, the plot and I really did enjoy the art style. I may not like shoujo as much as shonen but Sailor Moon is one of my favorite shows and even if it is one of the first anime I ever watched.
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 15:53   Link #66
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42 10' N (Latitude) 87 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
If a show has some cute girls in it -- I'm there ready to fap.

So here's the thing. Many of these series... appear to be aimed for girls... they're actually not -- or at the very least, "maybe". If anything, they actually attract the guys to watch -- for obvious reasons.

Now, a real "girls series" would involve a lot of drama. And I mean, a lot. It's hard for me to remember some examples, because I actually go out of my way to avoid them. Yet, the first to come out of my head:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nana_(manga)
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 03:19   Link #67
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
To be fair, if a stranger told you there is this yaoi show that is really good with the elements you like, would you watch it? I wouldn't.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 07:14   Link #68
DXMichael
Stare Into My Eyes...
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Anime World
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
To be fair, if a stranger told you there is this yaoi show that is really good with the elements you like, would you watch it? I wouldn't.
Depends on how much intimacy goes on But an anime with a great story and characters etc etc shouldn't really be pushed aside just because some guys kiss every once in a while or show signs of affection.

As for the 'girls show' comment. Anime is anime with different styles, characters and plots. In my opinion every show is directed at a specific audience but it doesn't mean the opposite gender (Or whatever else) wont like it. If a show if directed women, does it automatically make it a 'girls show'? Nope, it just means women may like but more than men but men are free to test out that theory for themselves.
__________________
Gintaro from Gingitsune
DXMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 08:16   Link #69
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Listening to "SENTIMENTAL StepS" on repeat
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
To be fair, if a stranger told you there is this yaoi show that is really good with the elements you like, would you watch it? I wouldn't.
Yes. Well, I'd at least try out the first episode.
__________________
MyAnimeList
- - - - -
Visual novel list
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Space Dandy
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1993 OVA)
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 08:40   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
To be fair, if a stranger told you there is this yaoi show that is really good with the elements you like, would you watch it? I wouldn't.
Depends on the amount of intimacy shown, depends on whether its a primary focus or not. Recalling the movie about Harvey Milk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_%28film%29), it was a great movie that contained a couple of sex scenes and a fair amount of kissing/groping. I managed to survive that and highly recommend it to anyone engaged in politics, activism, or civil rights.

For me, at least, its dependent on the context - does it contribute to the story line? If it doesn't then, its as annoying as two people of any gender groping on the subway.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 21:08   Link #71
jdennis007
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
To be fair, if a stranger told you there is this yaoi show that is really good with the elements you like, would you watch it? I wouldn't.
I tried Tiger and Bunny and didn't like it at all.
Before everyone gets out their flamethrowers just remember we all see things differently, you wouldn't flame someone who sees yuri undertones in a series so dont flame me for seeing yaoi ones.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 05:50   Link #72
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
It's cultural.

Go to Rock Paper Shotgun or other American gaming blogs and look at reviews of indie Japanese games like Recettear, Fairy Bloom Freesia, stuff like that.

Look at the comments section.

Nine out of ten comments will be some Internet tough-guy spewing profanity about "girly Japanese shit."

This is America, where it's not fit for masculine consumption unless it's dark, brooding, gritty, blood-spattered and has a color palette containing every shade of brown imaginable. In America, it's "girly" unless the lead is a male, hypermasculine muscle-bound wall of meat with a gun in each hand and a DD-cup, impossibly-proportioned supermodel in his lap.

Westerners don't get the moe aesthetic very well, unless they're already entrenched in the anime/manga fandom. As a woman, I really wish this stupid stereotype would go the hell away--I'd love to see more cute in Western media.

And less brown. Please, there are more colors than brown--use them. Far Cry was colorful as hell--did it make your testicles shrivel up and drop off?

(Please, for the love of ALL THAT IS HOLY, give me an MMORPG with K-MMO/JRPG art style, moe aesthetics--at least one of the races, or give me enough sliders to make my characters cute--but a minimally-grindy Western-style PvE endgame with limited RNG.

I WILL THROW MONEY AT YOU IF YOU DO THIS.
)
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 11:22   Link #73
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's cultural.

Go to Rock Paper Shotgun or other American gaming blogs and look at reviews of indie Japanese games like Recettear, Fairy Bloom Freesia, stuff like that.

Look at the comments section.

Nine out of ten comments will be some Internet tough-guy spewing profanity about "girly Japanese shit."

This is America, where it's not fit for masculine consumption unless it's dark, brooding, gritty, blood-spattered and has a color palette containing every shade of brown imaginable. In America, it's "girly" unless the lead is a male, hypermasculine muscle-bound wall of meat with a gun in each hand and a DD-cup, impossibly-proportioned supermodel in his lap.

Westerners don't get the moe aesthetic very well, unless they're already entrenched in the anime/manga fandom. As a woman, I really wish this stupid stereotype would go the hell away--I'd love to see more cute in Western media.

And less brown. Please, there are more colors than brown--use them. Far Cry was colorful as hell--did it make your testicles shrivel up and drop off?

(Please, for the love of ALL THAT IS HOLY, give me an MMORPG with K-MMO/JRPG art style, moe aesthetics--at least one of the races, or give me enough sliders to make my characters cute--but a minimally-grindy Western-style PvE endgame with limited RNG.

I WILL THROW MONEY AT YOU IF YOU DO THIS.
)
Ragnarok Online?
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 13:00   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's cultural.

Go to Rock Paper Shotgun or other American gaming blogs and look at reviews of indie Japanese games like Recettear, Fairy Bloom Freesia, stuff like that.

Look at the comments section.

Nine out of ten comments will be some Internet tough-guy spewing profanity about "girly Japanese shit."

This is America, where it's not fit for masculine consumption unless it's dark, brooding, gritty, blood-spattered and has a color palette containing every shade of brown imaginable. In America, it's "girly" unless the lead is a male, hypermasculine muscle-bound wall of meat with a gun in each hand and a DD-cup, impossibly-proportioned supermodel in his lap.

Westerners don't get the moe aesthetic very well, unless they're already entrenched in the anime/manga fandom. As a woman, I really wish this stupid stereotype would go the hell away--I'd love to see more cute in Western media.

And less brown. Please, there are more colors than brown--use them. Far Cry was colorful as hell--did it make your testicles shrivel up and drop off?

(Please, for the love of ALL THAT IS HOLY, give me an MMORPG with K-MMO/JRPG art style, moe aesthetics--at least one of the races, or give me enough sliders to make my characters cute--but a minimally-grindy Western-style PvE endgame with limited RNG.

I WILL THROW MONEY AT YOU IF YOU DO THIS.
)
Well, make that two of us ... (and there's actually a large audience for this, which is a bit of what scares the juveniles whose definition of 'masculine' comes out of a five year old's 'rawr')
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 13:44   Link #75
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis007 View Post
I tried Tiger and Bunny and didn't like it at all.
Before everyone gets out their flamethrowers just remember we all see things differently, you wouldn't flame someone who sees yuri undertones in a series so dont flame me for seeing yaoi ones.
I am not going to flame you for not liking it. That's a personal opinion.

But Tiger & Bunny does not have yaoi undertones. Yes I know there is a huge yaoi following of the series and I think merchandise (and maybe some magazine articles) played it up a bit, but the actual series I don't see it at all.

Kotetsu and Barnaby are friends. If anything Kotetsu is like an older brother to Barnaby who I think really needed someone to look after him after really relying on himself for so long.

I mean I am not bothered when a fangirl wants to see yaoi in a close male friendship if they enjoy it. But I don't understand when people who don't like yaoi see it when it is clearly not even there.

Men can be shown to be close and you don't have to automatically assume they are pandering to fujoshi.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 16:24   Link #76
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Ragnarok Online?
That game is grindy as hell and Korean and P2W. I can get that easily enough with Aion with more pretty-shiny.

What I'm talking about is this:

- The graphics and art styles similar to games like Aion, TERA, FFXIV
- The no-target, Monster Hunter-esque combat from Vindictus and TERA
- The progressive, strong, low-grind, low-RNG endgame, like FFXI or WoW
- Strong PvP content, like Guild Wars
- Story-driven questlines, like SWTOR
- Tons of roleplay tools, like the musical instruments from LOTRO, the massive emote library from EQ2 and integrated things like WoW's My Roleplay UI mod

Mash all of this together and I WILL THROW MONEY AT YOU UNTIL YOU ARE BURIED SIX FEET DEEP.




... my apologies for going so far off-topic.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-28, 18:39   Link #77
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Ragnarok Online 2.
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 17:04   Link #78
NinjaRealist
Battoru!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly
To be fair, if a stranger told you there is this yaoi show that is really good with the elements you like, would you watch it? I wouldn't.
That' not quite a fair comparison. A better comparison would be shoujo and josei, and yes, I love Josei manga and there is a lot of good Shoujo as well. (Honestly, if it is well written, there is usually very little difference between shounen/shoujo and Josei/seinin)

But as to your yaoi question, I have literally NEVER had a yaoi show reccomended to me, but if someone told me that X Yaoi show was the Yaoi version of Madoka or the Yaoi version of Narutaru, I would give it a try.

I must say though that explicit sex in anime/manga tends to be, IMO, extremely squicky whether it is heterosexual or homosexual or zoosexual.

Spoiler for FrankTalkAboutAnimeSex:


Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
That game is grindy as hell and Korean and P2W. I can get that easily enough with Aion with more pretty-shiny.

What I'm talking about is this:

- The graphics and art styles similar to games like Aion, TERA, FFXIV
- The no-target, Monster Hunter-esque combat from Vindictus and TERA
- The progressive, strong, low-grind, low-RNG endgame, like FFXI or WoW
- Strong PvP content, like Guild Wars
- Story-driven questlines, like SWTOR
- Tons of roleplay tools, like the musical instruments from LOTRO, the massive emote library from EQ2 and integrated things like WoW's My Roleplay UI mod

Mash all of this together and I WILL THROW MONEY AT YOU UNTIL YOU ARE BURIED SIX FEET DEEP.




... my apologies for going so far off-topic.
You're asking for too much.

Most anime/moe MMORPGS are like Ragnarok Online or Maplestory (a.k.a. cesspools of human nature and bad, addictive, gameplay design that relies on the aesthetic to hold people's attention) .

I say this as someone who was badly addicted to Maplestory way back in high school.

Good MMOs, let alone ones whose aesthetics don't make your eyes bleed and whose plots aren't unreadably bad, are almost non-existent.
__________________
NinjaRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 18:05   Link #79
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Exactly - lost potential income because both sides of the Pacific are stuck in a rut concerning MMOs. A merger of best practices would be win.

OTOH, Secret World's challenging story content and "research required" quests ( I now have a Morse Code audio translator app on my phone ) seem to be too hard for general audiences. Oh the screams and anger when people who got gold stars for breathing all day encounter a quest that mandates googling up 17th Century artists
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 18:17   Link #80
NinjaRealist
Battoru!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Exactly - lost potential income because both sides of the Pacific are stuck in a rut concerning MMOs. A merger of best practices would be win.

OTOH, Secret World's challenging story content and "research required" quests ( I now have a Morse Code audio translator app on my phone ) seem to be too hard for general audiences. Oh the screams and anger when people who got gold stars for breathing all day encounter a quest that mandates googling up 17th Century artists
Sadly, I think the reason that kind of crap became the industry standard is because people DO make money off it and with something as expensive to make as a video game, people stick with tried and true formulas.

This same problem occurs in pop music, hollywood, most forms of popular art.

But it's especially pronounced with MMOs.
__________________
NinjaRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.