AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-20, 11:01   Link #501
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
How does having sex supposed to relive tension?
All that energy and emotions are being redirected.

Increase in male-female partners has an added bonus of more PKs being produced.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:11   Link #502
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Israel
Age: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
All that energy and emotions are being redirected.

Increase in male-female partners has an added bonus of more PKs being produced.
Yeah, but how the hell does it goes?
"I hate you!" "I hate you too!" "Let's have sex!"
__________________
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:15   Link #503
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
Yeah, but how the hell does it goes?
"I hate you!" "I hate you too!" "Let's have sex!"
No, the neg energy is because of something external to the partner relationship.

Like had a bad day at work/school etc and go home and have sex with partner to relieve neg energy. Mother hugs you to make it all better after a bad day in school is the non sexual equivalent when you're a kid.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:27   Link #504
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
If the analogy between this society and bonobos is made complete, then their society will be very different from ours, with sex used very liberally and with no real romantic relationships. To quote from Wikipedia: "Bonobos do not form permanent monogamous sexual relationships with individual partners. They also do not seem to discriminate in their sexual behavior by sex or age, with the possible exception of abstaining from sexual intercourse between mothers and their adult sons. When bonobos come upon a new food source or feeding ground, the increased excitement will usually lead to communal sexual activity, presumably decreasing tension and encouraging peaceful feeding." They get rid of all that sexual energy and are intimate with just about everyone, so there is little room for jealousy and conflict over mates. It would be weird (and interesting) to see that in a human group.

The verbal infodump was huge. This would normally be a bad thing, very far from "show, don't tell." But here it somehow worked. Maybe because it all seemed so expectable. Maybe because there was so much else going on. In any case, the episode sped along and was over long before I expected it to be.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:42   Link #505
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Finally an episode that explains a whole bunch of useful things.
Guess all the new info was a bit much for the kids to handle.
Their artificial society is everything except perfect and peaceful.
Looks like they just got a chance to see that for themselves.
The whole queerats situation didn't help very much either.
So much trouble in such a short time, but finally!
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:59   Link #506
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Hmm.. I disagree.

Spoiler:
Spoiler for The Crimson Labyrinth:
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 12:05   Link #507
Theo
Morningstar is Burning...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
How does having sex supposed to relive tension?
You have my sympathies.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 12:07   Link #508
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The verbal infodump was huge. This would normally be a bad thing, very far from "show, don't tell." But here it somehow worked. Maybe because it all seemed so expectable. Maybe because there was so much else going on. In any case, the episode sped along and was over long before I expected it to be.
One of the reasons it worked for me is that SSY actually found a way to take the obligatory extraneous expository speech and make it fit perfectly with the plot. That's no small feat.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:10   Link #509
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
How does having sex supposed to relive tension?
I guess I'm going to have to explain this one...heres the simplest answer I can give you.

Having sex or engaging in sexual activity stimulates the pleasure center of your brain releasing chemicals that make you feel well pleased and relaxed. The same effect can be gained by say eating certain foods or taking certain drugs.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:11   Link #510
SQA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
If the analogy between this society and bonobos is made complete, then their society will be very different from ours, with sex used very liberally and with no real romantic relationships. To quote from Wikipedia: "Bonobos do not form permanent monogamous sexual relationships with individual partners. They also do not seem to discriminate in their sexual behavior by sex or age, with the possible exception of abstaining from sexual intercourse between mothers and their adult sons. When bonobos come upon a new food source or feeding ground, the increased excitement will usually lead to communal sexual activity, presumably decreasing tension and encouraging peaceful feeding." They get rid of all that sexual energy and are intimate with just about everyone, so there is little room for jealousy and conflict over mates. It would be weird (and interesting) to see that in a human group.

The verbal infodump was huge. This would normally be a bad thing, very far from "show, don't tell." But here it somehow worked. Maybe because it all seemed so expectable. Maybe because there was so much else going on. In any case, the episode sped along and was over long before I expected it to be.
Without rewiring human nature completely, a society based that way simply wouldn't exist, but it is one of those interesting ideas.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:14   Link #511
Byakou
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
So the kids learn the truth. But it seems it hasn't sunk it yet. If it had they would have realized that the priest 'sealing' their PK was likely a mind trick.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:19   Link #512
SQA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I guess I'm going to have to explain this one...heres the simplest answer I can give you.

Having sex or engaging in sexual activity stimulates the pleasure center of your brain releasing chemicals that make you feel well pleased and relaxed. The same effect can be gained by say eating certain foods or taking certain drugs.
As much as I had your first reaction, Ninryu actually has a pretty solid question. Just because your emotionally calm (after sex) doesn't mean the tension in a relationship is suddenly gone. They may no longer want to kill each other, but that doesn't remove what caused the tension in the first place. If you killed their cat, by accident, that doesn't suddenly bring the cat back from the dead.

For beings (humans) with higher cognitive ability, releaving emotional tension won't solve most interpersonal relationship issues. I.e. we couldn't just have the World Leaders go have a massive orgy and suddenly there is World Peace. Given how powerful a PK user is shown to be, the relationship interactions is probably better understood in the Cold War-era major power interactions. Brinksmanship would be the name of the game.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:20   Link #513
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
Hi, I'd like to be spoiled rotten about this series, I'm one of the rare people that actually like spoilersi fsomeone can pm them to me or guide me to where I can find them, that would be great! Of course If I didnt spend about an hour searhing on the forums here for them I probably wouldnt have made this post. . . a mod said this recently:



Thing is, there is no Novel thread, I did a search a few times and came up with nothing.

Any help is appreciated. thanks!
So make a thread to discuss the manga or the novel. Just remember that those forums have a spoiler policy as well. If you're coming to this site just to be spoiled, you're going to be disappointed in most cases. We're very strict about open spoiler discussion.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:21   Link #514
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Without rewiring human nature completely, a society based that way simply wouldn't exist, but it is one of those interesting ideas.
Given that people get sick and die if they hurt another person, I don't think rewiring the brain is an obstacle.

However, it seems it'd be really easy to game the system.

"Hi, honey, how was your day at work?"

"Got in another argument with Sue."

"Did you make up?"

"Five or six times."

"Sometimes I think you pick fights with her on purpose."

"I do. Does that make you mad?"

"Extremely."

"Awesome."
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:35   Link #515
Byakou
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
The ape sex thing wouldn't work for human society. But it's an anime, so suspend disbelief. The author definitively could have picked a more realistic reason to explain the state of society they live in. Messing with people's DNA and behaviour, using hypnosis, suggestion, etc, that I can believe.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:36   Link #516
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Israel
Age: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Given that people get sick and die if they hurt another person, I don't think rewiring the brain is an obstacle.

However, it seems it'd be really easy to game the system.

"Hi, honey, how was your day at work?"

"Got in another argument with Sue."

"Did you make up?"

"Five or six times."

"Sometimes I think you pick fights with her on purpose."

"I do. Does that make you mad?"

"Extremely."

"Awesome."
That.. Actually sounds pretty hilarious.

I imagine their view of sex is different from ours, such as sexual acts doesn't necessarily involves romance. That way there's a distinction between romantic relationship and friends-with-benefits.
__________________
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:37   Link #517
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
As much as I had your first reaction, Ninryu actually has a pretty solid question. Just because your emotionally calm (after sex) doesn't mean the tension in a relationship is suddenly gone. They may no longer want to kill each other, but that doesn't remove what caused the tension in the first place. If you killed their cat, by accident, that doesn't suddenly bring the cat back from the dead.

For beings (humans) with higher cognitive ability, releaving emotional tension won't solve most interpersonal relationship issues. I.e. we couldn't just have the World Leaders go have a massive orgy and suddenly there is World Peace. Given how powerful a PK user is shown to be, the relationship interactions is probably better understood in the Cold War-era major power interactions. Brinksmanship would be the name of the game.
True we humans are more complex the other creatures and many conflicts over reaching aren't easy to solve. My explanation was reference to everyday stress in general and it doesn't have to be the person you have a problem with that helps with the "releasing" of your stress but someone whom you are intimately involved with or know well but that's getting into a whole other topic so well just go with intimately involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
The ape sex thing wouldn't work for human society. But it's an anime, so suspend disbelief. The author definitively could have picked a more realistic reason to explain the state of society they live in. Messing with people's DNA and behaviour, using hypnosis, suggestion, etc, that I can believe.
Didn't the living computer already stated that their DNA was altered so their livers failed if they killed someone or something so what's to say they didn't do that as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
I imagine their view of sex is different from ours, such as sexual acts doesn't necessarily involves romance. That way there's a distinction between romantic relationship and friends-with-benefits.
Yea that what I'm thinking as well.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:55   Link #518
Blonto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
How does having sex supposed to relive tension?
You'll just have to use suspension of disbelief for that one. The tactic used by bonobos is really the equivalent of offering food in hopes that it will make all the troubles go away. It would pretty much be as effective as that with humans.
I guess it's another a way of keeping people in ignorance. Everything is ok as long as you get your daily dose of orgasm. Just try not to use your brain much in between. It does make me wonder what about people who don't want to solve their problems through sex. Do they get raped until they forget about the problem? With a bonobo-like society taught that sex is a solution to everything, individuals who'd insist on solving a problem through different, more challenging means probably wouldn't be in a very good position.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 14:00   Link #519
Trajan
Six Shooter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
I like that idea. The Library did say there were Hunter Gatherer tribes with no PK powers. That fits with the Queerats wonderfully. We see them briefly as human because they really are human. But because some tribes are still dangerous they use hypnosis to stop their death feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
so your theory is the only reason they look like mole people is because the PKers make them seem that way...I like it!
Interesting. Then perhaps the real reason children without awakened Cantus are kept away from the Queerats is because they might see them as they really are (i.e. humans).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
One of the reasons it worked for me is that SSY actually found a way to take the obligatory extraneous expository speech and make it fit perfectly with the plot. That's no small feat.
Normally, anime series have a pacing problem, where a series hides the truth too long and then with only a few episodes left drops mysteries hinted at earlier and tries to cram all the reveals/answers into 40 odd minutes, for an unsatisfying conclusion. Shinsekai could have teased out the "something is wrong with our world" bit much longer (e.g., Astral Ocean), but I'm happy to see much of the world-building dispensed with early.

Of course, many mysteries still remain. Who are the Queerats, really? What are the "real" symptoms of Raman-Klogius (Fiend) and Hashimoto-Applebaum (Karma demon) syndromes? Are the scientists still in charge?

I also think Shinsekai is more concerned with how the children will use what they know to change society (for good or ill) and less concerned with "big reveals" to drive the plot forward, which is a good thing.
Trajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 14:27   Link #520
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Aside from being an excellent episode, let me add that it's the first time I personally feel, that this new overadvertised animation style is working... at least for me.

Also it is a shame that the anime took a family-friendly approach and skipped some material in favor of apes. I guess now those five pages of hot yuri action make a lot more sense to mature readers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
What an awesome episode! Now I'm totally confused.
Then the episode was even more successful, because it made you feel the same way as the cast did

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
whoo lotsa info dump on EP4.
... done right! The majority of the information was not new, had been already presented in the preludes of the first three episode. But the presentation was masterfully directed so it will appear confusing, yet easy to recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Quick! Everybody to Azerbaijan!
That was too random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In fairness to the monk, I think he's sincerely doing what he thinks is right.
So did the inquisitors and witch-hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
How does having sex supposed to relive tension?
As it does IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
Yeah, but how the hell does it goes?
"I hate you!" "I hate you too!" "Let's have sex!"
I think in our world we refer to this as rape.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adventure, fantasy, science fiction, supernatural

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.