AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-20, 18:23   Link #1
backbone
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: East Asia
Age: 22
Anime character's tendency to yell

Tadaima~

Firstly, i wanna apologize for my ridiculous thread before where it seemed i've got on some people nerves. This time i won't complain about harem is ridiculous or anime being unrealistic anymore. Instead, i wanna discuss about something trivial which probably insignificant and unimportant for us yet keep bugging me all this time.

I've been marathoning several shounen anime in this free week after 1 month of hell in millitary camp. Each protagonists of those anime possess, of course, different power and abilities. However, after reading in more detailed fashion, i found that all of them share one exact similarity. What is it? That is, all of them have tendency to yell whenever they're about to finish off the bad guys or launching their finishing strike. When Luffy was about to finish off Crocodile, he yelled like mad. When Naruto was about to launch divine rasengan, he yelled like crazy. And when Kirito launched his dual wield technique in order to finish Heathcliff off, he also yelled.

Then i began to wonder, why're they yelling and what's the reason behind their yell, when their yelling clearly have nothing to do with their battles? Is it because of their personalities? Or the heated circumstances in the middle of battle? Or....
Images
Or....
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Anyone has any thought about it?
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 18:29   Link #2
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
They are hamming it up, the louder the yell, the more impact it does and the more powerful it is.
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 18:39   Link #3
ForwardUntoDawn
Operation "sneaky sneaks"
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
The yelling is a mechanism for dramatising a moment in media. From an alternative standpoint, a yell (or kiai) is a mechanism martial artists use to breathe out very quickly during the execution of a move. Much like how we exhale when lifting something heavy, the breathing is supposed to help our strength. I think that principle was carried over into media and was taken to a new level for making a scene more exciting/intense. In-universe, they're shouting because the moment calls for it

From a personal standpoint, the most noticeable example is from Setsuna F. Seiei from Gundam 00, who more or less always screams before finishing off a major opponent.
__________________
ForwardUntoDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 18:44   Link #4
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
bhl88 has it right. It's just good, old-fashioned ham. It's done for the same reason that certain attacks have names for them that are typically shouted out when they are executed.

I know some people find this unrealistic, but others (like myself, usually) just love the theatrics of it all.


Mind you, DBZ did kind of overdo it.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 19:55   Link #5
Insane
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 18
@Backbone. I guess you should change your question with "Why those guys wouldn't just shut their mouths up and more focused on their attacks instead!" instead.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 19:58   Link #6
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
They are hamming it up, the louder the yell, the more impact it does and the more powerful it is.
HAhaha... Imagine Goku going Super Saiyan in silence.... boring.....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 20:00   Link #7
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
My theory in DBZ is that Goku is frequently seen eating in the anime, and thus he suffers from really bad constipation and must go super saiyan to go to the bathroom

Anyhow, it's a way of suggesting the character is in deep pain trying to bring out their ultimate limits. You want to be so intense that every part of you is being pushed. Unfortunately, it tends to go on for too long.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 20:13   Link #8
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
My theory in DBZ is that Goku is frequently seen eating in the anime, and thus he suffers from really bad constipation and must go super saiyan to go to the bathroom
Imagines Cell shouting after eating Android 17 and 18... Hmmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

Anyhow, it's a way of suggesting the character is in deep pain trying to bring out their ultimate limits. You want to be so intense that every part of you is being pushed. Unfortunately, it tends to go on for too long.
Now I think of it.. I see no point why do they have to be shouting.. Shouting consumes energy and limits your breathing...

I wonder why they didn't passed out after shouting for 15 mins of just pure..

"ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!-ing
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 00:04   Link #9
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Other than to entertain the audience, the other thing I can think of is:
Quote:
From an alternative standpoint, a yell (or kiai) is a mechanism martial artists use to breathe out very quickly during the execution of a move.

It isn't a shonen series, but as we are talking about yelling...
"YUNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
...Too minor...
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 00:15   Link #10
frivolity
My posts are frivolous
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 25
Maybe we're looking at it from the wrong direction. Perhaps it's not the yelling that increases the power of the move, but the power of the move that leads to yelling.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 00:32   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Gorilla chest thumping? Testicle waving?

In ancient times, soldiers would beat their shields with their weapons, chant, and yell to psyche themselves up for combat.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 00:47   Link #12
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia article on Kiai
Students of Japanese martial arts such as aikido, karate, kobudo, kendo, or judo (or related arts such as taiko drumming) use kiai to startle an opponent, express confidence, or express victory. In kendo, for example, a point is only scored if the hit is accompanied by a kiai.
In my personal POV, letting go of an attack is much more comfortable when screaming. (Not that I have tried that personally. )
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Summer 2014: Hanayamata, Rail Wars!, Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?, Sabagebu!, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Hanamonogatari.
Spring 2014: No Game No Life, Date A Live II, Magica Wars, Fairy Tail and Isshukan Friends.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 01:14   Link #13
frivolity
My posts are frivolous
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 25
Some shot-putters, javelin throwers, discus throwers, and Maria Sharapova also have a tendency to yell when releasing.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 02:11   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Modern tennis sounds like a sex orgy some times with the shrieking, yelling, squealing
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 03:18   Link #15
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Modern tennis sounds like a sex orgy some times with the shrieking, yelling, squealing
It almost looks like one, too, with the ladies' skirts getting quite short recently. It's as if they want you to look at their underwear, probably to not fall asleep from watching a ball bounce back and forth all day.

Hearing them scream just opens up a whole new dimension then.
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 04:33   Link #16
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
Tadaima~

Firstly, i wanna apologize for my ridiculous thread before where it seemed i've got on some people nerves. This time i won't complain about harem is ridiculous or anime being unrealistic anymore. Instead, i wanna discuss about something trivial which probably insignificant and unimportant for us yet keep bugging me all this time.

I've been marathoning several shounen anime in this free week after 1 month of hell in millitary camp. Each protagonists of those anime possess, of course, different power and abilities. However, after reading in more detailed fashion, i found that all of them share one exact similarity. What is it? That is, all of them have tendency to yell whenever they're about to finish off the bad guys or launching their finishing strike. When Luffy was about to finish off Crocodile, he yelled like mad. When Naruto was about to launch divine rasengan, he yelled like crazy. And when Kirito launched his dual wield technique in order to finish Heathcliff off, he also yelled.

Then i began to wonder, why're they yelling and what's the reason behind their yell, when their yelling clearly have nothing to do with their battles? Is it because of their personalities? Or the heated circumstances in the middle of battle? Or....
Images
Or....
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Anyone has any thought about it?
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT I'M NOT YELLING YOUR RECEPTION VOLUME IS JUST CRANKED TOO HIGH!!!!!1111oneoneone
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 04:51   Link #17
stormtrooper
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saimoe Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
In my personal POV, letting go of an attack is much more comfortable when screaming. (Not that I have tried that personally. )
Well some don't scream but can still let go of an attack.
__________________
stormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 09:49   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
They yell because it's cooler and more intense that way. It's also a cue to tell the viewer just how much the protagonists are struggling to win. After all these years of watching anime, I can't really imagine watching a fight between two completely silent characters. It would feel seriously weird.

I love all that screaming.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 13:03   Link #19
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Done! For! Emphasis! And! More! Power! This! Is! Animeeeeeeee!!!
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 15:50   Link #20
Soliloquy
Secret Schemer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trendy Backwater
Age: 28
I like yelling, too but if it's too excessive, I don't like. There has to be time and place for everything. Exercise in moderation would probably serve anime for the better. Yelling for the most part ruins the atmosphere. Yelling done correctly by right character, Shiki on the other end of the spectrum, we have Another, where an unknown bestacled girl goes psycho and dies in humourous fashion.
__________________
Enthusiastic Slice of Life Guy
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.