AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2012-09-04, 03:36   Link #21
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Scored only in terms of how much I enjoy them.

Accel World: 7.5/10 (interesting premise, decent characters, fairly action-packed throughout)
Binbougami ga: 8/10 (very funny, likable characters)
Jinrui: 7/10 (I can't really appreciate its humour and satire)
Joshiraku: 7.5/10 (mundane setting but lovable characters with fun dialogue and brilliant ED)
Koi to senkyo to chocolate: 6.5/10 (unique subject matter but not all of its diverse cast gets focus. Not as enjoyable if your favourite character gets little screentime)
Kokoro Connect: 9/10 (cliche premise but original approach. Great characters with brilliant voice-acting. Raises lots of issues to think about.)
Kono kana ni imouto ga iru: 6/10 (generic harem show that's done to death)
Kuroko's basketball: 7/10 (average sports show that's not as unbelievable as Prince of Tennis or Slam Dunk, and with more interesting characters)
La storia della Arcana Famiglia: 6.5/10 (decent setting and fairly likable characters, but the plot seems to lack focus)
Muv-luv alternative: 6.5/10 (cliche setting and the main characters changed after a few episodes)
Natsuyuki rendezvous: 7/10 (premise commonly seen in movies but not so much in anime, decent characters, but I find the pace very slow)
Oda Nobuna no Yabou: 8.5/10 (Sengoku setting with an interesting twist. Good characters. Lots of lolis )
Sengoku collection: 7.5/10 (fairly random plot but generally likable characters)
Sword art online: 7.5/10 (interesting premise, but the plot tends to be quite episodic with no real common thread to link them)
Tari tari: 8/10 (not an interesting setting but good characterisation)
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 17:45   Link #22
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Name of Series: Sword Art Online
Episodes Watched: 9
Rating: B
Comments: Mostly a solid show, and I much appreciate how the author has a firm grasp of the setting. The main duo has a great amount of chemistry and will lead to better things. But it's not really the show that keeps my attention and anticpation every week, but hopefully the main story coming in will change things; it's been quite a meandering journey.

Name of Series: Tari Tari
Episodes watched: 10
Rating: B+
Comments: It's a great comedy/moe slice of life show, with a hint of self awareness and the leads are definitely interesting people. The narrative remains decent, though the storyline and drama in the later half leaves much to be desired and almost a non-issue in my entertainment; this will be going down as more of a comedy, but I guess that's fine too. It's unfortunate that those character designs are a bit too simplistic but at least the rest of the show looks and feels good. It's a show that appears to have a lot of effort and love put into it given the polish it has, and seems to have built on the lessons of PA's previous shows, of which I find interesting too in the meta-sense.

Name of Series: YuruYuri♪♪
Episodes watched: 10
Rating: B-
Comments: For the intended audience it tends to know which buttons to keep pressing. I find this season to be somewhat less consistent with the rather large focus of side characters that I simply don't care about, but the main cast has managed to grow and avoid the typical stagnation of the genre. This show doesn't try to pretend to be anything it isn't, which makes at a decent staple of the season.

Name of Series: Hunter x Hunter
Episodes Watched: 45
Rating: A-
Comments: Speaking of consistency, although I technically have rated this as a B+ now, this is fairly inevitable. 45 episodes of consistent shounen action without too much terrible filler or budget cuts. Where else do you get that? At first, the censorship got in its way early in its run, but this far in, it doesn't seem like its momentum would be slowed down any time. Once again, another show that knows how to keep people engaged, and certain highlight fights of late hit with surprisingly high quality that one wouldn't expect from a tv show.

Name of Series: To Love Ru darkness (OVA)
Episodes Watched: 1
Rating: C
Comments: Sigh, I knew that Xebec isn't really the best bet for delivering ecchi goods, but at least we've come a long way since season 1. The storyline remains fairly bleh as always, and the lack of the titular Darkness is also a drag-- certain scenes were nice, but I'm not really into most of the fetishes shown. :S Mikan and Momo aren't bad, but it'd just be like picking Karuta in Inu x Boku SS over Ririchiyo. Sure, it's not bad, but I consider it the appetizer. Still, the art is good and the animation... was alright. In all fairness they picked the weaker stories to be in the OVA, so I'll be waiting. I really wished the main series would be an OVA to bypass beams of light, but alas... it can't get a higher grade without a certain blonde assassin.

Name of Series: Kokoro Connect
Episodes Watched: 2
Rating: ?
Comments: Hmm, honestly the premise seems interesting, but apparently I'm not to into the aesthetics for whatever reason, and currently have no thoughts on this. In fact I forgot to write about it in this post. We'll have to see...
Status (Keep/drop/stall): Stall

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-09-04 at 18:09.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 18:27   Link #23
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training

Spoiler for wall of text:
Turned out a bit longer than expected, so I'm spoilering it.
sudolicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 05:18   Link #24
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
The season is ending and fall is starting so let's wrap this up

Name of Series: Sword Art Online
Episodes Watched: 12
Rating: 6.5/10 (C+)
Comments: Ouch, I'm rapidly losing interest in this series. There were some really neat moments mostly involving the primary relationship but aside from that, I'm just not very comfortable with the pacing. I feel that I'm intrigued by the concepts which should impress me on paper, but failing to compel me in practice. If only it had some epicness like HxH...

Name of Series: Tari Tari
Episodes watched: 13 (Complete)
Rating: 8.5/10 (A-)
Comments: It contains the charms of Hanairo and Angel Beats with the comedy and character interactions without the wretched pacing and priority that plagued the first two anime. Actually, it might just be the most well paced work PA works has ever done, and it's quite impressive how the show never makes you feel like you're wasting your time. Still, the fact that it doesn't really ramp up the ambition prevents it from being a true masterpiece and sometimes comes off as incredibly cheesy at times. Plus the vocal songs for the last bit weren't that great. It doesn't have the same artistic feel that PA accomplished with True Tears, but on the other hand I found this TT more enjoyable due to the reduced downtime. Plus, moe done right. It seems like whatever PA does has me writing a bunch of tl;dr so that's not a bad thing either.

Name of Series: YuruYuri♪♪
Episodes watched: 12 (Complete)
Rating: 7/10 (B-)
Comments: Not much has changed here. I guess I am just not a Sakurako fan and she and big tit girl took up way too much screentime. However, the antics involving Akarin gave the show a second wind and it carried well into the amazing finale. And holy crap, Akari's sister cracks me up. And of course, Toshino Kyouko, etc. YuruYuri, you will be missed-- your 25 episode stay will not be forgotten.

Name of Series: Hunter x Hunter
Episodes Watched: 47
Rating: 9/10 (A)
Comments: Holy shit, it was even more amazing than anticipated. If it keeps managing to outdo itself, the universe might just explode or something. Kurapika is just that damned awesome and superb pacing for a shounen series. The blemishes that were in the earlier episodes are harder and harder to see, and I can't really say anything's wrong anymore.

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-09-25 at 05:29.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 04:44   Link #25
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone

Time to compare with what I've started out at the beginning of Summer three months ago... In summary, I've started out with 10 shows, and ended with 7+2 by the end of the season... That's probably the ratio I've got in the last few years despite numerous drops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

Sunday (3 Shows)
--------

1. Sword Art Online - Possibly Dengeki's Number 2 title after Index... No way I'm missing it out.
2. Kokoro Connect - I probably should watch it in Chinese anyway so that I can ease into the Light Novels afterwards...
3. Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II - If the fansub schedule is like the first season I'll most likely watch the Chinese subs.

* Honestly, I don't know if I want to pick up [Dog Days'] and [Ebiten], I suppose I could leave it for Tues/Wed/Thurs when there's nothing else to watch...*

These three lived up to the high hopes exactly as I had expected and I've continued to watch them as soon as they become available each week and have followed through to the end... I've also continued Dog Days' despite having no intention at the start to do so thanks to a certain episode that had renewed my interest... Though it's currently sinking back down after a strong middle imo.

Quote:

Monday (2 Shows)
---------

1. La Storia Della Arcana Famiglia - Oh my God a reverse harem! I've heard SO much about you! If nothing else this would definitely counts as something 'different' heh.
2. (Hyouka carries over from Spring)

*I'll keep an eye out for TARI TARI and Muv-Luv to see the response of others first before deciding if I'm jumping into it.*
[B]

Never did pick up Tari Tari, dropped Arcana mid-way, finished Hyouka with no complains especially in the final arc, and continues to follow Muv-Luv into the Fall season. I had also picked up Oda Nobuna which I didn't intent to at the start and found it an excellent watch despite it's premise.

Quote:

Friday (3 Shows)
--------

1. Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate - Been waiting for this a long time now... Fell in love with the Visual Novel's Visual.
2. Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! - This could go either way, but I'm getting a good feeling...
3. (Eureka Seven AO carries over from Spring)

Dropped Imouto at the third episode, currently placing Eureka and Chocolate in the back burner to oneshot after loosing momentum from the Olympics.

Quote:

Saturday (2 Shows)
-----------

1. Campione! - Came with a 'recommendation' from a 'Friend'.
2. (Accel World carries over from Spring)

*Ahh Ecchi-Saturday.... After failing to get into Highschool DxD last season, I get the feeling it's time I move away from that genre... That being said, Studio Feel is pretty good at balancing their story with their fanservice, so maybe I'll keep an ear out for Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai....*

Couldn't continue with Dakara after the third episode, Lost interest in Accel World soon after, but manages to hold on to finish Campione in the end.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 21:23   Link #26
Kmos

With the season ending...

Arcana Famiglia really was a waste of time, I should've dropped this way, way early on. 1/10

Of the three ecchi/harem (Hagure Yuusha & H ga dekinai) shows I've watched this summer season I found Campione the better. I'll stick with my assessment from 3 weeks ago though.

Eureka 7: AO isn't ending well with me, there's a lot of little things that has dropped my enjoyment of the show. I know it hasn't ended yet, but it's a 7/10 final and will probably feel that way even after I finally make sense of it all. It means I don't regret watching this but will need to set time aside to enjoy? it more. The soundtrack is pretty damn good, great Stereopony ED, and is probably the best I can say is comparable to the original series.

Jinrui was tops. Kuroko no Basuke: aces. Accel World very good, Binbougami was highly enjoyable, both 8/10. Area no Kishi was something I forgot to mention but I enjoyed it very much: 7-8/10. I hope all of these shows gets another season!
Kmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 18:24   Link #27
Flower
Cute as a button! ^^

Suddenly realized that I never made a final post for the Summer season!

So fwiw here goes....

A List (seriously interested in and actively following):

- Hyouka (carryover) [Simply beautiful and amazing - this may very well be the top series of the 2012 season for me.]
- Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita [very enjoyable series that is a little ... umm ... out of the ordinary, though in an effective and thought provoking way without being offensive or pretentious. very well done overall.]
- Tari Tari [a good and "breezy" series that is well done - imo we need more things like this!]

B List (interested in and following):

- Dog Days Dash [I really enjoyed season 1 and season 2 is more of the same - this has had the most "re-watchability value together with Hyouka of all the series this season]
- Accel World (carryover)
- Natsuyuki Rendezvous [such a beautiful series that is both reserved and almost elegant in a quiet sort of way, but which eventually somehow felt ... strained? or maybe as if the color began to wash out a bit?]
- Joshiraku [prolly the series I was most curious about before the season began - it has delivered most of the time, but sometimes seemed to fall flat]

C List:

- Moyashimon Returns [what initially looked interesting quickly began to go through a slow and painful process of most easily forgotten series for me of the season, sadly]
- Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate [was really looking forward to this one, and it has delivered in a quiet and maybe even ... subdued, in a good way ... but the story was so incredibly rushed at the end that it really mangled things for me. I feel this would have been a LOT better if it had gotten 24 eps]
-Oda Nobuna [totally unexpected surprise for me. was more watchable than I thought, even if not really memorable it was a decent watch.]

Tried out and eventually dropped/lost interest:

- Rinne no Lagrange S2 [more of the same from season 1 - kinda enjoyable but ... not really enough to hold my interest. oh well]
- Kingdom [enjoyed this one for a tine, but I lost track of it - too many other series to follow that held my interest - may watch the entire thing later on when finished]
- Chitose Get You! [cute and not as risque as I thought they would try to be. lost track of this one]
- Furusato Saisei Nippon no Mukashibanashi (carryover)
- Shirokuma Cafe (carryover)
- Uchuu Kyodai (carryover)
- Yurumates 3Dei+ (carryover ... of sorts)

Tried out and not interested: Yuri Yuri 2, Utakoi, Hagure Yuusha no Estetica, Muv Luv Alternative - Total Eclipse [too scary! ], Campione, La storia della Arcana Famiglia, Binbougama-ga, Kono Naka ni Hitori Imouta ga Iru, Ebiten: Kouritsu Ebi Sugawa Koukou Tenmonbu

Older series still being subbed: Hyouge Mono

Older series finally finished being subbed: Showa Monogatari! YAY! An excellent series and well worth a look.

(Edit: Almost forgot - honorable mention goes to the beautiful PV of Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate's PV background music ... it is a abbreviation of Ceui's "Jewelry Time". I really, really liked the combination of the the audio and video for this and have watched it numerous times.)

Last edited by Flower; 2012-10-22 at 20:03. Reason: Almost forgot...
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote