AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-22, 03:35   Link #4781
Gore17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
Not if you use spoiler tags.
Huh. Strange. Oh well. *shrugs*

Oh, and by "later half of volume nine", are you referring too chapter 5? Because it doesn't seem like she's calling him out to me. Of course, I don't speak Japanese, and could very well be missing some cultural clues.

And this might just be the translation, but
Spoiler for vol. 9:
Hell, the post I made earlier was me asking for clarification on what that scene meant!

Of course, as always, cultural upbringing, personal opinion and interpretation shape how you view the work and it's characters.

Edit: I believe it's been said before, but zzhk's a god-damned machine.

Last edited by Gore17; 2012-10-22 at 04:01.
Gore17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 04:02   Link #4782
Moe Connection
Basileus Basileōn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore17 View Post
Huh. Strange. Oh well. *shrugs*

Oh, and by "later half of volume nine", are you referring too chapter 5? Because it doesn't seem like she's calling him out to me. Of course, I don't speak Japanese, and could very well be missing some cultural clues.

And this might just be the translation, but
Spoiler for vol. 9:
Hell, the post I made earlier was me asking for clarification on what that scene meant!

Of course, as always, cultural upbringing, personal opinion and interpretation shape how you view the work and it's characters.
In East Asian cultures(in Chinese at least), you must give a definitive answer to an individual when they ask you out.He never tries to address the issue until forced into it. The not worthy excuse was simply ludicrous. He is one of the seven Shahanshas of the world. I can understand that it's too early , but even so you can still tell the girls whether you love them or not. The girls ain't risking their lives because of freaking friendship. They are doing this because they love him. The least he could have is to tell them what he feels about them. If he doesn't love them, he should reject their assistance.
__________________

Last edited by Moe Connection; 2012-10-22 at 07:45.
Moe Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 05:09   Link #4783
Gore17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
In East Asian cultures(in Chinese at least), you must give a definitive answer to an individual when they ask you out.He never tries to address the issue until forced into it. The not worthy excuse was simply ludicrous. He one of the seven Shahanshas of the world. I can understand that it's too early , but even so you can still tell the girls whether you love them or not. The girls ain't risking their lives because of freaking friendship. They are doing this because they love him. The least he could have is to tell them what he feels about them. If he doesn't love them, he should reject their assistance.
*shrugs* Fair enough, I think it's understandable, personally. Not something to be encouraged, supported or liked, certainly, but not something I can get angry about.

Edit:

On a completely unrelated matter, was it ever clarified on whether using magic to appear younger was exclusive to witches, or open to all magic users? As Volume 1 says one thing, then Volumes 3 & 6 say different things. Of course, this could easily be a retcon, perhaps caused by the author not having all the details on the world created yet.

Or the author forgot to check his notes, and made a mistake. Either or.

Last edited by Gore17; 2012-10-22 at 09:49. Reason: Didn't want to double-post
Gore17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 13:20   Link #4784
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore17 View Post
*shrugs* Fair enough, I think it's understandable, personally. Not something to be encouraged, supported or liked, certainly, but not something I can get angry about.

Edit:

On a completely unrelated matter, was it ever clarified on whether using magic to appear younger was exclusive to witches, or open to all magic users? As Volume 1 says one thing, then Volumes 3 & 6 say different things. Of course, this could easily be a retcon, perhaps caused by the author not having all the details on the world created yet.

Or the author forgot to check his notes, and made a mistake. Either or.
From memory, it should be available for all, but they're more potent on women in general.
__________________
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 14:01   Link #4785
XFire
Harem Seeker
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In between the Light and Darkness
Just read the new updates to chap 5. Godou is starting to act like Youth form on his own there...
__________________
XFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 19:10   Link #4786
zzhk
Summary Machine
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore17 View Post
On a completely unrelated matter, was it ever clarified on whether using magic to appear younger was exclusive to witches, or open to all magic users? As Volume 1 says one thing, then Volumes 3 & 6 say different things. Of course, this could easily be a retcon, perhaps caused by the author not having all the details on the world created yet.

Or the author forgot to check his notes, and made a mistake. Either or.
Where does it say so in Volume 1?

Clearly it's all female practitioners of magic, including knights like Doni's master.
__________________
zzhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 19:11   Link #4787
GundamFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
In East Asian cultures(in Chinese at least), you must give a definitive answer to an individual when they ask you out.He never tries to address the issue until forced into it. The not worthy excuse was simply ludicrous. He is one of the seven Shahanshas of the world.
Actaully it does make prefect sense Godou that would feel that way he is still fairly new to the whole Campione deal so the power hasn't gone to his head and isn't by nature some sort of misogynistic megalomaniac so it's pretty easy to see how he might feel that way. Especially considering what these girls do for him as far as supporting him in battle they aren't mage groupies afterall.

I do agree that Godou needs to figure out how feels about them at least now I can see how he might have trouble expressing himself though he is still in the young akward stage of life.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 19:41   Link #4788
Moe Connection
Basileus Basileōn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post
Actaully it does make prefect sense Godou that would feel that way he is still fairly new to the whole Campione deal so the power hasn't gone to his head and isn't by nature some sort of misogynistic megalomaniac so it's pretty easy to see how he might feel that way. Especially considering what these girls do for him as far as supporting him in battle they aren't mage groupies afterall.

I do agree that Godou needs to figure out how feels about them at least now I can see how he might have trouble expressing himself though he is still in the young akward stage of life.
Rejecting or accepting someone's feelings is the basics of human socialization whether you are normal or 'not'. He should know this--and that a normal person's response as dictated by society is to give a definitive answer by either rejection or acceptance. He tries to evade responsibilities all the time--most of the time in the name of normality. To be honest though, the too young business is somewhat understandable but still BS to me. A lot of people I know were already dating one another when they were in the sixth year of primary school.People could legally get married by the age of sixteen with consent from parents. It seems increasingly apparent to me that the whole too young business was just an excuse to delay giving an answer.

Anyway, I wonder how the magic societies would react if a campione decided to reveal the truth about magic to the entire world and decided to become a genuine king in a country by seizing control of the government of a country and formally declaring himself the Shahanshah of that place. It would be virtually impossible for anyone to reject or oppose him/her apart from other campiones, and I can't imagine the other Shahanshahs would interfere given that it doesn't really concern them(J.P.S might though) and that they don't really give a sh@t about the magicians apart from Godou, J.P.S and Alec.Even J.P.S and Alec avoided confrontation with Voban, even though they that he's a crazy old man.
__________________

Last edited by Moe Connection; 2012-10-22 at 20:18.
Moe Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 20:27   Link #4789
kokolores
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
Rejecting or accepting someone's feelings is the basics of human socialization whether you are normal or 'not'. He should know this--and that a normal person's response as dictated by society is to give a definitive answer by either rejection or acceptance. He tries to evade responsibilities all the time--most of the time in the name of normality. To be honest though, the too young business is somewhat understandable but still BS to me. A lot of people I know were already dating one another when they were in the sixth year of primary school. It seems to me that the whole too young business was just an excuse to delay giving an answer.
And how many of those 6th graders were truly serious about their relationships? Unless things have changed drastically since I was at that age for most it's basically just playing around because it's the first time they really become aware of the other sex and it's limited to pretty much handholding and kisses at the most. At that young an age kids just aren't really capable of adult love. They aren't physically or mentally ready.

Look at Godou's situation. He has those hot girls throwing themselves at him pretty much willing to go all the way and he likes them all. Accepting or rejecting someone else's feelings may be the basis of human socialization as you put it, but love is the feeling where people mess up the most. It isn't something clear and easily defined.

If, when I was 17, a girl I liked had told me she wanted a relationship with a lifelong commitment, which is basically what those girls are doing to Godou, I wouldn't have wanted to give an answer either. On the one hand I like the girl, but on the other I'm only 17 and something like marriage is way beyond me. If it was four girls I liked equally who did the same thing I probably would have considered running for the hills.

A harem of beautiful girls may be some male fantasy, but in truth it has to be a clusterfuck. I have no idea how a stable and healthy relationship with a harem is even supposed to work. Going by divorce rates I'd say one man and one woman is already difficult enough for us humans.
kokolores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 20:32   Link #4790
GundamFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
Rejecting or accepting someone's feelings is the basics of human socialization whether you are normal or 'not'. He should know this--and that a normal person's response as dictated by society is to give a definitive answer by either rejection or acceptance. He tries to evade responsibilities all the time--most of the time in the name of normality. To be honest though, the too young business is somewhat understandable but still BS to me. A lot of people I know were already dating one another when they were in the sixth year of primary school.People could legally get married by the age of sixteen with consent from parents. It seems increasingly apparent to me that the whole too young business was just an excuse to delay giving an answer.
What do you expect Godou has always been as sharp as wet noodle when it comes to the ladies and romance. And unless he has Circe whispering in his ear now thanks to that power she gave him it would be way too abrupt to have him express himself the way you expect him too.

Quote:
Anyway, I wonder how the magic societies would react if a campione decided to reveal the truth about magic to the entire world and decided to become a genuine king in a country by seizing control of the government of a country and formally declaring himself the Shahanshah of that place. It would be virtually impossible for anyone to reject or oppose him/her apart from other campiones, and I can't imagine the other Shahanshahs would interfere given that it doesn't really concern them(J.P.S might though) and that they don't really give a sh@t about the magicians apart from Godou, J.P.S and Alec.Even J.P.S and Alec avoided confrontation with Voban, even though they that he's a crazy old man.
My guess first they would pissed after the intitial chaos and panic from the masses settle down though I imagine they'll actauly be happier since many of the groups will be able to take formal rule of the regions they live in rather then controling the governments from the shadows.

Besides there really isn't much they can do aside from Godou I doubt they could manage to kill any of the current Campiones even they wanted too.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 22:08   Link #4791
Gore17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzhk View Post
Where does it say so in Volume 1?

Clearly it's all female practitioners of magic, including knights like Doni's master.
My mistake, I misread and thought the leader of Old Dame was male.
Gore17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 22:37   Link #4792
bludvein
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I wonder if the ability used by the Kusanagi sword this chapter is similar to the one used by the L.K. with Excalibur? It managed to make a copy of itself. Doesn't the description sound awfully alike to anyone else?
__________________
bludvein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 22:55   Link #4793
Moe Connection
Basileus Basileōn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post
What do you expect Godou has always been as sharp as wet noodle when it comes to the ladies and romance. And unless he has Circe whispering in his ear now thanks to that power she gave him it would be way too abrupt to have him express himself the way you expect him too.



My guess first they would pissed after the intitial chaos and panic from the masses settle down though I imagine they'll actauly be happier since many of the groups will be able to take formal rule of the regions they live in rather then controling the governments from the shadows.

Besides there really isn't much they can do aside from Godou I doubt they could manage to kill any of the current Campiones even they wanted too.
I strongly suggest that Godou give up doing everything in the name of normality. He's a hypocrite and he is only normal if he wanted to be. He already knows that the girls love him--it isn't about whether he is or isn't sharp on romance.As I have said, rejecting or accepting a relationship is the rudiments of social norms.The girls are helping him because they loved him, not because they are friends. If he doesn't(which I doubt) love the girls, just tell them so, and reject their assistance. If he does love them, even if he's just attracted to them, he should go on and tell them that. He's being selfish by not trying to decide whether he loves them or not. If he doesn't love them(which I doubt) and yet delays to give a definitive response, he's just wasting the girls' time and their youth.As for my example of sixth graders dating one another, I am just trying to point out that they already have some sense of romance. There's definitely a reason why it is legal for sixteen year olds to get married under the consent of their guardians. A number of people I know has already lost their virginity before the age of sixteen(Australian law dictates that it is legal for minors over the age of twelve to have sex with those who are within two year older or younger than them).Even if you feel that you are too young to have sex, that does not mean that you are too young to love another.
__________________

Last edited by Moe Connection; 2012-10-22 at 23:05.
Moe Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 23:44   Link #4794
bludvein
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Can I just say that your taking the relationships way too seriously? Of course Godou is being a hypocrite. Its part of the comedy. Nobody buys his bullshit in-story, not even himself if he is being honest.

Its not "right," but is it really that hard to empathize with the way he acts?

Besides, if they fixed all their problems there wouldn't be much plot left. As it is the situations he gets in with the girls make up over half the pages. There is an element of status quo in there by the author. Godou is at least coming to accept the idea in rare moments of honesty in the later volumes. He is making progress, even if it is slow.
__________________
bludvein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 00:46   Link #4795
Moe Connection
Basileus Basileōn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
Can I just say that your taking the relationships way too seriously? Of course Godou is being a hypocrite. Its part of the comedy. Nobody buys his bullshit in-story, not even himself if he is being honest.

Its not "right," but is it really that hard to empathize with the way he acts?

Besides, if they fixed all their problems there wouldn't be much plot left. As it is the situations he gets in with the girls make up over half the pages. There is an element of status quo in there by the author. Godou is at least coming to accept the idea in rare moments of honesty in the later volumes. He is making progress, even if it is slow.
And that is the reason why he should just give up talking normality and do things that are more productive like preparing for stronger enemies. The way how he functions right now is avoid getting 'strange powers' at all cost by either sparing gods he defeated if he could help it or simply refusing to engage them in combat.The way he is, he's gonna DIE! He's gonna get butchered by the Last King into bloody pieces. Whether he likes it all not, but getting additional authorities or not, he should engage in fights with as many gods as possible. It might not necessarily have to end with a clear cut victory to get a new authority, but the more fights he takes part in, the better his body gets used to using his authorities. I am just looking forward to the time when he finally drops the bullshit charade he has. For me at least, it's somewhat annoying even if it occasionally brings comedy. I am looking forward to him finally tells Shizuka to shut the f@ck up when she yells at him for having a lot of women around him and mind her own business. Oops, I think I might have snapped a little.
__________________
Moe Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 00:54   Link #4796
Ddraig
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Is there any mentioning yet what is the Last King? I mean if he/she is heritic god, campione, god, or demi-god? The way how people portray atm is as he is messiah who stand by people side and if so I really see no reason he had to go butcher Godou.
Ddraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 01:03   Link #4797
Moe Connection
Basileus Basileōn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig View Post
Is there any mentioning yet what is the Last King? I mean if he/she is heritic god, campione, god, or demi-god? The way how people portray atm is as he is messiah who stand by people side and if so I really see no reason he had to go butcher Godou.
The Last King is someone who is related to the
Spoiler for vol 13:
. As for his reason of butchering Godou, we don't know anything about his motivation other than the fact that he's a professional Campione KILLER. He has purged the world several scores of it's campiones before heading back to sleep every time the world it's cleansed of the Shahanshahs.He may have no reason to kill Godou other than the fact that he's a campione.To the gods, campiones are abominations that must be purged. I am sure that you should have known by now having read nine volumes.
__________________
Moe Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 01:10   Link #4798
Ddraig
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Thank for the answer. Still that doesnt identify him. I wasnt looking at who he is or his name but how other identify him from people pov. Is he a messiah, hero, god, demi-god, campione, or a real demon.
Ddraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 01:14   Link #4799
Phoenix221186
Butt Theory Creator xD
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: california
now the only thing left in the story is something like the last is actually protecting them from something else xD
__________________
I Hate Loneliness, But It Loves Me
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic209928_1.gif
Phoenix221186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 01:22   Link #4800
bludvein
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Just getting more authorities isn't something that will be decisive against the L.K. After all, the dude has slaughtered generations of campiones with upwards of 10 authorities or more. Yet Godou is implied to have some kind of unique advantage by the gods residing in the netherworld. It definitely isn't because he is the strongest, thats for sure.

I have always thought it has something to do with his attitude that will bring the L.K. down to a defeatable level.

Going on a god-killing spree wouldn't make him any different than the previous campiones that were wiped out. So I don't think thats the answer. Though I do wish Godou would make an effort somewhere instead of just waiting around for shit to go bad as well.
__________________
bludvein is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, campione, ecchi, godslayer, harem, light novel, myth, romance, sd bunko, shounen, supernatural, time travel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.