AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-23, 20:09   Link #5041
Sommer
Hobbit
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
since I hear Latin America wasn't too big on homosexuality back when GW was aired.
Nope, Latin American dub has alway been more open thant the American english dub. For example they don't censored the Touya and Yukito thing in CCS or any in that series in general. They also didnt make Haruka and Michiru from Sailor Moon cousins like the stupid American version.

And yes, in the Latin American version Quatre say he love Trowa twice, but is not the original version so whatever.
Sommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 23:17   Link #5042
FalsePrime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommer View Post
Nope, Latin American dub has alway been more open thant the American english dub. For example they don't censored the Touya and Yukito thing in CCS or any in that series in general. They also didnt make Haruka and Michiru from Sailor Moon cousins like the stupid American version.

And yes, in the Latin American version Quatre say he love Trowa twice, but is not the original version so whatever.
My god, even before I got big into Sailor Moon, Yaoi, and Yuri this was such a WTF!!!?.

Even if you wanted to hide Lesbianism this had to be the poorest attempt ever given how Michiru and Haruka act.

CCS also killed any hints that Tomyo had for Sakura as well, but then the anime didn't really go into that at all that much compared to the manga.

I never knew about the GW stuff. Only ever watched/heard the JPN/Eng versions.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-23, 23:42   Link #5043
Eeni
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: refrigerator box
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Now, the youtube vid was deleted, but the thumbnail showed an amnesic Trowa leaving Catherine to go after Quatre. So I believe it's at 19:00~, after Quatre has defeated the OZ and White Fang troops. Quatre's original line is "We've got to put an end to this kind of nonsense," but the Spanish one says something about Trowa (and love?). *shrug* Yeah, I don't know. If one of the natives would be so kind.
Oh, and compared to the other, this line doesn't sound off either.

By the way, TV Tropes and the vid itself say this is the Latino version. Since I don't speak Spanish, I'm curious to know whether it really is, and/or whether Spaniards got the same version. If anyone knows. I feel the distinction would be appropriate.
That, and if it really is the Latino version, it'd be odd for the dubbing company to slap in yaoi, since I hear Latin America wasn't too big on homosexuality back when GW was aired.
Damn you! I spend most of last night watching GW in Spanish.

Ya... Quatre saids "but why, if I really love Trowa!?"
Again, it's been 10 years since I first watched the series, I can't recall this or any other "I love Trowa" lines, and if they were in there I never took it as yaoi coupling, but more of platonic, bro-kind of love. But that's just me.

I find it very strange that any dubbing company in Latin America would do this, especially since they were always great about leaving things in tack. As Sommer said, they kept everything that I can recall watching unedited and even uncensored (lil Goku walking around naked with his lil junk waving around). It's also strange that the end credits are in English and not left in Japanese or done in Spanish...
__________________
There was never a great talent without a bit of insanity.

I don't think I've ever seen so much nonsense in so little space. -FalsePrime

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Eeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 06:23   Link #5044
susyia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brazil
No he doesen't..... i'm from Brazil in 49 episodes he never said he loves trowa... maybe he is gay only in the spanish version..
THERE IS NO GAY CHARACTER IN GUNDAM WING
Quatre is not gay he is sensitive but not gay .....he is an aristocrat has refined manners is the education that he had......
In battle he is not a little gay to me or when discussing this with someone
susyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 08:09   Link #5045
gordol
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
別冊付録はガンダムUC特大ポスター。


トールギスⅠエンドレスワルツがMG化決定。
2013年1月発売予定。

■新機動戦記ガンダムW Frozen Teardrop
「寂寥の狂詩曲・Ⅲ」
P347-
表紙はモノクロでナイナとミル。挿絵はデュオ、ナイナ、
トロワ・フォボス、カトリーヌ、ミル。

No lineart...
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 08:50   Link #5046
Faerie
10% but stupid as toast
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Enjoying tea with Kotori and Isabel
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
Unless you're loaded, then you can hax your way through like Mr. Winner. lol
But you're right, how impudent of me to assume that two top pilots of the GW universe going to Mars as Preventers would actually prevent all the chaos the novel so kindly gives us.
That guy. xD I'll never..
Seriously, there's this problem bad writing has with intelligent characters. They will always have to make them do stupid and inexplicable things, otherwise there wouldn't be a story. And that makes the whole thing look ridiculous. Imagine, all they had to do was propose tea, shoot the guy in the head and there would've been no FT. It's not as if Zechs had reservations of that type.
I doubt either of them would've. But then Sumizawa would sit there without much of a plot and then he would be sad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by susyia View Post
No he doesen't..... i'm from Brazil in 49 episodes he never said he loves trowa... maybe he is gay only in the spanish version..
THERE IS NO GAY CHARACTER IN GUNDAM WING
Quatre is not gay he is sensitive but not gay .....he is an aristocrat has refined manners is the education that he had......
In battle he is not a little gay to me or when discussing this with someone
Can I just point out that this sounds extremely offensive? You don't have to be effeminate to be gay, as you seem to be implying. Being gay doesn't mean that you wear pink, tie your hair in braids and act like a ninny all day.
Being gay doesn't make you less of a man, or less able to do your job:
"In battle he is not a little gay" - Do you really think if you saw a gay soldier in battle, you'd be able to tell? What utter and complete rubbish.

Not liking yaoi and being a homophobe are two very different things, the latter of which isn't cool.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 10:46   Link #5047
susyia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brazil
Yes i know that but tell me which feature you seriously considers quatre gay?? is not the way he dress up? the fact that he is gentle? the friendship he has with Trowa? these are the arguments that most people use to assume that he is gay ....and if there is some other factor that supposedly deduces please tell me.
susyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 10:58   Link #5048
gordol
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
「寂寥の狂詩曲・Ⅲ」
p347-358
表紙はモノクロでナイナとミル。挿絵はデュオ、ナイナ、
トロワ・フォボス、カトリーヌ、ミル。

―mcファイル5―

今月はデュオ(息子)視点。
ラナグリン共和国の大型md輸送機からビルゴ60機が投下され
ナイナの乗る「ハートの女王」との戦闘が始まった。
ハートの女王の下ではミルの乗る「クラブのジャック」が
突っ込んでいくがその戦い方はなぜか張五飛によく似ていた。
カトリーヌの乗る「スペードのキング」もビームランスを振りまわし
突撃を開始する。
戦闘を見ていたデュオ、トロワ・フォボス、w教授は3人に加勢し
w教授の「七つの矮星」でビルゴを機能停止に追い込んだ。
撤退していくラナグリン共和国のmd輸送機からはカトリーヌ宛に
通信が入る。その声はステラと名乗った。

その後リリーナ・シティに行くためデュオ、トロワ・フォボス、
w教授は武器を捨ててナイナたちに投降。翌朝にはリリーナ・シティの
大統領官邸へと到着した。
そこにいたのは優雅に朝食をとるドクトルtとキャスリン。
そして国賓として迎えられているヒイロだった。
「ピースクラフト・ファイル」を見終えたヒイロはノインと共に
現れたリリーナにも「ピースクラフト・ファイル」を見るよう勧める。
「見終わったら殺してやる」
以下次号。
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 12:03   Link #5049
rereremo
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferhb View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant! Stick to the japanese, always
That's what I always do, in all animes (I'm dubbed hater )
rereremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 12:30   Link #5050
DuoRanger
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: who knows?
that's why the old brazillian dubs were translated from jap

YuYu hakusho being the most epic

Quatre ins't homo, he's like someone who grown up like a classy gentleman, who respects everyone and hates fighting

trowa and quatre's relationship its basicaly quatre who see's trowa as a Old brother someone who he loves and respect as a member of his family

trowa is the old brother that quatre never had in his life
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 14:23   Link #5051
Eeni
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: refrigerator box
Quote:
Originally Posted by susyia View Post
No he doesen't..... i'm from Brazil in 49 episodes he never said he loves trowa... maybe he is gay only in the spanish version..
THERE IS NO GAY CHARACTER IN GUNDAM WING
Quatre is not gay he is sensitive but not gay .....he is an aristocrat has refined manners is the education that he had......
In battle he is not a little gay to me or when discussing this with someone
I don't think anyone ever saying that Quatre is gay. At least I can't recall anyone here shipping that way.

Besides, kid grows up with 29 sisters, of course he'd cling to a guy his age!
__________________
There was never a great talent without a bit of insanity.

I don't think I've ever seen so much nonsense in so little space. -FalsePrime

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Eeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 14:30   Link #5052
Faerie
10% but stupid as toast
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Enjoying tea with Kotori and Isabel
Quote:
Originally Posted by susyia View Post
Yes i know that but tell me which feature you seriously considers quatre gay?? is not the way he dress up? the fact that he is gentle? the friendship he has with Trowa? these are the arguments that most people use to assume that he is gay ....and if there is some other factor that supposedly deduces please tell me.
I didn't say he was gay or that I thought he was. I was criticising what you said, because I felt, and maintain that it was offensive and you should be very careful how you word these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeni View Post

Besides, kid grows up with 29 sisters, of course he'd cling to a guy his age!
XD and/or goes bananas
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 14:40   Link #5053
Eeni
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: refrigerator box
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordol View Post
「寂寥の狂詩曲・Ⅲ」
p347-358
表紙はモノクロでナイナとミル。挿絵はデュオ、ナイナ、
トロワ・フォボス、カトリーヌ、ミル。

―mcファイル5―

今月はデュオ(息子)視点。
ラナグリン共和国の大型md輸送機からビルゴ60機が投下され
ナイナの乗る「ハートの女王」との戦闘が始まった。
ハートの女王の下ではミルの乗る「クラブのジャック」が
突っ込んでいくがその戦い方はなぜか張五飛によく似ていた。
カトリーヌの乗る「スペードのキング」もビームランスを振りまわし
突撃を開始する。
戦闘を見ていたデュオ、トロワ・フォボス、w教授は3人に加勢し
w教授の「七つの矮星」でビルゴを機能停止に追い込んだ。
撤退していくラナグリン共和国のmd輸送機からはカトリーヌ宛に
通信が入る。その声はステラと名乗った。

その後リリーナ・シティに行くためデュオ、トロワ・フォボス、
w教授は武器を捨ててナイナたちに投降。翌朝にはリリーナ・シティの
大統領官邸へと到着した。
そこにいたのは優雅に朝食をとるドクトルtとキャスリン。
そして国賓として迎えられているヒイロだった。
「ピースクラフト・ファイル」を見終えたヒイロはノインと共に
現れたリリーナにも「ピースクラフト・ファイル」を見るよう勧める。
「見終わったら殺してやる」
以下次号。
Dude... Is this saying that Catherine pilots the King of Spades MS?
gggrrrrrrrrr.....
__________________
There was never a great talent without a bit of insanity.

I don't think I've ever seen so much nonsense in so little space. -FalsePrime

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Eeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 14:50   Link #5054
Tendou Souji
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeni View Post
Dude... Is this saying that Catherine pilots the King of Spades MS?
gggrrrrrrrrr.....
It's talking about Quatre's sister.
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 14:58   Link #5055
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoRanger View Post
trowa is the old brother that quatre never had in his life
Trowa is pretty much the older bro none of the pilots ever had. He is the only one Heero ever listens to, the only one Wu Fei openly expressed worry for, Duo's chess buddy and Quatre's dad sans mustache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeni View Post
Damn you! I spend most of last night watching GW in Spanish.
Sorry. I hope you had fun at least.

And thanks for the clarification. And for the info on Latin America's dubs. I guess the North Americans were the only ones, who were really uptight about yaoi/yuri. And stupidly so. I agree with FalsePrime. Seriously, cousins??? Way to go folks, you just turned a lesbian couple into a lesbian incest couple.
I remember the Germans tried to censor the first season's yaoi by changing Zoisite's gender. Too bad the characters would randomly refer to "her" as him every other time though. xD

Lately, censoring is running rampant though. I can understand people removing cursing or sexual innuendo in a kids' program. What I can't understand is why they remove blood, because I don't get why they'd choose a series like DBZ or Naruto to show little kids in the first place. Naruto for example has been edited to death. It's not even about butchering the story; a kid watching kids throw knives at each other, yet such an action having no negative effects (because some cucumber brain edited it out) is way more harmful than leaving it there in my opinion. Another thing is giving the marines in One Piece freaking Super Soakers to replace their guns. Are you kidding me? And what's wrong with nudity? As in, little Goku walking around naked with his junk showing? That was the funniest part in the episode. "STOP SCRATCHING YOURSELF THERE!!" xD Good times, good times...

It's not like kids are going to become messed up if they see blood or same-sex relationships. That'll just teach them how life can be. Heck, I grew up with Ren & Stimpy. Now, that's one messed up show. But do you see me talking to my snot or wearing a monkey suit pretending to be an ape in a zoo? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
But then Sumizawa would sit there without much of a plot and then he would be sad.
I find the plot to be already incoherent as it is. They froze Relena because her death would mean 3 billion people die. Okay. But aren't you technically dead when you're frozen?
I still don't understand the necessity for the time skip either. Or the incredibly varied character designs. Or the army of Catherines.

Quote:
Not liking yaoi and being a homophobe are two very different things, the latter of which isn't cool.
Agreed. susyia, being gay has nothing to do with someone's abilities on the battlefield. I'm assuming you're referring only to anime shows, hence your stereotyping, but please be careful not to voice your opinion in a demeaning manner, when it can be taken as being directed at actual humans.

I also can't agree with your "there's no gay character in GW," even though I'd like to. As much as it irks me to say this, until proven false, every assumption is correct. I could claim there's a planet in the universe populated by pink unicorns and rainbow-colored kittens and no one could say I'm wrong, as long as the entire universe hasn't been searched to prove there is none. Same with GW. True, it's not hinted at (at least for the non-Spanish dubs ), so there is little reason to assume a character would be gay. Many times it's even ruled out by someone being either married or fathering a child (something some people don't want to get into their thick skulls). But there's still a slim chance it's the case for others. Who knows what a writer might smoke someday.

That's why I don't like making claims that sound like facts. No, I don't see anyone in GW being gay. I see no hints. Even less so since the series is hardly focused on the characters and much less on their relationships. But I can't say "none of them are, period" when there's still an (unlikely) possibility. Besides, if it's not a random asspull to please shippers, I'd even be okay with it.

Well, that goes only for normal homosexuals. I will not stand for this kind of crap:
[WARNING: What has been seen cannot be unseen]
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I'll laugh at anyone's face trying to tell me Quatre is like this abomination. Sadly, that's standard uke appearance. And sadly, that's yaoi fans' standard portrayal of Quatre. Or Duo. Or Wu Fei when paired with Treize.
And here's where my kneejerk reaction starts. People like this? Fine. But trying to justify one's fantasies and/or self-projection by claiming this nonsense is in the series and listing so-called "facts," that only go from "he wears a pink shirt!" to "he's voiced by a woman!" to show Quatre is gay (as far as anime portrayals go), is plainly stupid. It's one's preference. There's no need to justify it. But go tell that to the rabid shippers.

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2012-10-25 at 03:31. Reason: wording
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 19:12   Link #5056
Faerie
10% but stupid as toast
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Enjoying tea with Kotori and Isabel
You know, Sailor Moon and to some extend the German dub is the reason I grew up not understanding that being gay was anything unusual. I'm all for kid's shows showing things as they are, blood and trauma and all. I learned so much stuff from the likes of Sailor Moon and Lady Oscar that my peers who watched standard dumb western cartoons had no clue in hell about.
Spoiler for Storytime with Faerie (ignore at your leisure):

I've never seen the GW fandom (or any kind of extreme yaoi fandom) and bad yaoi manga as having to do with homosexuality much but rather just bad storytelling which is gender-neutral. There are awful straight romance manga too, tons. Just look at Twilight.
Or 50 Shades (urk). Or bad (straight) GW fanworks.
So I like the manga version of Gravitation, for example. Because it's absolutely f*-ing hilarious. Oh, and they happen to be gay. Big whoop, who cares?

Quote:
I find the plot to be already incoherent as it is. They froze Relena because her death would mean 3 billion people die. Okay. But aren't you technically dead when you're frozen?
I still don't understand the necessity for the time skip either. Or the incredibly varied character designs. Or the army of Catherines.
-.- I know right. Well, technically, I think the idea behind cryogenics is that her heartbeat would be really slow, so she wouldn't be dead as in braindead, no heartbeat. Cryogenics don't mean frozen like a chicken, then you'd be totally dead and never come back XD "storing" is probably a better word than the misleading "freezing" I always thought.
I mean, cryogenics exist, today if someone wanted their aunt frozen for future uses. They store brains, too, if you can't afford the whole package

I don't get the timeskip either. If he wanted a story with new characters, he could've had that. He just had to expand the AC timeline, there was no need to call it "wing". Old characters could still have appeared.
But instead of new characters, we have generation xerox plus the originals, which makes no sense.
And then it just gets bizarre with the "Relenas" and the "Catherines". Even if there's some absurd way to tell them apart such as their hairbands or the spelling, which author in their right mind does this?

Quote:
Well, that goes only for normal homosexuals. I will not stand for this kind of crap:
[WARNING: What has been seen cannot be unseen]
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Yeah, that warning wasn't explicit enough. I've got to go see my friend Absolut now, he'll know what to do
Seriously though, these abominations aside (I obviously wouldn't stand for this, no matter how much money you offer. No, don't try. Nnnooo), if they came out and decided one of the guys was gay, I'd not care much. I'd care if it mucked up previously established canon, but else not really.
That said, like you, I see no hints, and I really like canon, so!

Last edited by Faerie; 2012-10-24 at 19:24.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 19:32   Link #5057
Ferhb
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brasil
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoRanger View Post
that's why the old brazillian dubs were translated from jap

YuYu hakusho being the most epic

Quatre ins't homo, he's like someone who grown up like a classy gentleman, who respects everyone and hates fighting

trowa and quatre's relationship its basicaly quatre who see's trowa as a Old brother someone who he loves and respect as a member of his family

trowa is the old brother that quatre never had in his life
You know, the dubbers didn't pull this kind of joke with Haruka and Michiru here in Br... They simply were lesbians!
Ferhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 20:33   Link #5058
susyia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brazil
Omg!! this could be a doujishi i see one with quatre and dorothy the images are pretty good!!!
susyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 21:15   Link #5059
DuoRanger
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferhb View Post
You know, the dubbers didn't pull this kind of joke with Haruka and Michiru here in Br... They simply were lesbians!
it was obvious since ze beginning that those 2 cut for both sides
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 09:16   Link #5060
gordol
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gundam wing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.