AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2012-10-16, 21:59   Link #21
NK_500
Nintenjew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
I guess men.
I guess so since its demographic say "seinen" but ironically it was teenage girls appropriated it more. Maybe the men already have Strike Witches and anything similar.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 22:11   Link #22
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Lol for me:
Majority of main cast being girls = men
Majority of main cast being boys = female

When Kotetsu was made for 40 year old men, according to the producer, I didn't believe it. Check the majority of the fandom in Japan (T&B): mostly female to ship KotetsuxBarnaby

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 14:56   Link #23
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
I guess so since its demographic say "seinen" but ironically it was teenage girls appropriated it more.
.......am I the only one who thinks creating an anime series that has a series of chibi episodes dedicated to cross-dressing Italy falling in love with another little boy (Germany was it?), aimed at seinen makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!?

Why would you put shota yaoi in a series aimed at MEN!? I understand putting in things to appeal to girls to possibly draw in more fans....but I would think that shota yaoi would just plain alienate a seinen audience?
Old 2012-10-19, 02:44   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Like some of us keeping saying, the *label* is purely an indication of the publishing company. They'll print anything they think sells, no matter what their professed demographic is.
Old 2012-10-19, 06:12   Link #25
Hachiko
The Akita

Determining the demographic of a show can come from seeing the first episode and making a logical guess from there. At least, that's what I do.
Old 2012-10-24, 18:09   Link #26
NK_500
Nintenjew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
.......am I the only one who thinks creating an anime series that has a series of chibi episodes dedicated to cross-dressing Italy falling in love with another little boy (Germany was it?), aimed at seinen makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!?

Why would you put shota yaoi in a series aimed at MEN!? I understand putting in things to appeal to girls to possibly draw in more fans....but I would think that shota yaoi would just plain alienate a seinen audience?
Maybe Hetalia is not a good example but I think there still other "seinen" anime which mysteriously attracted fujioshis such as Tiger & Bunny. I have stumbled upon too many yaoi fanarts dedicated to that show though ironically that show wasn't marketed towards them in first place. In fact that show actually had some strong and sexy women which are obvious points that show was marketed towards men rather than other way around. Damn those fujioshis.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 18:15   Link #27
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

You realize that despite marketing there's a whole host of other factors that attract people? Just saying
Old 2012-10-24, 18:20   Link #28
hyl
zomg

Just like how Kamen Rider series have huge female following and Precure have Otaku viewers.
Original audience and marketing does not mean that much these days.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-24, 22:31   Link #29
Chiibi

Quote:
Maybe Hetalia is not a good example but I think there still other "seinen" anime which mysteriously attracted fujioshis such as Tiger & Bunny. I have stumbled upon too many yaoi fanarts dedicated to that show though ironically that show wasn't marketed towards them in first place. In fact that show actually had some strong and sexy women which are obvious points that show was marketed towards men rather than other way around. Damn those fujioshis.
EVERY shounen series has fujoshi lurking about among yaoi fanarts.

Quote:
You realize that despite marketing there's a whole host of other factors that attract people? Just saying
I get that but why would the creator intentionally put such content in if he/she is thinking "This is a seinen series!"
Old 2012-10-25, 07:42   Link #30
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

I was replying to the post above mine
Old 2012-10-25, 08:11   Link #31
Kirarakim

Quote:
Here is question? Why on earth do you care? So someone likes something you don't? It doesn't change the series in any way.

I really like a well written friendship story: which is what Tiger & Bunny was at its core. It doesn't change my opinion of the series because god forbid some other fans like & see Kotetsu & Barnaby's relationship as more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi
I get that but why would the creator intentionally put such content in if he/she is thinking "This is a seinen series!"
Because if they can attract more than one audience all the better for them and sales.
Old 2012-10-25, 08:51   Link #32
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Sometimes, a major character is wrote in such a way that makes him/her cool, impressive, likeable, etc... to same-gender fans (i.e. fans that share the same gender of the character) but also in a way that makes him/her seem attractive (if not desirable) to opposite-gender fans.

That is what happened with Tiger and Bunny. The show's producers were likely aiming to have the titular characters seem cool, impressive, likeable, funny, and easy to cheer for to an adult male audience (Kotetsu's early series plight was clearly wrote in a way to appeal to the average salaryman, imo). Nonetheless, they were also appealing and attractive characters to fujoshis, so fujoshis took to the show in a big way (it probably helps that Bunny has no obvious love interest, and Tiger is a widower).

It's the reverse phenomena of what we saw with K-On! - The four girls were meant to be attractive and "moe" to an adult male audience, but they also ended up seeming cool, funny, likeable, etc... to same-gender/same-age fans. Hence, many girls became fans of K-On!

When you think about it, it's not really that surprising that some characters would seem admirable to both genders. It's not like what we value in friends or "heroes" is completely different than what we value in romantic interests. In both cases, we look for people with good personalities (as we see it), and good style.
Old 2012-10-25, 17:52   Link #33
Byakou

Little girls cutesy graphics = for guys
Bishounen = for girls
Bishojo/bishounen and looks like there's a story = for everyone

the sad truth
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 21:39   Link #34
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
Little girls cutesy graphics = for guys
Bishounen = for girls
Little girls and cutesy graphics are the epitome of shoujo manga (for the younger audiences) and there is bishounen in many shounen series like Rurouni Kenshin, Flame of Recca, and Black Cat.

..........so I wouldn't use those rules.

Quote:
Here is question? Why on earth do you care? So someone likes something you don't? It doesn't change the series in any way.
No, I sympathize with NK_500. I imagine him running into yaoi fanart of Tiger and Bunny is the same as me running into yuri fanart of Sakura and Tomoyo.
A.K.A. "not fun". Gay shippers can really ruin stuff for the fans who don't like it. You cannot unsee something once it is seen. >_> Our attitude is basically "Don't do that-that's WRONG."
Old 2012-10-26, 12:27   Link #35
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
No, I sympathize with NK_500. I imagine him running into yaoi fanart of Tiger and Bunny is the same as me running into yuri fanart of Sakura and Tomoyo.
A.K.A. "not fun". Gay shippers can really ruin stuff for the fans who don't like it. You cannot unsee something once it is seen. >_> Our attitude is basically "Don't do that-that's WRONG."
Well I think it is called having a bit of tolerance for something you don't like. I know the pairing of Kotetsu/Barnaby is quite predominant in the T&B fandom but without being a shipper I have been able to enjoy the fandom just fine.

Heck with one of my favorite series (Natsume Yuujinchou), fans pair up the main character with every guy (and one of those pairings I am vehemently against). If I see it I scroll past it, no big deal.

If someone can't enjoy a series because of someone else's fanfiction or fan art I don't know what to say.
Old 2012-10-26, 12:44   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Suddenly, I 'm thinking of Kagami at the convention accidentally encountering yaoi of her favorite characters.
Old 2012-10-26, 16:45   Link #37
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Suddenly, I 'm thinking of Kagami at the convention accidentally encountering yaoi of her favorite characters.
That was hilarious! I had that clip posted on my Youtube....until Toei gota all anal and deleted my account for having KKJ clips.

Quote:
If someone can't enjoy a series because of someone else's fanfiction or fan art I don't know what to say.
Well, I don't think it would ruin someone's ability to watch the series itself....but one may get pretty discouraged from searching for pictures/art from the series later....
Old 2012-10-26, 17:46   Link #38
Kirarakim

I'd say a large portion of fan work is predominantly shipping related. I think there are ways to search to avoid something you dislike if it bothers you that much