AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Accel World

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-29, 20:14   Link #1641
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
the author taking a break? but the only story that he need to write from scratch is AW.
You mean turning Haru into a tall and lanky badass MC right off the bat?

When I think of SAO though, I just think more Kirito X Asuna moments and less action. AW, I just think of more action and less ship tease shenanigans.

If the author decides to write AW from scratch and turn Haru into a tall and lanky badass MC, that's his call. What I don't like about badass MCs though is that most if not all of them have questionable moralities. Rare is the hero who has high morals and yet doesn't take shit from anyone, the only thing making it prevalent is the White Knight archetype, but then I perceive increasing demand for Black Knight MCs.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 20:17   Link #1642
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
You mean turning Haru into a tall and lanky badass MC right off the bat?

When I think of SAO though, I just think more Kirito X Asuna moments and less action. AW, I just think of more action and less ship tease shenanigans.

If the author decides to write AW from scratch and turn Haru into a tall and lanky badass MC, that's his call. What I don't like about badass MCs though is that most if not all of them have questionable moralities. Rare is the hero who has high morals and yet doesn't take shit from anyone.
What tsunade means is that AW is written as a LN from the beginning while SAO is like a 'port' over from his early Web Novel days.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 20:19   Link #1643
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Exactly. Does every anime MC have to be tall and lanky? Does every anime girl have to be in love with a tall and lanky jerkass and dump the nice guy just because he's fat? I'm tired and sick of it. Fat MC is a welcome change for me, though yeah, he needs to be more consistent in his character development while at the same time being realistic.

You know that when fate suddenly smiled on someone whose life was made of suck, he can't help but be skeptical. That's real life. In fiction, some readers demand that characters with inferiority complex have to man up right off the bat because they say there's no reason for them to whine anymore. While the argument does make sense, human psychology says it's not that easy.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 20:23   Link #1644
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Exactly. Just hope making Haru into a tall and lanky badass MC isn't one of the changes. I mean, does every anime MC have to be tall and lanky?
Dakara, nobody is talking about changing anything.

As for being tall and lanky... I think Haru is fortunate that compared to other action series, physical strength and stamina endurance is not a requirement for Accel World.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 20:27   Link #1645
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
The wording was "writing from scratch", I can't help but think that the LN might be literally written from scratch, that is, new twists to the story and all that.

But still, even if physical strength isn't really necessary in AW, I really wonder if people hate Haru because he's fat or if they hate the fact that a fat guy attracts smoking hot girls like a magnet. It seems like the rule was that only tall and lanky guys have the right to become harem heroes.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 20:38   Link #1646
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
The wording was "writing from scratch", I can't help but think that the LN might be literally written from scratch, that is, new twists to the story and all that.
Then that's your paranoia talking -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
But still, even if physical strength isn't really necessary in AW, I really wonder if people hate Haru because he's fat or if they hate the fact that a fat guy attracts smoking hot girls like a magnet. It seems like the rule was that only tall and lanky guys have the right to become harem heroes.


...I can't speak for other people, but personally I have a simple 'test' when it comes to deciding harem heroes- Putting aside all super powers and any special abilities, if you were Commander Shepard looking to recruit people to help you save the world, would you bring this man with you into combat?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 20:41   Link #1647
Ghanw
(-_-)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere
How far are the summaries up to and if someone could tell me around what page the summaries are due to me being lazy and not wanting to search 80pages of posts and would take along time. Please and thank you.
Ghanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 20:59   Link #1648
Flere821
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Why do you think AW is much more complicated in terms of plot than SAO? Have you read both light novels, or do you even know what the current plot is about in both stories?
IMO, AW having 'more complicated plot' does have some basis to it... the arcs are less clearly divided, with Taku getting infected by the ISS unit and Ash Roller's real identity being fitted between rescuing Ardor Maiden and infiltrating the Palace. With all that and more happening within the last 7 days the pacing is even faster than Toaru Majutsu no Index.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 21:02   Link #1649
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
So they still haven't rescued GE yet, right?
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 21:08   Link #1650
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
IMO, AW having 'more complicated plot' does have some basis to it... the arcs are less clearly divided, with Taku getting infected by the ISS unit and Ash Roller's real identity being fitted between rescuing Ardor Maiden and infiltrating the Palace. With all that and more happening within the last 7 days the pacing is even faster than Toaru Majutsu no Index.
Yup. It is understandable why he wanted to take a break from AW. He needs time to plan the next arcs. Hopefully as others mentioned, there would be a volume this December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
So they still haven't rescued GE yet, right?
Nope. He would be most likely the most difficult one to rescue unless he managed to escape but like AC got deleveled.
__________________
orpheus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 21:11   Link #1651
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
IMO, AW having 'more complicated plot' does have some basis to it... the arcs are less clearly divided, with Taku getting infected by the ISS unit and Ash Roller's real identity being fitted between rescuing Ardor Maiden and infiltrating the Palace. With all that and more happening within the last 7 days the pacing is even faster than Toaru Majutsu no Index.
But just because a plot is more "complicated" doesn't necessarily mean it's good.

And more importantly, what defines a "complicated" plot? And what defines a "simple" plot? Depending on the perspective, a plot can be both simple and complicated. When a lot of important events occur in a short space of time, there's nothing "complex" about that. Well, it can, but only if the author intended it to be so, and it's both written and executed well.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 21:11   Link #1652
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
Yup. It is understandable why he wanted to take a break from AW. He needs time to plan the next arcs. Hopefully as others mentioned, there would be a volume this December.
...=_=;

As I've been saying; there isn't any more AW volumes for the rest of this year. There is nothing in November, and December is SAO vol 11.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 21:13   Link #1653
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
...=_=;

As I've been saying; there isn't any more AW volumes for the rest of this year. There is nothing in November, and December is SAO vol 11.
I see. So, we have to wait for August 2013 then. Back to the normal publishing schedule.
__________________
orpheus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 21:37   Link #1654
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
Nope. He would be most likely the most difficult one to rescue unless he managed to escape but like AC got deleveled.
It would be a real advantage for NN if he gets finally rescued. Not only they get a Kamina for Haru's Simon, NN at full power (Black King + Four Elements + Fighter/Mage/Thief) would be ridiculously overpowered.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 20:46   Link #1655
Flere821
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
But just because a plot is more "complicated" doesn't necessarily mean it's good.
True, that. I only said there's some basis in how complicated a plot is, not that it is good or bad.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 10:12   Link #1656
churchblue
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I guess we have to wait next year for Vol 13.
churchblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 20:24   Link #1657
lostintime
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I haven't read through every single page of this thread, but I'm guessing no (western) company has picked up Accel World to publish in English? Or even SAO?
lostintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 01:41   Link #1658
Chaos2Frozen
:)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintime View Post
I haven't read through every single page of this thread, but I'm guessing no (western) company has picked up Accel World to publish in English? Or even SAO?
Not for AW, not for SAO, not for ANY significant titles in the last 5 years.

And the ones 6 years ago are now dead in the water.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 08:38   Link #1659
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
^not entirely true because there are still light novel being published in western shores and I'm thankful for my dose of bungaku shoujo and spice wolf in English and they deserve it because they are more literary works than other light novel stories.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 19:23   Link #1660
Belise
Vector Trapper
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I feel like AW is loosing steam anyway. I hope he's going for some more excitement while he's planning these future arcs out. I'm also hoping it wont extend past next year. I likes how SAO was short and sweet(Aincrad). AW seems deeper at first since Haru is starting this whole new phase of his life with no clear cut end, but then you start to really wonder about the significance of BB. I was hoping the real point of BB would have been hinted at by now. The story needs more fuel and definition. Imo, It's becoming boring at this rate.
Lawl maybe he really is procrastinating for more releases.
Belise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, cyberpunk, harem, romance, seinen, shounen, virtual reality

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.