AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Psycho-Pass

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-19, 21:31   Link #21
garbage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
AND in the end SYBIL after years of calculations determines that what it is doing right now for their society and humans, are NOT FOR THEIR ULTIMATE WELL-BEING after all and thus found a suitable person in the form of AKANE so that she can shake up the system and ultimately destroy the system that is SYBIL, therefore granting humans freedom of self-determination again (which it deemed better in the long run) and yet would also cause side-effets such as more criminality and wars and such.

just my thoughts.... well bittersweet ending , urobochi right?
garbage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 22:10   Link #22
whitecloud
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
in the end, isn't it the human fault that rely too much on sybil? i mean sybil is just an AI it just see thing as is, a data.

it did not see human as human but see it as a gear in the system, and if a gear is potentially gonna bring problem is just right to take it out, but before using it to it fullest extent as is still can be used. it is tuned to maximum efficiency after all.

P.S : by the way...she can suddenly change clothes with the hand mirror, is she wearing a a holo-suit? or is she wearing a work suit and wearing holo layer above it...interesting.. and if that the case everyone can literally walk naked without real clothes...do you think its interesting?
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 01:14   Link #23
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I just finished watching this, and when I saw Shinya's "unfinished business", I thought "is that you, Spike Spiegel?"

Also, I'm going to laugh when Akane goes rogue and starts a revolution to bring down the Sybil system, and no one can stop her because her Crime Coefficient won't go high enough for the Dominators to work on her.
You know, that makes so much sense, that I think you may have just spoiled the ending to the show, lol.

Yeah, I can definitely see how Akana's "Crime Coefficient won't go high even when she's in a bad mood" could become a very important characteristic later on down the line.


And actually, I'm already seeing striking similarities between this show and Madoka Magica (albeit that some of these are predictive in nature). I'm going to allude to them in the spoiler space below.

Spoiler for Psycho-Pass/Madoka Magica comparison:



I'm calling it now. Tomomi Masaoka is going to die, and his death is going to seriously shake up Akane and play a role in her questioning the system. That's a prediction I'm making.


ThereminVox raises a very interesting societal aspect to the Sybil system that I honestly hadn't considered myself. Yeah, I can see "Psychological Beauty" in this show being held in the same sort of esteem that physical beauty is held in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I'm going to take the Sybil system at face value until Urobuchi gives me reason to think otherwise. I assume it's a completely legitimate and effective system of measuring what information it has to work with, but...
I don't doubt that the Sybil system is at least somewhat accurate. I think it provides two things:

1. Pretty accurate "snapshots in time" (more on this in a bit)

2. By doing 1 constantly, it's good at determining which people have the firmest mental stability (i.e. the "snapshots" can add up to paint a very precise picture over time).

With Akane, what I think the Sybil system is picking up on is a fundamentally good person who is sort of incorruptible. It's not so much that she is immune to bad moods - It's that she has a strong personal sense of morality and justice that would prevent her bad moods from ever causing her to completely snap, so to speak. So even when plagued with self-doubt and lack of sleep, she doesn't give off a bad reading.

For most people, though, their Sybil system rating changes with their moods and state of mind, because most people can snap. I think that a Sybil system rating accurately reflects where a person is at this exact moment of time. The problem, I think/suspect, is that it doesn't account for how likely the person is to recover from that heightened emotional state. It just flags people in the sense of "This guy/gal is on the verge of an emotional breakdown; take him/her out, or she might do something crazy and criminal".

The thing is that Akane's method in Episode 1 should probably be standard operating procedure. In other words, you try to talk people down and you don't "Shoot first, ask questions later". And in fairness, maybe that's all the Sybil system was used for at first, at least within a law enforcement context: To help ascertain who needs to be "talked down" and who needs to be shot if you're unable to talk them down.


Anyway, as critical as I've been of the Sybil system, I am finding this to be an extremely thought-provoking and pretty enjoyable show. Perhaps fittingly, it has intellectually engaged me in a way that no show really has... since Madoka Magica.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 05:26   Link #24
Qilin
Romanticist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 23
The final semblance of personal freedom disintegrates once the government starts invading individual privacy.

On the surface, Sybil seems to be quite a pragmatic system geared towards crime prevention. It efficiently deals with any radical variables that can potentially induce disorder in society. But then, what concerns me is the means by which the system collects its data. In other words, what exactly is reflected by an individual's Psycho-Pass number?

I have two possibilities in mind with regards to this. First, it might simply indicate a person's current mental stability. Or second, it might go as far as being a measure for an individual's tendency to commit a crime.

The former possibility is much easier to grasp. The Psycho-Pass serves as a general indicator of an individual's mental health. That way, anyone at the verge of breaking down from mental stress becomes a target for psychiatric evaluation. But if such was the case, it wouldn't make sense to treat the individuals as criminals right there and then. Is the prevention of crime as simple as singling out the mentally unstable individuals?

The latter possibility on the other hand is much more ominous since it goes much deeper than just measuring mental stability. Rather, it would measure how likely an individual would deviate from the norms established by society. A "crime", after all, is an act the goes against the rules of society. If that truly is what the Psycho-Pass measures, then I wouldn't be surprised if it could even read as a far as each individual's intentions, thoughts, and emotions in addition to mental stress. Going so far as to think about committing a crime would be enough to show on one's Psych-Pass number. In short, it would essentially be detecting "thoughtcrime" in that case.

The ultimate question here is the extent of the mind reading that the Sybil system does. How much of a person's mind can it actually see into? Does the concept of privacy still even exist in this setting?

I hope the the coming episodes elaborate a bit more on the entire system and how it works.
__________________
Damaged Goods
"There’s an up higher than up, but at the very top, down is all there is."
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 14:50   Link #25
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post

You know, in a way, the Dominator reminds me of the string of controversies a few years ago surrounding the arming of security enforcers and so-called rent-a-cops with stun guns.
Good analogy. In fact, now that I think about it, the Dominator makes me think of how cops have been using tasers in recent years. I've read up on a lot of controversy related to people suffering serious medical problems (up to and including death, in at least one instance) due to getting tazed.

The impression I'm getting is that, in the real world, a lot of cops are using tasers as the ultimate catch-all tool - It's not supposed to be lethal, but it's supposed to quickly and safely subdue a person, so cops naturally and understandably love it. But it's getting overused, as some cops just grab that taser at the first sign of trouble.

Police officers tend to like things very nice, clean, and unambiguous (less chance of they themselves getting in trouble that way). And also given the dangers in their line of work, I can't blame them. But it means that a tool like the Dominator is just ripe for abuse and over-reliance, which is what I think has happened here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
Sorry. Triple R, I already called it way back in ep. 1
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=696
lol, good for you. Let's see if our prediction comes true.


Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You can't kill Columbo. Columbo's method of investigation doesn't put him in danger. He's a thinker.
I really like the guy myself, especially since he has a bit of a calming influence on the show, what with his very old-school approach to cop work that's just so refreshing in this vaguely cyberpunk futuristic world.

... But given that this is a Gen anime, that probably means he's not going to last too long.


Back when I tried to make speculations for Madoka Magica well over a year ago, I tried to take a mostly counter-intuitive approach to things. But no, I think Gen prefers giving people honest hints over red herrings, and having nice, little bits of foreshadowing and winks-to-the-audience about where he's going.

For example... that guy holding a copy of 1984 in that image. I'm not sure if Gen had any say in that image, but let's just say you don't get a much more blatant hint than that, lol.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 20:11   Link #26
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaraSouske View Post
I think it it was said in Eps 1 once you go pass certain score, rehab is not possible. If the enforcers went beyond that boundary and never comes down from it, then there is no rehab for them, unlike the girl who only temporarily spiked and came down later.
While i am assuming that once your psycho pass is deemed lethal, the gun will shoot real bullet. So when Kougami is being shot by Akane, i wonder why it is still the paralyzer.


And why does Cybil treats a 5 years old Kanari as the potential criminal?
Hope they explain how Cybil make the judgement.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 20:32   Link #27
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Spot a kinda contradicting facts:
- It is explained that the victim in eps 1 is getting well after going through a rehab. I presume that her Psycho Pass level is getting lower
- And on the other hand, people like Kougami will never get its Psycho Pass level lowered.

Wonder what is the parameter Cybil used to determine it?
This is all conjecture on my part but...

Cybil probably has some difficulty discerning between a regular person suffering extreme fight or flight responses due to emotional trauma, and someone on a psychopathic break. When you think about it, allot of the chemical/neurological brain activity of an untrained person in fear of their lives is gonna look allot like mental activity of a crazed psychopath. The primary difference is that one can probably be coxed out of this flight/fight mentality more easily than the other.

If I was to guess why guys like Kougami can't get their psycho pass lowered, is probably because they have very innate sociopathic/violent tendencies that they can't be medicated or counselled out of. So far it doesn't seem like Cybil has the ability to completely rewrite personalities, so there will always be outlier cases that can't be treated into being safe enough for cybils standards. So it becomes a matter of committing them, or finding some other limited capacity that they can work.

I will say Cybil does come off as just a little bit trigger happy based on the first episode. Though I'm wondering if allot of this is based on automatic responses in the system reacting to situations. Like if after authorizing an initial termination authorization, Cybil will authorize subsequent termination authorizations much more easily. So when the victim started growing desperate enough to set off the gasoline, the system recognized murderous thought patterns, and so automatically authorized termination in response to the situation already being escalated.

When Akane managed to calm the victim down, the system recognized that, and so deescalated the authorized use of force.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
While i am assuming that once your psycho pass is deemed lethal, the gun will shoot real bullet. So when Kougami is being shot by Akane, i wonder why it is still the paralyzer.
The gun the agents use is most definitely NOT a normal gun that uses projectiles. It seems to be some kind of exotic energy weapon with a very mean stun setting, or a "Call in the janitorial staff" mode that has to be explicitly authorized by the system. As an authorized agent of the state, guys like Kougami are probably automatically targeted for stun. Heck. that's even part of the official procedure for how Inspectors are supposed to reign in their criminally inclined subbordinates.

Quote:
And why does Cybil treats a 5 years old Kanari as the potential criminal?
Probably because he was born with an innate psychology/mental processing that Cybil matched with individuals who'd be willing to commit crimes.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 01:26   Link #28
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Age: 25
Another solid episode. Everyone gets nice character moments and we get a better view on the Cybil system and society as whole. As discussed, the whole system has a good intend and was just a guideline. However probably due to humans who got lazy using it, the whole world eventually turned it into their only choice and everything was autonomous. It is an interesting world and I want to know more about it.

The only slight trouble I have with the episode is that how Shinya casually talked with Akane about all his thoughts. Their conversation was nice but a bit too sudden. From the first episode, I thought Shinya would be the silent, keep to himself type and I was surprised to see the two bond so quickly
__________________
その再生を破壊する
Destroy This Rebirth
LightningZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 01:08   Link #29
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Why do we need the doctor to prove that? There was a guy who was condemened when he was 5 years old.
Eh? I'm not asking the "good" doctor to prove anything. Rather, I'm contesting the claim that her latent criminal status proves that she was "shafted into working for the state". Two different issues and not necessarily linked, yet ogon_bat apparently claims that one condition led to the other.

And indeed, if he wanted to assert that claim, the situation presented by the redhead enforcer would make a more compelling case.

I also drew up an alternative scenario to discuss if being locked into "working for a state" is necessarily "bad".
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Here's another way to re-frame the scenario as it is presented in Psycho-Pass. Supposing that I believe myself to be a moral person, and that I feel an overriding responsibility to make good moral choices. If, after subjecting myself to Sibyl Judgment, it is discovered that I have the psychological profile of a potential criminal. What would be the moral choice? Should I bulldoze ahead on a normal track, heedless of the higher-than-normal risk I present to other people, if I should make a mistake and accidentally (or perhaps even deliberately, on a subconscious level) fail to take the medication I need to stay within normal limits?

In my desire to fulfil my own emotional needs, have I failed in my moral responsibility to other people, given the knowledge that the Sibyl System has presented to me? How much "choice" do I really have in this matter?
Granted the redhead was probably not presented with such a choice, but let's take it he's now given the chance to consciously think about the options before him. In the light of the Sibyl Judgment, and assuming that he does indeed regard himself as a moral person, how much "choice" does he actually have?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 02:12   Link #30
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
He was a veteran cop before he became an enforcer, so I do not see any intuition in play, just years of experience dealing with these kind of people.

From what we have seen so far IMO the hue level detector is merely giving a quantification of the level of psychosis human beings have at the moment, so thinking a mentally unstable person can sniff* another is a fallacy.

*as in, identifying them just by looking at them without having any kind of verbal interaction.
Years of experience is what gives him intuition. In any case, the guy's demeanor gave himself away and his subsequent actions when confronted by a couple of non-threatening mascots.

As for making a potential mistake, episode 1 already established the psycho-pass system is flawed. It's not necessary repeat this again from a story perspective (well, not this early).
The point of this 'sniff out the criminal' plot is to expand on the idea of "contagion" of crime coefficients (To spot or beat the criminal, one must think like a criminal), and that they are to be treated as trained dogs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
How do we know that it wasn't a case of the doctor trying to seduce the enforcer, who then rejected her advances? As I said, context changes everything, and I'm sure we've all been caught in situations that made us look horribly wrong when the reality was the complete opposite.
We've also forgotten to mention the doctor starting smoking. It's a common after-sex move in television shows, movies, and real life.
As for the whole lesbian angle, maybe they're setting up a 'doctor tries to make a move on Akane' angle for drama and/or comedic reasons?
I'm kinda doubting ogon_bat's sexual predator theory, though. The two women might just be having a fling to release their frustrations if they're not a couple.


As for the latent criminal status, the only thing I've seen established is those in the working sector are treated lowly. If you don't choose to work, then you're only other 'choice' is isolation (and/or "treatment"?).
I'm also that guessing latent criminals who choose to work can only work in areas designed to capture other criminals. So they'll probably never have a chance to go back to a normal life, even if it is possible.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 02:33   Link #31
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
We've also forgotten to mention the doctor starting smoking. It's a common after-sex move in television shows, movies, and real life.
As for the whole lesbian angle, maybe they're setting up a 'doctor tries to make a move on Akane' angle for drama and/or comedic reasons?
I'm kinda doubting ogon_bat's sexual predator theory, though. The two women might just be having a fling to release their frustrations if they're not a couple.
At this stage, any number of speculative theories are possible. I don't deny the signs point heavily towards sex but, as of now, I'm sceptical that we're supposed to make much out of it other than something kinky very probably happened. If the scene is there simply to titillate a certain segment of the audience, well, it has clearly worked. But if it's that all it's supposed to do, colour me a cloudy shade of disappointed. I expect something more mature from the production staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
As for the latent criminal status, the only thing I've seen established is those in the working sector are treated lowly. If you don't choose to work, then you're only other 'choice' is isolation (and/or "treatment"?). I'm also that guessing latent criminals who choose to work can only work in areas designed to capture other criminals. So they'll probably never have a chance to go back to a normal life, even if it is possible.
That's clearly supposed to be the central theme of this story. More to the point, as many have already observed, we are asked to imagine a world where the psychological potential for "criminal" behaviour is treated like a disease. The underlying assumption is that you can statistically determine the biological/psychological traits of criminal behaviour (which naturally raises the very important question of who decided what is criminal). And, rather than to accept on faith that an individual can reliably exercise his free will to curb his biological/psychological tendency towards criminal behaviour, the state takes pre-emptive measures to ensure it will never come to that stage.

That's not unlike how we deal with the threat of highly contagious disease. We track down the vectors, isolate them from other people, and keep treating them until they are either cured, or die of illness.

Hence:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
On a side note I found strange that they used the medicine symbol for the CID, but checking this out, it isn't, it seems to be a caduceus, ...a recognized symbol of commerce and negotiation, two realms in which balanced exchange and reciprocity are recognized as ideals ... things got out of hand
Arya actually made a very astute observation, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the symbol of the CID is adapted from the caduceus symbol commonly used in North America as a logo for medicine (of course, readers are free to disagree with me; I'm not insisting that my view is 100 per cent correct).

And, if you find such deterministic approaches to controlling people contemptible, you can take it up with eminent scientists like Richard Dawkins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Dawkins has spoken on the subject. I'm not sure I fully agree with him, but provocative nonetheless:

TL;DR…
 
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 06:53   Link #32
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
At this stage, any number of speculative theories are possible. I don't deny the signs point heavily towards sex but, as of now, I'm sceptical that we're supposed to make much out of it other than something kinky very probably happened. If the scene is there simply to titillate a certain segment of the audience, well, it has clearly worked. But if it's that all it's supposed to do, colour me a cloudy shade of disappointed. I expect something more mature from the production staff.
Orrrrrr they wanted to establish that those two characters were having a relationship for future plot developments with them, but they wanted to do it quickly and efficiently? I really don't think they were trying to be indulgently kinky about it. I'm gonna call Occam's razor on this. Speculative theories might be interesting, but generally the simplest answer to something that happened is the most likely.

TinyRedLeaf. I understand and can sympathize with why you would be upset about being labeled as gay due to some weird circumstantial evidence. But that can be applied to analyzing characters from an animated show from another culture.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 07:20   Link #33
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
There's a word for that: Intuition.

The question is still: WHY check the guy's hue if you already know he is the target?
Because regardless of the Enforcers intuition, this is a state that makes arrests based on the hue of your psycho-pass. Until you confirm that, you can't just restrain somebody. If they DID happen to have a normal psycho-pass and you tackled them out of the blue, you could get in allot of trouble, since you would have been operating outside of police procedure.


What I'd like to know is WHAT is the exact problem with walking up to the guy and asking to see is Hue? The situation seemed to work out.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 08:53   Link #34
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
TinyRedLeaf. I understand and can sympathize with why you would be upset about being labeled as gay due to some weird circumstantial evidence. But that can be applied to analyzing characters from an animated show from another culture.
LOL. What are you now, my psychiatrist? Unless you've scanned my psycho-pass, I daresay you aren't anywhere near qualified to say that I'm "upset about being labelled gay". (It's a privately-held suspicion that crops up pretty often now, in any case, given that I remain happily single at my age.)

More humorously, you just went ahead and proved what I mean about the importance of context, something you didn't bother to check: my friend was just teasing. She was a prolific theatre actress even in her teens and, unsurprisingly given her chosen field, many of her best male friends were gay. She eventually came to the tongue-in-cheek conclusion that any man who is even halfway nice had to be gay, according to her "gaydar". (Because, in her experience and worldview, men who aren't in theatre are a boorish, uninteresting lot. Biased? Of course. Was her assessment very wrong? I'm not so sure any more.)

On a more sober note, for the longest time, I couldn't quite figure out what people meant by "gaydar". And it was only recently that I realised how it worked — any guy who behaved effeminately triggered said "gaydar". I don't think I need to elaborate how wrong this stereotype is, but I was taken aback by how prolific this assumption actually was. In my office, there was a colleague who often sparred with me over all kinds of issues, one of them being that of homosexuality, with her being appalled over some of the provocative positions I'd take simply for the sake of argument. And yet, said colleague also unconsciously labelled one somewhat-girly male intern as gay, based purely on her "gaydar". This despite me pointing out that I've overheard how the other interns, who all got along pretty well, had already asked him the big question upfront. And he said: "No." Quite emphatically.

To which my colleague simply retorted: "What are you, an idiot? Which guy would ever publicly admit to being gay?"

So, there you have it. If you can't even take a person's statement at face value, convinced that you know him better than himself, what more is there to say?

The whole story also proves something else that's relevant to the debate at hand: We humans are perfectly capable to profiling ("condemning") people based on our own biased stereotypes, with or without the help of technology. The Sibyl System doesn't change that. It merely reinforces what was already there to be begin with: a flawed value system.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 09:09   Link #35
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

The whole story also proves something else that's relevant to the debate at hand: We humans are perfectly capable to profiling ("condemning") people based on our own biased stereotypes, with or without the help of technology. The Sibyl System doesn't change that. It merely reinforces what was already there to be begin with: a flawed value system.
Pretty big difference between some people having a mistaken impression/image of you, and the state determining that you're a latent criminal who's life options are going to be drastically reduced because of that.

As for the implied lesbian makeout scene... I'm not particularly fond of this fact myself, but as the old saying goes, "there's no coincidences in fiction". That scene exists for a reason, and given how Akane was subtlety hit on after the fact, the meaning couldn't be any more clear. At the very least, the woman who hit on Akane is a lesbian, and she either had consensual sex with the woman who left the room in a hurry, or she at least tried to seduce her (as you speculated).


I don't really see the point in denying the obvious implications of scenes in fiction. If this was real life, sure, it would be different. Coincidences actually can happen in real life... but not so much in fiction.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 09:13   Link #36
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Pretty big difference between some people having a mistaken impression/image of you, and the state determining that you're a latent criminal who's life options are going to be drastically reduced because of that.
Ah, but here's the nub of it: One doesn't need a totalitarian state to make people's lives miserable based on mistaken impressions. We're already doing this quite perfectly every day, with or without the help of institutional controls. My key point is: What makes the Psycho-Pass system any worse than society as it exists today?

At least with the Psycho-Pass system, such hypocrisy is stripped away. There is at least some semblance of a "scientific" basis for the profiling. Things are at least that little bit more predictable, or so one would hope. I suspect that it was this hope, after all, that convinced the people of this alternative reality to adopt the Sibyl System. It's flawed, sure, but to them it probably seemed that much better than the previous system.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 13:11   Link #37
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Ah, but here's the nub of it: One doesn't need a totalitarian state to make people's lives miserable based on mistaken impressions. We're already doing this quite perfectly every day, with or without the help of institutional controls. My key point is: What makes the Psycho-Pass system any worse than society as it exists today?
Being treated like a convicted felon and worse at five years old, that's what.

I'm not a fanatic, even if I'm not crazy about their arrest procedures when it comes to victims. I acknowledge the PP could be a very useful tool. I'd be willing to compromise quite a lot on the presumption of innocence if something like that really existed. But wherever I'd draw the line, you can be sure it'd be far before the point where small children are condemned to life without parole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
LOL. What are you now, my psychiatrist? Unless you've scanned my psycho-pass, I daresay you aren't anywhere near qualified to say that I'm "upset about being labelled gay". (It's a privately-held suspicion that crops up pretty often now, in any case, given that I remain happily single at my age.)
In his defense, you've beeen oddly defensive about what is a really rather minor matter. Especially the vocabulary you've used. Haven't you talked about "accusations", "horribly"

IRL, I probably wouldn't notice. But this is a show. The clues provided make "sex" a rather natural assumption, and one that doesn't matter. Not yet, maybe not ever, except to tell us how they while away their time, cooped up in that building with the same faces day in and day out. (If you'd seen the doctor put away game controllers, would you argue there was no reason to conclude they'd been playing video games?)


Re: Dawkins: I noticed he didn't say anything about the fact we often scrap whole machines if repairing them becomes too costly. Which can be a remarkably low threshold.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 16:25   Link #38
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Spoiler for Episode:
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 16:45   Link #39
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Saitama, Japan
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
This episode gave me some mixed feelings: while we have more details regarding the different components and features of the Sybil System (which make a distinction between Hue and CC with other points), the "case of the week" was not exactly subtle with that.
The answer was so obvious that I almost felt it was a cheap attempt to have a plot twist, but in the end, it stuck with the prime suspect. At this point, the anime doesn't show a consistent measure like Kanon said: Kanehara was obviously going on an onslaught, vastly superior compared to previous criminals, yet the dominator didn't switch to lethal mode.
Speaking of the dominator, I wonder how far the sybil system can analyze its target in general, because I hardly can expect the analysis method to be similar with machine, so figuring out the drone was dangerous, based on its program alone is a bit of a stretch (although it should be "more" logical for a machine than human feelings, ironically).

What bothers me a bit more though is how Ginoza and Akane were a tad exaggerated in their respective role. Ginoza was just shown as a blind inspector, following the system without really any afterthought (in fact, because of circumstancial evidence, an inspector would have to analyse them and deal with them to see if they are proved true or baseless assumptions). It really looks like his role was just to shoehorn a "the system turn people into brainless law enforcers that can't judge a situation without a bogus number".
Meanwhile, even if an interview state the word "moe" was forbidden during the production of the show, Akane is really taking a step further in that part. It isn't like it is overdone by itself, but they try a tad too hard to have a "naive/innocent" character in the setup, which throws me off quite seriously at few occasions, due to her candid reactions. She is meanty to be the anchor of the show that allows the audience to have at least a character to root/care about, but the way it is done isn't really reflecting too well the direction of the show so far.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 16:45   Link #40
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
They may have apprehended the criminal, but I have a feeling they didn't solve or prevent the crime.

The factory originally had a system to prevent the factory workers' Psycho-Passes from clouding over by reassigning the workers to different locations, but that practice ended a year ago. Why?

It's obvious that someone (most likely the manager) stopped it to encourage bullying. The bullies clear their Psycho-Passes by picking on someone, while the bullied clears his Psycho-Pass by retaliating in secret like Kanehara did. If the victim's Psycho-Pass does not become clear over time, the manager can let the authorities remove him.

Yes, I suspect the murders by Kanehara were also a part of the factory manager's system, considering how he can see everything with the security cameras. There is nothing to prevent another factory worker from becoming the next Kanehara.

I also suspect that the factory's isolation from the Sybil System is not just to prevent hacking, but to prevent the manager from being exposed as well. If the police do not have the Sybil System, they have no Crime Coefficients. Naturally they would go after the person with the worst Psycho-Pass, which would be the bullied-victim-turned-vengeful-murderer like Kanehara. The police would be distracted by Kanehara, and the calmer, more conspiring criminal such as the factory manager would slip under the radar everytime.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.