AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-31, 14:16   Link #1501
zeroexia
he is a CHAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
Hell, even the Zabanya puts the SF to shame. While it's fun to watch all the ridiculous hax Gundams have, I must admit there's something about the (relative) realism of UC that attracts me.
00 in general went really high on the super robot scale and the Zabanya was practically like screw SF's lock on ability, I have hax lock-on.

UC, although with some super robot characteristics with the Newtypes and all, stick closer to real robots than all of the AUs.

For me, Unicorn has been one of the best because we see non-Gundams kicking ass and not merely screaming "IT'S A GUNDAM" and insta- die. And of course, these days, everybody has a Gundam in AUs to the point where Gundams aren't really unique anymore. In Unicorn, there's only 2 Gundams. (Delta Plus isn't a Gundam, only a derivative)
zeroexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 15:20   Link #1502
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
I would argue that the Delta Gundam Kai is considered a real Gundam. Though it's n.i.t.r.o system is supposed to be used by non-Newtypes to give them Newtype-like abilities. I'm sure if a powerful Newtype like Banagher got in it things would get crazy.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 19:56   Link #1503
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroexia View Post
In Unicorn, there's only 2 Gundams. (Delta Plus isn't a Gundam, only a derivative)
IMO, technically, Delta Plus is also a Gundam since it’s a more advanced version of Delta Gundam which shares the same blue-print. Just like Zeta Plus and ZZ Sentinel which are basically mass–produced Gundams. In another case, there are the Hazels which are no more than modifiedd GMs but still acknowledged as Gundams (RX-79 also got the same treatment). So yeah, the definition of a “Gundam” is a little vague in UC. One can even argue that Hyaku Shiki is also a Gundam (or at least a proto-Gundam).
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 20:08   Link #1504
zeroexia
he is a CHAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
IMO, technically, Delta Plus is also a Gundam since it’s a more advanced version of Delta Gundam which shares the same blue-print. Just like Zeta Plus and ZZ Sentinel which are basically mass–produced Gundams. In another case, there are the Hazels which are no more than modifiedd GMs but still acknowledged as Gundams (RX-79 also got the same treatment). So yeah, the definition of a “Gundam” is a little vague in UC. One can even argue that Hyaku Shiki is also a Gundam (or at least a proto-Gundam).
To me, in UC, if it's not called a Gundam. It's not a Gundam. It's up to the person, I guess. Although in comparison to Unicorn and Banshee, the Delta Plus is underwhelming, lol. Remember how easily Banshee crushed it.
zeroexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 20:17   Link #1505
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Gundam in Uc is basically a name really. one can chose their super prototype MS name as gundam.
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 20:44   Link #1506
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroexia View Post
To me, in UC, if it's not called a Gundam. It's not a Gundam. It's up to the person, I guess. Although in comparison to Unicorn and Banshee, the Delta Plus is underwhelming, lol. Remember how easily Banshee crushed it.
Well the Banshee was fresh off the works and was pretty powerful with the newest toys and was meant for a Newtype. The Delta Plus isn't made for Newtypes and isn't exactly new and its armaments aren't anything to snuff at. Which is why the Delta Gundam Kai is so amazing and it even have Wave Rider Mode and Funnels! Said Funnels are, of course, useable by non-Newtypes as well due to the n.i.t.r.o system though I'm sure costs would get in the way of any more than a few ever being made.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 20:47   Link #1507
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroexia View Post
Although in comparison to Unicorn and Banshee, the Delta Plus is underwhelming, lol. Remember how easily Banshee crushed it.
Being underwhelming compared to other Gundams does not mean that a Gundam is not a “Gundam”. Delta Plus’ performance is impressive. You can have Delta Plus fight on par with (or even out-performed) Zeta Gundam anytime. Unicorn and Banshee’s specs are just more powerful than Delta and that is not surprising. For example, make RX-78-2 fight the Zeta with an equally good pilots and I bet RX-78-2 won’t last 5 minutes. Does that make RX-78-2 not a Gundam?
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 20:52   Link #1508
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Marida believe the Delta Plus to be a Gundam?
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 20:54   Link #1509
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
Yes she thought it was a Gundam that's why she went crazy for it. In SD Gundam G Generation Overworld she also activates her Dynamic Kill on the Delta which only works on "Gundams".
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 20:58   Link #1510
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Marida believe the Delta Plus to be a Gundam?
That too!
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 14:22   Link #1511
zeroexia
he is a CHAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Being underwhelming compared to other Gundams does not mean that a Gundam is not a “Gundam”. Delta Plus’ performance is impressive. You can have Delta Plus fight on par with (or even out-performed) Zeta Gundam anytime. Unicorn and Banshee’s specs are just more powerful than Delta and that is not surprising. For example, make RX-78-2 fight the Zeta with an equally good pilots and I bet RX-78-2 won’t last 5 minutes. Does that make RX-78-2 not a Gundam?
I was merely stating the fact that the Delta Plus neither has the name Gundam in it nor have anywhere near the same capabilities as the main Gundams. I think you misunderstood me. Being underwhelming was not a reason that disqualifies it from being a Gundam.

IMHO, it doesn't exhibit the same presence as a Gundam. Hence why nobody calls it a Gundam except a disoriented Maria who isn't in her right mind, who upon seeing it and its similarities with Gundams believed it to be a Gundam. It come from Delta Gundam anyway.

Ahh, it's just confusing. I think everyone should just decide what's a Gundam and what isn't.

As I said before, for me, if it doesn't have Gundam in its name, then it isn't a Gundam.

If you say Delta Plus is a Gundam, that's fine too. Doesn't really make much of a difference in the end. Anybody can call their mobile suit a Gundam.

I mean it's only a name. There's been a fake giant Gundam head , hasn't there?

And even Gundams can die to grunts.
zeroexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 15:43   Link #1512
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
Those in the industry disagree with you. Officially the Delta Plus is a Gundam even if it's underwhelming in comparison to the Unicorn. So it isn't just Marida calling it a Gundam for the heck of it.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 15:56   Link #1513
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Those in the industry disagree with you. Officially the Delta Plus is a Gundam even if it's underwhelming in comparison to the Unicorn. So it isn't just Marida calling it a Gundam for the heck of it.
Actually, those in the industry disagree with you. Easiest way to check to see if it's officially considered a Gundam or not is to check the name of the model boxart.

The Delta Plus's boxart does not label it as the Delta Plus Gundam. Ergo, not "officially" a Gundam.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 16:19   Link #1514
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
No, it is a Gundam and is a part of the Delta series which are Gundams(The Delta Plus being developed from the Data based off the Delta Gundam and not the Hyaku Shiki). The Delta and Delta Kai even use the Gundam name as well with the Kai even getting a V Fin. Only the Hyaku Shiki has doubts whether it's a Gundam or not due to its development. However, the intent originally was to make it into a Gundam(Delta Gundam to be specific) that could transform into a Waverider form so I stand that it's still a Gundam in heart even if there were complications.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 16:23   Link #1515
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
No, it is a Gundam and is a part of the Delta series which are Gundams. The Delta and Delta Kai even use the Gundam name as well with the Kai even getting a V Fin. Only the Hyaku Shiki has doubts whether it's a Gundam or not due to its development though the intent originally was to make it into a Gundam that could transform into a Waverider form so I stand that it's a Gundam in heart.
Partially correct. The Delta Gundam is indeed considered a Gundam and what was the Hyaku Shiki would've been had it been completed with the transformation ability.

The Delta Plus, however, is not recognized as an official Gundam, despite having been developed from the Delta Gundam. Similarly, the GM is not considered a Gundam despite having been developed from the original Gundam--it's the same thing in this instance.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 16:35   Link #1516
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
The GM was made for mass production(And stripped down heavily) and has very few if anything resembling that of a real Gundam hence why those like Char don't even acknowledge it as a Gundam in the OYW. Not even the Feds considered the GMs as Gundams due to the many differences between the Gundam and a GM despite the GM being created based off the data of the Gundam.

However the Delta Plus was created as a successor(And it is a clear improvement over it) to the Delta Gundam and was only pushed through limited production. That and outside the Unicorn and Banshee it was clearly beyond that of a mass produced variant and fit in with the whole Gundam theme.

Marida calling it a Gundam isn't a spur of the moment thing since she didn't consider any other mecha but the Unicorn and the Delta Plus as Gundams. Which means she most likely had data on the Delta series(Since it's very unlikely she's ever seen the Hyaku Shiki) at the very least which was a Gundam series even if it was a failed one.

It also makes sense that she would have data on the Delta Plus(Most likely provided by the family that screwed with her head) considering it was one of the higher end MS at the moment. That and she's already faced it a few times(Albeit she did ignore it more in favor of fighting the Unicorn), of course she wasn't Gundam crazy until after the mind screw...

GM Series isn't considered Gundam, it's a mass production series.
Delta series is.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 16:47   Link #1517
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
The GM was made for mass production(And stripped down heavily) and has very few if anything resembling that of a real Gundam hence why those like Char don't even acknowledge it as a Gundam in the OYW. Not even the Feds considered the GMs as Gundams due to the many differences between the Gundam and a GM despite the GM being created based off the data of the Gundam.

However the Delta Plus was created as a successor(And it is a clear improvement over it) to the Delta Gundam and was only pushed through limited production. That and outside the Unicorn and Banshee it was clearly beyond that of a mass produced variant and fit in with the whole Gundam theme.
So? By your own logic of the Delta Plus being a Gundam because it was developed from the Delta Gundam, the GM should also be considered a Gundam because it was developed from the RX-78-2 Gundam. But it's not.

As such, the Delta Plus, superior or otherwise, is still not officially recognized as a Gundam, however similar in appearance it is to one. If you have any official documentation, such as an official boxart or an interview excerpt or something that states otherwise, feel free to post it and I'll acknowledge it. But as far as I know, the Delta Plus still isn't considered an official Gundam like the Delta or Unicorn Gundams are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Marida calling it a Gundam isn't a spur of the moment thing since she didn't consider any other mecha but the Unicorn and the Delta Plus as Gundams. Which means she most likely had data on the Delta series(Since it's very unlikely she's ever seen the Hyaku Shiki) at the very least which was a Gundam series even if it was a failed one.

It also makes sense that she would have data on the Delta Plus(Most likely provided by the family that screwed with her head) considering it was one of the higher end MS at the moment. That and she's already faced it a few times(Albeit she did ignore it more in favor of fighting the Unicorn), of course she wasn't Gundam crazy until after the mind screw...
Actually, I'm pretty sure that Marida called it a Gundam and freaked out because it looked similar to a Gundam, that's all. Regardless, it's a moot point--official media still doesn't recognize it as a Gundam, and no, her ability in whatever SRW game doesn't really count towards official recognition.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 16:55   Link #1518
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
No, it's a Gundam because it's of the Delta series which is a Gundam series and the fact that it was developed from the Delta Gundam and than based off that the Delta Gundam Kai was made. It would be silly to go Gundam -> Not Gundam -> Gundam in the same series(And using the same name) in such a short time frame especially when all are limited production prototype models(And the Delta Plus looks just like a modified Delta Gundam).

Or, depending where you look, the Delta Plus could also be considered the development of the Delta Gundam and Delta Gundam Kai despite that making little sense due to the Delta Plus just being a better Delta Gundam and not looking all that much like the Delta Gundam Kai(Which has much higher specs and a special n.i.t.r.o system on top of looking like a real Gundam).

Sadly I don't have the funds to purchase a lot of that stuff(Most of that goes towards other stuff though I do want to get a Delta Gundam Kai model eventually) and my Japanese isn't all that great so even if I did have something I wouldn't be able to share it or even know what to share considering what I do know is too rough, far in between, and the literal translations that do come out(Literal Japanese -> English) are confusing to me and that they tend to lose a lot of the meaning behind them.

Of course it looks like a Gundam, it was based off the Delta Gundam(As a clear improvement and not a chopped down Mass Production unit that looks vastly different than the MS it's developed from) and the Delta Gundam Kai comes after it which, unlike the Delta Gundam and Delta Plus, was given a more Gundamy look compared to the other Gundams in the Delta series.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 17:03   Link #1519
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
No, it's a Gundam because it's of the Delta series which is a Gundam series and the fact that it was developed from the Delta Gundam and than based off that the Delta Gundam Kai was made. It would be silly to go Gundam -> Not Gundam -> Gundam in the same series in such a short time frame especially when all are limited production prototype models(And the Delta Plus looks just like a modified Delta Gundam).

Or, depending where you look, the Delta Plus could also be considered the development of the Delta Gundam and Delta Gundam Kai despite that making little sense due to the Delta Plus just being a better Delta Gundam and not looking all that much like the Delta Gundam Kai(Which has much higher specs and a special n.i.t.r.o system on top of looking like a real Gundam).
So in other words, no you have no actual written/documented proof that it's recognized officially as a Gundam. Well, once you do we'll talk then, because there's no point in this run-around you're attempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Sadly I don't have the funds to purchase a lot of that stuff(Most of that goes towards other stuff though I do want to get a Delta Gundam Kai model eventually) and my Japanese isn't all that great so even if I did have something I wouldn't be able to share it or even know what to share considering what I do know is too rough and not literal translations due to how confusing literal translations end up being from Japanese -> English to me and that they tend to lose a lot of the meaning behind them.
Well that's the beauty of the internet, you don't have to pay money to post a scanned picture of a model's boxart to make your point. That said, I have looked at the boxart for the Delta Plus and it's not listed as a Gundam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Of course it looks like a Gundam, it was based off the Delta Gundam(As a clear improvement and not a chopped down Mass Production unit that looks vastly different than the MS it's developed from) and the Delta Gundam Kai comes after it which, unlike the Delta Gundam and Delta Plus, was given a more Gundamy look compared to the other Gundams in the Delta series.
There's numerous mobile suits in the franchise that look like Gundams despite not being Gundams. Just because it has a head similar to a Gundam isn't enough to make it actually a Gundam--the ZII, another successor to the Zeta Gundam project of mobile suits (of which the Delta Gundam and Delta Plus are a part of) has a Gundam head, complete with V-fin and chin and dual eye optics, but lacks any designation as a Gundam. This occurrence is common in the franchise, and not just limited to UC.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 19:43   Link #1520
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
I think Destined is just confused between Delta Plus being technically a Gundam and officially a Gundam. Delta Plus might be technically a Gundam since itís an improvement over Delta Gundam (unlike GM, which is a downgraded version of RX-78-2). Still, Rising is right about Delta Plus never officially considered a Gundam.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.