AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 18
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 16 14.68%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 30 27.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 29 26.61%
7 out of 10 : Good... 20 18.35%
6 out of 10 : Average... 5 4.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 2 1.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.92%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 3 2.75%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 3 2.75%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-03, 19:11   Link #41
Witheirate
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wichita
Somehow this episodes reminds me of Silica
__________________
Witheirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 19:12   Link #42
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Yui? You mean Suguha?
Yea lol. Not really good on the names here except for Kirito and Asuna tbh...
__________________
Tenchi Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 19:52   Link #43
Vsin
Aldracity
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
What the...I know they want service, but just giving a 5s long, panning shot of her T is kinda lazy.

Whew, I was worried that they might decide to open [the scene that the cliffhanger is leading up to] this EP and then finish the other half next EP...mostly because they also pulled that with Kirito's first fight in ALO. Thank goodness they didn't.

I think we're kinda hung up about Sugu's whole imotou love thing because this sort of dynamic has been overused over the past couple years. It was likely far more special back when ALO was first written. That, and Oreimo kinda wore everyone out.

Asuna's situation is kinda irritating, but at least she's not a rag doll. I mean, it's strongly implied that she's acting for the proverbial camera while desperately finding a way to get out. Pretty much any other character would be crying "Help me Kirito" incessantly. Of course, I don't think anybody can really put up with Sugou copping even more feels.

Also...the exception of "direct vision censoring, but reflections are not censored" seems like they just overlooked that possibility. I'm mildly reminded of Yureka, where there's a spell that blocks all projectiles, but cannot block projectiles that were reflected.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 19:58   Link #44
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
I think I'm gonna drop this. This show has really waned on me since the new game started. I just can't take how Kirito has been just given all of this power in a new game and can practically do whatever he wants(least that's what it feels like). At least in SAO, it felt like, despite being a beta tester, he had to work from the ground-up to become as strong as he did, and with inherit major risks(because traveling solo in an mmo is tantamount to suicide). Here, he's just given all this power. True enough, he did 'earn' his power from SAO, but the way he just can oppose anything he wants because of this strength coming into a new game really feels like cheating.

Then there's the whole Sugu thing. Cute girl she is, and I like seeing her develop(and the fanservice =03) but she is nothing but an unrequited love that is set up to fail, on BOTH sides of the fence. And I HATE unrequited loves >=01. I could at least tolerate it if it was like Liz; a one-ep thing, or only in the real world, but not in the virtual world too. I think I'll pull out while I'm ahead. SAO wasn't perfect, but it was a fun ride. This ALO is just making me facepalm every week in succession.
__________________
Even young love hurts MAL account

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 20:17   Link #45
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wisconsin
It IS cheating. >_>

Kirito even acknowledges it as such. I think under normal circumstances he'd be a bit more principled, but since he's here to find out what might've happened to Asuna he'll just use whatever means necessary.

On that note, I get the impression that Kirito is actually kind of using Lyfa. Not in a particularly malicious way, but I get the feeling he recognizes that she's attracted to him, but rather than breaking it to her he'd rather avoid hurting her feelings / making things awkward / risk losing a potential ally.

That and he seemingly keeps going "Hey. How about that Recon kid, he seems nice, eh? *Wink Wink* *Nudge Nudge*"
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 20:18   Link #46
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I just can't take how Kirito has been just given all of this power in a new game and can practically do whatever he wants(least that's what it feels like). […] Here, he's just given all this power...
Not trying to change your opinion but has Kirito's "power" actually played any role in the plot so far other than allowing him to travel with Leafa? Here in this episode, Kirito standing up to Leafa's party leader wasn't resolved by his power but public pressure. (Kirito wouldn't even be able to fight back anyway.) Even beyond this episode, is his power even going to help given who he's up against? So not necessarily saying you're wrong, but I do sort of wonder "why now"?
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 20:22   Link #47
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Well you're only 29 and have 50 years dating experience so you must cheat too

owned

Why do you hate unrequited love stories (and SAO's in particular, to be on-topic), out of curiosity?
Dr. Casey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 20:33   Link #48
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I think I'm gonna drop this. This show has really waned on me since the new game started. I just can't take how Kirito has been just given all of this power in a new game and can practically do whatever he wants(least that's what it feels like). At least in SAO, it felt like, despite being a beta tester, he had to work from the ground-up to become as strong as he did, and with inherit major risks(because traveling solo in an mmo is tantamount to suicide). Here, he's just given all this power. True enough, he did 'earn' his power from SAO, but the way he just can oppose anything he wants because of this strength coming into a new game really feels like cheating.
Sigurd backed down because if he killed an unarmed and defenceless player, his reputation would drop a lot. In games reputation means a lot, nobody wants to party with someone like that, which would isolate him from other players.

In terms of skills and perhaps levels (if they apply in ALO) he may be ahead of other players, but in the end he still has to free Asuna. To free her, he has to get past Sugou, who is basically the administrator of ALO like Heathcliff, beyond any player,and can give himself e.g. [Immortal Object] status. His strength (game stats) won't mean much if he can't rescue Asuna.
__________________
Awrya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 20:40   Link #49
yankky5
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Between a dragon(China) and a kangaroo(Australia)
Seriously suguhu seems to be a better heroin than Asuna
__________________
http://www.wallpaperhere.com/thumbnails/detail/20111109/4eba21545dc9a.jpg
yankky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 20:43   Link #50
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I just can't take how Kirito has been just given all of this power in a new game and can practically do whatever he wants(least that's what it feels like).
shrug, Kirito's in-game stats in ALO means as much to his goal as a soldier's CoD skills matter on a real battlefield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankky5 View Post
Seriously suguhu seems to be a better heroin than Asuna
Well it depends, is Sugu a cake or powder?

But yea, Suguha IS the main heroine for most of ALO.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 20:56   Link #51
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Nice episode...

Yui done it again!!! Yui just made Suguha realized she is a Brocom....

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I just can't take how Kirito has been just given all of this power in a new game and can practically do whatever he wants(least that's what it feels like).
Power? Hmmmm...... don't know... I think he still the same clumsy guy that has the chrarms and luck. I think he just inherited the stats he previously has in SAO.

Or this: Devotion, Dedication, Determination, Luck and Love

If that's it then... I wonder how he he managed to defeat SAO in the first place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankky5 View Post
Seriously suguhu seems to be a better heroin than Asuna
To be honest.. She is the heroine of ALO arc and she has lot of exposure in it. But Asuna is still the main heroine of all arcs IMHO.

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-11-03 at 21:09.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 21:13   Link #52
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Sigurd backed down because if he killed an unarmed and defenceless player, his reputation would drop a lot. In games reputation means a lot, nobody wants to party with someone like that, which would isolate him from other players.

In terms of skills and perhaps levels (if they apply in ALO) he may be ahead of other players, but in the end he still has to free Asuna. To free her, he has to get past Sugou, who is basically the administrator of ALO like Heathcliff, beyond any player,and can give himself e.g. [Immortal Object] status. His strength (game stats) won't mean much if he can't rescue Asuna.
I'm aware of why Sigurd backed down, but come on, we know Kirito wouldn't be so smug if he didn't inherit those stats from SAO. Even if his main goal is to rescue Asuna, he'll need strength to get there. I realize that given the short amount of time he has before the whole Sugou thing, and to stand any type of chance against other forces/factions, he needs to go into the game powered up, but I just can't look at it so simply. It's not something I can describe well, but it just rubs me the wrong way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Well you're only 29 and have 50 years dating experience so you must cheat too

owned

Why do you hate unrequited love stories (and SAO's in particular, to be on-topic), out of curiosity?
Made me laugh X03!

Hmmm, I'd say because for the longest time, I generally found that the char I liked was usually the one who got shafted(and usually in an unrequited fashion) over some vixen who just happened to show up out of nowhere. And after seeing it nth times, it grew to be an extreme annoyance to me >=01. It's clear that Kirito isn't going to fall in love with Sugu here. He loves Asuna; no doubt about that. Asuna didn't really "come out of nowhere" either after spending two years in the game with him. So why? Why couldn't Kirito simply be someone Sugu subtly admired? Why constantly make these scenes where Leafa seems to fall for him? Why fall for him so quickly? Why not make it her own determination to leaf(har har) her guild/group instead of Kirito's? Why make it into love, both in-game and real life, when it's clear as day he will never see it that way? I don't know how to explain it, but it's just irritating to watch.
__________________
Even young love hurts MAL account

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 21:19   Link #53
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: edge of my dream in the land of twilight...ZzzZzZ
What on earth was Kirito munching on that gave Leafa such a funny reaction? Spicy liquorice candy?
__________________
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 21:22   Link #54
Nezu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
What on earth was Kirito munching on that gave Leafa such a funny reaction? Spicy liquorice candy?
From the way it looked, it was a spicy cinnamon stick or the like. I've had some irl that looked like that, sort of related to bamboo and really spicy.
Nezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 21:25   Link #55
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York USA
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I'm aware of why Sigurd backed down, but come on, we know Kirito wouldn't be so smug if he didn't inherit those stats from SAO. Even if his main goal is to rescue Asuna, he'll need strength to get there. I realize that given the short amount of time he has before the whole Sugou thing, and to stand any type of chance against other forces/factions, he needs to go into the game powered up, but I just can't look at it so simply. It's not something I can describe well, but it just rubs me the wrong way.
Kirito has become more sociable because of his time spent in SAO. His strength of character, not stats, is the reason he stood up against Sigurd. Even if all his stats were 1, you can bet your ass he would still do the same. From what was depicted in the anime and novel, Kirito isn't arrogant enough to feel a sense of superiority just because of the lvl of his character.
__________________
Epicness
Polarpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 21:30   Link #56
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Type-00
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankky5 View Post
Seriously suguhu seems to be a better heroin than Asuna
Don't completely agree yet, but I'm getting there. Being torn between those two is most likely inevitable in the end. Suguha needs some self-restraint though. I feel bad for Nagata getting hit at the abdomen like that.

Oh, and Yui was just absolutely adorable in this episode. The way she woke up and the part where she kissed Kirito. Ah, her dad was so mean though. Shoving Yui inside his pocket like that. ;_;

Images
domestic abuse
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 21:39   Link #57
Green²
It's Magic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Up and to the Left
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
What on earth was Kirito munching on that gave Leafa such a funny reaction? Spicy liquorice candy?
Pixy Stix, no doubt.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 21:50   Link #58
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
And this week on AnimeSuki, jaded feminists prove that it's wrong for a girl to ever need help from someone, even though the situation makes sense in the context of the story and remains consistent with her previous characterization (Asuna's as strong-willed as ever, but her former physical strength and badassery in SAO hinged upon the fact that she'd been given plenty of time to level grind and raise her facts) and the story generally treats both genders equally with Asuna having rescued Kirito more than the reverse up to this point.
It makes sense because Kawahara chose to write this arc with Asuna depowered and held prisoner by a creepy stalker dude who wants to rape her. He could've come up with any kind of plot to continue the story, but he chose the one that puts Asuna in peril of being raped. And worst of all, the scene with Asuna being groped isn't even about Asuna or the psychological damage she's suffering -- no, it's an excuse to further prove how evil Sugou is, because apparently Kawahara thinks his audience is so brain damaged they haven't noticed the giant red neon VILLAIN sign hanging over his head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Did you miss the part where she's planning her own escape?
Which doesn't change that she's currently stuck in a cage getting groped by Mr. Rapeypants while the audience is rooting for Kirito to gallop in on his white horse and give Sugou a beat-down.

Quote:
Honestly, the way it's set-up right now, Kirito is just having fun playing around in a new game while Asuna is completely in charge of her own fate. Absolutely nothing Kirito has done has brought him even one step closer to rescuing her.
If Asuna were completely in charge, Sugou wouldn't've been feeling her up.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 21:58   Link #59
Vmem
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Ahh, the Sugu fan service just keeps increasing! Unlike Asuna, it seems the anime directors set her up to be a service girl from the start of ALO lol. also, is it just me or has her boobs gotten progressively bigger over the last 3 episodes?

That aside, they taught Kirito how to land!!! cmon, face plant one last time before they walk into the caves? just for old time's sake?

On a side note, they made Recon a sorrier character than I had pictured him from the LN... oh well
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 22:04   Link #60
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako
It makes sense because Kawahara chose to write this arc with Asuna depowered and held prisoner by a creepy stalker dude who wants to rape her. He could've come up with any kind of plot to continue the story, but he chose the one that puts Asuna in peril of being raped. And worst of all, the scene with Asuna being groped isn't even about Asuna or the psychological damage she's suffering -- no, it's an excuse to further prove how evil Sugou is, because apparently Kawahara thinks his audience is so brain damaged they haven't noticed the giant red neon VILLAIN sign hanging over his head.
What's wrong with her being depowered in a new RPG, though? That's how the genre works; before becoming a demi-god badass, you've gotta do your time and kill some slimes. At level 1 you're pretty defenseless against all the world's creatures. Sugou could've easily done the same thing to her in Sword Art Online the November of 2022.

And I dunno, I don't think the molestation stuff is rubbing things in too thick. It's not altogether uncommon for terrible people in reality to relish in doing unnecessary terrible things. Just comes with the territory of being a sicko.
Dr. Casey is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.