AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 8 16.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 32.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 28.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 14.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 10.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-03, 18:11   Link #41
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Age: 29
I consider the first part of this episode to be a rare failure in terms of storytelling, which kills me because I love this show to death. I understand what happened with Satoru's cantus perfectly, but the random minoshiro hallucination went on forever, especially if they're not going to give any information about what we're supposed to be watching.

Also, people mentioned that Saki can't have her cantus given back because neither she nor Satoru know her mantra anymore. However, I had assumed that the only reason it worked on Satoru was because he was tripping balls for no adequately explored reason, and since Saki had come out of it already, it wouldn't work on her now. Unless it's a spoiler I'd appreciate some clarification.

The rest of the episode sees us back to the oppressive and eerie atmosphere that made the show so good to begin with, so thank heavens for that. Satoru was right that it would have been folly to turn their backs to the enemy, but everything they're doing still stinks to high heaven of being a Bad Idea(TM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
I don't think Satoru's morally wrong in doing what he's doing, it's essentially fighting for survival and morality be damned when it comes to that, but he's being rash and trusting one side too much. It's very clear that the colony that's "helping" them doesn't give two hoots about them if they don't have their cantus. Saki is smart but she has erred and I am afraid the queerrats led them to a trap of sorts. There is no fucking way they didn't act on the suspicion that only Satoru is a "god" right now.
Yeah, there's nothing trustworthy about these guys. Saki is starting to clue in, maybe Satoru too, but they're in too deep now, especially if they suspect that Saki is powerless. Either way, Satoru is being used to cut a path, or perhaps they're just honest about wanting revenge for having nearly the whole clan wiped out. They're only friendly because Satoru has a power that they both need and fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Oh and the death feedback (or just exhaustion?) is starting to get to him too. It's kinda obvious that they will both survive but that's quite the cliffhanger nonetheless.
I assumed it was death feedback, same as the monk.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 18:37   Link #42
Konja7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I assumed it was death feedback, same as the monk.
That was one of the mistakes of the anime.

The monk suffers death feedback because he sees the Queerats as humans, but this is a hallucination caused by poison gas (This is clear in the novel). They do not suffer any damage for hurting Queerats.

Satoru just too tired because he has used a lot of power.
Konja7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 19:05   Link #43
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
The monk suffers death feedback because he sees the Queerats as humans, but this is a hallucination caused by poison gas (This is clear in the novel). They do not suffer any damage for hurting Queerats.
I just skimmed through episode 4 again,what poison gas?didn't notice any
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 19:18   Link #44
Konja7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I just skimmed through episode 4 again,what poison gas?didn't notice any
During the fight between the monk and Queerats, there is a strange gas. That is the poisonous gas that causes hallucinations (the gas caused the monk saw the Queerats as humans). This was not properly explained in the anime.

The hallucinations that occurred at the beginning of this chapter were also caused by the gas.
Konja7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 19:32   Link #45
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
During the fight between the monk and Queerats, there is a strange gas.
Where?Can you give me the time where the gaz is seen or mentioned in episode 4?I looked again and don't see it.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 19:51   Link #46
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
If Satoru reawakened to his powers through the same suggestion that was used in school, why can't Satoru do the same for Saki?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 20:19   Link #47
Konja7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Where?Can you give me the time where the gaz is seen or mentioned in episode 4?I looked again and don't see it.
The poison gas is not displayed correctly in Chapter 4 (that's a mistake of anime). It seems that in the novel is clear that the gas caused hallucinations in the monk.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
If Satoru reawakened to his powers through the same suggestion that was used in school, why can't Satoru do the same for Saki?
He does not know Saki's mantra. She has forgotten her own mantra (because of the seal), then she can not tell him.
Konja7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 20:48   Link #48
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I don't think we have to go beyond our current human nature. He seems to me to be acting quite normally, for one particular normal human teenage male who has been provided with great power. I think that is a sharper razor. I'm not saying he's a bad person, just a person with spirit and desire who has been under strain and has to defend himself and his companion(s). He has always been a somewhat emotional and fairly headstrong person. It may be getting the better of him right now, but in this case attack may indeed be the best defense.

As for power corrupting, the actual quote from Lord Acton is: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." He wrote it as a Catholic in the 1880s, in reference to the move to institute the doctrine of papal infallibility (up to then, the Pope's opinion had not been considered infallible). I think the "absolutely" part is just rhetoric, suiting the circumstances, but I agree that power does tend to corrupt, by making people feel they can carry out their desires with less consideration for others. I've seen it, and I've felt it. The idea that we have some kind of immutable moral character that doesn't change seems not quite true to me. Humans are dynamic systems, not static objects.
I definitely think PK users have a predisposition for bloodlust once they get a taste of power. I also think being put in a life-threatening position is a kind of trigger that amplifies their power level, and that's why Satoru was able to do so much more than he did before.

If you know the expression "A rat is never more dangerous than when it's cornered" I think you can apply it to PKs. I think their whole society was designed to never make them feel cornered, because of what its founders knew would happen if they were.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 21:05   Link #49
neshru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
I am surprised at the number of people who didn't get what was happening at the start of the episode. It was a bit trippy but it wasn't hard to understand imo. It could have used some better directing (and perhaps foreshadowing too) though.
Besides the confusing way the scene is presented, the biggest problem for me is that the whole power unlocking sequence is made to look trivial. Saki simply does it, it happens to work, both characters instantly move on. The fact that powers can be easily locked/unlocked through hypnosis (or whatever it was) should come as a big shock for the kids, but instead we don't get any reaction from them. Even later on in the episode we don't get a single thought on the matter. The scene ends up looking like a blunt plot device, instead of being the important turning point that I feel it should be.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 21:56   Link #50
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Well I understood what was happening in first few minutes of the episode.

Could it have been explained better?...Yea however I won't fault the show too much for that because unlike last week this episode was watchable.

Also I don't think Satoru was corrupted or anything he just did what had to be done given the situation thought he did go a bit overboard.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 21:59   Link #51
Triple_R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I definitely think PK users have a predisposition for bloodlust once they get a taste of power. I also think being put in a life-threatening position is a kind of trigger that amplifies their power level, and that's why Satoru was able to do so much more than he did before.

If you know the expression "A rat is never more dangerous than when it's cornered" I think you can apply it to PKs. I think their whole society was designed to never make them feel cornered, because of what its founders knew would happen if they were.
Yeah, I agree with this. I think you put it pretty well here.

The society that Saki, Satoru, etc... are being raised in is one that encourages strict obedience and has very dark currents underneath, but it's not "unpleasant" on the very face of it. It's clearly designed to keep PKers content and docile.

The way sex works in this world is very much in keeping with this. Who wants to risk a PKer going out of control due to common teenaged romance issues? So instead you have a society that encourages frequent sexual release in its young, so that such potential romance issues are much less likely to come to the fore (and if they do, they'll likely carry less weight than what might otherwise be the case).
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 01:36   Link #52
Elestia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
And very importantly, did you notice how Satoru bypassed the "death feedback" restraint? Almost all the kills were out of his direct view.
It could be that when Saki gave Satoru his power's back she inadvertently remove the inhibitors as well, or his current fatigue is the result of the "death feedback". That, or may it is simply just exhaustion from constantly using his PK powers.
__________________
Elestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 01:50   Link #53
Unknown Soldier
:D
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
Besides the confusing way the scene is presented, the biggest problem for me is that the whole power unlocking sequence is made to look trivial. Saki simply does it, it happens to work, both characters instantly move on. The fact that powers can be easily locked/unlocked through hypnosis (or whatever it was) should come as a big shock for the kids, but instead we don't get any reaction from them. Even later on in the episode we don't get a single thought on the matter. The scene ends up looking like a blunt plot device, instead of being the important turning point that I feel it should be.
I'm pretty sure in the situation they were in, buried alive and surrounded by vicious enemies, they didn't have any time to reflect on it. Saki probably doesn't even understand yet what she just accomplished, since it's implied in this society only certain people in powerful positions are supposed to have the ability to lock and unlock the PK abilities of ordinary people.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 03:06   Link #54
neshru
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I'm pretty sure in the situation they were in, buried alive and surrounded by vicious enemies, they didn't have any time to reflect on it.
In a real world situation, probably. From a story telling point of view, I found it extremely weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Saki probably doesn't even understand yet what she just accomplished, since it's implied in this society only certain people in powerful positions are supposed to have the ability to lock and unlock the PK abilities of ordinary people.
That's what I'm talking about. I would have expected both kids to be extremely surprised by what they had just managed to do. The complete lack of a reaction from both of them didn't make sense to me.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 04:01   Link #55
Theo
Morningstar is Burning...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Huh, I actually wanted to believe it was a genuine plea for unity rather than an alliance of convenience. Satoru's already low on mana and is out of potions, so maybe they can reach a deal and sacrifice Squealer or something.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 04:05   Link #56
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
You know, thinking of all the kinetic abilities PK entails...They could very well have escaped back to base if they wanted....just run back with their speed being boosted. Better than be overhwhelmed through numbers and possible treachery....Oh well, Satoru was never the bright one anyway.


When Saki released the binding on his powers though, that image...I think she'd end up their new leader in event when the smoke clears after the shit hits the fan.
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 05:36   Link #57
pinoscotto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
In a real world situation, probably. From a story telling point of view, I found it extremely weak.


That's what I'm talking about. I would have expected both kids to be extremely surprised by what they had just managed to do. The complete lack of a reaction from both of them didn't make sense to me.
but saki ws pretty sure about what she was doing. the difficoult thing is to seal away the powers (and make them forget their own mantra), but to get them back you just need to know again your mantra (and, apparently, you have to be hypnotized or drugged or whatever you want)
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 05:46   Link #58
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
The sealing seems more a form of suggestion or brain washing to not use powers rather than something actually removing their ability to generate said powers...

But even so, the society is so hierarchy based and rigid, to the point that Saki has to take on that superiority persona to mimic the unlocking. So yes....it is quite an achievement for her to do it. The way it's portrayed also, carries a far deeper meaning than just a mere technical procedure than the release of a gun's safety.
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 06:53   Link #59
Konja7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
You know, thinking of all the kinetic abilities PK entails...They could very well have escaped back to base if they wanted....just run back with their speed being boosted. Better than be overhwhelmed through numbers and possible treachery....Oh well, Satoru was never the bright one anyway.


When Saki released the binding on his powers though, that image...I think she'd end up their new leader in event when the smoke clears after the shit hits the fan.
I think Satoru is very smart (I want to hear his theory about the transformation of Queerat), but I think he was overconfident.

Also, I guess he considers the foreign Queerats a real threat (dared to capture, wound and gas him).

Last edited by Konja7; 2012-11-04 at 07:04.
Konja7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 13:35   Link #60
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
Pretty underwhelming episode after the last two. Basically it was a bunch of confusing stuff followed by a whole lot of boring and repetitive stuff. Episode could have definitely used better direction.
Spoiler:
Direction was better then last episode but less inspired... I also had some problems figuring out what was going on in the beginning but it was quickly (mostly) explained.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.