AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-02, 02:31   Link #421
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
During the magical girl craze of the 90s, I can't really recall any shoujo-themed magical girls fighting with their fists or anything like that.

It was always wand-waving or something similar.

Then came 2000, and I got to see Kaitou Jeanne throw a policeman over her shoulder into a pond.

Kick ass.

But wait, didn't the Magic Knights fight with swords? Eventually? Or was it only magic fire, wind, and water?
__________________
Chiibi is offline  
Old 2012-11-02, 07:09   Link #422
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
But wait, didn't the Magic Knights fight with swords? Eventually? Or was it only magic fire, wind, and water?
The Magic Knights all used swords in addition to their individual magics.
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline  
Old 2012-11-02, 11:06   Link #423
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
He IS boring! D: Very. He's just sorta....."meh". (The rose-flinging-masked-man-thing is just so cheesy) And I normally go gaga over anime boys with black hair!
I thought so too. When the 2nd season came around, I thought the Moonlight Knight(eng name) was, like the coolest **** ever! I was hoping that he'd make a comeback, esp since I expected him to get a power-up like all of the other sailor scouts, but I don't think he ever did. He pretty much became useless once the season with the new 3 scouts(Ura/Nep/Plu) came in, at least from what I remember =0\.
__________________
Even young love hurts MAL account

frubam is offline  
Old 2012-11-02, 11:08   Link #424
maximilianjenus
[E]
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
and mechas, do not forget the mechas.
maximilianjenus is offline  
Old 2012-11-02, 22:37   Link #425
AmericanFairy
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: In my happy place
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
And I have to admit that even as a kid, I never saw the appeal of Mamoru...
Always thought he was boring and couldn't understand what Usagi could possibly see in him. I think my precise objections were that he was "embarrassing, weak and boring"- I was clearly a child with very high standards in men and a bit liberal with the harshness- what can I say?!
Now, if I watched it today, I'd probably think he was alright but unremarkable - especially when male!Seiya is so much more fun to watch. But there's nothing essentially wrong with the character, he's just not particularly interesting: which is okay, the story is about the girls, he doesn't need to stand out.

But honestly, if there was one thing this show could fix compared to the original, it should be decent focus and distribution of powers for the entire cast. In the end, not only was the story Usagi's, but so was every battle. I couldn't take the rest of the cast seriously at some point, realising they were only there to weaken whoever they were facing enough for Usagi to deliver a convenient killing blow. Some "guardians" they were
This.

I loved Sailor Moon as a 12 year old (even with the somewhat craptastic English dub) and still like it for nostalgic reasons, but now I can see many places in both animation and character development that need to be improved. Seriously, about half the show is taken up by the Sailor Scouts transformation and attack sequences. And, with the exception of the climatic battle, their fights tend to put me to sleep.

Also, is Usagi this annoying in the manga? I've never read it. What I do know is that for about half of the first season I found myself unable to relate to her and wishing that she would stop whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I thought so too. When the 2nd season came around, I thought the Moonlight Knight(eng name) was, like the coolest **** ever! I was hoping that he'd make a comeback, esp since I expected him to get a power-up like all of the other sailor scouts, but I don't think he ever did. He pretty much became useless once the season with the new 3 scouts(Ura/Nep/Plu) came in, at least from what I remember =0\.
Moonlight Knight was also my favorite. It's been a while since I watched it, but I seem to recall him being a more active participate in battle when he was in that mode as opposed to when he was Tuxedo Mask.

Mamoru went from being an active participate in story to basically being Usagi's boy toy. It's sad really. I would have liked to have seen more development between them. Maybe this new anime will fix some of that? Well, one can only hope.
AmericanFairy is offline  
Old 2012-11-02, 22:51   Link #426
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Watching too much SMA has me thinking "*Rose!*" every time he enters a scene using one.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2012-11-02, 23:03   Link #427
AmericanFairy
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: In my happy place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Watching too much SMA has me thinking "*Rose!*" every time he enters a scene using one.
Okay, I nearly chocked on my tea when I read that. And now, every time I see a reference to Tuxedo Mask, I'll picture that.

Also, his motivational speeches are far superior to Luna's.
AmericanFairy is offline  
Old 2012-11-05, 10:59   Link #428
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFairy View Post
Also, is Usagi this annoying in the manga? I've never read it. What I do know is that for about half of the first season I found myself unable to relate to her and wishing that she would stop whining.
I never found Usagi-chan annoying at all. ;( Who couldn't relate to her? She just wanted to be normal and have fun....and these stupid monsters keep trying to screw up her life! I know the other senshi didn't whine....but I found them to be less realistic. The other four are the same age yet none of them showed reluctance or fear to fight? They all just accept it and don't complain!
That's just weird!

But Usagi IS much more mature in the manga. The anime really flanderized her character for "teh funny". It pissed me off....


Moonlight Knight is DEFINITELY cooler than Tuxedo Dork.
__________________
Chiibi is offline  
Old 2012-11-05, 12:56   Link #429
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
The anime really flanderized her character for "teh funny". It pissed me off....
Yeah but thanks to that, we had great comedy moments with Minako.
Those two were priceless !
Sageblink is offline  
Old 2012-11-05, 13:33   Link #430
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageblink View Post
Yeah but thanks to that, we had great comedy moments with Minako.
Those two were priceless !
Some fans started to referring to them as "The Twins". I remember one scene in S where Usagi gets mad at Minako playing in the arcade. She sneaks up behind her and SCREAMS as loud as she can.
It was so hysterical I kept rewinding it over and over again! XD
__________________
Chiibi is offline  
Old 2012-11-05, 14:05   Link #431
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
The Magic Knights all used swords in addition to their individual magics.
Indeed, and I'm pretty sure they all used swords from the beginning. Hikaru first used magic in the first episode against Alycione, wheras Umi and Fuu acquired magic a few episodes later. But I last watched MKR in 2004 (got the first season for my 17th birthday) so it's been a long time.
Dr. Casey is online now  
Old 2012-11-05, 15:16   Link #432
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: with Maki-sama
Age: 22
I hope there will be Haruka and Michiru and I wonder if there will be a new sailor?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic211239_32.gif
Chiaki_chan is offline  
Old 2012-11-05, 16:45   Link #433
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
I hope there will be Haruka and Michiru and I wonder if there will be a new sailor?
Technically, Pluto isn't a planet anymore. So let's drop the "Pluto planet power". Go straight to "Pluto star power" and we're good.

I really hope that all the sailor scouts are back. But with a make over, please. Ami and Hotaru, get an haircut !
Sageblink is offline  
Old 2012-11-05, 17:28   Link #434
AmericanFairy
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: In my happy place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Moonlight Knight is DEFINITELY cooler than Tuxedo Dork.
Probably because he fought with a sword instead of a cane and he didn't look like a Phantom of the Opera reject?

...

Man, I'm so gonna get slammed for that. For the record: I am a fan. And I loved Mamoru during the beginning of the series. But... I think that Sailor Moon ran one or two seasons too long. Maybe it was to follow the manga series, but I really don't know.

Now I have really go to get ahold of those manga. Or at least the summary.
AmericanFairy is offline  
Old 2012-11-05, 17:43   Link #435
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
If I recall, the first part of the R series (the part with Moonlight Knight) was all anime filler while the manga was being written for the later part of the R series (with Chibiusa).
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2012-11-05, 17:50   Link #436
AmericanFairy
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: In my happy place
I seen to recall hearing that as well. Back when I was watching Sailor Moon the internet was still in it's infancy, so accurate information was hard to come by. And then I kind of dropped out of the anime scene until about last year. Now, I'm slowly playing catch-up.

I don't remember S and SuperS too well, so I'll rewatch them when I get a chance. I do remember seeing Sailor Stars, though. I guess the first season and R stand out in my mind the most because Toonami kept airing them.
AmericanFairy is offline  
Old 2012-11-05, 21:39   Link #437
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I never found Usagi-chan annoying at all. ;( Who couldn't relate to her? She just wanted to be normal and have fun....and these stupid monsters keep trying to screw up her life! I know the other senshi didn't whine....but I found them to be less realistic. The other four are the same age yet none of them showed reluctance or fear to fight? They all just accept it and don't complain!
That's just weird!

But Usagi IS much more mature in the manga. The anime really flanderized her character for "teh funny". It pissed me off....
I think that Usagi's progression from the first season to Stars worked out pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFairy View Post
Man, I'm so gonna get slammed for that. For the record: I am a fan. And I loved Mamoru during the beginning of the series. But... I think that Sailor Moon ran one or two seasons too long. Maybe it was to follow the manga series, but I really don't know.

Now I have really go to get ahold of those manga. Or at least the summary.
I don't know about that. I'd say that Stars was the second-best season. It certainly has a kick-ass ending.

The problem was mostly that the creators didn't really know what to do with all the characters. When they did, the show clicked pretty well. Ikuhara's interview gives us a good explanation of the problem with Mamoru.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline  
Old 2012-11-05, 22:29   Link #438
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFairy View Post
Probably because he fought with a sword instead of a cane and he didn't look like a Phantom of the Opera reject?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

That was good. I enjoyed that.

Quote:
I don't know about that. I'd say that Stars was the second-best season. It certainly has a kick-ass ending.
Stars is my favorite season, hands-down. Best music, best villians, best comedy fillers, best finale battle.
AND CHIBI-CHIBIIIIIIIIIIIIIII >__________<





I want her! I've said I don't want to have children but I'd SO take her as my own !! She's soooo ADORABLE!

(My username DID originate from hers, actually. At first I was 「ちび」 in my Japanese class. Then I found out it meant "runt". =_= So I changed it to "Chiibi", spelled with kanji like this: 小美.)
__________________

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-11-05 at 22:47.
Chiibi is offline  
Old 2012-11-05, 23:01   Link #439
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Yeah, there's no way I'd want to do without SuperS or Stars; the series never wore out its welcome for me, and that's despite basically overdosing on Sailor Moon by watching the entire series in about two months.
Dr. Casey is online now  
Old 2012-11-05, 23:10   Link #440
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ImaginaryLand
Age: 24
I loved Stars. Usagi really did grow and develop into a more well rounded character by this season... and I really enjoyed her relationship with Seiya.

Quite honestly, I always found Mamoru boring as well... but I didn't start caring until Seiya appeared. Then I thought that it would've been nice if Usagi had someone like Seiya around since the beginning to play off of. It was pretty entertaining for me. Especially since their friendship wasn't exactly supported by certain allies.

On the other hand, Usagi's friends really got the short end of the stick in Stars and I hated that. I honestly wondered why they were even there, there were so many episodes where they were completely useless... and their roles in the final battle were awful. God, I really hope they change that if they decide to adapt Stars again...
__________________

momobunny is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.