AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Old 2012-11-08, 20:55   Link #21
andromeda0201

If you don't mind dated animation, I'd recommend the Crest/Banner of the Stars trilogy. It's basically about a human and an Abh princess and there are lots of wars and politics in which romance might seem non-existent. But those 2 are the perfect example of complex + slow-burning romance as their relationship progresses extremely slowly.
The build-up till the end of the 3rd installment though, is so impactful it makes everything worth it.
andromeda0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 10:57   Link #22
jesh462

I add my +1s for Cross Game, Kimi ni Todoke, and Nadome Cantabile. All amazing in their own ways. Watch Cross Game even if you hate baseball!
Crest of the Stars was also freaking amazing, but if you're the type who at least likes a kiss at the end, you may be let down. Otherwise, it's completely epic.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned ef - A Tale of Memories, and the sequel(ish) A Tale of Melodies. They're both top tier romance if you ask me.

Also one of my personal favorites seems to fit in with what you ask pretty well, Full Moon wo Sagashite. This show is about a 12 year old girl who has cancer. She is visited by two shinigami, who are to watch her for a year before taking her soul. Their job is to make sure she has no regrets before she dies. For some reason, she is able to see them, and they become her first real friends. She gains the ability to transform into a 16 year old and fulfill most of her dreams.. but the second half of the story really ramps up pace, intensity and story. I know a lot of people are put off by the "filler", but you seem ok with a slower pace. It has a very surprising ending that you won't forget. I can't recommend it enough.

Another show I'd suggest is Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. It doesn't really qualify for slow burning, per say, but it's unique in the way that it presents romance. It's very mature and realistic about the relationships that go on, and it focuses a lot less on the initial honeymoon stage that most anime seem to be about.
jesh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 20:56   Link #23
jte742

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will give all of these a shot.

I've seen Nodame Cantabile, Cross Game, and Steins;Gate, and all three were pretty much what I was looking for. I also watched True Tears, which I thought was good, but not quite as good as the others (I think the ending let it down a bit for me).

Of what I'm watching now, I like Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Suki-tte Ii na yo a lot. Though they aren't really slow (the main couples are already pretty much established in the first or second episode), I still am enjoying them very much. The former reminds me a lot of Nodame Cantabile in its combination of humor and drama, and the latter is just a straightforward, very well done romance. So if I can find more like these, I will be very happy.

I am also watching Robotics;Notes, which I like, but it isn't (yet?) really what I'm looking for here. I am guessing that the two main characters become romantically involved, though I can't for the life of me see how at this point.

Thank you again for the help!
jte742 is offline   Reply With Quote