AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-08, 04:09   Link #1501
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Spoiler for Vol.3, Ch.5:

A critical error appeared, please reboot

And thanks for the new chapter!
__________________
Awrya is offline  
Old 2012-11-08, 04:28   Link #1502
FRS
Lurker on the threshold
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: France
Age: 37
Another nice chapter, the senpais got the opportunity to shine.
FRS is offline  
Old 2012-11-08, 11:57   Link #1503
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
Wow, what a great chapter.. Giving Mayumi the time to shine!

Yes – definitely
willx is offline  
Old 2012-11-08, 16:41   Link #1504
Ghanw
(-_-)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere
Awesome chapter, thank you!
Ghanw is offline  
Old 2012-11-08, 18:54   Link #1505
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
can anyone share pdf files for this novel please?
__________________
zgmf-x19a is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 03:05   Link #1506
chancs
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: where magic is reality
Send a message via Skype™ to chancs
Quote:
"Tatsuya, today we're not treating you as "Strategic-Class Magician Special Lieutenant Ooguro Ryuuya", but as our good friend "Shiba Tatsuya", so being too formal would only be inconvenient."
He has his name changed in the military records?
chancs is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 03:15   Link #1507
chancs
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: where magic is reality
Send a message via Skype™ to chancs
Quote:
"Major, this one understands. If forced into a situation where "Mist Dispersal" must be deployed, this one will choose to forfeit and accept his defeat."
When did he change to referring himself as "this one" ?

Quote:
"Tatsuya-kun, over here, over here!"
Erika using "kun"for Tatsuya??
chancs is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 03:19   Link #1508
FRS
Lurker on the threshold
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: France
Age: 37
That may be a way to keep his identitie secret.
FRS is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 04:32   Link #1509
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere in the 11th dimension
Isn't refering to yourself as this one a maner of formal speach when speaking to superiors?
SoloPanda is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 04:40   Link #1510
Meltyred
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancs View Post
When did he change to referring himself as "this one" ?



Erika using "kun"for Tatsuya??
I read the Chinese version, so it may not be too accurate but he does indeed refer to himself as "this one" 在下 when talking to Kazama.

And if you guys thought vol 3 is long, vol 4 is has even more pages... (though not in CH hard copy yet QQ)
Meltyred is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 04:53   Link #1511
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
自分(this one if translated literally) is a personal pronoun that is used a lot in military in Japan. Tatsuya uses 自分 only when talking toward his military "friend" to not blow his cover in school(only military otaku or weirdo use 自分 to address him/herself in everyday life)
kuroishinigami is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 08:38   Link #1512
EnigmaticAxiom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancs View Post
When did he change to referring himself as "this one" ?
Erika using "kun"for Tatsuya??
You've gotten plenty of responses from the others, but, as I'm fairly certain you'll know already, there are a number of ways the Japanese (and Chinese) use to refer to themselves. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are watashi (私), waga (我), ore (俺), and jibun (自分). Watashi is the most common form that I'm aware of, and ore is something you see in LN/anime for the more self-assertive characters; I'm not entirely sure how common it actually is used. I don't even know much about the use of waga, but I recall hearing it at some point in time. Jibun is typically reserved for a more respectful situation.

Unlike English, the very nature of the language and culture in most asian societies is geared toward respect and formality. Simply put, there is no simple way to convert this to English, so I believe Dreyakis used the most literal manner, which is why it sounds awkward. Personally, I would simply choose to use "I" and "me" in a normal manner, though it's a bit odd for me to concede the formalities of each character's suffix without conceding to this particular language difference.

Also, yes, Erika has always called him "Tatsuya-kun." This may or may not have been included in some of the earlier chapters, I guess? It's Leo and Mikihiko who don't use honorifics with him.
EnigmaticAxiom is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 11:04   Link #1513
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 1.048596
Age: 26
Don't forget "washi"

And yeah, there are polite forms which depend of the situation. I can recall more ways in Korean (don't know about Chinese).

As kuroishinigami said, Tatsuya uses that word only in specific occasions.

And as EnigmaticAxiom said, Erika always refers to Tatsuya as "Tatsuya-kun". IIRC Shizuku calls him "Tatsuya-san" and Honoka too in some part. As always, Miyuki calls him "Onii-sama" (only in web-4 she called him "that person", 3 years ago).

----

Seems like this series is getting pretty popular around the world. I have read some French, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai (with Google TL-or), and so, talking about this.

Reviews are often positive, but I have read some posts in some forums giving it bad ratings.

As I agree this series has a lot of explanations (damned "however"s) and Tatsuya is so much of a bad-ass, I'd say I enjoy some descriptions and the way Tatsuya is OP but has another defects.

The thing is, the plot makes this pretty interesting and gets better as it keeps going on. I was reading Hagure Yuusha, but it got boring because I can't see where is that going to end, nor how much OP Akatsuki can be.

The only thing I want in MKnR (for now) is to see more development in the Numbered Clans and more action between the Stars and the Yotsuba clan.
Syokool is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 12:14   Link #1514
Gun_Seraph
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
In the second Volume there is a specific mention about the "this one"
Ono Haruka-sensei, the counselor, asks Tatsuya why he sometimes refers to himself that way,
mentioning that after the battle 3 years ago (we all know what Tatsuya did then, right?) many youths started referring to themselves as "this one", and how that was usually for people who (like to) enter the military. so I guess it was a nudge from the author that Tatsuya was part of a military force (implying to us readers that Tatsuya is more dangerous/capable in a fight than we already suspected)

Since I have seen Dreyakis name come up in this Forum, I just wanted to give a shoutout to him and thank him for all the hard work he has done.
I've tried my hand on translating the beginning of Volume 3 Chapter 5, and it took me hours to get the first two pages in readable format/translation, haven't had much luck with trying to use google, although it did help increase the speed somewhat, but nowhere near the level of b-t.
Felt it necessary to type: So again, Thank You!
Gun_Seraph is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 12:20   Link #1515
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 1.048596
Age: 26
I think Dreyakis must be in drugs or something :P

Google seems good at times, to my surprise, but this series is a lot hard to translate even when you have some experience on it. I keep re-reading each file to put the phrases in a better way, or to make them more readable (and I'm never satisfied with my work lol). Good thing he has the will to keep going on (I will take a break to read DenYuuDen vol.3).
Syokool is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 12:28   Link #1516
Dreyakis
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun_Seraph View Post
In the second Volume there is a specific mention about the "this one"
Ono Haruka-sensei, the counselor, asks Tatsuya why he sometimes refers to himself that way,
mentioning that after the battle 3 years ago (we all know what Tatsuya did then, right?) many youths started referring to themselves as "this one", and how that was usually for people who (like to) enter the military. so I guess it was a nudge from the author that Tatsuya was part of a military force (implying to us readers that Tatsuya is more dangerous/capable in a fight than we already suspected)
This perfectly sums up my perspective regarding the use of "this one" in Tatsuya's language to his military superiors. Neither English nor Chinese have any direct counterpart for the Japanese 自分, but in the Chinese translation, Tatsuya went out of his way to refer to himself as "this one" (or the Chinese equivalent at any rate), so I kept it to reflect his more formal tone. I do concede that "this one" is a mouthful and looks a little odd, but until I (or someone) can suggest a pithier substitute, I think I will continue to use this.

And who is this who insinuates that I am using "performance-enhancing" medication? Why isn't everyone high on MKnR? *shot*
Dreyakis is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 14:02   Link #1517
Gun_Seraph
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyakis View Post
Why isn't everyone high on MKnR? *shot*
While I certainly enjoy a does of MKnR, instead of boosting my performance (for translations), it seems to induce a certain feeling of withdrawal almost immediately after reading a chapter, wishing for faster translation (and no Dreyakis, you ARE working fast enough but we "Leechers" just usually wish for faster releases regardless) but as much as it pains me I shall refrain from screaming "WHY IS B_T SO SLOW ON MY MKnR?" and simply reread it again... probably... and maybe try my hand on translating for myself again (trying to combine Web Novel and LN so I can google and use another program that allows me to look up most vocab, alas no grammar, so I still need to use my head to make sense of the Japanese language structure)
I presume to know how Tatsuya feels when using magic he's not specialized, it's how I feel when trying to translate Japanese....

I haven't been to the forums in awhile, usually hang out at jcafe, are people here discussing the Double-7 Arc yet?
Gun_Seraph is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 15:07   Link #1518
EnigmaticAxiom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun_Seraph View Post
While I certainly enjoy a does of MKnR, instead of boosting my performance (for translations), it seems to induce a certain feeling of withdrawal almost immediately after reading a chapter, wishing for faster translation (and no Dreyakis, you ARE working fast enough but we "Leechers" just usually wish for faster releases regardless) but as much as it pains me I shall refrain from screaming "WHY IS B_T SO SLOW ON MY MKnR?" and simply reread it again... probably... and maybe try my hand on translating for myself again (trying to combine Web Novel and LN so I can google and use another program that allows me to look up most vocab, alas no grammar, so I still need to use my head to make sense of the Japanese language structure)
I presume to know how Tatsuya feels when using magic he's not specialized, it's how I feel when trying to translate Japanese....

I haven't been to the forums in awhile, usually hang out at jcafe, are people here discussing the Double-7 Arc yet?
Not much Double 7 yet, probably because only the beginning has been released. I haven't finished my summary of it, either. I have section 4 to go, which is supposedly the most action-packed of it, but my motivation is a bit low at the moment, and I was reading other LNs as well. I'll get around to finishing Double 7 Chapters 0-4 and then I'll post it here, hopefully within a week or two x.x;
EnigmaticAxiom is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 19:22   Link #1519
blackwhite67
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticAxiom View Post
Not much Double 7 yet, probably because only the beginning has been released. I haven't finished my summary of it, either. I have section 4 to go, which is supposedly the most action-packed of it, but my motivation is a bit low at the moment, and I was reading other LNs as well. I'll get around to finishing Double 7 Chapters 0-4 and then I'll post it here, hopefully within a week or two x.x;
If you want motivation then remember this: This next section features the cross-dressing Kurobane siblings with a thing for Tatsuya. It may also involve some of their special moves like pseudo-teleportation and mental interference magic.
blackwhite67 is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 22:11   Link #1520
EnigmaticAxiom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I have a general idea what's in it, but I'm less interested in side characters right now. I might find more interest in them later when they're better developed, but if it's not a main character, it's hard to keep my focus.
EnigmaticAxiom is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, magic, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.