AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-08, 23:54   Link #2981
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
the first mass-produced commercial hybrid is the Prius, and that went on sale in Japan in 1997, worldwide in 2000.

maybe you're thinking about EVs like the Volt or Leaf?
He definitely is, since he's talking about charged batteries and such, which the Prius doesn't do.
GDB is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 00:03   Link #2982
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Single payer health plans coupled with getting the employer out of the loop would be a boon for small business. They could hire employees without having to worry about health benefits or whether their employees can afford to stay well.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 00:26   Link #2983
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Here is an interesting little tid bit.

Election results 2012: Voter turnout lower than 2008 and 2004, report says

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/nation...#ixzz2BhTVCfS2
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 00:32   Link #2984
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
^That's not surprising. Both candidates were mostly seen as uninteresting, and the results were more or less known since mid October.
james0246 is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 00:58   Link #2985
FDW
AH.com Ambassador
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^That's not surprising. Both candidates were mostly seen as uninteresting, and the results were more or less known since mid October.
Actually, that's not quite true. This article below offers a counterpoint to that:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpoli...missing-voters
__________________
Blame Thande!
FDW is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 01:05   Link #2986
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Actually, that's not quite true. This article below offers a counterpoint to that:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpoli...missing-voters
Makes a lot of sense. I think the key figure here is the popular vote won by Obama compared to 2008. He is about 2-3% down in that count.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 01:12   Link #2987
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Actually, that's not quite true. This article below offers a counterpoint to that:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpoli...missing-voters
All the colours and brightness...my eyes!!!

Nice find. I had assumed Sandy counted for half a million or so potential voters, but the statistics were quite interesting (even if the formatting hurt ).
james0246 is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 01:29   Link #2988
Green²
It's Magic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Up and to the Left
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I'm not sure hybrid has much of a future, except perhaps as a bridge to something else.
It will eventually bridge to a full-time electric vehicle that would probably use a combination of batteries and inductive coupling. It's just that it will take quite some time to add to and update the current infrastructure, as well as there being all kinds of politics involved come time when new transmission lines have to start running through whoever's backyard.

Germany is already way ahead when it comes to implementing these technologies, such as what Bombardier Transportation had already displayed on a branch of the Augsburg tram network. In short, the same technologies that power your electric toothbrush, will now power your transportation needs.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/u...a-success.html
Green² is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 01:32   Link #2989
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
All the colours and brightness...my eyes!!!

Nice find. I had assumed Sandy counted for half a million or so potential voters, but the statistics were quite interesting (even if the formatting hurt ).
Cue the media screaming, "Ahhhh!! Stop it! You're disturbing our "narrative"!!"

(I'd like to do horrible things to the nimrods who decided news reporting should be a "narrative")
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 02:11   Link #2990
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
It will eventually bridge to a full-time electric vehicle that would probably use a combination of batteries and inductive coupling. It's just that it will take quite some time to add to and update the current infrastructure, as well as there being all kinds of politics involved come time when new transmission lines have to start running through whoever's backyard.
The problem is that you still need to apply force to generate the induction. Electricity still needs a power source to be generated, unless you're going to pull a Doc Brown and wait for lightning to strike the clock tower (which in reality would melt every piece of electronics in the car).

Currently the majority of our electricity is generated by power stations that run on fossil fuels. You can cut emissions from vehicles by switching to electricity, but you haven't removed the reliance on the finite and polluting resource of fossil fuel, only made it more efficient.
__________________
Solace is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 02:19   Link #2991
FDW
AH.com Ambassador
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The problem is that you still need to apply force to generate the induction. Electricity still needs a power source to be generated, unless you're going to pull a Doc Brown and wait for lightning to strike the clock tower (which in reality would melt every piece of electronics in the car).

Currently the majority of our electricity is generated by power stations that run on fossil fuels. You can cut emissions from vehicles by switching to electricity, but you haven't removed the reliance on the finite and polluting resource of fossil fuel, only made it more efficient.
Bingo, and that doesn't even get into the other externalities regarding car usage. (Space being the biggest one)
__________________
Blame Thande!
FDW is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 02:39   Link #2992
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The problem is that you still need to apply force to generate the induction. Electricity still needs a power source to be generated, unless you're going to pull a Doc Brown and wait for lightning to strike the clock tower (which in reality would melt every piece of electronics in the car).

Currently the majority of our electricity is generated by power stations that run on fossil fuels. You can cut emissions from vehicles by switching to electricity, but you haven't removed the reliance on the finite and polluting resource of fossil fuel, only made it more efficient.
It is inevitable that in our lifetime, we would need to mass produce Fission power plants as a stop-gap technology to renewables.

The fact is we are going to struggle to generate electricity sustainably for even current use, so if we are going to use electricity to replace petroleum as well, nuclear power would have to supplement the grid.

I would be glad to be found wrong. But this is what I consider to be necessary in the medium term.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now  
Old 2012-11-09, 03:07   Link #2993
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
According to this blog site (that I've never heard of), hundreds of thousands of military absentee ballots made it in a day late, and if they were counted, it would have made Romney win. Is this true? Or was it concocted by some republican supporters?

http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/11/mi...on-for-romney/

Edit: Snopes debunks it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/absentee.asp
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 03:19   Link #2994
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
hmm, not really funny tbh

though there are some better stuff in other parts of the site.
kyp275 is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 03:21   Link #2995
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Check out my edit. It is from a military humor site with humor in the manners of parody, satire, and faux news. Ha. I bet a bunch of people are freaking out over this fictitious news.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-11-09 at 04:03.
Urzu 7 is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 03:25   Link #2996
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Check out my edit. It is from a military humor site with humor in the manners of parody, satire, and faux news. Ha. I bet a bunch of people are freaking out over this fictitious news.
yea, reading the comments section in that article, they're all right there
kyp275 is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 04:09   Link #2997
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
yea, reading the comments section in that article, they're all right there
Holy shit, I read some of the facebook comments under the article and read some of the comments from the site (under the facebook comments). A whole lotta people freaking out, some hating on democratic voters and liberals. What a bunch of twits. I found out the truth in 2 minutes with a single google search.

I weep for my country.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 04:20   Link #2998
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Especially since the research is leaning that the military rank and file voted mostly Obama. The GOP screwed that pooch with their crappy behavior towards veterans and the Veteran's Administration. More underfunding, then privatize and loot in store if they got their way.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 04:26   Link #2999
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Especially since the research is leaning that the military rank and file voted mostly Obama. The GOP screwed that pooch with their crappy behavior towards veterans and the Veteran's Administration. More underfunding, then privatize and loot in store if they got their way.
Plus, many military members probably don't like the idea of invading Iran and bringing war to their country, especially because it'd have many worn out military members fighting over there, fighting in a war that'd be all too much like the Iraq war.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline  
Old 2012-11-09, 06:17   Link #3000
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Obama victory opens negotiating window with Iran
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8A61P920121107

Tax hike for wealthy won't kill growth: CBO
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8A71D020121109
__________________

ganbaru is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.