AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 19
10 out of 10 : Nearly Perfect... 30 28.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 37 34.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 21 19.81%
7 out of 10 : Good... 8 7.55%
6 out of 10 : Average... 6 5.66%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.94%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 2 1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-10, 21:50   Link #81
Insane
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek of Blood View Post
This episode was lame. WTF with that bull-headed titan? Meh, i guess it's just another stereotypical, boring cliche from those never-ending shounen series where the protag always gains sudden power up out of thin air in a pinch situation without proper explanations just because there are people he have to protect. It's true that he's such in hurry to save Asuna, but simply wanting to save someone doesn't mean he deserve to obtain such ridiculous power up.
OK, listen. I just learned my lesson "Just ignore the inconsistencies and enjoy this show as it is" (And why did you bring up those cliche whatever thing from shounen manga?)
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 21:50   Link #82
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
That made so much sense! why bother to save the love of your life IRL... just go and play the damn game
And how pray-tell is Kirito going to save her in his current position I ask you?

Besides, Asuna's fully capable of taking care of herself as the last episode indicates.

Quote:
This episode was lame. WTF with that bull-headed titan? Meh, i guess it's just another stereotypical, boring cliche from those never-ending shounen series where the protag always gains sudden power up out of thin air in a pinch situation without proper explanations just because there are people he have to protect. It's true that he's such in hurry to save Asuna, but simply wanting to save someone doesn't mean he deserve to obtain such ridiculous power up.
Objectively you could say the same thing about every cliche in existence. Which ones are enjoyable or not are all up to the person watching.

And you must have not been paying attention to the show incredibly closely, as Kirito's "spontaneous power up" this episode is at least way more believable than that bullshit back in episode 14.
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 21:57   Link #83
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ware wa Kuu. Ware wa Kou. Ware wa Jin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek of Blood View Post
This episode was lame. WTF with that bull-headed titan? Meh, i guess it's just another stereotypical, boring cliche from those never-ending shounen series where the protag always gains sudden power up out of thin air in a pinch situation without proper explanations just because there are people he have to protect. It's true that he's such in hurry to save Asuna, but simply wanting to save someone doesn't mean he deserve to obtain such ridiculous power up.
It wasn't really a cliche shounen power up in a sense that previous explanations and details actually make it more plausible. The "illusion" magic (or maybe morphing magic is more appropriate) was a race specific (spriggan) skill learned by all spriggan players so it isn't really unique. It transforms a player into a monster form largely determined by his/her in game stats and skills. It isn't really useful cuz the only thing that changes is your form and not your stats so it just effectively makes you a bigger target for spells. But Kirito took full advantage of the monsters reach and his SAO stats allowed him to OHKO the pk group w/ ease. And this skill also has a very long casting time. So if he didn't have party support he'd be dead before he even casts it.

Also it really isn't ridiculous since he probably can't use it to save Asuna anyway. I mean he's up against a GM. They could just as easily ban him from using any skills or set his damage dealing to zero and he'd be totally helpless.
__________________
The true last samurai...
Swordstriker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:06   Link #84
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
And how pray-tell is Kirito going to save her in his current position I ask you?
Talk to her father, the police, the lawyers of "Oberon"'s competitors... all of these would be much more effective than flirting in game with his little sisters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Besides, Asuna's fully capable of taking care of herself as the last episode indicates.
I seriously doubt that Asuna will save herself, not that I wouldn't like her too, but if she does it will instantly make the whole story presented so far pointless
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:15   Link #85
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ware wa Kuu. Ware wa Kou. Ware wa Jin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Talk to her father, the police, the lawyers of "Oberon"'s competitors... all of these would be much more effective than flirting in game with his little sisters
Ok lets look at the situation:

Nobuyuki Sugou: Highly successful businessman, Owner of RCT Progress and Asunas fiancee

Kirigaya Kazuto: plain highschool kid, kinda a computer geek, Asunas VRMMO friend

W/out any decisive evidence I doubt Kirito would be able to convince anybody about Sugous guilt. He has both a financial and social advantage. Not to mention Sugou has already earned the favor of Asunas family. Most likely he'll just be treated as the kid who has a crush on their daughter and is desperately making up lies to stop her from getting married.
__________________
The true last samurai...
Swordstriker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:15   Link #86
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Talk to her father, the police, the lawyers of "Oberon"'s competitors... all of these would be much more effective than flirting in game with his little sisters
He doesn't know that Sugou's keeping her prisoner. He doesn't know anything other than that someone took a screenshot from the top of the tree that looks like her. This whole thing is just him desperately following the only lead he has, but it's certainly not a very good lead. A pixelated picture that kinda looks like Asuna if she were an elf is hardly going to persuade her father to drop everything and demand a full inspection of the ALO server code (not to mention that Sugou would be in charge of such an inspection). And the idea of the police being able to do anything with that is completely laughable.

...are you failing to separate what Kirito knows from what the audience knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
Ok lets look at the situation:

Nobuyuki Sugou: Highly successful businessman, Owner of RCT Progress and Asunas fiancee

Kirigaya Kazuto: plain highschool kid, kinda a computer geek, Asunas VRMMO friend

W/out any decisive evidence I doubt Kirito would be able to convince anybody about Sugous guilt. He has both a financial and social advantage. Not to mention Sugou has already earned the favor of Asunas family. Most likely he'll just be treated as the kid who has a crush on their daughter and is desperately making up lies to stop her from getting married.
It's not even "my word against his" because Kirito doesn't even know that Sugou is his enemy. All he knows is that he's a jerk imposing a stupid time limit for his own selfish reasons. Kirito knows nothing about Sugou's illegal activities.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:19   Link #87
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Talk to her father, the police, the lawyers of "Oberon"'s competitors... all of these would be much more effective than flirting in game with his little sisters
The word of a 16 year old student boy against the claims of a adult man with a high placement and significant power in the company responsible for ALO. I dunno but I have a good feeling the justice system will be in favor of Sugou. He could easily have the influence to pass off Kazuto's claims as nonsense.

Also, one thing to consider is that Kirito isn't even 100% sure yet that what he saw in that picture was in fact Asuna. We as viewers know it is, but he doesn't.

Quote:
I seriously doubt that Asuna will save herself, not that I wouldn't like her too, but if she does it will instantly make the whole story presented so far pointless
Which is why there were much better alternatives to take the direction of this show's story than how the author finally decided.
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:21   Link #88
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ware wa Kuu. Ware wa Kou. Ware wa Jin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
It's not even "my word against his" because Kirito doesn't even know that Sugou is his enemy. All he knows is that he's a jerk imposing a stupid time limit for his own selfish reasons. Kirito knows nothing about Sugou's illegal activities.
There is that huh. So unless he climbs the World Tree and see for himself he wouldn't be able to do anything. Him saving the Sylph-Caith Sith alliance is starting to become a very good idea. But then again even if he does manage to climb the damn tree what then? Could he forcibly log Asuna out w/ the help of Yui. Will he take a screenie of her and present it as evidence? Nah that would be pretty weak. I mean picking fight w/ Sugou in the VR world he has full control of isn't really a plausible solution.
__________________
The true last samurai...
Swordstriker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:26   Link #89
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
his gear is shtty lvl greys you buy from starting vendors
Maybe, but they could be smithed items like his Dark Repulsor was in SAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Except it isn't SAO, and that Kayaba explicitely created the unique skills so they serve as heroes against him as the last boss.
If the unique abilities were still there, ALO Kirito would still have Dual Wielding, which does not exist in ALO, which means RECT did remove them.
As result, there is no reason to think the Spriggan illusion spell is one of these.
To some degree, sure. However, I recall seeing a scene in the OP where he has two swords. I'm sure he's going to pull a Kanda and replicate his sword with illusion magic, and somehow solidify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
and when is Kirito going to learn to stop sexually harassing female players.
When they stop tasting so good. Wait, uhm... no, I'm gonna stick with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroboro View Post
But WoW is too casual to really be a good comparison to SAO/ALO. It's far more along the lines of the game design seen in EQ/UO/FFXI/Eve , and other predecessors of WoW.
I think anyone who knew someone doing the Cleric epic weapon quest in EQ can attest to that.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:30   Link #90
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
There is that huh. So unless he climbs the World Tree and see for himself he wouldn't be able to do anything. Him saving the Sylph-Caith Sith alliance is starting to become a very good idea. But then again even if he does manage to climb the damn tree what then? Could he forcibly log Asuna out w/ the help of Yui. Will he take a screenie of her and present it as evidence? Nah that would be pretty weak. I mean picking fight w/ Sugou in the VR world he has full control of isn't really a plausible solution.
In fairness, this is a conversation that should probably go to the speculation threads, because I'm quite concerned that novel readers will start saying too much while thinking they're being cagey/cryptic. But (as an anime-only viewer) I agree with you and the rest who are pointing out that Kirito only has a vague lead that suggests he needs to get to the World Tree, but nobody has ever been successful in getting to the top yet anyway. So him helping Leafa and getting allies is as good an idea as any, as he may need help. In considering the hint that was dropped earlier about maybe needing cooperation among the races to beat the key quest, we now have four different races involved (including him), so we're well on our way. Of course, if he knew the whole story of what was happening with Asuna right now, he may feel more stress about needing to get there ASAP, but at this point all he has is that one picture that kind of looks like her. And besides, it stands to reason that nothing can happen to her until the week's up anyway, since Sugou needs her alive.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:35   Link #91
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: edge of my dream in the land of twilight...ZzzZzZ
In most MMORPGs, illusion magics in lower levels do just distract and confuse enemies. However, on higher levels of mastery the spell user can create phantasms that appear tangible due to the illusion magics dominating the enemies mind making it appear so real to the target because all his senses are in control by the illusionist. What's that saying in the Matrix again? The body can't live with the mind?

What Kirito did might just reflect his high level stats appearing in his illusion magic.
__________________
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:37   Link #92
Green²
It's Magic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Up and to the Left
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
The only abilities I remember GleamEyes had were sword skills. Given his illusion spell didn't give him a sword as well, I can't see him using sword skills
GleamEyes was able to fire a laser fireball shot from its mouth back in the ninth episode. It also dealt punch blows, and had the ability to grab stuff such as when it grabbed Kirito's sword during the final blow. Kirito practically emulated almost everything that the GleamEyes could do, so had he wanted to, he could've used one of the Salamander as a ball peen hammer.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:38   Link #93
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
To some degree, sure. However, I recall seeing a scene in the OP where he has two swords. I'm sure he's going to pull a Kanda and replicate his sword with illusion magic, and somehow solidify it.
The other sword is white, so it won't be a duplicate from his black sword. I'm expecting them to meet some rare enemy, defeating it, which then drops some rare sword for Kirito to dual wield.

On second thought, his current black sword is a two-handed sword, so maybe he'll get another sword drop in addition to the white one? Though maybe he could wield it with one hand, his stats should be high enough for that at least.
Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
GleamEyes was able to fire a laser fireball shot from its mouth back in the ninth episode. It also dealt punch blows, and had the ability to grab stuff such as when it grabbed Kirito's sword during the final blow. Kirito practically emulated almost everything that the GleamEyes could do, so had he wanted to, he could've used one of the Salamander as a ball peen hammer.
Since he could transform into GleamEyes, the model should exist in ALO, but maybe it doesn't have the same abilities as its SAO counterpart? Or in earlier posts while under illusion spell he's only able to attack physically.
__________________
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:39   Link #94
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ware wa Kuu. Ware wa Kou. Ware wa Jin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
In fairness, this is a conversation that should probably go to the speculation threads, because I'm quite concerned that novel readers will start saying too much while thinking they're being cagey/cryptic. But (as an anime-only viewer) I agree with you and the rest who are pointing out that Kirito only has a vague lead that suggests he needs to get to the World Tree, but nobody has ever been successful in getting to the top yet anyway. So him helping Leafa and getting allies is as good an idea as any, as he may need help. In considering the hint that was dropped earlier about maybe needing cooperation among the races to beat the key quest, we now have four different races involved (including him), so we're well on our way. Of course, if he knew the whole story of what was happening with Asuna right now, he may feel more stress about needing to get there ASAP, but at this point all he has is that one picture that kind of looks like her. And besides, it stands to reason that nothing can happen to her until the week's up anyway, since Sugou needs her alive.
Yeah some people are complaining about his lack of sense of urgency in saving Asuna but we're forgetting that he only has a vague clue and so for the plan is getting to the world tree. Maybe if he knew that Sugou had the capability of mind control and memory editing then he would be more frantic. But he doesn't so he's just doing what he's capable of doing at present.
__________________
The true last samurai...
Swordstriker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:40   Link #95
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
About Kirito's priorities... he is not just a 16YO kid, but the 16YO that saved 2K players from SAO... he already used that to find Asuna IRL through the police. He also needs no evidence to Asuna's father worried, the police interested, and Sugo's competitors digging dirt. As for how he can make the connection between Sugo and Asuna's captivity in Alfheim:

Asuna is still plugged in a game
Sugo told him it's convenient for him
He sees a photo of Asuna in Alfheim
Sugo own the Alfheim company

But instead of doing something IRL about it, he goes to play the game, and as of last episode, not even play it to save Asuna in game
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:43   Link #96
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
I really don't get why people are being so unreasonable when it comes to this show?
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:45   Link #97
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philippines
@Malkuth

Even with that status, it's not easy for Kirito to convince the police to investigate a well-established individual with a good record within a company. You need proof for that.
__________________
orpheus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:48   Link #98
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Asuna is still plugged in a game
Sugo told him it's convenient for him
He sees a photo of Asuna in Alfheim
Sugo own the Alfheim company

But instead of doing something IRL about it, he goes to play the game, and as of last episode, not even play it to save Asuna in game
I think you haven't really thought through how that would work.
  • He doesn't know that she's still in a game, only that she hasn't woken up from her coma.
  • Sugou said that "one could even say he was keeping her alive", but that's not exactly evidence.
  • The photo of her likeness doesn't necessarily mean that it's her. It could really be anyone. There's no reason a player in ALO needs to look like their real self (Leafa, Recon, etc.)
  • If what Sugou is saying is true, given that he does own the company and that he's keeping her alive, isn't that reason to suspect that he could be dangerous, and so going to police based on suspicion and possibly forcing his hand may be a bad idea?
For now, he needs more evidence, hence his following the only lead he has. He doesn't have any clue that Asuna needs saving in ALO, or that there's anything at all that he can do about it. His only move is to find some way to get to the top of that world tree -- a feat that no one in the game has managed to do.

I don't think it's as unreasonable as you make it sound.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:48   Link #99
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Asylum beyond the Mirror
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
About Kirito's priorities... he is not just a 16YO kid, but the 16YO that saved 2K players from SAO... he already used that to find Asuna IRL through the police.
Erm yeah, finding out which hospital someone is at is probably a bit different than uncovering the secrets of a large Corporation funded by several shady organizations.

Had Kirito been able to do that... Now that would have been haxx.
__________________
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 22:49   Link #100
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ware wa Kuu. Ware wa Kou. Ware wa Jin!
Are you suggesting he just prance around the Yuuki residence and the police and proclaim Sugou a bad guy. He wouldn't be taken seriously. This also applies in the real world. Lets say a powerful politician is embellishing funds and a lowly wage worker happened to know about it. Even if he confesses to the media it will only make a big deal for a few days and then be forgotten. Then said wage worker disappears never to be seen again...

Oh and about the finding Asunas hospital thing:

Spoiler for Just in case...:
__________________
The true last samurai...
Swordstriker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.