AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-10, 00:19   Link #1521
Voceane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Somewhere in the universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyakis View Post
This perfectly sums up my perspective regarding the use of "this one" in Tatsuya's language to his military superiors. Neither English nor Chinese have any direct counterpart for the Japanese 自分, but in the Chinese translation, Tatsuya went out of his way to refer to himself as "this one" (or the Chinese equivalent at any rate), so I kept it to reflect his more formal tone. I do concede that "this one" is a mouthful and looks a little odd, but until I (or someone) can suggest a pithier substitute, I think I will continue to use this.

And who is this who insinuates that I am using "performance-enhancing" medication? Why isn't everyone high on MKnR? *shot*
I don't think you can translate it litteraly, but if you want to keep the military language. Why not translate it normaly but put sometime some military language in other part. Why not some "yes sir" or "roger"... who will give the military status of his words.
Voceane is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 00:51   Link #1522
kfcpanda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syokool View Post
Don't forget "washi"

And yeah, there are polite forms which depend of the situation. I can recall more ways in Korean (don't know about Chinese).

As kuroishinigami said, Tatsuya uses that word only in specific occasions.

And as EnigmaticAxiom said, Erika always refers to Tatsuya as "Tatsuya-kun". IIRC Shizuku calls him "Tatsuya-san" and Honoka too in some part. As always, Miyuki calls him "Onii-sama" (only in web-4 she called him "that person", 3 years ago).

----

Seems like this series is getting pretty popular around the world. I have read some French, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai (with Google TL-or), and so, talking about this.

Reviews are often positive, but I have read some posts in some forums giving it bad ratings.

As I agree this series has a lot of explanations (damned "however"s) and Tatsuya is so much of a bad-ass, I'd say I enjoy some descriptions and the way Tatsuya is OP but has another defects.

The thing is, the plot makes this pretty interesting and gets better as it keeps going on. I was reading Hagure Yuusha, but it got boring because I can't see where is that going to end, nor how much OP Akatsuki can be.

The only thing I want in MKnR (for now) is to see more development in the Numbered Clans and more action between the Stars and the Yotsuba clan.

what are the main criticisms that people have of this series?
kfcpanda is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 01:01   Link #1523
Dreyakis
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voceane View Post
I don't think you can translate it litteraly, but if you want to keep the military language. Why not translate it normaly but put sometime some military language in other part. Why not some "yes sir" or "roger"... who will give the military status of his words.
Two reasons: One, Shiba Tatsuya isn't "officially" with the military. He's a member of the armed forces under a pseudonym. Referring to military officers with "Yes, sir" or "Roger" would imply that he's actually part of the outfit, which is a point that everyone involved has taken great pains to conceal. On the same topic, Ono-sensei's comment regarding teenagers using the term "this one" to self reference often correlated with those teenagers eventually joining the military. This way, if someone happened to eavesdrop or overhear Tatsuya referring to himself this way, they may come to the (reasonable) assumption that he's just doing so to butter up the military types. Now let's assume someone overhears him saying "Yes, sir" to Major Kazama. What does that imply? "Sir" implies he's a subordinate, which would break his cover.

Second, "Yes, sir" or "Roger" are responses to other people talking to you. The words in question are how Tatsuya refers to himself, so it doesn't flow in the conversation anyways.
Dreyakis is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 01:14   Link #1524
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere in the 11th dimension
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyakis View Post
Two reasons: One, Shiba Tatsuya isn't "officially" with the military. He's a member of the armed forces under a pseudonym. Referring to military officers with "Yes, sir" or "Roger" would imply that he's actually part of the outfit, which is a point that everyone involved has taken great pains to conceal. On the same topic, Ono-sensei's comment regarding teenagers using the term "this one" to self reference often correlated with those teenagers eventually joining the military. This way, if someone happened to eavesdrop or overhear Tatsuya referring to himself this way, they may come to the (reasonable) assumption that he's just doing so to butter up the military types. Now let's assume someone overhears him saying "Yes, sir" to Major Kazama. What does that imply? "Sir" implies he's a subordinate, which would break his cover.

Second, "Yes, sir" or "Roger" are responses to other people talking to you. The words in question are how Tatsuya refers to himself, so it doesn't flow in the conversation anyways.
Keeping it as "this one" is probably the most reasonable thing you can do; there is not many terms in military language to refer to your self (I know in the U.S. it's "Second Lt. Tatsuya reports" but that would be a dead give away that he's military and it would sound dumb in the context). It's just one of those things that doesn't translate too well outside of its original culture. Kinda like Onii-chan. In the states no one refers to older brothers as older brothers we generaly just use names, but when anime little sisters do it everything i right in the world... because it's wonderful.
SoloPanda is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 01:24   Link #1525
Voceane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Somewhere in the universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyakis View Post
Two reasons: One, Shiba Tatsuya isn't "officially" with the military. He's a member of the armed forces under a pseudonym. Referring to military officers with "Yes, sir" or "Roger" would imply that he's actually part of the outfit, which is a point that everyone involved has taken great pains to conceal. On the same topic, Ono-sensei's comment regarding teenagers using the term "this one" to self reference often correlated with those teenagers eventually joining the military. This way, if someone happened to eavesdrop or overhear Tatsuya referring to himself this way, they may come to the (reasonable) assumption that he's just doing so to butter up the military types. Now let's assume someone overhears him saying "Yes, sir" to Major Kazama. What does that imply? "Sir" implies he's a subordinate, which would break his cover.

Second, "Yes, sir" or "Roger" are responses to other people talking to you. The words in question are how Tatsuya refers to himself, so it doesn't flow in the conversation anyways.
You are right but as you can't translate "this one" because there is no equivalent in english, why don't you translate it normaly but but one "yes sir" in the with Ono sensei. If he don't allways use it, it can be irony.
BTW I'm not criticizing your work. I admire the fact that you succeed to translate it. The only thing I suggest is to change the text to highlight the military side tatsuya's language. It's only an idea, I give you. You are free to use it or not.
IRL I know some people who want to join the military and who answer by "Roger", "Yes sir" so it's maybe not a bad thing.
Voceane is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 02:59   Link #1526
Dreyakis
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voceane View Post
You are right but as you can't translate "this one" because there is no equivalent in english, why don't you translate it normaly but but one "yes sir" in the with Ono sensei. If he don't allways use it, it can be irony.
BTW I'm not criticizing your work. I admire the fact that you succeed to translate it. The only thing I suggest is to change the text to highlight the military side tatsuya's language. It's only an idea, I give you. You are free to use it or not.
IRL I know some people who want to join the military and who answer by "Roger", "Yes sir" so it's maybe not a bad thing.
Yeah, I get your drift, but owing to a lack of further options, I'm trying to keep the translation as faithful as I can without sacrificing further concessions in terms of grammar. I'm not entirely satisfied with it myself, but there's nothing I can do until an alternative presents itself.
Dreyakis is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 04:49   Link #1527
Chirst
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Cover of light novel vol 8 revealed
it will be released in DEC/10 along side with the audio drama dvd.
the drama dvd will cover 60% of the volume
credited by Oilman
Spoiler:


The length of drama DVD is at least 4 hours
Chirst is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 06:17   Link #1528
kfcpanda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
got an eta for that?
kfcpanda is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 06:18   Link #1529
Seitsuki
Onee!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ
Oh god loli Miyuki hnnngh hnnnnnnnnnnghhhhhh

*ECG flatline*
__________________
thanks to Patchy ♥
Seitsuki is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 06:29   Link #1530
Insane
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Age: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirst View Post
Cover of light novel vol 8 revealed
it will be released in DEC/10 along side with the audio drama dvd.
the drama dvd will cover 60% of the volume
credited by Oilman
Spoiler:


The length of drama DVD is at least 4 hours
Any info about the VAs who'll be voicing them?
Insane is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 06:45   Link #1531
Awrya
U mad?
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I heard Miyuki will be voiced by Saori Hayami and Tatsuya by Nakamura Yuichi, though I can't find the source right now.
__________________
Awrya is online now  
Old 2012-11-10, 07:48   Link #1532
EnigmaticAxiom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
You probably heard that on the forums here, but it was also in the little manga thing released (translated by mangaholic or light novel translations or whatever group. I can't remember off the top of my head).
EnigmaticAxiom is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 09:20   Link #1533
Chirst
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Any info about the VAs who'll be voicing them?
Tatsuya voiced by Nakamura Yūichi
His past works are
Macross Frontier ~Sayonara no Tsubasa~ (2011), Alto Saotome
Hyōka, Houtarou Oreki

Miyuki voiced by Hayami Saori
Her past works are
Hayami Saori
Hyōka, Kaho Jūmonji
Nisemonogatari, Yotsugi Ononoki
Sword Art Online, Sachi


Shiba Miya (A mother of Tatsuya and Miyuki) voiced by Inoue Kikuko
Past works are
Oh My Goddess! (Belldandy)
Clannad : The Movie (Sanae Furukawa)
Higurashi When They Cry (Akane Sonozaki)
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead (Delusion Eucliwood, ep. 1)
Macross Frontier (Grace O'Connor)
Toaru Majutsu no Index II (Shiina Kamijō)

PS.
Found funny thing from FB 'this drama DVD should be called Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei prequel : rise of siscon (brocon) magician'.
Credited by Richard Winter
Chirst is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 10:40   Link #1534
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 1.048596
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreyakis View Post
And who is this who insinuates that I am using "performance-enhancing" medication? Why isn't everyone high on MKnR? *shot*
Was I wrong? I can't imagine myself keeping your pace without taking several breaks to rest while I'm charging my "batteries"

Chirst, Tatsuya was made a siscon on purpose, so the title would be "The birth of the honoured brocon"

Talking about vol.8, it seems dorama DVD won't cover the whole story of Shiba sibilings.

The new cover ('cause I never have enough of Miyuki):



Being honest, I started to like her after reading web.4. Before that, Saegusa senpai was my favorite girl.

Last edited by Syokool; 2012-11-10 at 16:36. Reason: Thinking so much aboutMiyuki lol
Syokool is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 11:34   Link #1535
Gun_Seraph
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
While I will always keep a small flame lit in the depths of my heart for TatsuyaxMizuki and even TatsuyaxShizuku (from the perspective of an author that ship would be interesting because Shizuku hardly shows her emotions and Tatsuya frankly has none - strong ones, i know-)

I find it sad that Mayumi will most likely appear less and less, in the second years, it will be interesting to see how and if the author will keep her in the story.
Gun_Seraph is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 16:43   Link #1536
kfcpanda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
mayumi is second only to miyuki imo, gotta love the trolls
kfcpanda is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 16:52   Link #1537
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirst View Post

The length of drama DVD is at least 4 hours
4 hours!? that's long! but drama dvd is same as drama cd right? the one where you just listen to the recording.

I think Mayumi will be left out most of the time since she graduate already. And new characters would be introduce in 2nd year with new curriculum.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline  
Old 2012-11-10, 19:14   Link #1538
EnigmaticAxiom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
4 hours!? that's long! but drama dvd is same as drama cd right? the one where you just listen to the recording.

I think Mayumi will be left out most of the time since she graduate already. And new characters would be introduce in 2nd year with new curriculum.
Yes, it's the same as a Drama CD. It was originally slated to be a Drama CD, but apparently Satou did not read the requirements for a Drama CD and it ended up being too long (I mean, 4 hours. Come on, how could you mess that one up? :P), so they decided to make it into a Drama DVD.
EnigmaticAxiom is offline  
Old 2012-11-11, 18:09   Link #1539
Gun_Seraph
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Ok, this weekend I tried my hand on translating 3-6 and I got about 4 pages in (somewhat) readable English with a few sentences I couldn't really make sense off...
Dreyakis, you da bomb!

How are you guys getting your hands on the drama dvd? Amazon is expensive with shipping from Japan...

Anyone know if Volume 8 is the complete Shiba-Past Arc or will it be split into two Volumes?
Gun_Seraph is offline  
Old 2012-11-13, 13:19   Link #1540
Dreyakis
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Blessed Lord Almighty, I actually get to announce my own updates. *peeks around for stalkers*

Volume 3 Chapter 6 is posted. So go get it now!
Dreyakis is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, magic, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.