AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Higurashi

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-01-12, 21:54   Link #41
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakman
Wow. Just finished reading through Minagoroshi.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
__________________

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-05-04 at 03:10.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 23:34   Link #42
JarOfMayo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Hi,
I'm always browsing around for a new "novel" to read after finally~ finishing last scenario for FSN maybe this week. I been working on FSN all last summer but I never thought the last scenario was very interesting until I played it late at night and you first encounter the "darkness" (purposely mislabeled for spoiler reasons) which freaked the sheets out of me.

But anyway Sushi-Y's sig drew me to this, good to know its a novel with no ero, but how is the "novel" experience compared to FSN? I was impressed from first playing FSN and how it did action sequences sooo well.

Just wondering is Higurashi like it in a sense or... more toward a plantarian or naucissa (sp?) sorta thing?

Also how is the horror in this work, I've always been a coward lol. Like I said things like the FSN "darkness" scared the begeesus out of me. I was wondering am I gonna be jumping in my pants or... lol I don't even watch horror movies ;-;

Also (mmm lots of also lol), I understand through the horror description the element of blood on the theme for the website... but what the heck is the "eyes" thing after you "enter" at http://www.oyashirosama.com/web/enter.htm. I'll know eventually? Cause damn i hate creepy stuff like that
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 02:21   Link #43
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarOfMayo
But anyway Sushi-Y's sig drew me to this, good to know its a novel with no ero, but how is the "novel" experience compared to FSN? I was impressed from first playing FSN and how it did action sequences sooo well.
Yay, the sig worked. ^^;

Compare it to Fate? Hmm... my suggestion would be to not do that; these are two completely different games, they're both great, but in their unique ways. You'll only be disappointed if you start Higurashi expecting "something similiar to Fate/stay night".

My suggestion is to just start the game with a blank mind, and don't judge about what it's like (whether it's the visuals or story developments) until you have finished the game (or the first chapter, at least).

Experience wise, Higurashi is definately one of the best. Regardless of where we are now (Minagoroshi-hen, the 7th installment out of the planned 8, where most of the mystery has been solved), when the story was still rolling around in the early chapters, it was certainly gripping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarOfMayo
Just wondering is Higurashi like it in a sense or... more toward a plantarian or naucissa (sp?) sorta thing?
No, Higurashi is nothing like those games. ^^; Well, in terms of presentation, at least. Don't be fooled by all the publicity out for the game. Higurashi no Naku Koroni is not simply a horror-mystery game, it's got comedy, adventure, action, romance(?), and even sci-fi(??) elements to it. The game features countless laugh-out-loud moments throughout the chapters that you won't find anywhere else (there's a lot of otaku humor here, it's a doujin game after all). All of this serves as an excellent way for the reader to become familiar and attached to our main characters, so that when the serious and dark portion of the story comes into play, we'll find ourselves empathizing with the characters and sharing their viewpoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarOfMayo
Also how is the horror in this work, I've always been a coward lol. Like I said things like the FSN "darkness" scared the begeesus out of me. I was wondering am I gonna be jumping in my pants or... lol I don't even watch horror movies ;-;
Higurashi doesn't really have "jump-out-of-chair" scares (for me, at least), the scares in Higurashi doesn't surprise you either, but creeps up on you. The musics and sound effects do most of the scaring, not the visuals. If you play this game, do not turn down/off the sound. ^^; Then again, I don't see how there's anything remotely scary about the "darkness" you mentioned for Fate/stay night, so maybe you'll find Higurashi horrifying. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarOfMayo
Also (mmm lots of also lol), I understand through the horror description the element of blood on the theme for the website... but what the heck is the "eyes" thing after you "enter" at http://www.oyashirosama.com/web/enter.htm. I'll know eventually? Cause damn i hate creepy stuff like that
Oyashiro-sama? Don't worry, I think that only showed up a couple of times in the game.

In any case, you should head to the official site:
http://07th-expansion.net/Main.htm
and browse around for more info there.

Most importantly, you can download the trial version of the game there as well (the trial version contains the entire first chapter/installment of the game, Onikakushi-hen).
__________________
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 04:03   Link #44
JarOfMayo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
lol thanks for the answers, I was really drawn in by the sig in particular but I realized I knew about the anime earlier from checking new animes for this year, just surprised about the origins of this work and all (since the original anime site was pretty bland and undescriptive first time I looked at it). Was wondering what the heck it was until I saw this thread and realized it was a sound novel.

Will try out that trial chapter thingy lol i got used to the "darkness" just the first time it came from out of nowhere it was freaky. (excuses excuses lol )
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 04:58   Link #45
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Higurashi doesn't really have "jump-out-of-chair" scares (for me, at least), the scares in Higurashi doesn't surprise you either, but creeps up on you. The musics and sound effects do most of the scaring, not the visuals. If you play this game, do not turn down/off the sound. ^^;
I definitely agree. The sound and the music increases the creep factor ten fold, especially as you said, when it creeps up at you little by little.

But I have to admit, the first time I saw Rena's "oyashiro-mode" kick in, I freaked out.

And the manga does an excellent job at this too!
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 14:02   Link #46
JarOfMayo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Finished the trial chapter (Onikakushi) this morning...

I thought I should write out what I thought before taking a long break (since my spring break is over lol) since I have to wait my order to come in anyway for the next chapters.

But... I don't know the last portions really threw a screwball at me.

Spoiler for My thoughts on Onikakushi:


Some Tips stand out as strange or creepy lol like Reina-Rena, and especially Supamaat-nite. Not sure what the latter meant...

Anyway this should be a good reminder to myself when I start playing it again toward summer. Can't wait for the anime now lol
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 14:51   Link #47
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarOfMayo
Finished the trial chapter (Onikakushi) this morning...

I thought I should write out what I thought before taking a long break (since my spring break is over lol) since I have to wait my order to come in anyway for the next chapters.

But... I don't know the last portions really threw a screwball at me.
You'll definitely love Tatarigoroshi-hen ( ̄ー ̄)ニヤリッ

I'm so evil.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 17:21   Link #48
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarOfMayo
Finished the trial chapter (Onikakushi) this morning...

I thought I should write out what I thought before taking a long break (since my spring break is over lol) since I have to wait my order to come in anyway for the next chapters.

But... I don't know the last portions really threw a screwball at me.

Spoiler for My thoughts on Onikakushi:
Σ(゜д ゜;)
That's actually a very good analysis.

But yeah, compared to the next 2 chapters (Watanagashi and Tatarigoroshi), Onikakushi is only an appetizer. ^^
__________________
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 14:13   Link #49
Freakman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
As per Kj's request, I removed the most offending spoilers from my posts.
Sushi, can you remove them from your quote (post #42) if possible too ?
Freakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 18:56   Link #50
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
I can't find the delete post button, but either way, some of the posts took me an effort to type, so I'd rather keep them. I went through my posts in here once and wrapped most of the stuffs in named spoiler tags. If people still want to spoil themselves, then I can't do anything about it.

While I'm here, might as well add some news:

- Info on the consumer port of Higurashi, 「ひぐらしのく頃に祭」 has been released during the "Alchemist Festival 2006" back on the 16th.

The biggest change for the consumer port is probably the fact that the game characters and CGs will be completely redrawn.

Another major change is the addition of selection points, which is a very interesting addition indeed (will the player finally gain the ability to alter the final outcome?). The characters should be fully voiced by the same voice actors from the drama cd/anime as well.
__________________
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 15:54   Link #51
Eleutheria
旅行癖
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
BANZAI my games arrived in the mail today, all seven chapters on two discs. After a quick system change to Japanese, I now have quite a lot of procrastination material.

__________________
ロースクールに入ったから、アニメはもはやこれまでかな
日本語のレベルも段々退歩してるし~
Eleutheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 07:17   Link #52
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleutheria
BANZAI my games arrived in the mail today, all seven chapters on two discs. After a quick system change to Japanese, I now have quite a lot of procrastination material.

Congrats. Now it's just the matter of getting used to Ryukishi07's...err...unique character designs.

No trust me. Somehow the artwork grows upon you after you've played through the whole thing ww
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 10:47   Link #53
Eleutheria
旅行癖
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Congrats. Now it's just the matter of getting used to Ryukishi07's...err...unique character designs.

No trust me. Somehow the artwork grows upon you after you've played through the whole thing ww

No kidding. The first thing I noticed was, "whoa. She has four fingers."
__________________
ロースクールに入ったから、アニメはもはやこれまでかな
日本語のレベルも段々退歩してるし~
Eleutheria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 23:21   Link #54
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Okay......this really has both to do with the anime and the game, but the question really relates more to this part, so I'll ask it here.

I have yet to watch the anime, and I should be recieving my air-mail of Chapter 2 to 5 in about 2 weeks time.

Sushi-dono knows that I wasn't too thrilled about Onikakushi, and I just really want to ask if watching the few episodes will ruin the game experience from Chapter 2 onwards?
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 15:19   Link #55
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Okay......this really has both to do with the anime and the game, but the question really relates more to this part, so I'll ask it here.

I have yet to watch the anime, and I should be recieving my air-mail of Chapter 2 to 5 in about 2 weeks time.

Sushi-dono knows that I wasn't too thrilled about Onikakushi, and I just really want to ask if watching the few episodes will ruin the game experience from Chapter 2 onwards?
Well, in case you don't know yet, the anime's approach is to allocate a short series of episodes to cover each chapter (Episode 1 - 4 summed up Onikakushi, for example. 5 - 8 will probably make up Watanagashi, 9 - 12 would be Tatarigoroshi, etc.), this means that the anime story will be somewhat of a summarization compared to the game's original story: the important key events are all there, but lacks in detail for the rest of the story.

Still, Higurashi IS mainly a novel based around the suspense and mystery, so once you have seen the story once, the "whoa" impact value is bound to decrease. Some people care about this, some don't. Personally, I would go through the game first before watching the anime, because it has been pointed out through the first 4 episodes that the anime has made some misses / skipped some things which made things a little more confusing for anyone who haven't played the game. On the other hand, if you watch the anime first, then you will probably enjoy it better due to the freshness of the story + you wouldn't notice the rushed pacing as much.

In the end, it's up to you.
__________________
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 15:37   Link #56
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Well, in case you don't know yet, the anime's approach is to allocate a short series of episodes to cover each chapter (Episode 1 - 4 summed up Onikakushi, for example. 5 - 8 will probably make up Watanagashi, 9 - 12 would be Tatarigoroshi, etc.), this means that the anime story will be somewhat of a summarization compared to the game's original story: the important key events are all there, but lacks in detail for the rest of the story.

Still, Higurashi IS mainly a novel based around the suspense and mystery, so once you have seen the story once, the "whoa" impact value is bound to decrease. Some people care about this, some don't. Personally, I would go through the game first before watching the anime, because it has been pointed out through the first 4 episodes that the anime has made some misses / skipped some things which made things a little more confusing for anyone who haven't played the game. On the other hand, if you watch the anime first, then you will probably enjoy it better due to the freshness of the story + you wouldn't notice the rushed pacing as much.

In the end, it's up to you.
On the other hand, anime watchers are restricted as they don't have the intriguing TIPS on hand to complement the show. Care to help me out by translating some of the TIPS on the sticky at the top of this sub-forum?
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 02:36   Link #57
Freakman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
About episode 5:
Spoiler for Minagoroshi:
Freakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 03:22   Link #58
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakman
About episode 5:
Spoiler for Minagoroshi:
Oh yeah~ so I was wrong in the episode 5 thread about that opening scene being a Watanagashi event then. Oops (always forget details like that)

Spoiler for game players only, or for those who just can't seem to learn not to click on every button they see:
__________________
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 03:32   Link #59
Freakman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
About the openers :
Spoiler for obviously, lots of game spoilers:
Freakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-04, 18:03   Link #60
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Some random news that should be interesting for the gamers (yes, all 5 of us):

平成にひぐらしは

ほほ、面白いのが来た。
(The Maebara Suzu pic I posted in the other thread also came from this)

There's a "test" package available from the development diary:
ttp://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~dyaru/sinario_0.lzh
(just drag a copy of the higurashi exe (or a ncsr.exe from the downloaded nscripter package) into the extracted folder and run it)

Also, from that same diary, I found this:
http://www1.coralnet.or.jp/ar-80l/
Otsukaresama kai for Meakashi and Tsumihoroboshi! Finally! Closure (for me)!
__________________
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.